PDA

View Full Version : 2013 The End.

Pages : [1] 2 3

trish
12-03-08, 07:54 PM
I read this on another site and it's accredited to AR1.

Allegedly TG said the IRL is not now profitable and if it remains that way by 2013 there won't be a series.

It's going to be an interesting five years.

STD
12-03-08, 08:25 PM
It's simply delusional that it will last that long.

Fio1
12-03-08, 08:47 PM
The Indy 500 will become a Grand-Am race!

pchall
12-03-08, 09:13 PM
The Indy 500 will become a Grand-Am race!

Only because Cup has a bigger date to fullfil that weekend.:tony:

Andrew Longman
12-03-08, 09:14 PM
If that's the case, why not just end it now?

Gnam
12-03-08, 09:45 PM
as was mentioned in another thread...

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

JLMannin
12-03-08, 10:26 PM
The 500 will remain. It will be the only race.

Don Quixote
12-03-08, 10:27 PM
This is one of the most incredibly stupid things ever said by any human being. Imagine the effect such a statement has on potential series sponsors, team sponsors, tv contracts, team morale, employee morale, etc. Just when you think his level of stupidity has peaked, he comes up with this nuclear bomb of stupid. Who the hell is he threatening with this. The fans? :rofl: :shakehead :flame:

Methanolandbrats
12-03-08, 10:37 PM
This is one of the most incredibly stupid things ever said by any human being. Imagine the effect such a statement has on potential series sponsors, team sponsors, tv contracts, team morale, employee morale, etc. Just when you think his level of stupidity has peaked, he comes up with this nuclear bomb of stupid. Who the hell is he threatening with this. The fans? :rofl: :shakehead :flame:
He's growing weary of a houseful of women busting his balls 24 hours a day about wasting money. He either has to kill the bitches or find an excuse to tank the IRL.

SteveH
12-03-08, 11:37 PM

winner winner, chicken dinner

This might be the single most stupid remark that he has ever uttered. Admitting that it may only have a five year shelf life while the League is looking for a sponsor as well as engine manufacturers. Tony just torpedoed his future. :rolleyes:

I still can't believe we lost to this doofus. :yuck::cry:

TravelGal
12-04-08, 02:53 AM

Now, now, no need to state the obvious.

But I'm glad you did because otherwise I would have said the same thing.

eiregosod
12-04-08, 07:33 AM

FTG said it wont exist by 2013, when will it go tits up? 09 10, 11 12 ?

but Nascar and f1 are diluting their own product faster than FTG can burn through the Hulman familly-fart-tune.

All bets are off as regards who will be the dominant race car series, swamp buggy racing, bass fishing and field dressing, the new triathlon.

pchall
12-04-08, 08:25 AM
time to cue up The Doors music...

this is the end

break on through to the other side

eiregosod
12-04-08, 08:58 AM
time to cue up The Doors music...

this is the end

I thought the same thing.

Methanolandbrats
12-04-08, 10:06 AM
It's the economy that did it :tony: Not :tony:'s fault. No choice but to shut it down. I500 --------> vintage festival.

TRDfan
12-04-08, 10:29 AM
Moron

FTG
12-04-08, 12:13 PM
This might be the single most stupid remark that he has ever uttered.

Actually, it might be the most intelligent thing he's ever said.

SteveH
12-04-08, 01:45 PM
Actually, it might be the most intelligent thing he's ever said.

Good point. Most honest thing he's ever said as well.

http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 04:39 PM
This might be the single most stupid remark that he has ever uttered.
Yes, but he's certainly fielded keen competition for that particular title...:tony: :laugh:

It does support the theory that stupid people are dangerous and stupid people with money are dangerous to a large number or others.

oc

STD
12-04-08, 05:43 PM

Sometimes it leaps out and posts itself, I swear I was just thinking it. :)

STD
12-04-08, 05:52 PM
FTG said it wont exist by 2013, when will it go tits up? 09 10, 11 12 ?

I'm hoping right after Kansas 2009. With twelve car grids for the last three events before the meltdown. ;)

pchall
12-04-08, 09:21 PM
Good point. Most honest thing he's ever said as well.

http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

Needs more creamed chipped beef....

