PDA

View Full Version : Best stuff

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 06:34 PM
Anyone have something they really like, or that works better than it has any right to? It's the gift giving season and it might be useful to hear about things that really please their owners. Doesn't matter how big or small, expensive or inexpensive. Computer game, kitchen tool, the roomba your cat likes to ride on, bicycle, favorite T shirt, anything at all.

oc

Ankf00
12-04-08, 06:37 PM
roomba + cat = :rofl:

sister just got a snow leopard/bengal hybrid, behaves like a dog, figured out how to toy with the automatic litter box cleaner w/ 10 min delay motion sensor w/in 24 hours, and stalks like an apex predator. cool critter.

purchase of year: patagonia fleece from steepandcheap, synchilla? material. light, durable, very wind resistant, and bloody warm. wear it out in town & backcountry.

snowboard boots w/ BOA lace system, grip & twist ftw. when your fingers are frozen solid messing with laces sucks. go for the boots w/ 2 BOA wheels that lace up 2 different parts of the boot, so foot can be under a different pressure than the ankle/shin.

Cam
12-04-08, 06:39 PM
roomba + cat = :rofl:

sister just got a snow leopard/bengal hybrid, acts like a dog, stalks like an apex predator

I'm widja on teh ROFL.

Where do I get one of them *****cats? Sounds cool. :)

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 07:05 PM
To make the hijack complete....:gomer:

LQ-jv8g1YVI

Robstar
12-04-08, 07:26 PM
I must be getting old - I had to google roomba LOL

datachicane
12-04-08, 07:39 PM
Blackberry 8330
WD TV HD Media Player
1978 Apache Mesa :tony:

Don Quixote
12-04-08, 08:00 PM
I bought one of those digital picture frames for my elderly mom, and that has been a big hit. With a 2 gb memory stick you would have to sit there for 2 days to see all the pictures.

And I want to see a pic of that cat Ank is talking about.

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 08:41 PM
Tucker BurnGuard nomex mitts. I use them inside and outside. Reach into a pot of boiling water without fear to pull out crabs or lift a hot grill off the Q. The 18" size protects the forearms as well. Pick up an entire 25lb turkey and move it without having to think about it. Washable and they seem to last forever. Any color you want as long as it's black & blue.

Logitech Harmony One universal remote. I've owned too many universal remotes over the years and none stuck, but this one I can live with long term. I never thought I'd give up the TiVo remote, which has great balance and feel, but I have. The motion sensor lights it up when you move it and it's very intuitive for family or visitors. Programming is logical and easily done via USB. I even found my somewhat obscure Linn (Scotland) audio components from the massive online library. About the only thing I had to edit were a couple button reassignments for TiVo to make it more clear for visitors.

oc

Ank - nice call on the Patagonia. I got a fleece hoody on order for the wife. :thumbup:

Ankf00
12-05-08, 12:41 AM
I'm widja on teh ROFL.

Where do I get one of them *****cats? Sounds cool. :)

i know, i hate cats, but this one is ridiculously cool. when i crash on their couch i wake up to see him manning a post 18" from my head looking for the boogeyman. was a product of a univ experiment to give house cats a leopard pelt with the goal of associating leopard pelts w/ "pets" in the public's mind, thereby cutting down on the poaching trade. bengal sized cat, but ridiculously rich, thick pelt. bloody smart, lightning quick sprints, and dog-like play & affection. i can live w/ this critter, even if his cousins belong on a vietnamese grill :D

Ankf00
12-05-08, 12:46 AM
Ank - nice call on the Patagonia. I got a fleece hoody on order for the wife. :thumbup:

holla!

anait
12-05-08, 11:29 AM
Roomba = fun for all. :D If your pets don't like to ride on it, they'll still entertain you by running like heck when they see it coming. (Heh - and we had a typically Cdn response to the Roomba when we first got it...if it bumped into our feet, we'd apologize to it. :rolleyes: )

Make sure the 'lighthouses' - the marker stations that keep the Roomba within a confined space - are always working. If you let the Roomba roam through a whole floor at a time, the cleaning job isn't as thorough.

