PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Computer

Tifosi24
12-25-08, 02:42 PM
I think the time has come for a new computer. The wife and I have a laptop right now, which is serviceable, but we are looking for a desktop this time around. I am not as big into computers as I use to, so I need a little help with what rig would work best for us. For me, all I ask for is a computer that can run rFactor at a reasonable level and any other good racing games. To my knowledge, there haven't been any good racing title released lately, so that should help me. I am looking for something in the range of 600-900, with everything, which is tough because I am to pricing much more expensive units. My wife's requirements are that it runs smoothly and that is about it. She is not a big gamer. Before closing, I should also say that I am not averse to upgrading ram or video cards, so if a cheaper unit at the beginning is an option with future upgradability, I am not scared of that, in fact upgradability is also part of my buying decision. Thanks much everyone, it got a little rambling, but that is how I am. Merry Christmas.

SteveH
12-25-08, 04:08 PM
My son just "built" a higher performance PC for approx. $375 w/o LCD monitor. He had a Windows install disk though. Just a thought to consider since you are not adverse to upgrades.

Insomniac
12-25-08, 05:25 PM
I'd suggest you decide exactly how much you want to spend and work backwards from there. The configurations are endless. You should have no trouble replacing the video card, adding RAM (as long as you pay a tiny bit extra now to ensure you have empty slots so you don't have to replace RAM), adding a HD or even getting a faster CPU in the future. Just note that if you have one component way better than others, something may end up bottlenecking performance.

I wasn't sure what rFactor was, so I had to look it up. On their site they say:

# Runs Best With Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor
# Windows XP
# 2048 MB RAM
# Geforce 7900 GT or Radeon X1900 GT
# 256 MB video RAM
# DirectX 9.0c
# 2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation
# Internet connection required for one-time activation

The CPU and Video Cards were released 2 years ago and neither was top of the line at the time.

SurfaceUnits
12-27-08, 12:31 PM
Here's my next system:

General Information
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Manufacturer Part Number: KN437AA#ABA
Manufacturer Website Address: www.hp.com
Product Line: Pavilion
Product Name: Pavilion Elite m9270.ch Desktop
Product Type: Desktop Computer

Processor & Chipset
Processor: 1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
Processor Technology: Virtualization Technology
Processor Technology: Enhanced SpeedStep Technology
Processor Technology: EM64T
Bus Speed: 1066MHz
Chipset: Intel G33 Express

Memory
Standard Memory: 4GB
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Standard: DDR2-800/PC2-6400

Storage
Hard Drive: 2 x 500GB Serial ATA/300 7200 rpm
Optical Drive: HD DVD/BD-Reader/DVD-Writer - HD DVD-ROM/BD-ROM/DVD-RAM/±R/±RW with LightScribe
Optical Drive: DVD-Reader - DVD-ROM (Serial ATA)

Controllers
Controller: Serial ATA

Display & Graphics
Graphics Controller: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3

Network & Communication
Network: Wi-Fi - IEEE 802.11b/g
Network: Gigabit Ethernet - IEEE 802.3ab

Interfaces/Ports
Ports: 1 x mini-DIN S-Video Out
Ports: 1 x S/PDIF Out Rear
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Audio Line Out Front
Ports: 1 x 6-pin mini-DIN (PS/2) Mouse Rear
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Side Speakers Out Rear
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Rear Speakers Out Rear
Ports: 1 x IEEE 1394a - FireWire Rear
Ports: 1 x 6-pin mini-DIN (PS/2) Keyboard Rear
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Subwoofer/Center Speaker Out Rear
Ports: 1 x Infrared On Memory Card Reader
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Headphone Front
Ports: 2 x DL DVI-I
Ports: 2 x 4-pin Type A USB Front
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Microphone Front
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Microphone Rear
Ports: 1 x S/PDIF In Rear
Ports: 4 x 4-pin Type A USB Rear
Ports: 1 x Mini-phone Audio Line In Rear
Ports: 1 x IEEE 1394 - FireWire Front
Ports: 1 x RJ-45 Network Rear

Software
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1

Subtotal: $331.99

Shipping & Handling Fee: $14.59
Estimated Sales Tax: $0.00

Grand Total: $346.58

You can get XP for $90 and dual boot for your games

Insomniac
12-27-08, 06:11 PM
Here's my next system:

General Information

Processor & Chipset

Memory

Storage
Optical Drive: HD DVD/BD-Reader/DVD-Writer - HD DVD-ROM/BD-ROM/DVD-RAM/±R/±RW with LightScribe

Controllers

Display & Graphics

Network & Communication

Interfaces/Ports

Software

That's a pretty good deal! Street price on the CPU alone is ~$180.

