PDA

View Full Version : SillySeason - Start it!

OW
12-13-08, 07:32 PM

Methanolandbrats
12-13-08, 07:57 PM
WGAF

pchall
12-13-08, 08:09 PM
Maybe we should start a death pool on which of us dies first from ennui?

stroker
12-13-08, 10:29 PM
WGAF

beat me to it.

Don Quixote
12-14-08, 12:46 AM

TravelGal
12-14-08, 02:05 AM
beat me to it.

Indeed. The only thinking I could think was a very unlady-like, "Give me a ******* break."

More to the point, let's start a thread on "what odds do you give that this disaster finishes the entire season?"

edit: Sorry. I see it's already being discussed under the 2013 thread. GMTA. :D

stroker
12-14-08, 10:32 AM
this would be a really good place to insert all those goofy promotional photos the Hurlers made for the Japanese race a few years ago.

High Sided
12-14-08, 11:31 AM
marco signed by andretti/green :tony:

Methanolandbrats
12-14-08, 11:56 AM
From the :tony: website, the current lineup of tools and has-beens with a few fast guys mixed in.

http://www.indycar.com/drivers/

OW
12-14-08, 12:22 PM
IGAF

The 2013 Thread was specific and not concerned about current off-season movement. And frankly I don't care about 2013 - 2020- 2050 - I could be dead by then.... I care about 2009.

I was hoping to solicite ANY knowledge of ANY "Open Wheel Racing" which is the forum section chosen.

I started with a "." (dot) - cause I don't know anything.

I hope to know more before spring. - with your help...

For example: Will we see *Road America* OWRacing this year? (just example)

Maybe I just hate winter..........

http://user.mc.net/~spina/images/Racing_Fan/champsnow.jpg

HOPEFULLY - The Motorcycle - just needs a second kickstart

pchall
12-14-08, 12:27 PM
marco signed by andretti/green :tony:

How much did he have to front to get the ride?

Methanolandbrats
12-14-08, 02:06 PM
IGAF

The 2013 Thread was specific and not concerned about current off-season movement. And frankly I don't care about 2013 - 2020- 2050 - I could be dead by then.... I care about 2009.

I was hoping to solicite ANY knowledge of ANY "Open Wheel Racing" which is the forum section chosen.

I started with a "." (dot) - cause I don't know anything.

I hope to know more before spring. - with your help...

For example: Will we see *Road America* OWRacing this year? (just example)

Maybe I just hate winter..........

http://user.mc.net/~spina/images/Racing_Fan/champsnow.jpg

HOPEFULLY - The Motorcycle - just needs a second kickstart I don't think the team owners or even :tony: know much at this point.

SurfaceUnits
12-14-08, 02:35 PM
How much did he have to front to get the ride?

He had to promise not to accept that F1 offer that is on the table

mapguy
12-14-08, 02:41 PM
Montoya leaves McLaren to drive for Chip's NASCAR team.

cameraman
12-14-08, 02:51 PM
And frankly I don't care about 2013 - 2020- 2050 - I could be dead by then.... I care about 2009.

Technically you could be dead by 2009 too...

Michaelhatesfans
12-14-08, 09:12 PM
WGAF

We may have been separated at birth, you know.

miatanut
12-14-08, 10:31 PM
IGAF

Tony did a very effective job if killing our interest in what was our favorite sport for several decades, leading to the sentiment you're seeing in this thread.

At TF on the other hand, the joint be jumpin.

Methanolandbrats
12-14-08, 10:40 PM
This is a good thread. I'm 53 and for the first time in my life I don't care and that is a shocking development now that I think about it. I'm not even curious. I don't care who is driving, I don't care where they drive and I don't care about Indy. As far as I'm concerned American OW doesnt' even exist anymore.

miatanut
12-15-08, 01:10 PM
Ditto (but 46). Even a couple years ago I could not have conceived I would be so apathetic about an off season.

The only thing that would get my attention now would be if they attempted to soil RA (or Portland, in my neck of the woods).

dando
12-15-08, 01:42 PM
Ditto (but 46). Even a couple years ago I could not have conceived I would be so apathetic about a season.

The only thing that would get my attention now would be if they attempted to soil RA (or Portland, in my neck of the woods).

