PDA

View Full Version : The Holiday Pot Luck Lunch

Sean Malone
12-19-08, 12:04 PM
Gag or Dive In? 3 in the last 2 weeks at work. Never seen so many unidentifiable food items in my life. :)

Gag for me. :yuck:

Don Quixote
12-19-08, 12:22 PM
Dive in! Although I am an intolerable food snob about my own cooking, I was raised on casseroles, so eating like that takes me back to when times were simpler. :cool: :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-19-08, 01:26 PM
If you're into Velveeta and mayo hit it hard. :D

extramundane
12-19-08, 01:41 PM
If you're into Velveeta and mayo hit it hard. :D

No doubt. My latest hire, who came here from a sous-chef position, made a duck confit pasta salad for our lunch yesterday. Needless to say, 94% of attendees scoffed at it (one even called it "too weird to eat"), yet they went to town on some ridiculous "salad" that included mayo, water chestnuts and peas. Granted, these are the same people who thought I was some kind of freak* when I brought homemade ravioli & pesto a couple years ago.

*which is probably true, but not because of the pasta

Ankf00
12-19-08, 01:51 PM
duck confit makes me happy inside

Sean Malone
12-19-08, 04:05 PM
The food isn't my main 'gag' issue, it's not knowing the conditions of prepare that give me the willies. :D

Methanolandbrats
12-19-08, 06:21 PM
The food isn't my main 'gag' issue, it's not knowing the conditions of prepare that give me the willies. :D Probably better odds than going to a restaurant :D

datachicane
12-19-08, 06:52 PM
Years ago I made a fairly fiery curried squash and peanut soup (tastes much better than it sounds) for a workplace holiday potluck. I got held up with a production problem, so I was a bit late to the potluck, but a coworker had helpfully set up my crock full of soup on the food table. Not so helpfully, he'd forgotten the label explaining what it was.

As I walked in, I was greeted to the site of a line of coworkers who had just ladled my soup on their mashed potatoes, turkey, cranberry sauce, etc., apparently mistaking it for gravy. Before I could say anything, the bosses' wife shouted "THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE GRAVY!" whereupon she starting spitting and gagging herself hoarse, an effect which was apparently contagious. There was no fixing that.

oddlycalm
12-19-08, 07:56 PM
Quit acting like a damn yankee. :D In the south it not "pot luck" it's "covered dish" and you're in for a real, ummm, adventure. :gomer: Come across any of those atomic yellow cheese grits yet....?

oc

devilmaster
12-19-08, 08:00 PM
Years ago I made a fairly fiery curried squash and peanut soup (tastes much better than it sounds) for a workplace holiday potluck. I got held up with a production problem, so I was a bit late to the potluck, but a coworker had helpfully set up my crock full of soup on the food table. Not so helpfully, he'd forgotten the label explaining what it was.

As I walked in, I was greeted to the site of a line of coworkers who had just ladled my soup on their mashed potatoes, turkey, cranberry sauce, etc., apparently mistaking it for gravy. Before I could say anything, the bosses' wife shouted "THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE GRAVY!" whereupon she starting spitting and gagging herself hoarse, an effect which was apparently contagious. There was no fixing that.

:laugh:

oddlycalm
12-19-08, 08:34 PM
There was no fixing that.

:rofl: :thumbup:

I hesitate to ask, but how was the aftermath...? :D

oc

Methanolandbrats
12-19-08, 09:12 PM
That curried soup story is funny, it also sounds really good, how about posting the recipe?

Sean Malone
12-19-08, 09:48 PM
So our VP brought in 4 trays of the prepackaged shrimp cocktail, the kind you get at the 'club' mega stores. He didn't realize they were rock hard frozen. They tried to defrost them in the microwave but only created semi-cooked/semi-frozen shrimp pops. People were taking them despite my alerts that they were still frozen. Freakin' hysterical. :rofl:

The Office is real on so many levels it ain't funny.:D

RaceGrrl
12-19-08, 11:05 PM
We do a breakfast potluck on Christmas Eve. I make an egg and potato casserole for that. There's never any left, so I guess they like it. :)

Sean Malone
12-19-08, 11:17 PM
We do a breakfast potluck on Christmas Eve. I make an egg and potato casserole for that. There's never any left, so I guess they like it. :)

My wife made my mom make her family famous 7 layer chocolate cake for her department COVERED DISH and she took the credit! LOL!!!

I brought plates and cups. Shoot me now. :D

STD
12-20-08, 12:09 PM
Probably better odds than going to a restaurant :D

Or the daily fast food run. :laugh::eek:

Ankf00
12-20-08, 03:00 PM
I signed up for pickles and napkins once :gomer:

TKGAngel
12-20-08, 07:13 PM
I usually bring the pop. Everyone likes pop. :)

Methanolandbrats
12-20-08, 07:20 PM
:D
http://eclecticeats.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/new-011.jpg

devilmaster
12-20-08, 08:52 PM
that is soooo wrong.... :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
12-21-08, 12:28 PM
Here's a sure winner for the next pot luck :D It's from the kitchen of The Food Network's Butter Diva.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/review/0,1000011,FOOD_9936_34440_01,00.html

stroker
12-21-08, 12:59 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ tater tots............

