PDA

View Full Version : Make a profit on your next wedding

SurfaceUnits
12-04-08, 09:07 PM
Funny
:laugh:

LOL, when my wife and I married, we had $5000 to our name. We wanted to move to Florida to start a new life, so instead of blowing thousands of dollars, we had our wedding and reception for $600. It was perfect!

We got married by the bay, had a reception at a nice Italian restaurant. To keep costs down, we booked as a large party and handed our 35 guests a one-page subset of the restaurant menu, with three dinner choices. Any alcohol was cash and carry.

Everyone had a great time and I'd do it again the same way even though I can now afford much more.

I think we even made a "profit" if you counted wedding gifts

datachicane
12-05-08, 12:28 AM
I know we cleared a profit on our wedding.

My paternal grandfather performed the wedding, my maternal grandmother made the wedding cake, my future mother-in-law made the wedding and bridesmaid dresses, a bandmate played guitar, an aunt made the requisite food, candies, hors d'oeuvres, decorations, etc., the church's fee was heavily discounted since my grandfather was a former pastor there, etc., etc.
I doubt if we spent more than $200 total.

Frankly, I can't understand the need to spend cubic money on a wedding, especially for young folks who could put all that capital to much better use. My family could certainly afford a blowout, but why give money to caterers that oughta be a down payment on a house or paying off college loans?

mapguy
12-05-08, 06:44 AM
That sounds like what the wife and I did. Got married at her mom's by a retired JoP. Had the reception at our place. We bought lots of booze, a keg of Sam Adams and food. Cost us about the same.

chop456
12-05-08, 07:02 AM
^ And you only had to rent the top half of the tux.

BTW, thanks for the invite, deadbeat. I would have bought you a FOUR slice toaster.

Wifey's cousin got married 2 years ago and spent more than double what we paid for our house.

devilmaster
12-05-08, 07:31 AM
^ And you only had to rent the top half of the tux.

:laugh:

come to think of it, the only wedding photo i've ever seen of mappy was a chest up shot.... ;)

mapguy
12-06-08, 03:46 PM
WTF? Now that SOG is gone it seems that I have become OC's official punching bag. First the iPod thread and now this....

BTW, thanks for the invite, deadbeat. I would have bought you a FOUR slice toaster.

I scanned your invite. You didn't get it? All this time I thought that you were pizzled that I didn't get MGD for your plebian beer tastes.

come to think of it, the only wedding photo i've ever seen of mappy was a chest up shot.... .

Funny how that turned oot, eh? ;)

devilmaster
12-07-08, 06:37 AM
WTF? Now that SOG is gone it seems that I have become OC's official punching bag. First the iPod thread and now this...

now now mappy, no hard feelings, i'm here to help you out.

which way did you come in?
;)