PDA

View Full Version : ATT U-Verse

Methanolandbrats
01-02-09, 01:07 PM
Anyone have it for TV and innerweb? I have Charter now and they suck for various reasons. ATT says they will be in my area "soon".

dando
01-02-09, 01:20 PM
Anyone have it for TV and innerweb? I have Charter now and they suck for various reasons. ATT says they will be in my area "soon".

:laugh:

They've been marketing here for over a year, and they still aren't in my area, and I don't live in the boonies either. :shakehead I have a bud that had TWC and now has Uverse. I'll see what he thinks. The inlaws have DSL through AT&T and it sucks just a little bit less than dialup. :saywhat: Initially Uverse only offered one inbound HD broadcast, but I've heard they were improving that.

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
01-02-09, 01:40 PM
I don't have it because I don't watch $60 of TV a year, much less a month; although ATT's gawdalful box colony - 6 of them - is just 300ft down the road

Insomniac
01-02-09, 06:20 PM
There were a couple threads talking about it on here:

Also, try searching for "u-verse" (with the quotes). Some threads veered into talking about U-Verse.

Indy
01-15-09, 01:26 AM
I have it. I am relatively satisfied with the product, while also being appalled by the customer "service." Some things about it are better than others. What do you want to know?

Dave99
01-15-09, 08:26 AM
U-verse's monthly rate is comparable to satellite or cable service, but for me their U200 package (which includes a DVR) gives me a handful of channels I didn't previously get, and also saves me from a monthly TiVo fee.

Also, U-verse's DVR has a 120 hour capacity (all high quality) and can record four programs at the same time, a feature I am very much looking forward to putting into use when racing season gets underway.

The only real drawback for me is the U-verse remote and on-screen guide is so dang user-UN-friendly compared to TiVo's. And as with Satellite service, U-verse requires a receiver for each individual television.

But at least the signal is uninterrupted and service is not susceptible to signal loss due to dish location, microwave oven use or climate conditions like satellite service is.

A pleasant surprise is that my Interent connection has not disconnected once in over two weeks, unlike my old DSL modem which disconnected at will. :saywhat:

JLMannin
01-15-09, 01:16 PM
I have it. I am relatively satisfied with the product, while also being appalled by the customer "service." Some things about it are better than others. What do you want to know?

Are you required to have a land-line phone to get U-verse?

Ed_Severson
01-15-09, 01:43 PM
Are you required to have a land-line phone to get U-verse?

No. My wife and I switched over to U-Verse about a month ago. We've got the U200 TV package, which offers a better channel lineup, identical upload/download speeds on internet service, and VoIP for about $70 per month less than we were paying the nitwits at Comcast. Unlike Indy, I haven't experienced any problems with customer service, at least not yet.

If you have AT&T as your wireless phone provider they can consolidate your bill and your voicemail box, which seems like a nice feature. The DVR functionality is pretty nice, but as mentioned above, we currently only get 1 HD feed at a time, and the menu system is a bit cantankerous. Best feature so far, IMO, is being able to control scheduled recordings over the internet, so no more "oh crap, I forgot to set up that recording" moments while out of town for the weekend.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-09, 01:50 PM
I asked because I have Charter expanded basic, no HD and it's expensive. The cable innernet is dead nuts reliable, but slow at times. Customer service is horrible. I had a cable down in my driveway for days before they came to fix it. When I reported it they asked if I had service, I said "yes". Given that it worked they felt the cable across my drive was no big deal. I propped it up with a stick so I could drive out and they eventually showed up.

chop456
01-15-09, 02:24 PM
That'll teach you to tell the truth. :D

Indy
01-15-09, 11:30 PM
Unlike Indy, I haven't experienced any problems with customer service, at least not yet.

Wait until you have a problem. Then you'll learn. :laugh:

They do keep upgrading the service. Like now I can use the DVR from each TV instead of just from the main TV. Plus, now I think I can have two HD feeds. Apparently these upgrades come in waves, so some areas get them earlier than others.

My opinion is that it is a good, reasonably priced option for casual users. If you are hard core about TV or internet, you will be disappointed.

By the way, when you sign up make sure you hold out for extra incentives. I got a total of $250 in gift cards and rebate checks, and I got two free months of U400.

indyfan31
10-28-09, 07:34 PM
I signed up for u-verse a week ago, the U200 package, so far so good.
I'm getting HD now which I didn't have with DirecTV, internet speed is about 5 times faster, and unlimited Long distance which I had cancelled to save money.
All for about $7 more than I was paying AT&T and DirecTV before.

I have a question for any electrical/electronic engineers out there.

The internet signal enters the house through the phone line, into the modem/router, then is distributed to the rest of the house through the AC lines. Very cool, very efficient. However, if I can pick up the signal from any outlet in the house, what's to stop any of my neighbors using uVerse (and sharing the transformer on the pole) from piggybacking on my connection (assuming they paid for a slower speed), or even trying to hack into my home network?

Indy
10-28-09, 08:06 PM
Through the AC? I have never heard of that.

I have U-Verse and the internet comes through a wireless router.

Gnam
10-28-09, 08:25 PM
To distribute the internet signal thru the house, is there a box you plug into the wall socket first and then plug the internet line into the box ?

indyfan31
10-28-09, 11:09 PM
Through the AC? I have never heard of that.

I have U-Verse and the internet comes through a wireless router.

For the laptops in the house, we use the wireless router. the desktop was always hardwired to the router. Now that the router is in another room the AC solution is perfect.

indyfan31
10-28-09, 11:10 PM
To distribute the internet signal thru the house, is there a box you plug into the wall socket first and then plug the internet line into the box ?

Yup. Ethernet out of the router to a black box that plugs in, then an identical black box in the other room with a ethernet cable coming out of it.