PDA

View Full Version : Homestead being revised for 3-abreast laps.

pchall
05-25-03, 09:12 AM
I caught an interesting little segment on Fox Radio's Race Day in which the rebuilding of Homestead was being promoted.

The big selling point was that Goodyear did computer simulations to help with the redesign that were aimed at allowing entire laps to be run three-abreast. According to the track spokesman, the banking is being varied up the turns to achieve this.

It all sounds like fabricated and bogus to me.

:shakehead

more details here (http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/HomesteadMiamiSpeedway/headlines.cfm?HeadlineStoryID=11232&TeaserMode=False&TemplateDisplayMode=2)

devilmaster
05-25-03, 09:18 AM
The fans spoke and Homestead-Miami Speedway listened.

Horses***.

Let's be honest here. NASCAR spoke. Ever since the cabs started racing there, they've been trying to figure out a way to get the 'great side by side action' that NASCAR wants.

Hell, Homestead has had about the same amount of re-configurations as Tony George had re-visions. :rolleyes:

Steve

pchall
05-25-03, 10:35 AM
One of the most interesting things is that so many NASCAR drivers bitch and moan about that track. It's almost as if they don't want to have to work hard and actually race.

JoeBob
05-25-03, 11:00 AM
Lots of details here: http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/

I love the headline: You Wanted Banking...You Got It!

:rolleyes:

WickerBill
05-25-03, 11:02 AM
EXACTLY. The tracks that actually require braking and shifting are the ones where talent overcomes an inferior car most often. In NASCAR, this is flat ovals and the two road courses.

Treeface
05-26-03, 12:13 AM
ISC is throwing good money after bad. Plenty of NASCAR fans show up at low banked tracks like Pocono and Indy. Why not chain the gates and move the date to KC or Fontana?

devilmaster
05-26-03, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Treeface
ISC is throwing good money after bad. Plenty of NASCAR fans show up at low banked tracks like Pocono and Indy. Why not chain the gates and move the date to KC or Fontana?

didn't they get the place for pure profit as the track was built with Hurricane disaster money?

I sorta recall that story when CART first went there. That doesn't dismiss your point, tree. Just trying to remember one part of the story.

Steve

Treeface
05-26-03, 11:38 PM
Wayne Huizenga and Ralph Sanchez were in the group who got the post Hurricane Andrew handouts to build the track. That group sold it to Penkse who got big money from ISC.