PDA

View Full Version : Elan/Green Prix Both Toast

NismoZ
01-05-09, 07:24 PM
Green Prix has bitten the dust and Elan Motorsports has folded, since that was going to be their only business...DP01s. (All according to a pink-slipped former employee at www.Mulsannescorner.com) I think I'm pretty much toast myself.:( 18 pretty good people looking for work. Anybody help 'em out?

Andrew Longman
01-05-09, 08:33 PM
Shame. Especially Elan.

Gnam
01-05-09, 08:59 PM
Seems like yesterday they were cranking out those new DP01s. :(

No more Panoz GT2? :thumdown:
No more Panoz G-Force IRL sleds? :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-05-09, 09:17 PM
:(

nissan gtp
01-05-09, 09:40 PM
that's not how I read the link:

On December 19, myself, and 17 others, were laid off from Elan Motorsports.
says 17 lost jobs, not that Elan,Panoz, or anything else closed down.

yet, anyhow.

pchall
01-05-09, 09:57 PM
I doubt Elan itself is in trouble. They make and service a lot more cars than DP01s and Esperantes. Check their site.

TravelGal
01-06-09, 02:33 AM
I think I'm pretty much toast myself.:( 18 pretty good people looking for work. Anybody help 'em out?

Very sorry to hear that Nismo. I wish I could help but I'm "only a fan." I'll call upon the racing gods to find you all some place good to work.

opinionated ow
01-06-09, 02:49 AM
No Marijuana Racing League? What a surprise...

NismoZ
01-06-09, 12:09 PM
True, GTP...layoffs not closing, but serious stuff. I never believed the GreenPrix idea was going to fly anyway but it was an interesting concept if nothing else. Like it says, EMT's slide began awhile ago and the failure of GreenPrix is accelerating it. I should have said "is folding?" I also regret any wording that made it sound like I am connected with EMT. I am not. The "toast" and :( were just me whining about the effects of the poor economy on auto racing and my hopes for it's future. Just a fan.

Mike Lawler
01-06-09, 01:50 PM
I never believed the GreenPrix idea was going to fly anyway but it was an interesting concept if nothing else. Like it says, EMT's slide began awhile ago and the failure of GreenPrix is accelerating it.

Is this the same Green Prix that has the Atlantics scheduled in Savannah in May? Wonder if the show will go on?

NismoZ
01-06-09, 03:08 PM
AR1 got a quick reply from EMT's CEO saying much of Elan's business is in the aerospace, aviation and military areas and remains strong with a full order book.. Superleague has announced a complete schedule for '09 and EMT has reached agreement with a major North American race series to take over all manufacturing and distribution of it's parts. (any guesses?) Announcement in near future. EMT also builds IMSA Lites, Formula SCCA,the Panoz Esparante and provides parts and track support for Star Mazda and other series. He notes also all Van Diemen North American race car business has been transferred to Georgia to better serve it's customers. (exchange rate, I assume?) The recent layoffs came with no new design/build programs on the horizon and seemed prudent given the current economy.. Good news for all except the 18 pink-slipped, I suppose.

NismoZ
01-06-09, 03:19 PM
The guy who bought the Atlantic series, Ben Johnston, IS/was the Green Prix guy. I hope the future of F-Atlantic wasn't tied to the GreenPrix idea. Not that the Atlantic Series will be anything like it once was.:( People serious about moving up now will likely have to go to Indy Lites for the best shot at open wheel success here. (Could THAT be the "major series" EMT mentioned?)

miatanut
01-06-09, 07:54 PM
( People serious about moving up now will likely have to go to Indy Lites for the best shot at open wheel success here. (Could THAT be the "major series" EMT mentioned?)

EMT is on Tony's hate list for doing business with the enemy, so not likely.

pchall
01-06-09, 09:20 PM
People serious about moving up now will likely have to go to Indy Lites for the best shot at open wheel success here. (Could THAT be the "major series" EMT mentioned?)

IPS is a one way road to career oblivion in the IRL.

NismoZ
01-06-09, 11:26 PM
So true.

FCYTravis
01-07-09, 01:04 PM
On Facebook, Mike reported that of 60+ EMT employees last year, more than 40 have been laid off.

NismoZ
01-07-09, 04:32 PM
If that is accurate CEO Bowes MUST be seriously worried... as well as prudent.

pchall
01-07-09, 04:55 PM
I doubt that the Atlantic Championship is toast. It has teams, cars, drivers with cash and is tied mostly to the ALMS series for 2009. When they aren't racing on ALMS weekends they are the featured event of the weekend. Green Prix's 2 events other than Savannah seem to have been attached to established Atlantic events. Anyway, only Savannah may be in doubt, but I think it will come off as the Atlantic opener anyhow since the track is there and has been worked on.

extramundane
01-07-09, 06:50 PM
I doubt that the Atlantic Championship is toast. It has teams, cars, drivers with cash and is tied mostly to the ALMS series for 2009

At this point, that seems a bit like being tied mostly to CCWS for 2004. But they're rather used to opening for a broke-dick headliner, so hopefully they pull it off yet again.