PDA

View Full Version : Adolph Hitler Denied His Birthday Cake

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 10:01 AM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/child_named_after_adolf_hitler.html

Child named after Adolf Hitler is refused cake request
by The Associated Press
Tuesday December 16, 2008, 7:40 PM

EASTON, Pa. -- Three-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell is cute, cuddly and, for now, blissfully unaware of the shock value conveyed by his first and middle names. That may be changing, though.

The youngster was at the center of a recent dispute between his parents and a local supermarket that refused to spell out his name on a cake for his birthday party last weekend. A story in a local newspaper prompted an outpouring of angry online responses directed at Heath Campbell, 35, and his wife Deborah, 25.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted on the New Jersey side of the Delaware River, where the family lives in Hunterdon County.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," he continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite in Greenwich, just east of downtown Phillipsburg on the western edge of New Jersey. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

A store manager at ShopRite referred questions to a corporate spokeswoman, who did not immediately return a phone message Tuesday. But spokeswoman Karen Meleta told The Easton Express-Times for Sunday's editions that the Campbells' request was considered inappropriate.

The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically either. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

These hillbillies actually live a few miles from me. I'm so proud. Great place to raise my kids. :rolleyes:

Of course, it could be worse. When he crossed the river to PA to a Walmart they had no problem providing the cake. :gomer:

BTW, that Walmart is just down the road from the Andrettis. ;)

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 10:13 AM
Nothing like having a confused Nazi for a dad. :saywhat:

Ed_Severson
12-17-08, 11:19 AM
Obligatory cake thread photo:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/ngbbpc/best-wishes-suzanne-under-neat-that.jpg

Bonus photo:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/77/178419457_56160cb231.jpg?v=0

Ed_Severson
12-17-08, 11:21 AM
I'm sure most people assume that the good folks at ShopRite refused on the grounds that the kid's name was offensive, but I'd like to think they refused because they have a strict "No ****faces" policy and this kid's dad is clearly a ****face. :)

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 12:19 PM
...but I'd like to think they refused because they have a strict "No ****faces" policy and this kid's dad is clearly a ****face. :)

Can't say for a fact, but I know the family that runs that Shoprite and three others in county and they are tremendously involved in good works.

Any time a school or scout troop or food pantry needs a food donation they get whatever they ask for without question. And they will participate in any fundraising efforts anyone asks for. Great concern for customers and they treat their employees very well.

I feel bad for them because this is not the publicity they deserve and there will be many who say they should have just done it... and maybe they should have. Kid deserves a cake even if his parents are shatheads.

But I gotta ask. Who are the parents who let their kids come to a party in the home of parents who name their kid Adolph Hitler? Perhaps I shouldn't talk. My son has a kid in his class named Anakin, but his parents are just Star Wars freaks.

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 12:30 PM
The Little Fuhrer's sisters :laugh: "JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April". Maybe mom will calve a little brother and they can name it Joe Mengele Campbell. What a bunch of retards, whatever school system gets that family, good luck :D

Ed_Severson
12-17-08, 12:33 PM
Any time a school or scout troop or food pantry needs a food donation they get whatever they ask for without question. And they will participate in any fundraising efforts anyone asks for. Great concern for customers and they treat their employees very well.

I feel bad for them because this is not the publicity they deserve and there will be many who say they should have just done it... and maybe they should have. Kid deserves a cake even if his parents are shatheads.

I dunno ... sounds like this is exactly the sort of publicity they deserve. I've seen discussions/threads of this story on several websites, and the response has almost unilaterally been "hooray for ShopRite/suck it, fascist hilltards!" Anytime someone braindead enough to be hoodwinked by the white supremacy movement complains about you, it should be received as a ringing endorsement by sentient members of society.

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 12:35 PM
...whatever school system gets that family, good luck :D

Mine, almost. They are the next town over and as school board president I am relieved. But they will go to the same high school. My oldest rides the bus with their next door neighbor. :rolleyes:

JLMannin
12-17-08, 12:40 PM
I dunno ... sounds like this is exactly the sort of publicity they deserve. I've seen discussions/threads of this story on several websites, and the response has almost unilaterally been "hooray for ShopRite/suck it, fascist hilltards!" Anytime someone braindead enough to be hoodwinked by the white supremacy movement complains about you, it should be received as a ringing endorsement by sentient members of society.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I feel so bad for the kids. One kid per year - is momma about to pop another one?

