PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive printer

TravelGal
01-06-09, 02:30 AM
I'm asking about inexpensive, not "cheap" as in, I want the thing to be reliable and fairly small but it doesn't have to be super fast or print in color or in legal size. Just nice, readable B&W. I'm spending quite a bit of time on the east coast with TravelMom these days and we often need to print directions to restaurants or her friends' house. Maybe the odd silly email or reference from a web page. That's about it. So I need a printer to hook to my old dependable laptop and leave in Florida. Can I get one for $50-$70?

Also, should I be aware of newer cables that might not work with my nearly 5 year old laptop?

Methanolandbrats
01-06-09, 08:33 AM
Canon. Most reliable and sometimes you can find closeouts of old models for under $100. Check Staples.

chop456
01-06-09, 08:51 AM
I got a nice b&w HP Laserjet from Target about a year ago for $120. With lasers that cheap, I see no reason whatsoever to buy an inkjet. You can usually get a Samsung even cheaper than that on newegg.

Sean Malone
01-06-09, 09:33 AM
I'd hit up craig's list.

Methanolandbrats
01-06-09, 10:56 AM
I got a nice b&w HP Laserjet from Target about a year ago for $120. With lasers that cheap, I see no reason whatsoever to buy an inkjet. You can usually get a Samsung even cheaper than that on newegg.

Inexpensive Canon inkjet allows you to print photos and other stuff if you want to, that's the reason to consider it smartypants :gomer:. Cost per page for text is under 3 cents. For small volume text work, the inkjet gives you more options for very little cost. Canon printers also don't clog from infrequent use and they don't break.

ChampcarShark
01-06-09, 12:17 PM
I got an HP ink jet for about $60.00. been working with no problems for about 2 years.

I replaced a 5 year old HP ink jet machine that was installed on my children's pc and still running. the only thing I have done is a complete take apart and clean about two years ago.

dando
01-06-09, 12:22 PM
Canon printers also don't clog from infrequent use and they don't break.

I've got 2 photo printers now being used as doorstops that sez that ain't exactly the truth. :(

-Kevin

dando
01-06-09, 12:34 PM
Also, should I be aware of newer cables that might not work with my nearly 5 year old laptop?

Most printers should use USB connections nowadays, so cables should not be an issue. ~10 years ago printers primarily use printer cables (like the HP Laserjet IIIP that has served me well for 14 years now), but those went the way of the dinosaur.

I use Techbargains regularly to check for deals:

http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_8_1

I'd also suggest checking Wallyworld or Sam's for inexpensive printers. HP, Lexmark, and Canon are usually good bets for good quality (despite my personal bad experience with Canon photo printers). I picked up an HP laserjet @ Sam's a few years ago in the $60 range and it his served my 'rents well.

-Kevin

TravelGal
01-06-09, 06:56 PM
Most printers should use USB connections nowadays, so cables should not be an issue. ~10 years ago printers primarily use printer cables (like the HP Laserjet IIIP that has served me well for 14 years now), but those went the way of the dinosaur.

I use Techbargains regularly to check for deals:

http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_8_1

I'd also suggest checking Wallyworld or Sam's for inexpensive printers. HP, Lexmark, and Canon are usually good bets for good quality (despite my personal bad experience with Canon photo printers). I picked up an HP laserjet @ Sam's a few years ago in the $60 range and it his served my 'rents well.

-Kevin

I don't do Wallyworld or Sams but can check out a few other box stores. Good suggestions all. I may even try Freecycle. Thanks for the info the cables. BTW, I also have had horrid experiences with Canon. Prolly stick to HP or Lexmark and see what's on Staples close outs. That's where I bought my mom a $149 shredder for $49.99

Methanolandbrats
01-06-09, 07:08 PM
I've got 2 photo printers now being used as doorstops that sez that ain't exactly the truth. :(

-Kevin Weird. I"ve got two that have been on and churning away for years without missing a beat. Every single photographer friend of mine with Epson printers is switching to Canon because of clogging and calibration problems.

trish
01-06-09, 07:16 PM
I bought this (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1__252248_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH) from Staples last year. It's not just a printer but it is what I would consider small and the print quality is pretty good. They also have a refurbished one for $25. I don't know if these prices are local or nationwide, but I am also on the east coast.

Edit: Make that $29.99 on the refurb.

dando
01-06-09, 07:33 PM
Weird. I"ve got two that have been on and churning away for years without missing a beat. Every single photographer friend of mine with Epson printers is switching to Canon because of clogging and calibration problems.

I drank the Kool Aid and have a 3rd unit that has been good for the past year. Not sure if it's the off-brand ink or what. I did notice recently that the paper I bought from Sam's last year sucks biggie time compared to Canon Photo Plus Pro. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
01-06-09, 08:05 PM
Generic ink and a Canon printer is a recipe for disaster.

dcracer
01-06-09, 08:26 PM
In my opinion, avoid Lexmark at all costs. HP or Epson have never given me any troubles

Methanolandbrats
01-06-09, 08:51 PM
I drank the Kool Aid and have a 3rd unit that has been good for the past year. Not sure if it's the off-brand ink or what. I did notice recently that the paper I bought from Sam's last year sucks biggie time compared to Canon Photo Plus Pro. :(

-Kevin Factory ink only and Canon Paper on my end. A wedding shooter friend of mine just bought one of these http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=180&modelid=15694#ModelTechSpecsAct The box it came in filled up most of a one-car garage. He's got four Canon printers of various sizes running at least eight hours a day.-----> ink bill :eek:

ChampcarShark
01-06-09, 10:04 PM

I had problems once with generic ink for my HPs.