Another very practical gift I received last year - a reloadable Timmy's card. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-05-08, 11:38 AM
These are great for winter traction. The Pro model for running
http://www.yaktrax.com/products.aspx

Cam
12-05-08, 07:05 PM
These are great for winter traction. The Pro model for running
http://www.yaktrax.com/products.aspx

I aint going anywhere near any place again where I would possibly need traction modifications to my footware.

TKGAngel
12-05-08, 07:41 PM
I love my cushtop for my laptop. It keeps the hot laptop out of my lap, and provides easy storage for cords, earbuds and even a small pad of paper.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=472656

oddlycalm
12-05-08, 08:07 PM
I love my cushtop for my laptop. It keeps the hot laptop out of my lap, and provides easy storage for cords, earbuds and even a small pad of paper.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=472656
Nice, what color is yours?

oc

OW
12-05-08, 09:01 PM
That Roomba kitty video was WAY cute
Had to even bring the wife in to watch....

TKGAngel
12-06-08, 08:31 AM
Nice, what color is yours?

oc

I have the brown / blue one. Got it at Tar-zhay for less than what the manufacturer is charging on their website.

eiregosod
12-06-08, 09:24 AM
I bought a $10 knife from the grocery store, I keep it sharp, can cut all sorts of stuff.

Andrew Longman
12-06-08, 10:34 AM
Svea 123 backback stove. Mine is now 31 years old and worked perfectly on hundreds of trips. The design may be 2-3 times older than that.

North Face VE25 Four Season tent. http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/ve-25.htmlDesign has been updated over the years, mine in 25 years old and still performs exactly as promised. Easy to set up. Won't blow over or collapse in wind or snow. Vents well. Sleep three comfortably. Sat dry in it in the pouring rain for three days once. Nothing over engineered or too clever just very well thought out.

My Acura TL. Absolutely zero regrets excepting the crappy Bridgstones it came with.

Bachmann Spectrum 70 ton HO scale Shay. Fantastically detailed and constructed for a plastic model and runs exceptionally well. Tremendous value and allowed me to get the Shay model I'd wanted since I was a kid but could never afford
OhjxH1uHkwo

OW
12-06-08, 11:59 AM
Kitty Video "no longer available"
What up wit dat?

OW
12-06-08, 12:15 PM
It's back
(Youtube glitch?)

dando
12-06-08, 07:02 PM
My ~10 year-old ReplayTV boxes....replaced the drives once (knock, knock), but my ~$300 investment in each has paid off handsomely. Of course they don't have the latest and greatest features, but they've paid for themselves 10x. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Indy
12-06-08, 07:50 PM
Alcohol. It's fun and it's cheap. Chicks dig it.

Other drugs optional.

Cam
12-06-08, 07:55 PM

Other drugs optional.

Quit spamming! :gomer: :D ;)

Indy
12-06-08, 07:59 PM
Quit spamming! :gomer: :D ;)

On the contrary, my friend. I speak from personal experience.

Now, since you are morally opposed to booze, I understand your misconception, but I highly recommend you try it. I think you would enjoy it a great deal. :laugh:

dando
12-06-08, 08:02 PM
Logitech Harmony One universal remote. I've owned too many universal remotes over the years and none stuck, but this one I can live with long term. I never thought I'd give up the TiVo remote, which has great balance and feel, but I have. The motion sensor lights it up when you move it and it's very intuitive for family or visitors. Programming is logical and easily done via USB. I even found my somewhat obscure Linn (Scotland) audio components from the massive online library. About the only thing I had to edit were a couple button reassignments for TiVo to make it more clear for visitors.

oc

I started with the 2nd gen Harmony remote and was hooked. I currently use the 550 (came with my HK receiver) and the 880, which is perfect for DVR users. However, the bulid quality dropped big time after the first few editions (I had to return two 550s to get one that worked and it still can't keep the clock right). So after Logitech bought them, I hesitant to buy another version. Sad because they really reshaped the universal remote. :(

-Kevin

oddlycalm
12-06-08, 09:19 PM
build quality dropped big time after the first few editions
I'd seen that on the forums so I was hesitant and relieved to find my recent production example to be better than expected.