Gnam
12-04-08, 09:44 PM
^ :D

manic mechanic
12-05-08, 01:42 AM
I'm hoping right after Kansas 2009. With twelve car grids for the last three events before the meltdown. ;)

Well, why don't we help it along then...

My mantra:

LBGP 2009: Full house on Saturday,
Ghost town on Sunday!

manic

miatanut
12-05-08, 01:49 AM

I could see him running a six race series with The Only Race That Really Matters as its centerpiece. Only thing that could stop that is Mari kicking the bucket. If that happens within the next five years, yeah, that will be the last season right there.

Winston Wolfe
12-05-08, 01:53 AM
Well, why don't we help it along then...

My mantra:

LBGP 2009: Full house on Saturday,
Ghost town on Sunday!

manic

I am with ya, Manic.... full house Sat, then go down there Sun with signs that say "LBGP Cancelled due to Crapwagen Festival" - the hundreds that know what that means will turn away the thousands who are there for the Volleyball tourney and the drifting competition..... or sumpin like dat....:tony:

manic mechanic
12-05-08, 02:25 AM
I am with ya, Manic.... full house Sat, then go down there Sun with signs that say "LBGP Cancelled due to Crapwagen Festival" - the hundreds that know what that means will turn away the thousands who are there for the Volleyball tourney and the drifting competition..... or sumpin like dat....:tony:

Hell, we're gonna have a beach party down in Marina Park! Brews, BBQ, mini-bar, and the Champ Car faithful.

You are welcome to join us... Just bring me a beer! (you know why) ;)

manic

ChrisB
12-06-08, 10:12 AM
Q: Is IRL profitable as a stand-alone business?

George: Not yet.

This reminds me of waaaaay back in the 90's to ras.indy days when some of us were questioning if the IRL is essentially a promotional EXPENSE for the Indy 500. This almost confirms it, years later.

Lux Interior
12-12-08, 10:28 PM
2009 may be the end if the world-wide economy stays in the tank.

Make the 500 an ALMS race and be done with it.

That, or run super-modified's with a first place purse of $7 million. That would be a hoot:D

opinionated ow
12-12-08, 11:04 PM
2009 may be the end if the world-wide economy stays in the tank.

Make the 500 an ALMS race and be done with it.

That, or run super-modified's with a first place purse of $7 million. That would be a hoot:D

I love that last idea!

OW
12-13-08, 12:03 PM
America's first automobile race on Thanksgiving Day, November 27, 1895

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/duryea.htm

If there is a first? Is there ultimately a last?

Don Quixote
12-13-08, 12:36 PM
America's first automobile race on Thanksgiving Day, November 27, 1895

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/duryea.htm

If there is a first? Is there ultimately a last? I heard that it was shown on ABC's Wide World of Sports. :D

pchall
12-13-08, 08:12 PM
I heard that it was shown on ABC's Wide World of Sports. :D

:rofl:

Jim McKay was just starting to shave in the mornings, but Chris Econocranki was already old.

High Sided
12-17-08, 10:19 AM
is tony back on coke?

"In 2013, we'll be through our Centennial Era and our new technical package will have been introduced for a couple of years," George said. "I think you'll continue to see a predominantly North American-based championship. I think 16 to 20 races for what we do now is a comfortable number. I know there will be opportunities for us to do some more international outreach, whether it's through licensing or actually taking our product and creating a winter season.

"Drivers want to drive every week and if the operating budgets and sponsorships we depend on are there I think you could see us do as many as 22, 24 races a year. Or you could see something like ALMS has done in licensing our specifications, our name and brand for a European schedule."

chop456
12-17-08, 10:30 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: @ :tony:

patski
12-17-08, 11:38 AM
is tony back on coke?

"In 2013, we'll be through our Centennial Era and our new technical package will have been introduced for a couple of years," George said. "I think you'll continue to see a predominantly North American-based championship. I think 16 to 20 races for what we do now is a comfortable number. I know there will be opportunities for us to do some more international outreach, whether it's through licensing or actually taking our product and creating a winter season.

