PDA

View Full Version : Firefox?!? Grrrr....

dando
12-12-08, 03:47 PM
Is it just me or is the latest version on 3.04 a pig? I've experienced some serious slowdowns on two machines, and I'm continually getting a Flash script error that a Flash script is causing a meltdown. :saywhat: :irked: :thumdown: If this keeps up, I'm switching to chrome.

-Kevin

jcollins28
12-12-08, 04:44 PM
Try this,

http://internetducttape.com/2006/12/02/how-to-fix-the-firefox-memory-leak-firefox-hack/

Mine seems to be fine but I'm not doing a done of multi-tasking. I might have 3-4 taps open at the same time for the most part and no apps running in the back ground.

dando
12-12-08, 04:59 PM
Try this,

http://internetducttape.com/2006/12/02/how-to-fix-the-firefox-memory-leak-firefox-hack/

Mine seems to be fine but I'm not doing a done of multi-tasking. I might have 3-4 taps open at the same time for the most part and no apps running in the back ground.

Thx. I've seen versions of this before, but haven't implemented it. Performance seriously degraded with the last update. 3.0.4 kicked ass OOTB, now it blows. :(

Oh, and it's not a leak that's the issue, it's the way it holds memory and doesn't let go of it. :mad:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-12-08, 06:26 PM
Thx. I've seen versions of this before, but haven't implemented it. Performance seriously degraded with the last update. 3.0.4 kicked ass OOTB, now it blows. :(

Oh, and it's not a leak that's the issue, it's the way it holds memory and doesn't let go of it. :mad:

-Kevin

I've been having similar issues and have tried many fixes (incl the above) to no avail. Running Noscript has helped some on Flash-heavy sites, but sometimes even a single blank tab left to idle will drive memory & CPU through the roof.

I don't particularly care for Safari but I've ended up using it more and more of late. Might be time to wipe the whole thing again.

dando
12-12-08, 10:11 PM
I've been having similar issues and have tried many fixes (incl the above) to no avail. Running Noscript has helped some on Flash-heavy sites, but sometimes even a single blank tab left to idle will drive memory & CPU through the roof.

I don't particularly care for Safari but I've ended up using it more and more of late. Might be time to wipe the whole thing again.

Bugger. :(

-Kevin

coolhand
12-13-08, 03:25 AM
2 windows with half a dozen tabs each. 150K memory. Is that a problem?

Insomniac
12-13-08, 09:25 AM
I've noticed mine running poorly as well. I uninstalled all add-ons and it still would hang randomly. It was doing better it seemed lately, but this morning it started to run poorly again.

Chrome has to be a record for Google. Out of Beta and it hasn't been 3 years. Someone desperately wants marketshare.

coolhand
12-13-08, 03:26 PM
I've used Chrome and it hands up on Flash a lot.

Methanolandbrats
12-13-08, 03:43 PM
I like IE 7, no problems at all :D

KLang
12-13-08, 07:58 PM
I like IE 7, no problems at all :D

Me too.

I don't get it. Is it an anti-Microsoft thing or do you guys just enjoy making your lives more difficult? ;)

cart7
12-14-08, 09:03 AM
I've also had the problems with FF on various websites. Photo bucket is one. Keeping a tab open for it absolutely sucks all the resources down to a crawl.

dando
12-14-08, 11:47 AM
Me too.

I don't get it. Is it an anti-Microsoft thing or do you guys just enjoy making your lives more difficult? ;)

IE is closed to developers outside of M$FT while FF allows open development of plug ins, etc. Much of the work I do is made easier by the extensions FF allows (in addition to w00t updates :) ). Feel free to be a sheep using IE. :p

-Kevin

Cam
12-14-08, 05:57 PM
IE is closed to developers outside of M$FT while FF allows open development of plug ins, etc. Much of the work I do is made easier by the extensions FF allows (in addition to w00t updates :) ). Feel free to be a sheep using IE. :p

-Kevin

In my current role I am seeing where a lot of the IE share is seen on websites. Corporate lockin. Large companies will not allow the use of FF even tho the user wants to. They do a lot of browsing in their usual day of work (banking and real estate firms etc). If you could take out that portion of the stats, IE share would be a hell of a lot lower.

nissan gtp
12-14-08, 06:42 PM
FF is a PITA in big companies because it's hard to install and maintain. Our users don't have admin privs (thank goodness), so FF is hard to deal with.

nrc
12-14-08, 07:27 PM
Me too.

If it's an anti-Microsoft thing then it seems to be a growing phenomena. IE browser share and MS platform share continue to drop steadily.

G.
12-14-08, 09:58 PM
Newest FF 3.04 is a pig, yes.

Disappointed.

nrc
12-15-08, 02:21 AM
Newest FF 3.04 is a pig, yes.

Disappointed.

Perhaps something specific to the Windows version? I still have 2.0 on one Linux machine and 3.0.4 on another and 3.0.4 seems faster.

dando
12-15-08, 09:24 AM
Perhaps something specific to the Windows version? I still have 2.0 on one Linux machine and 3.0.4 on another and 3.0.4 seems faster.

It is. I'm running 3.0.4 on my Mactop and it's running fine.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-15-08, 02:34 PM
FF is a PITA in big companies because it's hard to install and maintain. Our users don't have admin privs (thank goodness), so FF is hard to deal with.

It's not hard to add it to the add/remove programs for all users. Most places prefer to support as little software as possible. I don't blame them.

ChampcarShark
12-16-08, 11:46 AM

There is a work around to install FF with no admin privs.

I have done done it in all computers I touched at my prtevious job, where restrictions where so much the computers performed slower than WIN ME.

All you do is choose custom installation and change the directory to a folder you can write, usually my docs. you may not be able to install the latest java or flash but there are older versions available.

This also works for other software too.

Sean Malone
12-16-08, 02:33 PM
Experts Say To Switch Browsers In Light of IE Vulnerability
Posted by timothy on Tuesday December 16, @08:52AM
from the here's-my-number-if-the-place-burns-down dept. (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/16/1319217)

It appears that the exploit in IE briefly mentioned a few days ago is causing a serious reaction: SteveAU writes "Microsoft has begun flooding media outlets with information advising users to switch to an alternate browser while a serious security flaw is being patched. The flaw, which affects all versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, is manifested via malware and has infected over 6000 sites thus far. Microsoft states: 'The vulnerability exists as an invalid pointer reference in the data-binding function of Internet Explorer. When data binding is enabled (which is the default state), it is possible under certain conditions for an object to be released without updating the array length, leaving the potential to access the deleted object's memory space. This can cause Internet Explorer to exit unexpectedly, in a state that is exploitable.'" According to the BBC report, though, Microsoft itself is only asking that users be "vigilant while it investigated and prepared an emergency patch"; it's outside experts who say to dump IE (at least for now).

oddlycalm
12-16-08, 04:06 PM
So the choice is between FF and having hold on to memory or IE and it's perpetual security issues....? Chrome may be an option for the moment simply because it's a thinly used alternative for the moment.

oc

extramundane
12-16-08, 09:38 PM
FF 3.0.5 just dropped today. We'll see if it helps any...