Fixerated dat for ya. :gomer: :(

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-15-08, 02:11 PM
Good post M&B. My apathy meter is pegged on 11 out of 10. At this point, I can't imagine ever getting interested again. Oh well. :( :mad:

Classic Apex
12-15-08, 03:06 PM
h

SurfaceUnits
12-15-08, 03:14 PM
Alex Rossi jumps over all the trash in AOW and is headed to Europe :rofl:

---------------------------------------------
Milk, it's only a drink.

Gnam
12-15-08, 03:46 PM
I don't think the team owners or even :tony: know much at this point.
One of the upsides to not having sponsors is you don't have to do so much planning. No meetings or schedules to worry about, just kick back until March then call about five people to let them know where to show up. Someone just has to pickup the Versus camera guy, cause his mom can't drive to away races. :p

TravelGal
12-15-08, 03:49 PM
....for the first time in my life I don't care and that is a shocking development now that I think about it. I'm not even curious. I don't care who is driving, I don't care where they drive and I don't care about Indy. As far as I'm concerned American OW doesnt' even exist anymore.

(Notice I left out the age ;) ) Same here. But in an oddly peculiar twist, I cannot stand to watch as the IRK self-destructs, even though I hope for it, because the wounds of the CCWS implosion are still too fresh. Coming up is the first season I do not anticipate at all. It never even crosses my mind.

oddlycalm
12-15-08, 07:47 PM
Milk, it's only a drink. Try saying bovine lactose ritual to keep it all in perspective...:gomer:

oc

SurfaceUnits
12-15-08, 07:52 PM
Try saying bovine lactose ritual to keep it all in perspective...:gomer:

ocjust prepping the :gomer:s for the arrival of the Brazilian Citrus Growers Association

ChampcarShark
12-16-08, 11:29 AM
just prepping the :gomer:s for the arrival of the Brazilian Citrus Growers Association

Then the winner of the gommerville 500 will start drinking orange juice.

I believe the contract with the milk producers is almost over...

Andrew Longman
12-16-08, 11:44 AM
I believe the contract with the milk producers is almost over...

How much could it possibly be worth? In fact it may be worth more to IMS to keep their "traditions" than it is to the milk producers, given how little anyone cares who wins the race anymore.

Maybe they can just agree that the milk people will supply the bottle of milk.

JLMannin
12-16-08, 01:18 PM
How much could it possibly be worth? In fact it may be worth more to IMS to keep their "traditions" than it is to the milk producers, given how little anyone cares who wins the race anymore.

How about everclear? At least that stuff is made in the USA. The corn-jerkers association is all up in arms about the IRL running Brazilian ethanol next season. The radio ads are almost comical, as they talk about the 500 like it is a big deal.

On the 500, I take my family to the zoo. It is great, downtown Indy is dead when there is a race at the speedway.

NismoZ
01-07-09, 04:44 PM
Guessing pretty soon downtown Indy will be rockin' by comparison and the Speedway will be dead. Indy street race?:)

cameraman
01-07-09, 04:48 PM
It is great, downtown Indy is dead when there is a race at the speedway.
Is there a Sunday afternoon when downtown Indy isn't dead?

rosawendel
01-07-09, 05:08 PM
I am in complete agreement that the season will most likely be silly.
what with the-

-whacked out f-1 car designs
-audi going away (after introducing a new car - which in and of itself takes cajones)
-half an OWRS in the states
-no porsche in p-2
-no north american f-1 presence.
-the acceptance that the grand-am prototypes are ugly and always will be.

at this point i almost wish dtm would come stateside.

sigh

pchall
01-07-09, 05:18 PM

Taking a swig of milk in Victory Lane used to be worth $500 to the driver in the 70s. I doubt that the price ever went up since Danny Sullivan so blatantly sipped from a can of Miller when he won for Penske in the mid 80s. Emmo's dissing the milk and drinking orange juice wasn't much of an issue the season it happened, but there was some fun had with it the rest of the season. I remember a milk cow on a pole in some driver's pit... Vasser, maybe?