"Drivers want to drive every week and if the operating budgets and sponsorships we depend on are there I think you could see us do as many as 22, 24 races a year. Or you could see something like ALMS has done in licensing our specifications, our name and brand for a European schedule."

Never quit!

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 11:53 AM
Delusional, factually incorrect and a big helping of stupid all in one paragraph.:saywhat:

Andrew Longman
12-17-08, 12:03 PM
You know IF he had a product that anyone wanted to watch and produced value for teams and sponsors, it WOULD be kinda cool to have several parallel series around the globe (a la FBMW et al) drawing on the best talent and ladders there and then having them all try to qualify for Indy.

That would arguably cement Indy as the most important and competitive race on the planet and if TG had just stuck supporting ideas that help make that happen the sport would be a lot better off.

But thinking it ever could happen at this point is delusional. CART might have been able to expand internationally that way in 95 but even that would have been a leap.

Don Quixote
12-17-08, 12:29 PM
Delusional, factually incorrect and a big helping of stupid all in one paragraph.:saywhat: And for a good laugh, check out the way the gomers at TF are lapping this up. :rofl:

JLMannin
12-17-08, 12:33 PM
is tony back on coke?

"Or you could see something like ALMS has done in licensing our specifications, our name and brand for a European schedule."

What the hell is he talking about?

Methanolandbrats
12-17-08, 01:06 PM
What the hell is he talking about? He thinks the Euros copied Panoz :rofl:

High Sided
12-17-08, 07:19 PM
And for a good laugh, check out the way the gomers at TF are lapping this up. :rofl:

they have schedules and everything :gomer:

Don Quixote
12-17-08, 07:51 PM
they have schedules and everything :gomer: I saw that. Just kill me now.

SurfaceUnits
12-17-08, 08:36 PM
I saw that. Just kill me now.

dude, you gotta hang around for the end

Indy
12-18-08, 04:38 AM
Yeah, hang in there. It's just going to get funnier.

Schedules. :laugh:

JoeBob
12-21-08, 03:37 PM
I said a ong time ago that the future of Indy looked a lot like Le Mans. One giant race, and a bunch of loosely connected races that nobody really cared about where the car owners could use their equipment. Manufacturers who need some quick and easy press will invest a ton of time and energy, dominate, run a bunch of ads, and then move on. (See BMW, Audi, etc.)

TG's latest "idea" is further proof that this is where we are going.

miatanut
12-22-08, 02:36 PM
I said a ong time ago that the future of Indy looked a lot like Le Mans. One giant race, and a bunch of loosely connected races that nobody really cared about where the car owners could use their equipment. Manufacturers who need some quick and easy press will invest a ton of time and energy, dominate, run a bunch of ads, and then move on. (See BMW, Audi, etc.)

TG's latest "idea" is further proof that this is where we are going.
That's really what Tony wants. It's all about Indy.

Thing is, if he lets his series get too weak, it leaves an opening for somebody else to start a series where everybody wants to be. Kind of like IMSA did in the '80's.

pchall
12-22-08, 05:00 PM
That's really what Tony wants. It's all about Indy.

Thing is, if he lets his series get too weak, it leaves an opening for somebody else to start a series where everybody wants to be. Kind of like IMSA did in the '80's.

The days of running the month of May and a few other races for the price of a nice house are long gone --- unless the market really tanks and McMansions start selling for $35K....

oddlycalm
12-25-08, 03:36 PM
IOne giant race, and a bunch of loosely connected races that nobody really cared about where the car owners could use their equipment.

Yup, and that pretty much defines the old USAC Trail as well. I don't recall people breathlessly looking forward to Trenton.

oc

Jervis Tetch 1
01-01-09, 10:32 PM
True.