FTG
12-27-08, 06:36 PM
Admit it: you want to play Rfactor on a 52 inch HD screen. You deserve to play Rfactor on a 52 inch HD screen.

www.alienware.com

oddlycalm
12-27-08, 09:46 PM
Here's my next system:
Hope you bought it when you saw it.

oc

cameraman
12-27-08, 11:49 PM
A screaming deal as that optical drive will run you $125 alone.

Sean Malone
12-28-08, 12:02 AM
I think the time has come for a new computer. The wife and I have a laptop right now, which is serviceable, but we are looking for a desktop this time around. I am not as big into computers as I use to, so I need a little help with what rig would work best for us. For me, all I ask for is a computer that can run rFactor at a reasonable level and any other good racing games. To my knowledge, there haven't been any good racing title released lately, so that should help me. I am looking for something in the range of 600-900, with everything, which is tough because I am to pricing much more expensive units. My wife's requirements are that it runs smoothly and that is about it. She is not a big gamer. Before closing, I should also say that I am not averse to upgrading ram or video cards, so if a cheaper unit at the beginning is an option with future upgradability, I am not scared of that, in fact upgradability is also part of my buying decision. Thanks much everyone, it got a little rambling, but that is how I am. Merry Christmas.

From a long time PC geek... two options I now recommend...1, drive to store, buy any computer, take it home, plug it in...be happy, or 2) order any computer online...wait for it to arrive...plug it in...be happy.

Enjoy. :)

dando
12-28-08, 12:32 AM
Here's my next system:

General Information

Processor & Chipset

Memory

Storage

Controllers

Display & Graphics

Network & Communication

Interfaces/Ports

Software

Nice. Does she have a sister? :)

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-30-08, 02:03 AM
I have a question. Please excuse/ignore if it is totally too weirdly doofus to answer.

Now that Blu-ray has won the war, aren't we going to have to upgrade drives or something in the next year or so to be able to play those discs to their full capability? Or are the the DVD parts of the current computers already Blu-ray? Or does that make any sense? :gomer:

nissan gtp
12-30-08, 08:51 AM
I have a question. Please excuse/ignore if it is totally too weirdly doofus to answer.

Now that Blu-ray has won the war, aren't we going to have to upgrade drives or something in the next year or so to be able to play those discs to their full capability? Or are the the DVD parts of the current computers already Blu-ray? Or does that make any sense? :gomer:

It does make sense. current CD and DVD drives can't play BR disks, so new hardware and software will be needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129015

Insomniac
12-30-08, 11:54 AM

The only thing on BR right now are movies. If you want to play movies back on your computer, then you need a BR drive. If you want to back up even more data per disc, then you would want to consider a BR burner. I'd say we're at least 3 years away from the point where someone releases software on BR only.

Insomniac
12-30-08, 11:56 AM
It does make sense. current CD and DVD drives can't play BR disks, so new hardware and software will be needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129015

I'd recommend a BR burner for $200 if you were going to buy a BR ROM for $150.

ChampcarShark
12-30-08, 12:05 PM
From a long time PC geek... two options I now recommend...1, drive to store, buy any computer, take it home, plug it in...be happy, or 2) order any computer online...wait for it to arrive...plug it in...be happy.

Enjoy. :)

That is my philosophy too.

I go to circuit city (never liked the pushy sales persons at best buy), get a machine order memory from the net. get rid of all those pesky trial software, games, isp offers, norton av, install avg, spybot, zone alarm, productive software and be happy.

I have learned,by trial and error (and maxing out my credit cards) that OEM machines last a bit longer than building your own. For some reason the aftermarket motherboards go bad really quick.

when memory arrives, even happier.

cameraman
12-30-08, 02:06 PM
Now that Blu-ray has won the war, aren't we going to have to upgrade drives or something in the next year or so to be able to play those discs to their full capability?