I feel you on the ReplyTV. We had many years of great service from our 3000 and 4500 series and there are features that I sorely miss. The TiVo S3/HD are really great products but they could benefit from the ability use the program directory grid for point and shoot recording edits on the fly, a Zones-like feature that included global search for season & series premier/finale lookup and more than a single directory for recorded material. I suspect because Replay offered recording capacities in the hundreds of hours they saw the need earlier to offer some server level features. Now that TiVo is offering 1T drives (:thumbup:) my hope is that they will appropriate some of those features.

oc

Insomniac
12-06-08, 11:22 PM
Book recommendations?

cameraman
12-07-08, 12:33 AM

:saywhat::eek::saywhat:

You have never shopped for my wife...

Aberfeldy Single Malt Highland Malt Whisky 21 year
Oban Single Malt Scotch Whisky 14 year
Dalwhinnie Single Highland Malt Whisky 15 year
Conundrum 2006 White Table Wine
Altamura 2005 Napa Valley Sangiovese
Trappistes Rochefort 8
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

and that is just looking about the kitchen as I type...

TravelGal
12-08-08, 02:32 AM
Where do you get the Oban single malt?

I tend to keep things for-ev-er so we won't even go into my Gremlin. 23 years old when I sold it; still running well, original paint and transmission. Oh I said I wouldn't go into that.

TravelGuy's favorite thing is a our Softub. Very nifty. Runs on 110. Lid helps the economy. Sides are (yes) soft so you don't get a crick in your neck (or butt). Can be used indoors also. Some folks roll it inside in the winter and outside in the summer.

On a smaller scale, I can't do without my Isotoner Slippers. Keep the tootsies warm but soles are hard enough to go running outside if I need to.

Indy
12-08-08, 02:44 AM

Trappistes Rochefort 8

Let me guess, the Conundrum's for you?

oddlycalm
12-08-08, 06:39 PM
Book recommendations?

Pretty good read and it may literally save your life.

How Doctors Think (http://www.amazon.com/How-Doctors-Think-Jerome-Groopman/dp/0547053649/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/176-3844542-6996459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228775805&sr=8-1)

oc

cameraman
12-09-08, 12:33 AM
How Doctors Think (http://www.amazon.com/How-Doctors-Think-Jerome-Groopman/dp/0547053649/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/176-3844542-6996459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228775805&sr=8-1)

oc

Having worked with/for doctors for the last 20 years I'm guessing the book is found in the horror section...

Insomniac
12-09-08, 10:54 AM
Pretty good read and it may literally save your life.

oc

Looks like a good book. I'll get it for myself. Not sure it's the most uplifting x-mas gift for a friend kind of in the dumps (working 2.5 jobs). Not that a gift would change anything really, but it could at least just be a fun, non-serious distraction for a bit.

jcollins28
12-09-08, 07:37 PM

Trappistes Rochefort 8

Your wife drinks Scotch? :eek:Damn that is hardcore right there.

oddlycalm
12-09-08, 07:56 PM
Looks like a good book. I'll get it for myself. Not sure it's the most uplifting x-mas gift for a friend kind of in the dumps (working 2.5 jobs). Not that a gift would change anything really, but it could at least just be a fun, non-serious distraction for a bit.