Andrew Longman
01-02-09, 12:27 PM
Yup, and that pretty much defines the old USAC Trail as well. I don't recall people breathlessly looking forward to Trenton.

oc

Well, I did. But I was 13 years old. :gomer:

pchall
01-02-09, 12:50 PM
Well, I did. But I was 13 years old. :gomer:

At 13 I'd watch anything that involved engines. :)

devilmaster
01-02-09, 02:08 PM

were they invented yet? :runs:

;) j/k pete

Andrew Longman
01-02-09, 04:38 PM

Me too. :D

But to OCs point I would know about Pocono and Trenton because they would advertise on the radio and the local sports page covered them. Except for Indy I had no real idea what was going on the rest of year except maybe to read about week later in Hot Rod or the like.

pchall
01-02-09, 05:07 PM
My dad had a subscription to Competition Press and I'd buy copies of Sports Car Graphic at the drugstore on my walk home from school. The car show issues were really informative. :D :eek:

Me too. :D

But to OCs point I would know about Pocono and Trenton because they would advertise on the radio and the local sports page covered them. Except for Indy I had no real idea what was going on the rest of year except maybe to read about week later in Hot Rod or the like.

cart7
05-02-09, 04:25 PM
Update:

Indy Racing League founder Tony George dropped a bombshell in December when he told an industry group that he would shut down the open-wheel series if it didn’t break into the black soon.

When pressed about the possibility of being profitable by 2013, George responded, “It has to be, or or there won’t be a 2013. We expect a return on that investment.”

http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp?content=36807

:tony:

oddlycalm
05-02-09, 05:44 PM
Confirmation from their fearless leader that all the bilge water the faithful have spewed in interweb forums is, in fact, just that. It's all crap. After 13yrs and $250 million down the sewer there is no plan, no significant revenue outside of the five hunnert, and he's just delivered a bullet to it's useless head. :tony:

The stupid f'er has no idea now why he ever wanted to do it in the first place. All he had to do is sit back and let CART do all the complicated stuff and he'd have been good. But noooooooooooo.....:shakehead

oc

pchall
05-02-09, 07:29 PM
The big race in May is over. Some horse won. Forget about it.

Al Czervik
05-02-09, 11:40 PM
Imagine what will happen when AGR puts Princess Permapout's engine in Mutoh's car.

nissan gtp
05-03-09, 08:30 AM
Imagine what will happen when AGR puts Princess Permapout's engine in Mutoh's car.

he'll wreck going a little faster ? :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
05-03-09, 08:35 AM
Update:

Indy Racing League founder Tony George dropped a bombshell in December when he told an industry group that he would shut down the open-wheel series if it didn’t break into the black soon.

When pressed about the possibility of being profitable by 2013, George responded, “It has to be, or or there won’t be a 2013. We expect a return on that investment.”
http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp?content=36807

:tony::saywhat: Racing as an "investment"?

stroker
05-03-09, 09:43 AM
:saywhat: Racing as an "investment"?

Ya gotta consider who said it, MB...

cart7
05-03-09, 12:51 PM
uh oh...

darn, and just when things were looking up for the earl too.. :gomer:

Saw at another forum from AR1

Tensions mounting at 16th and Georgetown UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'strong' with further news we received.

05/01/09 Rumor has it that Laura George, IMS Staff Advisor and wife of Tony George, got fired this week from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway by Tony George's sisters - Kathi George, Nancy George and Josephine (Josie) George. They along with Tony own the Speedway.
From what we hear she cleaned out her office. Do you sense a family feud brewing?

We also hear they may have hired a new Chief Financial Officer to advise on key financial matters.

suppose they'll fight her unemployment claim? :tony:

TravelGal
05-03-09, 04:40 PM
Sounds juicy but let's face it, until ToeKnee is the one that cleans out his office, this is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sean Malone
05-03-09, 04:46 PM
uh oh...

darn, and just when things were looking up for the earl too.. :gomer:

Saw at another forum from AR1

suppose they'll fight her unemployment claim? :tony:

Which George like NASCAR better?

oddlycalm
05-03-09, 11:24 PM
Sounds juicy but let's face it, until ToeKnee is the one that cleans out his office, this is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Right, they've managed to keep sharp object and loaded guns away from him this long...

oc

eiregosod
05-04-09, 07:39 AM
:tony: got everything he ever dreamed about.

Napoleon
05-04-09, 03:28 PM
Update:

Holy jumping Jesus on a pogo stick!

