PDA

View Full Version : DVD AV Recorders and Copy Protection

SurfaceUnits
12-30-08, 11:57 PM
Any one noticing more copy protection issues recently?

See this discussion:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15098772

Insomniac
12-31-08, 12:29 AM
Looks like it's the dreaded broadcast flag. I've been fine with my DVRs. Be interesting to know if people using Windows Media Center are having problems too.

KLang
12-31-08, 08:43 AM
I record all sorts of things on my Dish DVR's and no problems so far. This kind of recording should be allowed though. We may get to the point where an HDMI connection is required to play back at full resolution.

Rogue Leader
12-31-08, 08:57 AM
DVRs don't have this issue because they are recording the raw feed from the cable service. These DVD-R setups they have are using a tuner that transmits to the recorder (even if it is built in), hence the issue.

Elmo T
12-31-08, 09:07 AM
I put stuff on the DVR, then transfer to the DVD recorder so the kids can watch it in the van. I haven't had any issues - but these are usually movies with no commercials.

ChampcarShark
12-31-08, 04:08 PM
I put stuff on the DVR, then transfer to the DVD recorder so the kids can watch it in the van. I haven't had any issues - but these are usually movies with no commercials.

same here, dvr to video recorder. the only issue is when satellite decides to go blank and only records half a movie.

Insomniac
12-31-08, 04:35 PM
DVRs don't have this issue because they are recording the raw feed from the cable service. These DVD-R setups they have are using a tuner that transmits to the recorder (even if it is built in), hence the issue.

My DVR records form an antenna in addition to satellite. The feeds should still pass through any broadcast flags. The question would be, does the DVR honor them? I'd guess no because when people were having trouble recording some NBC shows earlier this year, I don't recall TiVo or DirecTV DVR owners complaining.

SurfaceUnits
01-19-09, 05:35 PM
Fox was sending out the block during 24 and Am. Idol. Haven't noticed it anywhere else