Guess it is the same for all brands.

Not sure about the paper, sam's paper has worked for me for the past 10 years.

dando
01-06-09, 10:30 PM

Well now you tell me. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
01-06-09, 10:32 PM

To be clear, the generic photo paper I purchased is not so good (blotchy).

-Kevin

extramundane
01-07-09, 10:32 AM
In my opinion, avoid Lexmark at all costs.

While I agree from a business perspective (I don't want anything other than HP coming in here ever again), a Lexmark all-in-one I inherited from the in-laws has been flawless at home.

TravelGal
01-07-09, 08:41 PM
I had problems once with generic ink for my HPs.

Guess it is the same for all brands.

TravelGuy had his printer fixed recently and the guy said that HP has the print head in the cartridge so if you get grey market stuff or refilled, you're in doo-doo with HP more than with other brands.

I'm liking the Staples refurb, Trish but it's pretty large for TravelMom's one BR apt. I might stick with HP. You reminded me to look at the refurb market though. Thanks!

pchall
01-07-09, 09:17 PM
Lexmark makes a good inkjet and laser printers and their bottom end printers are very reliable and cheap. The only problem I've run into is that for the individual user when they release the "final" version of the printer drivers package for a model you can kiss any further support goodbye. That can make buying NOS/discontinued and used printers problematic.

KLang
01-07-09, 09:20 PM
We've always had HP's at home with never a problem. Bought one of their network attached all-in-ones last year and it is great. Seems to be as fast as a laser.

A quick peek at Tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:242|m:1549|&Sort=4) shows 54 HP inkjet models starting at $19.99.

Insomniac
01-08-09, 12:07 PM
TravelGuy had his printer fixed recently and the guy said that HP has the print head in the cartridge so if you get grey market stuff or refilled, you're in doo-doo with HP more than with other brands.

Wouldn't that mean you're in less doo-doo? Just buy a new ink cart. You haven't harmed the printer in any way.

Insomniac
01-08-09, 12:09 PM
Since this has turned into a printer discussion thread as well, does toner ever dry up? I'm sick of my color carts printing like 2 pages and drying up. Thinking color laser, but if toner can "expire", I'll just stick with buying only B&W carts.

Sean Malone
01-08-09, 12:20 PM
My last HP bubble jet photo printer used 1 black and 1 photo color cartridge. they lasted quite awhile but when they went they were expensive. My new HP all in one uses separate color cartridges (like 5 or 6 little ones) and it seems like I replace those bastards every week.

Insomniac
01-08-09, 01:00 PM
My last HP bubble jet photo printer used 1 black and 1 photo color cartridge. they lasted quite awhile but when they went they were expensive. My new HP all in one uses separate color cartridges (like 5 or 6 little ones) and it seems like I replace those bastards every week.

I'm not joking here, but I bought a new color (the tri-color, non-jumbo type) and b&w ink cart 2/16/2007 and have printed 3 color pages. The last page didn't print properly. That's why I hate HP and their $30 color ink cartridges! Before that I bought the $50 "jumbo" one and maybe got 10 pages from it over a few years. The ink just dries up.

dando
01-08-09, 01:06 PM
Since this has turned into a printer discussion thread as well, does toner ever dry up? I'm sick of my color carts printing like 2 pages and drying up. Thinking color laser, but if toner can "expire", I'll just stick with buying only B&W carts.

I dunno about color toner carts, but my b&w carts have not dried out in my 14 yo HP laserjet. Bastard co$t $1200 :saywhat: @ the time, but over 14 years it's been worth every penny. Over that time, I've only replaced the carts 3-4 times (we print very infrequently).

-Kevin

cameraman
01-08-09, 02:01 PM

I've got a Phaser 6100 that has color toner cartridges in it that are 3+ years old and they work still just fine. I have it set to print B&W by default and as I own a Canon photo printer the number of plain paper color prints I make is minimal.

G.
01-08-09, 02:06 PM
I've killed two cheapie HP printers in the last year clearing paper jams.

One might be salvageable, the other pisses me off, even though it was free with a bundle. It pisses me off because I had JUST replaced the ink cartidges, thereby tripling it's value.:mad:

dando
01-08-09, 02:23 PM
I've killed two cheapie HP printers in the last year clearing paper jams.

One might be salvageable, the other pisses me off, even though it was free with a bundle. It pisses me off because I had JUST replaced the ink cartidges, thereby tripling it's value.:mad:

hjjac3Ns5Ig

:)

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-08-09, 06:50 PM
Wouldn't some clips from Office Space been better?

"PC Load Letter"? What the **** does that mean?

Insomniac
01-08-09, 06:52 PM
I dunno about color toner carts, but my b&w carts have not dried out in my 14 yo HP laserjet. Bastard co$t $1200 :saywhat: @ the time, but over 14 years it's been worth every penny. Over that time, I've only replaced the carts 3-4 times (we print very infrequently).

-Kevin

I've got a Phaser 6100 that has color toner cartridges in it that are 3+ years old and they work still just fine. I have it set to print B&W by default and as I own a Canon photo printer the number of plain paper color prints I make is minimal.

Cool. I'm going to keep an eye open for color laser printers. Of course, now they are getting "smart" and putting chips on the carts to tell you you're out of ink based on the number of pages you printed, not the actual amount of toner left.

dando
01-08-09, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't some clips from Office Space been better?

"PC Load Letter"? What the **** does that mean?

O_ggX8AJsLI

:gomer:

zrs5S5gOgAU

-Kevin