Napoleon
05-04-09, 04:07 PM
By the way, just for a comparision to the $250m that TG has flushed down the tolet with the IRL, does anyone happen to recall what CART's IPO brought to the owners or some other market capitalization figures for CART while public?

trish
05-04-09, 07:17 PM
By the way, just for a comparision to the $250m that TG has flushed down the tolet with the IRL, does anyone happen to recall what CART's IPO brought to the owners or some other market capitalization figures for CART while public?

http://thescore.ibj.com/content/?p=939

cart7
05-04-09, 10:00 PM
Estimates put George’s losses at more than $250 million since forming the IRL in 1996. George doesn’t talk financials. Never has, and I’d be amazed if he ever does. So, the $250 million figure is, just that, an estimate. But it’s an estimate calculated by several motorsports business experts that I think have the insight to peg the figure pretty closely.

The $250 million figure was thrown out by Fred Nation quite a few years ago. By 2002, the year before the T & H crossover, TG was supporting the teams through his leaders circle program. It's no wonder Tony suddenly thought leases were such a great deal that year. Had neither of those engine manufacturers jumped the fence, the reality was quite a few teams in the earl could not afford to purchase the next generation engines and cars that came out in 2003. In fact, quite a few folded over the 02\03 offseason.

T & H basically took over the expenses of the series for 2003 - 2005. Then Chevy and Toyota booked out of the series leaving Honda alone. TG had to add his un-sponsored racing team. Add that, not too mention the addition in 2008 of the CCWS teams, most of which weren't self sufficient to begin with along with buying them cars and engines.

$250 million? That's probably way short and I'm betting he's bleeding a lot of red every month.

SteveH
05-04-09, 11:49 PM
$250 million? That's probably way short and I'm betting he's bleeding a lot of red every month.

I hope you're correct and that the bleeding continues forever. It would only be fair.

DagoFast
07-11-13, 07:11 PM
If that's the case, why not just end it now?

Because then you wouldn't have been able to attend Poke-a-no! :rofl:

#BumpsRfun

gerhard911
07-11-13, 07:36 PM
Ouch!

That's gonna leave a mark! :eek:

SurfaceUnits
07-12-13, 04:42 AM
Because then you wouldn't have been able to attend Poke-a-no! :rofl:

#BumpsRfun

TOney didn't make it either

SurfaceUnits
07-12-13, 03:19 PM
Formola Indy Lites t ofill field with IRL scrubs

Andersen likes the idea of running IndyCar drivers in junior series races as done in the NASCAR system.

Maybe Helio can win a Formola Mazda race too

INDYCAR, the sanctioning body of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system, announced today that it has entered into an agreement for Andersen Promotions to license and operate Firestone Indy Lights beginning in 2014. - See more at: http://indylights2014.com/2013/andersen-promotions-to-operate-license-firestone-indy-lights/#sthash.Wcu7VRnP.dpuf

SurfaceUnits
07-13-13, 11:45 AM
IndyCar racing to line up sponsors to replace Izod

The IndyCar Series’ quest to find a presenting sponsor that could eventually replace Izod as title sponsor—a task series officials earlier this year called their top sales priority—has taken a blow.

Rogue Leader, here is your chance to get in on the ground floor and save the day. $10 would be mower than they are getting from Mike "350% ROI" Kelly's IZOD

Don Quixote
07-13-13, 12:13 PM
I think that fat guy with the buffet restaurant in Indianapolis should step in about now.

Chief
07-13-13, 12:44 PM
Shirley John Menard will be found not really guilty of sexual harassment as he's a awesome Hoosier sugar daddy that needs to step up and Save The Track!!!! Between Menard and the Sonax franchises that are sweeping the nation....it's in the bag! :tony:

Rogue Leader
07-13-13, 01:47 PM
IndyCar racing to line up sponsors to replace Izod

The IndyCar Series’ quest to find a presenting sponsor that could eventually replace Izod as title sponsor—a task series officials earlier this year called their top sales priority—has taken a blow.

Rogue Leader, here is your chance to get in on the ground floor and save the day. $10 would be mower than they are getting from Mike "350% ROI" Kelly's IZOD

I said I enjoyed the race, not "i like lighting money on fire".