It was only an issue in subsequent years on internet message boards. :shakehead

NismoZ
01-08-09, 01:42 PM
BUT...GOLD CROWN is coming back!!:D

High Sided
01-12-09, 01:50 PM
tidbits from robin miller...
helio out of penski, newman/haas looking for sponsorship for bordais, Philippe family has purchased Marty Roth's equipment.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-helio-out-penske-naming-successor-this-week-says-miller/

Methanolandbrats
01-12-09, 02:16 PM
"Team France" :rofl:

EVL29
01-12-09, 02:46 PM
Team Farce.

stroker
01-12-09, 03:23 PM
BUT...GOLD CROWN is coming back!!:D

I'll watch that before I watch these morons.

cameraman
01-12-09, 03:36 PM
Romain Dumas in the IRL:saywhat::irked::saywhat:

patski
01-12-09, 04:26 PM
Guess we'll find out Wed's.

NismoZ
01-12-09, 06:49 PM
So Penske is looking to hire Wilson, RHR or Power? What about Greg Ray fer cryin' out loud!? Who wouldn't pay a bundle for the Tiger Woods of Auto Racing? And Moreas to KV? Ride buying I suppose. Montagny to Indy Car ride at AGR? How can a guy who is better than at LEAST 4 of the 5 driving there now not already BE there!:shakehead. Why wouldn't Bourdais take a Haas offer if available? Little Philippe is pretty darn good but he's no Marty Roth!:D

shaggy_socal
01-12-09, 09:28 PM
"Team France" :rofl:

Wasn't it Nelson who said F*** Tony George at a CC fan dinner at the 08 Long Beach CC finale?

I guess when money is involved principles are thrown out the window...or was Nelson just pandering to the pro CC fans?

Methanolandbrats
01-12-09, 09:55 PM
Wasn't it Nelson who said F*** Tony George at a CC fan dinner at the 08 Long Beach CC finale?

I guess when money is involved principles are thrown out the window...or was Nelson just pandering to the pro CC fans? He's the epitome of a ride buying peckerwood hack. If he had enough cash he'd be paddling around at the back of the F1 grid pretending he was Japanese.

Rogue Leader
01-12-09, 10:38 PM
He's the epitome of a ride buying peckerwood hack. If he had enough cash he'd be paddling around at the back of the F1 grid pretending he was Japanese.

You didn't know.... Nelson Phillipe is French for Taki Inoue!

Wheel-Nut
01-13-09, 10:42 AM
tidbits from robin miller...
. . . . Philippe family has purchased Marty Roth's equipment.

How many boxes does that come in and can you glue carbon fiber back together?

NismoZ
01-13-09, 10:43 AM
And Cindric welcomes Will Power to Team Penske/Australia. Until when? Only a preseason testing agreement, I think. Team still "fully behind" Helio and hoping for a positive outcome. I guess that'd be total FTG support for a 3rd Australian? Get Ambrose!:) So who does Haas get, Wilson, Bourdais or Doornbos? Anyone better available?

High Sided
01-13-09, 11:55 AM
And Cindric welcomes Will Power to Team Penske/Australia. Until when? Only a preseason testing agreement, I think. Team still "fully behind" Helio and hoping for a positive outcome.

more robin miller
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-get-ready-for-an-all-aussie-penske-lineup-says-miller/
Power simply said he hoped to be running for either KV or Penske and I'm saying that he and fellow countryman Ryan Briscoe are going to be teammates in those orange and white cars.

Methanolandbrats
01-13-09, 12:21 PM
Shaping up to be A1GP for morons.

miatanut
01-13-09, 06:05 PM
He's the epitome of a ride buying peckerwood hack. If he had enough cash he'd be paddling around at the back of the F1 grid pretending he was Japanese.
I don't recall any Japanese drivers finishing fourth in a top-level open wheel series championship.

I laughed at him the first season. The third season he blew the doors off a lot of career "professionals".

Methanolandbrats
01-13-09, 06:09 PM
I don't recall any Japanese drivers finishing fourth in a top-level open wheel series championship.

I laughed at him the first season. The third season he blew the doors off a lot of career "professionals". He's quick in the wet :gomer:

High Sided
01-25-09, 06:06 PM
Stanton Barrett, he is indy :p

G.
02-03-09, 06:47 PM
Question: Is Milko Duno and her Citgo sponsorship going to be in the mix for 2009? If they are, what team would you hazard to guess they would end up with? (Gregg, Eden Prairie, Minn.)