There is no earthly reason to buy a bluray version of a movie unless you have some 50+ inch 1080P, 120 Hz, high end HDTV to watch it on. The DVD unit in your computer will suffice for years to come.

Methanolandbrats
12-30-08, 02:29 PM
That is my philosophy too.

I go to circuit city (never liked the pushy sales persons at best buy), get a machine order memory from the net. get rid of all those pesky trial software, games, isp offers, norton av, install avg, spybot, zone alarm, productive software and be happy.

I have learned,by trial and error (and maxing out my credit cards) that OEM machines last a bit longer than building your own. For some reason the aftermarket motherboards go bad really quick.

when memory arrives, even happier. I have not seen any difference between store bought or roll your own computers when it comes to failure. The big difference is the built to spec one is upgradable and I have a disk of the OS, so when it's time to move on I just rebuild, install the OS and get a new registration code from Mr. Softy. :gomer:

dando
12-30-08, 02:47 PM
There is no earthly reason to buy a bluray version of a movie unless you have some 50+ inch 1080P, 120 Hz, high end HDTV to watch it on. The DVD unit in your computer will suffice for years to come.

The recent configs I've been seeing on Techbargains have be BR drives. :saywhat: Makes sense for data, but not viewing flicks.

-Kevin

cameraman
12-30-08, 04:31 PM
Makes sense for data, but not viewing flicks.

-Kevin

I'm not so sure it makes sense for data. A 6x 50 Gb disk runs >$30 and would take quite a while to burn. For the same money I can get a 50 disk spindle of 8x DVD+R DL. 425 Gb vs 50 Gb.

The only thing BD-R disks make sense for is video work and nobody in their right mind does video work on a techbargain machine:saywhat:

Cam
12-30-08, 05:45 PM
The big difference is the built to spec one is upgradable and I have a disk of the OS, so when it's time to move on I just rebuild, install the OS and get a new registration code from Mr. Softy. :gomer:

Or you could grow some nads and just say no to Redmond. :thumdown:

Insomniac
12-30-08, 06:11 PM
I'm not so sure it makes sense for data. A 6x 50 Gb disk runs >$30 and would take quite a while to burn. For the same money I can get a 50 disk spindle of 8x DVD+R DL. 425 Gb vs 50 Gb.

The only thing BD-R disks make sense for is video work and nobody in their right mind does video work on a techbargain machine:saywhat:

8x is only 33% faster than 6x. (Note that they have kept the 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, etc. times about the same as they were with CDs). So a 4x CD, DVD and BR should all take about the same time to fill completely. They make sense for data backup if you have more than a DL DVD can hold. I'd rather backup to a single disc than multiple discs. $3 for a blank 25GB BR disc.

As with all other optical media, it's still in it's early stages and it will eventually become standard as DVD has now. Early adopters always pay more.

Insomniac
12-30-08, 06:15 PM
I have not seen any difference between store bought or roll your own computers when it comes to failure. The big difference is the built to spec one is upgradable and I have a disk of the OS, so when it's time to move on I just rebuild, install the OS and get a new registration code from Mr. Softy. :gomer:

I'd say the differences now are mostly down to how much work you have to put into it, warranties and pre-installed software. At least for me, once I started working full time in the software industry, computers were no longer a hobby. I'd rather buy pre-built because I don't want to maintain the PC or worry about parts. Just work. All my gaming is on consoles now. I don't have the desire to make things work or tinker. Using a computer all day for work ruins the hobby.

Sean Malone
12-30-08, 08:29 PM
I have not seen any difference between store bought or roll your own computers when it comes to failure. The big difference is the built to spec one is upgradable and I have a disk of the OS, so when it's time to move on I just rebuild, install the OS and get a new registration code from Mr. Softy. :gomer:

I'd rather be drinking beer on my boat. My wife recently bought a cheapy HP with all the bells and whistles for $350 sans monitor. Nicer and faster than any PC I've ever built and it has support that actually pretends to care. Ever try talking to an ASUS rep?

Save your time and money.

Methanolandbrats
12-30-08, 10:15 PM
I'd rather be drinking beer on my boat. My wife recently bought a cheapy HP with all the bells and whistles for $350 sans monitor. Nicer and faster than any PC I've ever built and it has support that actually pretends to care. Ever try talking to an ASUS rep?

Save your time and money.
I don't have a boat :gomer:

TravelGal
12-31-08, 03:25 PM
The only thing on BR right now are movies. If you want to play movies back on your computer, then you need a BR drive. If you want to back up even more data per disc, then you would want to consider a BR burner. I'd say we're at least 3 years away from the point where someone releases software on BR only.

I had read both of these thoughts elsewhere but thank you all for taking the time to confirm them. When we get the new TV (in about 3 years unless this one cr@ps out before then), we'll be sure to get the 1080P and be Blu-ray ready. The travel tech guy I read says the difference is jawdropping if you have the right screen for playback.

.....At least for me, once I started working full time in the software industry, computers were no longer a hobby. I'd rather buy pre-built because I don't want to maintain the PC or worry about parts. Just work. All my gaming is on consoles now. I don't have the desire to make things work or tinker. Using a computer all day for work ruins the hobby.

Insomniac, you have just described why I buy my vacations from tour operators instead of cobbling together a string of travel agent discounts. It does have the advantage of my finding the best deals that I can subsequently offer clients but it's mainly because I just can't stand spending a hundred hours on my own vacation because it's what I do for WORK!

Insomniac
12-31-08, 04:30 PM
I had read both of these thoughts elsewhere but thank you all for taking the time to confirm them. When we get the new TV (in about 3 years unless this one cr@ps out before then), we'll be sure to get the 1080P and be Blu-ray ready. The travel tech guy I read says the difference is jawdropping if you have the right screen for playback.

My personal opinion is that there is a noticeable difference between upscaled DVD and BR. At least for me, it doesn't need to be side-by-side to tell. However, I'd say the jump from VHS to DVD is much bigger than upscaled DVD to BR. I wouldn't replace any of my DVDs with BR ones for purely picture quality reasons. There is simply more video data that just can't be extrapolated from DVD. Any quality HDTV display (720 or 1080) looks pretty good. HDTV is just heads and shoulders above regular TV. There's no comparison. The 720p vs. 1080p debate is complex. So many factors play into it. In 3 years, I'd expect every quality display to be 1080p and have the necessary connections (they all do now) for a BR player.

Insomniac
12-31-08, 04:32 PM
Insomniac, you have just described why I buy my vacations from tour operators instead of cobbling together a string of travel agent discounts. It does have the advantage of my finding the best deals that I can subsequently offer clients but it's mainly because I just can't stand spending a hundred hours on my own vacation because it's what I do for WORK!

Shouldn't you be able to put a vacation together in less than 100 hours? That's like 50 clients a year. ;)

oddlycalm
01-01-09, 05:34 PM
I'd rather be drinking beer on my boat.
Sure, but if it was your job to drink beer on your boat you'd soon be singing a different tune....:D

oc

Sean Malone
01-02-09, 09:59 AM
My personal opinion is that there is a noticeable difference between upscaled DVD and BR. At least for me, it doesn't need to be side-by-side to tell. However, I'd say the jump from VHS to DVD is much bigger than upscaled DVD to BR. I wouldn't replace any of my DVDs with BR ones for purely picture quality reasons. There is simply more video data that just can't be extrapolated from DVD. Any quality HDTV display (720 or 1080) looks pretty good. HDTV is just heads and shoulders above regular TV. There's no comparison. The 720p vs. 1080p debate is complex. So many factors play into it. In 3 years, I'd expect every quality display to be 1080p and have the necessary connections (they all do now) for a BR player.

I have yet to see an upconverting DVD player come close to the quality of a BR (or even the defunct HDDVD) on a TV larger than 40".

KLang
01-02-09, 10:23 AM
I have yet to see an upconverting DVD player come close to the quality of a BR (or even the defunct HDDVD) on a TV larger than 40".

To me it is somewhat noticable on our 55" SXRD. Very noticable difference on the D-ILA projector at 120".

Insomniac
01-02-09, 06:13 PM

I think as with most things, there are different levels of quality in upscaling. Those processors vary widely in quality and price. I can see the difference, just saying, I'm not going to dump a DVD I paid $15-$20 for to replace it with a BR that costs $25. (I probably never paid $15-$20 for a DVD, but my main point was that it doesn't look like complete crap upscaled.)

oddlycalm
01-02-09, 06:59 PM
I'd not pay any premium for a BD drive on a computer unless it was doing HT duty. When they cost the same $25 we pay for any other burner I'll have one.