Easy
07-13-13, 08:33 PM
You might want to do some research into Dan Andersen's history with American formula car racing before you **** on this move.

You also might want to avoid watching administrative press conferences for minor league divisions of sporting leagues you proclaim to hate. I'm not a fan of baseball so I tend avoid seeking out coverage of its developmental levels.

SurfaceUnits
07-14-13, 10:32 AM
You might want to do some research into Dan Andersen's history with American formula car racing before you **** on this move.

You also might want to avoid watching administrative press conferences for minor league divisions of sporting leagues you proclaim to hate. I'm not a fan of baseball so I tend avoid seeking out coverage of its developmental levels.

His record can't compare with TOney GOrges' and TOney is all about American oval racing.

SurfaceUnits
07-24-13, 02:12 PM
Place fans everwhere are perdickting new heights for the League after NASCAR announces its move to NBC & NBCSN. The 112 million who aren't watching now will suddenly begin watching as a result of this announcement.

The IRL - always dependent on someone else to make them popular.

SurfaceUnits
07-25-13, 12:28 AM
Nascar will be getting paid 440 million per year from NBC. The IRL is getting 6 million per year from NBC. That is over 70 times as much money.

SurfaceUnits
07-25-13, 10:29 PM
I wonder if the NASCAR fans will have as much trouble finding NBCSN as the millions of IRL fans :rofl: do

cameraman
07-25-13, 11:14 PM
NHL ratings have topped out with a 2.3 on NBCSN. If they would stop with the lockouts maybe they might even go higher:irked:

That's the all time high for Versus/NBCSN.

Time will tell how much higher NASCAR can get.

Chief
07-26-13, 02:49 PM
Well, the 88th most watched sports programming in 2013 is the NASCAR Nationwide COPD 300 on ESPN and getting a 2.2 tv rating. On ESPN.

Guess who is 79th? YEP, the I.R.L. 500, all in it's traditional glory at a 3.6 rating...the lowest TV rating since Philo Farnsworth invented the TV.

Brian France just said they won't even let the Nationwide series race with the IRL series because the IRL series would detract from their great ratings. OUCH. :thumbup:

SteveH
07-26-13, 04:01 PM
onion gum

SurfaceUnits
07-27-13, 08:47 PM
Well, the 88th most watched sports programming in 2013 is the NASCAR Nationwide COPD 300 on ESPN and getting a 2.2 tv rating. On ESPN.

Guess who is 79th? YEP, the I.R.L. 500, all in it's traditional glory at a 3.6 rating...the lowest TV rating since Philo Farnsworth invented the TV.

Brian France just said they won't even let the Nationwide series race with the IRL series because the IRL series would detract from their great ratings. OUCH. :thumbup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/24/SmallPotatoesLOGO.jpg/250px-SmallPotatoesLOGO.jpg

As for the sharing weekend question?

“No. Nationwide is significantly ahead of the Indy Racing League in terms of its television ratings and attendance and everything else with the exception, obviously, of the Indy 500. We wouldn’t want to mix that. They have to stand on their own, and we have to stand on our own,” he said.

SurfaceUnits
08-05-13, 06:56 PM
The Izod trophy girl was the only slightly interesting league tweeter, and she stopped 15 months ago

SurfaceUnits
08-06-13, 10:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/24/SmallPotatoesLOGO.jpg/250px-SmallPotatoesLOGO.jpg

As for the sharing weekend question?

“No. Nationwide is significantly ahead of the Indy Racing League in terms of its television ratings and attendance and everything else with the exception, obviously, of the Indy 500. We wouldn’t want to mix that. They have to stand on their own, and we have to stand on our own,” he said.

ESPN ratings for Pocono 3.2 up 10% from 2012. Nationwide Iowa 1.0, up from 0.7 in 2012.

SurfaceUnits
08-07-13, 07:23 PM
NASCAR completed its $8.2 billion television package Thursday by adding two years to its deal with Fox Sports and setting a schedule that gives the network the first 16 Sprint Cup races beginning in 2015.

NBC Sports paid $4.4 billion for its rights, which begin in 2015, and the Fox Sports deal is now worth $3.8 billion with Thursday's additions. It puts NASCAR at $820 million a year for the length of the 10-year contracts.