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 12:52 PM
I dunno ... sounds like this is exactly the sort of publicity they deserve.

I'm glad you think so. Really. I hope you are one of many.

Gnam
12-17-08, 01:02 PM
I hate Frenchtown Nazis. ;)

It'll be fun when those kids have to start making decisions for their folks.
Payback's a bitch :p

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 01:02 PM
Mine, almost. They are the next town over and as school board president I am relieved. But they will go to the same high school. My oldest rides the bus with their next door neighbor. :rolleyes:
That will save you the trouble of budgeting for metal detectors and police overtime.

Elmo T
12-17-08, 01:08 PM
I thought they might be up your way. ;)

I think they are getting exactly want they want - more attention. Yea, most of it will be negative, but I am sure these folks don't care.

Part of me wishes Shoprite would have done the cake and this couple could have driven back to the compound in anonymity. :shakehead

Insomniac
12-17-08, 01:36 PM
I think they should've made the cake. It is his name.

I feel bad for the kid though. He's pretty much doomed. Even if he didn't want to grow up a racist like his parents, he'll have a hard time escaping it. Changing his name will be hard. So he has to make it to 18 somehow. Or maybe a little younger and get emancipated.

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 01:38 PM
I think they are getting exactly want they want - more attention. Yea, most of it will be negative, but I am sure these folks don't care.

The Ledger didn't even bother to send out a reporter but they chose to give the family about 1/6 page for their AP "portrait". I'm sure this will hang proudly on their wall.

http://media2.tbo.com/mediamanager/2008/dec/16/2051_hitler.orig-max-640x640.jpg

chop456
12-17-08, 02:01 PM
He just looks like your typical idiot. She looks like she's going to drown the kid the second she gets him alone. That or eat him. Possibly both.

Too bad for the kid.

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 02:07 PM
The local paper which broke the story did a much better job... of making these morons look like morons. AP sucks as usual.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news-0/122923112231930.xml&coll=3

Holland Township man names son after Adolf Hitler
Sunday, December 14, 2008
By DOUGLAS B. BRILL
The Express-Times

HOLLAND TWP. | In a living room decorated with war books, German combat knives and swastikas, a 2-year-old boy, blond and blue-eyed, played with a plastic dinner set.

The boy, asked his name, put down a tiny plate and ran behind his father's leg. He flashed a shy smile but wouldn't answer. Heath Campbell, 35, the boy's father, encouraged him.

"Say Adolf," said Campbell, a Holocaust denier who has three children named for Nazism.

Again, the boy wouldn't answer. It wasn't the first time the name caused hesitation.

Adolf Hitler Campbell -- it's indeed the name on his birth certificate -- turns 3 today, and the Campbell family believes the boy has been mistreated. A local supermarket refused to make a birthday cake with "Adolf Hitler" on it.

The ShopRite in Greenwich Township has also refused to make a cake bearing the name of Campbell's daughter, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, who turns 2 in February.

Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, a girl named for Schutzstaffel head Heinrich Himmler, turns 1 in April.

"ShopRite can't even make a cake for a 3-year-old," said Deborah Campbell, 25, who is Heath's wife of three years and the mother of the children. "That's sad."

A director for the Anti-Defamation League in Philadelphia applauded the supermarket's decision. An Allentown psychologist said the names would cause problems for the children later in life.

A cake case

Karen Meleta, a ShopRite spokeswoman, said the grocer tries to meet customer requests but rejects those deemed inappropriate. "We believe the request to inscribe a birthday wish to Adolf Hitler is inappropriate," she said.

The grocer offered to make a cake with enough room for the Campbells to write their own inscription. But the Campbells refused, saying they would have a cake made at the Wal-Mart in Lower Nazareth Township. The Campbells say Wal-Mart made cakes for Adolf's first two birthdays.

