PDA

View Full Version : Spyware/adware problems

meadors
01-05-09, 05:05 AM
Has anyone noticed the incredible amount of malware popping up out there? Maybe I've ignorantly neglecting maintenance of my antivirus, spyware scans and firewall monitoring, but I now have some serious problems that will not go away or even let me download help to clean things up.

Looking at the forums at spybot SD, they are swamped with requests for help and waiting time is over three or four days now.

I'm thinking of just saving my important files to CD and reformating the whole computer. Any ideas?

trish
01-05-09, 07:44 AM
Your idea sounds good.

Cam
01-05-09, 08:40 AM
I run linux. So no. :)

My work computer which is XP, No. Methinks corporate defences are getting better.

Insomniac
01-05-09, 12:16 PM
I've noticed more attacks. Specifically Acrobat exploits (I disable the acrobat plug-in so the only option is to save/open PDFs) and malware attacks embedded in HTML. Our AV has been blocking it all though.

Reformatting is the most thorough. If you aren't certain of what has gotten through, it's also likely the best solution because you just won't know if you cleaned it up.

nrc
01-05-09, 12:29 PM
The only problem with the backup, format, and start over approach is that you need to make sure that none of the utilities or programs that you have intentionally installed is actually malware. Otherwise you'll be right back where you started.

ChampcarShark
01-05-09, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking of just saving my important files to CD and reformating the whole computer. Any ideas?

That is usually the last resort. Ten again it is the best way to know for sure that your computer is clean.

Like nrc says be careful on the programs that you re-install.

SurfaceUnits
01-05-09, 02:40 PM
Ad Aware has taken care of anything that has hit my PC

G.
01-05-09, 03:01 PM
I've noticed more attacks. Specifically Acrobat exploits (I disable the acrobat plug-in so the only option is to save/open PDFs) and malware attacks embedded in HTML. Our AV has been blocking it all though.

Ah crap. That's why Adobe Flash needed to update my registry settings this AM.

Thanks Spybot! Denied.

EDwardo
01-05-09, 06:37 PM
If you are using Firefox I strongly recommend adding "noscript" which you can find at Mozilla.com.