PDA

View Full Version : RSS Readers

Insomniac
12-08-08, 04:32 PM
What RSS readers are you guys using?

I used Wizz RSS Firefox extension for a long time but I just can't stand that it basically locks up my browser for 20-30s.

I liked it because it had a "Watch List" that you basically added your feeds to and it would go and check for new items every X minutes. Then at your leisure you could view all the new items.

The other ones I find seem to just get what is currently on the feed, but many limit their feed to say 10 items. I'd like to leave it running all day and come back and see the "headlines", not just the 10 latest. Any recommendations? (I'm running Windows)

KLang
12-08-08, 05:24 PM
I am trying out the one in Outlook 2007 at work. I'm only pulling in the MSNBC feed but it seems to work OK. I've never touched RSS previously so I have nothing else to compare to.

dando
12-09-08, 04:18 PM
I've only dabbled with RSS readers, mainly using Google Reader. I have a buddy who is more into RSS feeds, so I'll ping him for suggestions.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-09-08, 04:23 PM
I'm giving Thunderbird a whirl. It's not too bad. I think there may be a problem with the WEEI (Boston sports radio, many here won't care) feeds. Said there was 1000+ entries and there was one message in the folder.

Audi_A4
12-09-08, 04:49 PM
excuse my ignorance but what are rss readers? I see rss feed info on some sites and have wondered

cameraman
12-09-08, 04:55 PM
An efficient software-based method of wasting time.

Insomniac
12-09-08, 05:02 PM
The readers just read those feeds (which are typically a list of some sort, like CNN's would likely be news headlines) and present them to you. It just saves you the trouble of visiting the website.

dando
12-09-08, 05:03 PM
excuse my ignorance but what are rss readers? I see rss feed info on some sites and have wondered

RSS readers slurp content from sites to which you subscribe to their feeds, and allows you to consume the content from many sites in the reader w/o visiting the sites.

-Kevin