A spokeswoman for Wal-Mart said the store won't put anything illegal or profane on a cake but thinks it's important to respect the views of customers and employees.

"Our No. 1 priority in decorating cakes is to serve the customer to the best of our ability," Anna Taylor, the spokeswoman, said from Bentonville, Ark.

If the Campbells have a legal case over the refusal, it would be that the family was denied service because of race, ethnicity or religion, said Shannon Powers, of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, a state agency that enforces anti-discrimination laws.

The Campbells, she said, would have to prove ShopRite didn't make a reasonable attempt to provide service it provides others. She said the offer to make a cake with room for an inscription would probably count as a reasonable attempt.

"It sounds like they (the supermarket) don't want to offend other patrons or do something offensive to their own sensibilities. If that's the motivation, that's totally different from discrimination," Powers said.

'They're just names'

The Campbells have swastikas in each room of their home, the rented half of a one-story duplex just outside Milford, a borough in Hunterdon County. They say they aren't racists but believe races shouldn't mix.

The Campbells said they wanted their children to have unique names and didn't expect the names to cause problems. Despite the cake refusal, the Campbells said they don't expect the names to cause problems later, such as when the children start school.

"I just figured that they're just names," Deborah Campbell said. "They're just kids. They're not going to hurt anybody."

Heath Campbell said some people like the names but others are shocked to hear them. "They say, 'He (Hitler) killed all those people.' I say, 'You're living in the wrong decade. That Hitler's gone,'" he said.

"They're just names, you know," he said. "Yeah, they (Nazis) were bad people back then. But my kids are little. They're not going to grow up like that."

"Other kids get their cake. I get a hard time," he said. "It's not fair to my children.

"How can a name be offensive?" he asked.

'Why not call the kid Peace?'

Robert M. Gordon, a clinical psychologist in Allentown, said the names would hurt the children.

"Certainly society is going to be hostile towards those kids, especially when they go to school," Gordon said.

More than that, he said, the children would be harmed by their parents' views.

"By the time they get to school, they will already have been damaged," Gordon said. "Any parent that would impose such horrific names on their children is mentally ill, and they would be affecting their children from the day they were born. Only a crazy person would do that."

The problems the children might encounter in school, he said, "would be icing on the cake."

Barry Morrison, a director at the Philadelphia office of the Anti-Defamation League, which works to stop anti-Semitism and bigotry, said the organization had never heard of children named for Hitler, Himmler or Aryan nations.

He found the names offensive and commended ShopRite's decision.

The Campbells, Morrison said, "might as well put a sign around their (the children's) neck that says bigot, racist, hatemonger. What's the difference? Why not call the kid Peace or Tranquility or Hope or Acceptance?

"It's doing them (the children) a tremendous disservice, and it's cruel that parents would place these names on children," he said. "It's a mark upon them. It sets them apart for ridicule, derision, attacks.

"The children at this age might not have an understanding of these names. But when they grow up, hopefully, they would want to distance themselves from them," he said. "If they come to identify with the ideology of Hitler, Himmler and the Aryan nations, their parents are launching them on a life of hatred."

Swastikas and choices

The Campbell home is kept neat aside from scattered toys and other evidence three children live there. It's small, but it's what the Campbells can afford.

Disabilities, the couple says, have left both out of work: Heath Campbell can't landscape or pump gas because he has emphysema, and Deborah can't waitress because she has a bad back. They live on Social Security payments.

In the foyer, Heath Campbell, who said he has German ancestry and a relative who fought for the SS, took off boots he said were worn by a Nazi solider named Daniel.

He laid them next to a skull with a swastika on its forehead, the first of dozens of swastikas seen by the Campbells' rare guests.

There are swastikas on walls, on jackets, on the freezer and on a pillow. The family car had swastikas, Heath Campbell said, until New Jersey's Department of Children and Families told him they could endanger the children.

The swastikas, Heath Campbell said, are symbols of peace and balance. He considers them art.

"It doesn't mean hatred to me," he said. Deborah Campbell said a swastika "doesn't really have a meaning. It's just a symbol."

Heath Campbell said he doesn't want to force his views on his children, in part because he had views forced on him. He said he also teaches them nonviolence.