OW
12-21-08, 01:17 PM
that is soooo wrong.... :rofl:

I second the motion.....OUCH

oddlycalm
12-21-08, 04:59 PM
The Food Network's Butter Diva

She is that; if it has enough partially congealed animal and dairy fat it's gotta be good. The comments are hysterical. :D

oc

Methanolandbrats
12-21-08, 05:29 PM

She is that; if it has enough partially congealed animal and dairy fat it's gotta be good. The comments are hysterical. :D

oc
The absolute minimum amount of butter she adds to anything is one pound, I would'nt be surprised if that included a toasted cheese sandwich. :D

TravelGal
12-23-08, 03:36 AM
Here's a sure winner for the next pot luck :D It's from the kitchen of The Food Network's Butter Diva.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/review/0,1000011,FOOD_9936_34440_01,00.html

OK< that's it. Barf time.

To any holiday potluck I bring homemade (cooked) fudge. That's it. Don't care if it's breakfast lunch or dinner, you get very dark fudge. Many people don't like the flavor. They seem to prefer corn syrup and cocoa over sugar and Baker's chocolate. I take back whatever is left. I'm not proud. :D All the more for me!

Methanolandbrats
12-23-08, 09:46 AM
OK< that's it. Barf time.

To any holiday potluck I bring homemade (cooked) fudge. That's it. Don't care if it's breakfast lunch or dinner, you get very dark fudge. Many people don't like the flavor. They seem to prefer corn syrup and cocoa over sugar and Baker's chocolate. I take back whatever is left. I'm not proud. :D All the more for me!
You take it back home? :yuck: All the fingerprints on the leftovers don't bother you?

JLMannin
12-23-08, 11:09 AM
You take it back home? :yuck: All the fingerprints on the leftovers don't bother you?

To keep your immune system in tip-top shape, you need to exercise it occasionally. :D

JLMannin
12-23-08, 11:16 AM
Quit acting like a damn yankee. :D In the south it not "pot luck" it's "covered dish" and you're in for a real, ummm, adventure. :gomer: Come across any of those atomic yellow cheese grits yet....?

oc

Please give examples of "uncovered dishes". I would assume that the counterpart to a covered dish would be an uncovered dish. :)

TKGAngel
12-23-08, 11:40 AM
Not to complicate things even more, but aren't casseroles / covered dishes also known as hot dishes in some parts of the country?

ChampcarShark
12-23-08, 01:00 PM
Sometimes the best approach is to take the easy way out.

Here at the office, they collect money to buy the main dish, usually brisket.

So it is easy to just pitch in money, I am not much of a cook nor having the wife cook for all the ladies in the office.
We are about 60 employees and only 10 men in the office so you figure it is natural for women to cook. Oh by the way one of the males is a certified chef, so he always brings a dish.

Then again I have been here for only two months. So halloween luncheon, boss day luncheon, pre christmas (last week).

TravelGal
12-24-08, 04:47 AM

Fingerprints? Never seen any. We are way too "polite" [piggy] for that in my office. You pick it up; you eat it. There's plenty more to wash down the flavor of something you don't like. Besides good dark chocolate kills anything. Very therapeutic I'll have you know.

JoeBob
12-24-08, 12:41 PM
Not to complicate things even more, but aren't casseroles / covered dishes also known as hot dishes in some parts of the country?

Yes, here in Minnesota that is known as "Hot Dish" and there's no church basement dinner or pot luck without them.

I'm late to this party, but we had an AWEFUL one this summer. It was decided that there would be a Barbeque themed pot luck. One guy was responsible for the meat, everyone else the sides. The meat guy burned some Ball Park Franks on his grill the night before, then microwaved for us just before the pot luck.

THEN, for our Holiday pot luck, The Meat Guy decided that the theme should be "July 4th in December" - so, it was Ball Park Franks AGAIN - this time heated in a crock pot of water.

Ankf00
12-24-08, 12:54 PM
I'm late to this party, but we had an AWEFUL one this summer. It was decided that there would be a Barbeque themed pot luck. One guy was responsible for the meat, everyone else the sides. The meat guy burned some Ball Park Franks on his grill the night before, then microwaved for us just before the pot luck.

THEN, for our Holiday pot luck, The Meat Guy decided that the theme should be "July 4th in December" - so, it was Ball Park Franks AGAIN - this time heated in a crock pot of water.

:saywhat:

devilmaster
12-24-08, 01:45 PM
I'm late to this party....

BTW, its good to see you round here a bit more JB... :)

Don Quixote
12-24-08, 01:58 PM
THEN, for our Holiday pot luck, The Meat Guy decided that the theme should be "July 4th in December" - so, it was Ball Park Franks AGAIN - this time heated in a crock pot of water. Obviously the dude had been to Costco and bought a 55 gallon drum of weiners! :yuck:

TKGAngel
12-24-08, 02:01 PM

I've boiled "regular" hot dogs when I've needed a quick meal (cut the dog up and throw in with some baked beans) but I would never think about boiling a Ball Park frank. That's 19 kinds of gross.

Methanolandbrats
12-24-08, 02:18 PM
Anything boiled on-site is excellent at a potluck. The temp is high enough to kill just about all bacteria. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
12-24-08, 02:33 PM
It was decided that there would be a Barbeque themed pot luck. One guy was responsible for the meat
Yeah, that one takes the prize alright. Here's a litte gem to share with Mr. Tubesteak. I call it Wienies Royale. Kind of like a crown roast but with wieners. :gomer:

oc

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/155/1241/200/787.0.jpg