Yeah, probably some good escapist fare with plenty of sex would numb the pain better.

oc

Insomniac
12-10-08, 09:57 AM
Trying to decide between the Garmin Nuvi 255W and TomTom XL 330S. Anyone have an opinion? (I was also considering the Garmin Nuvi 755T or TomTom GO 730 for the lane assist/guidance but it seems that is very limited now. I'd get one of those if there was a hot deal/sale that dropped the price closer to $200.)

dcracer
12-10-08, 11:14 AM
Trying to decide between the Garmin Nuvi 255W and TomTom XL 330S. Anyone have an opinion? (I was also considering the Garmin Nuvi 755T or TomTom GO 730 for the lane assist/guidance but it seems that is very limited now. I'd get one of those if there was a hot deal/sale that dropped the price closer to $200.)

That's like opening an open wheel debate.:laugh: Personally I would have to go with the Garmin. I currently own the Garmin 250, the predecessor to the 255. I am more than pleased with its performance. Its a basic gps unit but it uses the same routing engine as the more expensive models, without the bells and whistles. I needed a unit to get me from point A to B, and the Garmin has never lead me wrong.

nrc
12-10-08, 12:41 PM
I'd second Garmin. Just finally jumped in when Woot had a refurb (ROXOR) Garmin StreetPilot 510c very cheap. Basically a Euro model loaded with American maps. My impression is that it's much easier to use than our in-law's high end TomToms.

I was a bit bothered when it routed Grrl on some secondary roads with stop and go traffic on a recent trip, but it appeared to cut about 20 minutes off her drive time vs. what Google maps came up with.

Sean Malone
12-13-08, 01:03 PM
I love my Garmin Colorado 400c. Got a Garmin 720 in one car and a Garmin 205w in the other. Highly recommend them all.

I got my SQL programmer sister a t-shirt that says "SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0". She is going to die laughing.

cameraman
12-18-08, 03:50 PM
Your wife drinks Scotch? :eek:Damn that is hardcore right there.

Just picked up a bottle of The Balvenie Portwood 21 year:thumbup:

Gangrel
12-18-08, 05:45 PM

Garmin Nuvi 780 here. Wouldn't trade it in for the world!

Insomniac
12-18-08, 06:01 PM
Garmin Nuvi 780 here. Wouldn't trade it in for the world!

Well, as a quick update, I ended up getting neither. They don't have maps that are up to date around my parent's house. Kind of defeats the purpose (even though they know how to get home) when you drive on roads that don't exist according to the GPS. Worst part is they then want $70 more once the maps (I submitted updates to NavTeq (Garmin) and TeleAtlas (TomTom)) are updated. Not only will they all be cheaper, but the updated maps would be included by waiting. Now I'll see which map provider updates faster. (NavTeq has changed the status to "Researched" (whatever that means)).

Sean Malone
01-20-09, 04:31 PM
Christmas gift follow up - My wife gave me a gift she saw on 'thinkgeek' when we were ordering some gifts for others. It is the CD Library II. This thing has blown us away in it's usability and functionality. It holds 150 discs of any type, connects via USB to your PC. Simply associate a numbered slot with your title and when you want to retrieve it, double click on the title (uses a predictive search) and the carousel spins around and spits out your disc. We hated our 200+ DVD collection in the 3 ring binders. It was a chore to find anything specific. Now any movie is a double click away. I absolutely love this thing.
Another neat aspect is that you can daisy chain multiple units together in case 150 slots isn't enough (in our case I weeded out our DVD collection to 150, now I want to get another one for music). The only negative is the clunky database software. It is functional, but basic, EX. you can't search by genre only title. I wish it used DVD Profiler database software which even has a 'check in/check out' feature when you loan disc out to friends/family. For $120 though, it is well worth it for anyone with any kind of disc collection.

Wheel-Nut
01-20-09, 04:57 PM
Bachmann Spectrum 70 ton HO scale Shay. Fantastically detailed and constructed for a plastic model and runs exceptionally well. Tremendous value and allowed me to get the Shay model I'd wanted since I was a kid but could never afford
OhjxH1uHkwo

Cool. :thumbup: