PDA

View Full Version : Did Mike Live Up To The Hype?

JoeBob
05-25-03, 10:59 PM
Now that Mike is officially done, here's something to think about. He came in with a lot of hype, had lots of attention over his career, and now he's done. Did he live up to the hype?

He spent 19 years in CART and won 42 races, but only one championship, and he never won the Indianapolis 500.

For all the attention he's getting as one of the all time greats, I have to wonder, is he really? Did he live up to the hype? Where does he stand among the all time greats

nrc
05-25-03, 11:23 PM
All the attitude and whininess aside, he was clearly one of CART's best ever. His wheel to wheel duels with Jaun Montoya proved that he still had the talent to race with anyone.

He was never the best choice to go 500 miles and his victory tally from his failure to learn how to temper his aggressive style, but it also suffered from not having always had the best package.

Kate
05-26-03, 06:43 AM
He's no Mario.

I saw him in the F1 race from Brazill 1993 and considering that huge smash with Berger he was lucky to get out of that 10 race tryout with his life (literally). I don't think he is the best of the rest, Andretti wise; and his personality certainly leaves a lot to be desired for someone whose job is done in the public eye.

WickerBill
05-26-03, 07:49 AM
I think he was the best racer of his era from the USA. Not the smartest though. I think of the delaminating tire in Long Beach and what a buffoon he was to stay out there and risk injury in the second race of the season as opposed to getting a new tire and trying to salvage points. A smarter Michael probably wins at least two more CART championships and most certainly doesn't live in the US while driving in F1.

His oval driving, especially on flat tracks, was very often spectacular. Montoya commented several times over the two years that he was repeatedly surprised at how much fire Michael still displayed.

Of course he's no Mario. He's 50% DeeDee, not a clone. I wish he were nicer to the fans, more like his cousin in how he treats people, etc. etc. etc. But he was good.

pchall
05-26-03, 09:46 AM
Undeniably talented, but without the racecraft and sheer desire to make him the best. With Newman-Haas all those years he should have done even better than averaging 2.2 wins a season, which is arguably a misleading figure considering all his one-win-per-season "drought" years when he still had the best or adequate equipment.

What made his name big (besides the patrimony) was longevity.

Ziggy
05-26-03, 10:28 AM
I agree with the statements above, and of course will throw in my two cents. Mike spent quite a bit of time with Newman Haas, which both cost him race wins and shows some loyalty (to someone)? He often either broke his car or drove it without thinking. He was more often than not coarse with fans. His F1 career was quite forgettable, and I think this shines directly on his personality and refusal to move to Europe.

That being said, He ran for a long time. At every CART event for years and years other drivers were looking at Michael's time sheets to gauge their speed ... that is a fact that cannot be denied.

A Charger, from day one. That folks, ain't always a bad thing. He is still alive, never got hurt. He will not be replaced, and his driving talent was genuine.

Ziggy

DaveL
05-26-03, 11:47 AM
Mikey had great talent and there few better on tracks with low grip because he had such great car control.

That said, considering the hardware he had to work with he could have had even better results. His bonehead moves are legendary, and he had his dad's propensity for running cars into the ground.

Looking at him only as a driver, he was one of the best to compete in CART.

But I still think he's a total schmuck.

pchall
05-26-03, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

But I still think he's a total schmuck.

You're too kind.

cart7
05-26-03, 02:40 PM
His luck at Indy is as historic as his Dad's. Did well in years when he didn't have the best equipment, yet he never took full advantage of it when he did. Unfortunately, was a charger like his Dad which often meant running his car into the ground. One of the best short trackers I watched. Never committed what was necessary to win in F1. He will be regarded as one of the best in Cart. Not necessarily a great overall driver like his Dad, which he wasn't. He let the whole "son of Mario" thing get to him too long. He lived in his Dad's shadow of his own making longer than anyone was comparing him to Mario. His new relaxed attitude is an indication that he's putting that aside. His Dad never tried to be a team owner and I think Michaels glad to not to have to be compared to Mario on that level.

Spicoli
05-26-03, 05:09 PM
Total Idiot, and not a nice person either.

fourrunner
05-26-03, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Of course he's no Mario. He's 50% DeeDee, not a clone. I wish he were nicer to the fans, more like his cousin in how he treats people, etc. etc. etc. But he was good.

But I bet John has a lot more "cache" with the Fans, because he was much nicer to the Fan's even though John's career is a "blip" on the stats map compared to Michael.

When John was in CART, he was VERY approachable, and even chatty with me and other fans who approached him.

I remember after his "Horrific" pit lane crash at Pocono, back in the 1980's he was sitting in a Golf Cart outside the Medical Facility, with a full leg cast, signing autographs for the couple of Fans that were rude enough to approach him at this time. He just smiled and signed. Never in my widest dreams could I picture Michael doing this!

Kate
05-26-03, 07:38 PM
John's baby brother Adam is in the Speed World Challenge GT now and I had the privilege of meeting and interviewing him at Sebring. An absolute charmer -- a lot like Mario -- and very emotional in talking about his father and brother as his "idols".

I suppos it must be hard for Mikey to be the only Chaisma Challenged Andretti. But a better man would have risen above it.

rabbit
05-27-03, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
At every CART event for years and years other drivers were looking at Michael's time sheets to gauge their speed ... that is a fact that cannot be denied.
Ziggy Bingo.

RichK
05-27-03, 11:59 AM
Whenever I start a race, I think about how fast Mikey always does the first lap. 100%, and very aggressive.

One of CART's best ever, but a jerk that lost this fan. He was my favorite driver for many years, he rode Mario's coattails for me, until I just couldn't take his attitude anymore.

Kate
05-27-03, 12:52 PM
It's not how you do the FIRST lap that counts. It's how you do the LAST lap.

And Mikey is usually in the motorhome by then, boo-hooing into his Chardonnay and blaming everyone from the janitor to the boss.

RichK
05-27-03, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the racing lesson, Kate.

Napoleon
05-27-03, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Thanks for the racing lesson, Kate.

:D

I bet you feel faster already.

pchall
05-27-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Kate
... boo-hooing into his Chardonnay and blaming everyone from the janitor to the boss.

If wine selection was his only problem I could have bought him a few cases of red from Tuscany and got him the WDC in 1993.