PDA

View Full Version : More adventures in Micro$oft land

SurfaceUnits
12-06-08, 06:11 PM
How do you upgrade your 32-bit Vista OS to 64-bit Vista according to M$?

1) You wipe the 32-bit Vista OS off your machine
2) You install Windows XP 32-bit
a) If you don't own XP, I guess you will have to buy it
3) Upgrade Windows XP 32-bit to 64-bit Vista

:shakehead

OW
12-06-08, 06:27 PM
First you buy a 64-bit processor - (which is the now default) - I guess
:cool:

Insomniac
12-06-08, 08:38 PM
Looks like it's full version or nothing for 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Vista. The upgrade does not list Vista 32 as a previous OS. Only XP and 2000. A licensing issue vs. technical.

SurfaceUnits
12-06-08, 11:12 PM
Looks like it's full version or nothing for 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Vista. The upgrade does not list Vista 32 as a previous OS. Only XP and 2000. A licensing issue vs. technical.

what I listed is strait off MS's site.

Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista
If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD, you must use one of the following methods.
Method 1
Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
Method 2

1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation method that is listed earlier in this article.

Insomniac
12-06-08, 11:31 PM
what I listed is strait off MS's site.

Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista
If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD, you must use one of the following methods.
Method 1
Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
Method 2

1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation method that is listed earlier in this article.

Sorry. I was trying to say that it seems MS decided that the only versions of Windows you can upgrade to 64-bit Vista are Windows XP and Win2K. Those are poor directions.

If you have a non-upgrade install of Vista 32 you can get the 64 version for a small fee.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

ChampcarShark
12-08-08, 12:50 PM
Microsoft never ceases to amaze me.