Then I'll be able to use the massively bloated Nero 9 to to burn and view HD movies on the slowest and most awkward media player ever invented. :shakehead WTF were they thinking on that one ...?

oc

ChampcarShark
01-02-09, 07:02 PM
So Tifosi24, what computer you ended up buying??? :confused::confused::confused:

ChampcarShark
01-02-09, 07:58 PM
How would you like to have this image
as background???

http://www.fullfondos.com/varios/Error_Fatal_Windows/Error_Fatal_Windows.htm

Insomniac
01-03-09, 11:32 AM
I'd not pay any premium for a BD drive on a computer unless it was doing HT duty. When they cost the same $25 we pay for any other burner I'll have one.

Then I'll be able to use the massively bloated Nero 9 to to burn and view HD movies on the slowest and most awkward media player ever invented. :shakehead WTF were they thinking on that one ...?

oc

It seems like everything has to be bloated. It must add more features in every version. How about a version that only optimizes the previous one?

Tifosi24
01-03-09, 01:04 PM
So Tifosi24, what computer you ended up buying??? :confused::confused::confused:

I ended up getting an Inspiron 518 with the following components:

My Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
No Productivity software pre-installed
1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Dell S1909WX 19 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell Multimedia Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
No Floppy Drive or Media Card Reader
No Modem Option
Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless Network Card
My Software & Accessories
Dell AX210 2.0 Speaker
McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
My Service
Dell Remote Access, free basic service
Also Includes
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Windows Vista™ Premium
No DataSafe

The current price on this bad boy is significantly higher than the price I got just three days ago, so I am happy. The only thing I wasn't totally happy about was that I couldn't get the 4gig of RAM on 2 DIMM, so when I upgrade I will have to pull perfectly good RAM.

On the upgrade front, how difficult is it to upgrade RAM on an Inspiron laptop. My laptop is in good shape except for two missing keys and it being bogged down with only 512mb RAM. I can upgrade it to 2gig of RAM, in other words it will be good forever, for less than 80 bucks. There is an outside chance that I will go back to school and I would love to have a ton of RAM if I happen to run a statistical analysis program on the laptop.

Tifosi24
01-03-09, 01:07 PM
It seems like everything has to be bloated. It must add more features in every version. How about a version that only optimizes the previous one?

Bloated crap on the computer is the main reason I tried having Dell load as little on my new computer as possible. They always want to put Works on your computer, but I will be buying Office in the future, which makes for pointless Microsoft programs.

extramundane
01-03-09, 02:16 PM
On the upgrade front, how difficult is it to upgrade RAM on an Inspiron laptop.

Unless they did something odd for that particular model, it's just a one-screw panel on the underside of the laptop (It probably had a "M" on or near it originally, but if it's more than a couple years old, it's probably worn off). It'll take you longer to get the RAM out of the plastic clamshell package than to actually change it.

Insomniac
01-03-09, 04:25 PM
Bloated crap on the computer is the main reason I tried having Dell load as little on my new computer as possible. They always want to put Works on your computer, but I will be buying Office in the future, which makes for pointless Microsoft programs.

I uninstall pretty much everything. Not as good as a clean install though. My current solution is to reboot as little as needed. :) No crashes, plenty of RAM means that I can live with all the not completely uninstalled/upgraded software.

TravelGal
01-15-09, 04:49 PM
Shouldn't you be able to put a vacation together in less than 100 hours? That's like 50 clients a year. ;)

:) I just saw this. In fact, most of the vacations I do take about 100 hours so yes, about 50 clients a year. The research alone can take two or three full days for most trips I do. That is why one uses an agent these days. The research ahead of time combined with the knowledge of which is the proper travel product. Then we get into the phone calls to the supplier (yes, you can do it online but you never, ever get the best service that way). Those invariably take 30 minutes each. Invoicing, copying, picking up documents, cover letters, mailing at post office, verifications, seating, bedding, special requests, insurance coverage, follow-up phone calls when they return, etc. etc. Since I opened my own office, I don't think I've ever had a client that took less than 20 hours if I were honest about the total time involved. It's what personal service is all about.

/end digression.