Abusive guardians, Heath Campbell said, used Bible verses to teach him to distrust blacks. If he questioned the guardians, he said, he was hit. He acknowledged he couldn't challenge the guardians' views.

He said Adolf Hitler, Aryan Nation and Hinler would be able to make their own decisions about race.

Reporter Douglas B. Brill can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at dbrill@express-times.com.

Apparently too they've asked the same Shoprite for the last two birthdays for the same thing, including a swastika on the cake, and were denied. This time they decided to drop a dime to the local paper to spice up their bored little life living off SS disability payments. :rolleyes:

IlliniRacer
12-17-08, 02:12 PM
WTF, the kid doesn't have blue eyes.

Don Quixote
12-17-08, 02:57 PM
WTF, the kid doesn't have blue eyes.

Either did the real Adolf Hitler.

Remember at 7th gear when "Hitler" changed to "******" ? :laugh:

G.
12-17-08, 03:07 PM
Remember at 7th gear when "Hitler" changed to "******" ? :laugh:

who coined the term knee-oh not-see?

:laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
12-17-08, 03:34 PM
Don't people like this usually give their kids rhyming names?

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 03:34 PM
There's always an upside. In grade school, the kids can take mom and dad's nazi memorabilia to school for a really unique and snazzy show and tell session. :D

Ankf00
12-17-08, 03:37 PM
I hate Frenchtown Nazis. ;)

figures they'd be in Frenchtown! :tony:

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 03:48 PM
figures they'd be in Frenchtown! :tony:

Yo, Holland, NJ. 3 miles up the road

Frenchtown is the only town in the county that goes Democratic every election. Mostly starving artists here. :gomer:

extramundane
12-17-08, 03:54 PM

Nazis seem to have a habit of hitting up Holland before entering a French town, don't they?

<groan>

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 04:00 PM

Frenchtown is the only town in the county that goes Democratic every election. Mostly starving artists here. :gomer: I wonder if the Campbells voted for Obama? :D

Gnam
12-17-08, 05:40 PM
Nazis seem to have a habit of hitting up Holland before entering a French town, don't they?

<groan>

Yeah but they're boxed in by Englishtown to the east and Bethlehem to the west. :p

G.
12-17-08, 05:45 PM
Robert M. Gordon, a clinical psychologist in Allentown, said the names would hurt the children.

"Certainly society is going to be hostile towards those kids, especially when they go to school," Gordon said.

More than that, he said, the children would be harmed by their parents' views.

"By the time they get to school, they will already have been damaged," Gordon said. "Any parent that would impose such horrific names on their children is mentally ill, and they would be affecting their children from the day they were born. Only a crazy person would do that."

Oh yeah, there's a good doctor. Clinical diagnosis based on baby names.

Can't they just get an expert to declare them legally stupid?

JLMannin
12-17-08, 05:54 PM
"It doesn't mean hatred to me," he said. Deborah Campbell said a swastika "doesn't really have a meaning. It's just a symbol."

Right. And I suppose that nooses, burning crosses and confererate flags are just meaningless symbols and "art" as well.

These people are scum and I feel so sorry for the children.

Insomniac
12-17-08, 08:04 PM
They have conveniently collected and named their children after the same related meaningless stuff. Quite the coincidence when it means nothing.

Elmo T
12-17-08, 11:16 PM
They are on the tube now - complaining about the "circus of racism" against them.

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah, there's a good doctor. Clinical diagnosis based on baby names.

Can't they just get an expert to declare them legally stupid? If that guy isn't in private practice, he's got a problem.

RHR_Fan
12-17-08, 11:50 PM
Could the courts step in and legally do something? Wasn't there a case in New Zealand or Australia where this girl was given the most ridiculous name and even though she was underage the courts stepped in and changed her name to something more "normal" sounding?

~Nicole

Andrew Longman
12-18-08, 12:44 AM
They are on the tube now - complaining about the "circus of racism" against them.

Yup, I hate people who make white folks look like totally ignorant asshats.