"The NASCAR Nationwide Series is second only to NASCAR Sprint Cup as the most-watched form of auto racing in the country. Fox Sports now owns the sport every weekend from Speedweeks and the Daytona 500 through June, and we expect these events to provide significant viewership for FOX Sports 1," they said. "The addition of Nationwide to the 1,100 hours of original motorsports programming already scheduled clearly puts FOX Sports at the front of the race to serve motorsports fans in the U.S."

TOney gotted 6 million :tony:

Gnam
08-08-13, 02:50 AM
Sucks to be Indycars, but this must really make Bernie mad. :D

SurfaceUnits
08-08-13, 11:32 PM
Chassis manu refuses to spend more money on the league

Dallara opts out of IndyCar aero kit production
Marshall Pruett
August 08, 2013

IndyCar Series chassis supplier Dallara has previously expressed its disinterest in providing aero kits, and with the latest “final” technical specifications for the custom bodywork having been sent to potential manufacturers, the constructor tells RACER it has officially chosen to refrain from taking part in the program.

“When the rules opened up, engine manufacturers had the right to do their own bodywork and brand the car with their name, so as an engineering company, it does not make sense to manufacture our own Dallara bodywork when GM and Honda will be making their own bodywork,” said Dallara USA CEO Stefano dePonti. “For this reason, we will not do aero kits. We will supply IndyCar all of the data for the other manufacturers to make their aero kits, but the costs to do aero kits is very expensive. It's a huge marketing decision, a huge message for the auto manufacturers to use. We are not an auto manufacturer, so we will stay out of this.”

Without the commission from a manufacturer to produce an aero kit, dePonti says investing Dallara's money to try and beat Chevy and Honda would be a pointless and costly exercise.

“Competing against Honda and Chevy [with aero kits] does not make sense for a small company like ours,” he stated. “And we assume that with the way the cars will receive branding, Chevy will want its teams to have Chevy bodywork, and Honda teams to have Honda bodywork, so we do not see the feasibility to spend a lot of money to make something that might not be put on a car.

“The best thing for us is to continue to work with the series to support the Dallara chassis and not to engage in the new bodywork design.”

http://www.racer.com/dallara-opts-out-of-indycar-aero-kit-production/article/306511/

Gnam
08-09-13, 01:15 AM
:laugh:

SurfaceUnits
08-29-13, 03:09 AM
IndyCar Series officials are seriously considering an off-season overseas mini-series of sorts at the same time one of the series’ most popular drivers—Tony Kanaan—complains about lack of sponsorship dollars, his declining pay and inability to secure a ride for next year. Meanwhile the reigning Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan says no one will give him a job racing IndyCars in 2014 unless he brings a big-time sponsor with him.

I hear INDYCARS IS BIG IN Uzbekistan.

opinionated ow
08-29-13, 04:21 AM
IndyCar Series officials are seriously considering an off-season overseas mini-series of sorts at the same time one of the series’ most popular drivers—Tony Kanaan—complains about lack of sponsorship dollars, his declining pay and inability to secure a ride for next year. Meanwhile the reigning Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan says no one will give him a job racing IndyCars in 2014 unless he brings a big-time sponsor with him.

I think a Tasman Series would actually work...

G.
08-29-13, 08:44 AM

They've exhausted all hope of getting real sponsors in the US, what else CAN they do?

Duroc
08-29-13, 09:15 AM
They've exhausted all hope of getting real sponsors in the US, what else CAN they do?

The numbers on the flyaways only worked with FedEx as title sponsor and some serious scratch from a local promoter. But then, this isn't about resurrecting Tasman or creating a southern hemisphere F1.

This is a plea for some overseas sugar daddy to save their sorry hides in the eleventh hour.

G.
08-29-13, 12:48 PM
This is a plea for some overseas sugar daddy to save their sorry hides in the eleventh hour.

So this is an example of a very rare good idea from the braintrust.

They'll screw this one up (as per SOP), then what?

Seriously, this smells like uber-DeSPeraTIoN AMplifIed, packaged up as a great opportunity for more sponsor $$.