PDA

View Full Version : Free AV software recommendation?

JLMannin
12-01-08, 11:23 AM
After being a loyal customer for several years, I finally pulled the plug on Norton AV products. My computer kept running slower and slower, and Notron 360 2.0 seemed to be more problematic. Being the the observant fellow I am, I pondered if the two observations could be correlated.

My license expired, and the renewal fee ($79) just about blew me off my chair. Then I saw a black friday ad where BestBuy was selling new 360 2.0 off the shelf for $29 :irked:. That did it for me.

I uninstalled 360 2.0, and it went amazingly quick and with no problems (I was amazed). I activated Windows Defender and installed AVG free - the computer is much faster now. I chose AVG free because my FIL and BIL have used it for about a year. My FIL is "Sir Click-a-lot" :D, and the AVG seems to keep him out of trouble.

I am looking for recommendations for other free AV products that people may have experience with. And I am looking for recommendations beyond "buy a Mac" and "Install Linux". I know, I know, I'm so picky!!! ;)

This community is a great resource for PC advice and technical troubleshooting, so thanks in advance.

Methanolandbrats
12-01-08, 11:31 AM
AVG is an excellent free one. I also have a Spysweeper plus Antivirus subscription. I run them both and they seem happy together.

opinionated ow
12-01-08, 11:35 AM
AVG kicks butt, Avast is ok too.

Speaking of AVG, has anybody else had difficulties lately where some definitions update will stop the auto update working, and in some cases stopping all definitions updates? (I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times to try and solve this)

ChampcarShark
12-01-08, 11:45 AM
Me, but I solved it doing a manual update, after that it is working by itself with no problems.

AVG free, SpyBot Search and Destroy and Zone Alarm firewall. A combination I got from here is what works for me, my sons, and my Church's pc, (which I take care of). All together 3 desktops, 3 laptops.

Methanolandbrats
12-01-08, 11:56 AM

Speaking of AVG, has anybody else had difficulties lately where some definitions update will stop the auto update working, and in some cases stopping all definitions updates? (I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times to try and solve this) Yup, have to do it manually.

G.
12-01-08, 04:19 PM

Speaking of AVG, has anybody else had difficulties lately where some definitions update will stop the auto update working, and in some cases stopping all definitions updates? (I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times to try and solve this)AVG is good.

I did a manual update last night, don't know the final outcome, but I still haven't paid a damn thing for it. Even if it was manual update only/forever, it's still a bargain.

Insomniac
12-01-08, 06:22 PM
I use Avira Anti-Vir. No problems for me.

Rogue Leader
12-01-08, 07:10 PM
I use AVG free and install it on every computer I work on for anyone I know. I also put it on any small networks I do like at my firehouse. I also use Spybot Search and Destroy to supplement it.

oddlycalm
12-01-08, 07:20 PM
Used to pick up the NAV license at Fry's when they would offer it free but even at free it got to where it was simply too intrusive. Seems like Zone Alarm is heading in a similar wrong direction.

oc

TravelGal
12-02-08, 06:22 PM

Speaking of AVG, has anybody else had difficulties lately where some definitions update will stop the auto update working, and in some cases stopping all definitions updates? (I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times to try and solve this)

Yup, have to do it manually.

I couldn't even get it to work manually for a couple of days. It seems to have sorted itself out now, however.

I use only AVG on my desktop and laptop both. It must be good because I'm checking websites from Tonga to Timbuktu. TravelGuy still insists on Norton for his desktop and complains all the time about how slow the desktop is. :rolleyes: A friend of mine just bought the Norton update yesterday and it wouldn't install/screwed her computer so bad she is barely online.

edit: I meant AVG for anti-virus. I use Spybot for the other stuff although I'm never quite sure it does everything it should. I get spam from myself so I wonder if something is undetected and has lifted my address book or if a bot has simply found that particularly address online.

Insomniac
12-03-08, 12:02 AM
I get spam from myself so I wonder if something is undetected and has lifted my address book or if a bot has simply found that particularly address online.

I assume you were getting SPAM before. They're using a new trick now. Using the recipient's address as the sender's address to try and get past SPAM blockers/filters.

Robstar
12-03-08, 02:08 AM
Avast & Spybot here... :thumbup:

JLMannin
12-03-08, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I use Spybot as well. I used to really like Adaware, but since they came out with the 2008 version (7.x, I think), it is really buggy and just does not work. I like using two different Adware scanning programs, because each will find a few things the other did not.

Methanolandbrats
12-03-08, 10:24 AM
I bought Spysweeper with Antivirus when one of my daughters computers was messed up and it was amazing the amount of browser hijackers, trojans and other crap Spysweeper cleaned up. Spybot, Adaware and the free stuff let it all through...just a possible heads up. AVG is by far the best of the free options.

TravelGal
12-03-08, 02:09 PM
I assume you were getting SPAM before. They're using a new trick now. Using the recipient's address as the sender's address to try and get past SPAM blockers/filters.

D'oh. Of course. Never thought of that. Tgal hits self upside the head.

I bought Spysweeper with Antivirus when one of my daughters computers was messed up and it was amazing the amount of browser hijackers, trojans and other crap Spysweeper cleaned up. Spybot, Adaware and the free stuff let it all through...just a possible heads up. AVG is by far the best of the free options.

Interesting as I used to use Spysweeper and so few people here used it that I eventually dropped it. Hmmmm.