Andrew Longman
12-18-08, 12:50 AM
I wonder if the Campbells voted for Obama? :D

Well he certainly likes to quote the President-elect on the need for change. ;)

But seriously, Frenchtown has about 1000 registered voters. About 800 voted for Obama.

The rest of the county, including the Campbell's town of Holland, went 70%+ for McCain.

Without passing judgement, the rest of the county pretty much hates Frenchtown and considers us communists, tree huggers and low lifes. :gomer:

Indy
12-18-08, 04:30 AM
That kid looks like Spicoli. :rofl:

Andrew Longman
12-18-08, 06:26 AM
That kid looks like Spicoli. :rofl:

From pictures here he looks like a little girl :gomer:
F3ERueFeB9w

Indy
12-18-08, 11:26 AM
You'd think he would resemble the Big D, but no, little Adolph is like a miniature Spicster.:rofl:

Methanolandbrats
12-18-08, 11:40 AM
From pictures here he looks like a little girl :gomer:
F3ERueFeB9w Hmmmmm, a boy who looks like a girl raised by Nazis..........I see a future in F1 Management for the kid :thumbup:

G.
12-18-08, 01:37 PM
Hmmmmm, a boy who looks like a girl raised by Nazis..........I see a future in F1 Management for the kid :thumbup:
Slips in Post Of The Year, just under the wire!

:rofl::laugh:

Ankf00
12-18-08, 01:47 PM

Frenchtown is the only town in the county that goes Democratic every election. Mostly starving artists here. :gomer: Nazis seem to have a habit of hitting up Holland before entering a French town, don't they?

<groan>

Beware the Ardennes!

opinionated ow
12-18-08, 06:58 PM
Unbelievable! How can a parent do that to their child!

emjaya
12-18-08, 10:21 PM
Could the courts step in and legally do something? Wasn't there a case in New Zealand or Australia where this girl was given the most ridiculous name and even though she was underage the courts stepped in and changed her name to something more "normal" sounding?

~Nicole

"Tula does the Hula from Hawaii"
New Zealand. Link. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2008/jul/25/whatsyourscalled)

Michaelhatesfans
12-19-08, 05:12 PM

Just going around the usual slowdowns in Maginot, NJ.

KLang
01-14-09, 01:13 PM
Family Services takes the kids. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28655143/)

Methanolandbrats
01-14-09, 02:11 PM
Family Services takes the kids. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28655143/)
Uh, oh..............the dad is gonna spray a McDonald's with automatic weapons fire or something along those lines.........classic case........I hope the cops have him on a short leash.

G.
01-14-09, 03:45 PM
note to people that crave attention: sometimes you get it.

KLang
01-14-09, 05:03 PM
note to people that crave attention: sometimes you get it.

Yep, the writing was on the wall the day this story broke.

I do wonder what Family Services has on them. I don't think they usually take kids from someone just for being a kook.

datachicane
01-14-09, 06:41 PM
Yep.
Govt. social service agencies have strict confidentiality requirements that prevent them from speaking to the specifics of a case, which leaves them at a serious PR disadvantage.

Many, many years ago, in a previous incarnation, I worked as a child support caseworker. It fried me how every time a kid-beating, deadbeat, knee-deep-in-rat-****-and-broken-glass scumbag with a list of priors a mile long would lose custody of his/her kids and start screaming to the newspapers about how they were taken for no reason at all, how it was all a govt. conspiracy, etc., etc., ad nauseum, when the specifics of the case were so cut-and-dried that no reasonable person would choose to leave the kids in the home. The agency, however, could say nothing at all in response. Even worse, half the time the parents that screamed the loudest to the press were too busy to show up for their own custody hearings, return phone calls, registered mail, etc., etc., all the while making the local talk-radio circuit. :saywhat:

OTOH, if the agency didn't take custody and something happened to the kid, the papers were full of stories questioning why the agency hadn't done something. There was just no winning. Some of those cases were unbelievably heartbreaking, and for too many of the kids there's just no putting the genie back in that bottle.

Andrew Longman
01-15-09, 10:07 AM
I saw this in my morning paper. The AP reporting (a little less abbreviated than the AP copy on the MSNBC link) quoted DYFS as saying they wouldn't take the kids away just because of their names -- there is more to it than that. It also said the Campbells don't have a working phone.