Answer: The rumor mill has her heading to Newman Haas in a third car of the team, but there has been no independent confirmation of this.

mindystar (http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/)

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Don Quixote
02-03-09, 07:10 PM
oh, come on! :gomer:

Andrew Longman
02-03-09, 07:17 PM
oh, come on! :gomer:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-milka-duno-and-robert-doornbos-to-newman-hass-lanigan/

Sean Malone
02-03-09, 07:20 PM
That does it, it's the end of the world as we know it. Lock your doors and hide your daughters, it's gonna get ugly. :(

G.
02-03-09, 07:21 PM
I call spicoli shenanigans!

Gnam
02-03-09, 07:23 PM
I pretty sure this is one of the signs of the apocalypse. :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
02-03-09, 08:06 PM
NHL doesn't even have a second car

pchall
02-03-09, 08:11 PM

Now they are going to be a three car superteam with Rahal, Duno, and Doornbos according to Miller at Spud.tv. link (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-milka-duno-and-robert-doornbos-to-newman-hass-lanigan/)

I can see Haas sucking all the money out of the IRL he can before it folds.

Chief
02-03-09, 08:43 PM
:rofl: A crash packed season ahead.

Don Quixote
02-03-09, 09:03 PM
They need to take the N out of NHL. OMG. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
02-03-09, 09:08 PM
They need to take the N out of NHL. OMG. :shakehead That's the first thing I thought. The second Paul is gone, Haas turns into a whore..................maybe a big bolt of lighting will find him on the stand and light up his dog rocket.

Elmo T
02-03-09, 09:35 PM
They need to take the N out of NHL. OMG. :shakehead

I though the same as well. I $$ am $$ sure $$ they $$ wanted $$ the best driver $$ in their $$ car $$$.

Hesketh
02-04-09, 08:56 AM
(Notice I left out the age ;) ) Same here. But in an oddly peculiar twist, I cannot stand to watch as the IRK self-destructs, even though I hope for it, because the wounds of the CCWS implosion are still too fresh. Coming up is the first season I do not anticipate at all. It never even crosses my mind.

For a second there, I thought I was reading a paper post. The IRL certainly seems to cross your mind a lot, TravelGal, juding from your posts... ;)

The second Paul is gone, Haas turns into a whore..................maybe a big bolt of lighting will find him on the stand and light up his dog rocket.

I think Carl has always had a thing for money.

chop456
02-04-09, 09:20 AM

They won't even have a first car if they let Milkers near it.

Methanolandbrats
02-04-09, 09:33 AM
They won't even have a first car if they let Milkers near it.:laugh:

Chief
02-04-09, 10:49 AM
Yeah, but the futility of it all will be great. They should sign Justin Wilson now with Charo's $$$ and have him fill in on roads/streets and when Mika is having her back MRI'd. Just another sad gimmick from the IRL.

SurfaceUnits
02-04-09, 11:24 AM
what are the gomers saying about a cart team stealing driver and sponsor from an indycar team? must be a joy for them

NismoZ
02-04-09, 01:25 PM
:saywhat:C'mon, April Fools, right? RIGHT!? Pullin'
in my chips.

formulaben
02-05-09, 03:41 AM
WOW. I guess they've somehow piqued my interest with this insanity...but come on. :(

Duroc
02-05-09, 08:46 PM
Brings to mind the end of Unforgiven:

Little Bill: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
Will Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

No fans, no TV, no manufacturers and no sponsors. Legit owners are hiring ride buyers or taking a walk.

This the point in the collapse where future residents of the Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex start showing up as team principals.

Fio1
02-06-09, 01:48 AM
Are you serious? Milka Dunno at Newman-Haas? :rofl: Dude, 5 years ago they wouldn't take that Formula Atlantic kid*, who actually won a race or two, because he didn't have the 'experience' they wanted.

*what was that Canadian kids name who ran with Lynx in 2001 I believe? He was the one who brought the healthcare company (Pacific Life?) that was on Junquiera's car.

At the end of the day, if she's actually financing the whole team what can you do? :saywhat: It's either that or close shop. :gomer:

pferrf1
02-06-09, 09:38 AM
Michael Valiente?

NismoZ
03-06-09, 06:19 PM
Vasser saying he thinks they can run a 2nd car at Indy and after. Looking at Servia and Tracy. Moreas might be faster than both of them! Indy radio.