It was previously reported that both parents are on permanent SS disability for what IMO are somewhat suspicious ailments -- Emphysema for one and a bad back for the other at age 30 something seems a bit much.

Our usually dysfunctional DYFS may for once been on the ball. These parents sent up more than a few flags for me, not just because of the name. duh.

G.
11-20-11, 05:37 PM
Newborn also removed. They don't see a pattern?

you'd think that they'd stop after a while (http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/parents-adolf-hitler-lose-custody-newborn-020633900.html)

Heath and Deborah Campbell, the New Jersey parents of three children with Nazi-inspired names, lost custody of their fourth child 17 hours after he was born, the Express-Times of Lehigh Valley, Pa., reported.

Hons Campbell was taken into custody by the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services late Thursday night after the doctor who delivered the baby called the agency, the paper reported.

“There’s no legal binding court order. It’s basically a kidnapping, but they use different terms,” Heath Campbell told the Express-Times.

The Campbell family stepped into the spotlight in December 2008 when a ShopRite grovery store declined to decorate a birthday cake for their son Adolf Hitler Campbell’s third birthday.

The state took custody of Adolf, along with his sisters JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Himler Jeannie Campbell, in January of 2009. The three children have remained in foster care ever since.

nrc
11-20-11, 08:14 PM
Wow. Sure hope they have some reason for taking the kids away besides the parents repugnant ideology.

SurfaceUnits
11-20-11, 09:04 PM
they should start posting human services thugs outside Jerry's and Maury's studios.

trish
11-20-11, 09:05 PM
Wow. Sure hope they have some reason for taking the kids away besides the parents repugnant ideology.

I was wondering about that myself.

datachicane
11-20-11, 10:23 PM

Well, I don't want to repeat myself from a couple of posts back.

Don't forget that in these scenarios only the parents are legally entitled to discuss the case, and they're not exactly objective parties. Social service agencies make popular targets (whether they take action or not) precisely because they're not able to give their side of the story.

Andrew Longman
11-21-11, 10:42 AM
Don't forget that in these scenarios only the parents are legally entitled to discuss the case, and they're not exactly objective parties. Social service agencies make popular targets (whether they take action or not) precisely because they're not able to give their side of the story.

I can say that the Hunterdon County courts are pretty conservative and I am doubtful that a judge would remove the kids simply because DYFS or anyone else thinks the names aren't PC.

BUT, having the names of two of the worst mass murderers in history is one heck of a burden to put on a kid. It's not like the parents named him after their favorite uncle with a goofy name that will get him pick on at recess. Back when this originally broke some psychologist said this amounted to abuse because of the severe psychological toll it would take.

I'm not sure I buy that, but regardless it does show a severe lack of judgment and combined with the fact that both parents don't seem to be employable it is possible that they just can't as a practical matter run a safe and supportive environment to bring up kids.

If that is true, then there would be evidence of it in the household that DYFS could see and present it to a judge. Previously, some news reports mentioned violence and neglect in the home, but it was sketchy.

Example http://www.onepeoplesproject.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=888:neo-nazi-s
The Campbells saw national attention in 2009 when a local supermarket refused to inscribe Adolf Hitler Campbell's name on a cake for his third birthday. While that had been a prominent news item, other issues with the family regarding abuse and neglect were also a concern. According to court documents, Heath Campbell, who cannot read, was married twice before, fathered other children and has an alleged history of domestic violence. One of his ex-wives has a restraining order against him and has "moved to an Air Force base with family in Florida to be away and safe from him," the records said at the time. Deborah had dropped out of high school in the tenth grade. Both were abused as children.

And last month they beat charges of child abuse related to the other three kids three years ago:
However, while the New Jersey Appeals Court found the couple not guilty of child abuse, the court said there was sufficient evidence of abuse and neglect for them to insist the children to stay in foster care. Court records show the judge was alarmed by accounts of Adolf frequently threatening to kill people and claims that Mrs Campbell had told neighbours she was terrified of her husband.

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/features/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=159231320

It all sounds delightful. Glad to have them as "neighbors".:rolleyes: