PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Traveling Questions

Insomniac
11-22-08, 11:01 AM
Given the poor global economy, are there any destinations (warm weather) that are offering cheaper airfare for Christmas/New Years? I thought maybe places are trying to do all they can to get tourists by subsidizing air travel. Or maybe nice places that aren't heavily traveled (I have a whole lot or airline miles and hotel points).

trish
11-22-08, 11:52 AM
Do you have to use a specific airline or hotel?

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-08, 01:49 PM
Hmm. Warm and cheap...
How do you feel about a little civil unrest?

Insomniac
11-22-08, 03:37 PM
Do you have to use a specific airline or hotel?

Marriott for sure. I have miles on NWA and AA, but I'll buy the ticket if it's reasonable and no award travel is available. I find $3,000 to go to India a bit much. :D

trish
11-22-08, 03:45 PM
Well, you can go to the airline websites and check for fare sales. Then check to see if their are any Marriott's at your possible destination and see if they have any discounted rooms.

Otherwise check travelocity, onetravel and other sites for deals.

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-08, 07:54 PM
I find $3,000 to go to India a bit much. :D

You'd have to pay me a lot more than that to go back there!:laugh:

TravelGal
11-26-08, 02:09 PM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Been busy so I haven't been on the boards.

General rule: Hawaii and the Caribbean are dealing. Mexico and Central America not quite so much, yet.

The problem is that the airlines have been screaming bankruptcy for so long that they are not making the low ball deals across the board that you might like. In general the deals are the hotels taking a few hundred $$$ of the *package* price. After all, the airlines can sit the aircraft or sell them to third world countries. The hotels have the struture to maintain to matter what (although they slither over to timeshares but that's another story).

Nevertheless, deals are out there. There are some great deals on cruises for the holidays. SuperClubs, Sandals, and Club Med have all come through with deals. That does not include the air, of course, but if the ground/sea portion is cheap enough, it might "average out" to save significant money.

Travel trend of 2009: Luxury will be cheaper. If there is something you always wanted to do but didn't, do it in 2009 because you may never see a price that low again. That is assuming, of course, that you have the dough to pay even the reduced price. :\

edit: If you have Marriott points, you could book the lowest category room in a low ball package and call the resort to see if you could use your points to upgrade to a better (confirmed!) room. It's what I advise my clients to do. Works most of the time. If it doesn't work, we change the reservation.

Insomniac
12-01-08, 05:56 PM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Been busy so I haven't been on the boards.

General rule: Hawaii and the Caribbean are dealing. Mexico and Central America not quite so much, yet.

The problem is that the airlines have been screaming bankruptcy for so long that they are not making the low ball deals across the board that you might like. In general the deals are the hotels taking a few hundred $$$ of the *package* price. After all, the airlines can sit the aircraft or sell them to third world countries. The hotels have the struture to maintain to matter what (although they slither over to timeshares but that's another story).

Nevertheless, deals are out there. There are some great deals on cruises for the holidays. SuperClubs, Sandals, and Club Med have all come through with deals. That does not include the air, of course, but if the ground/sea portion is cheap enough, it might "average out" to save significant money.

Travel trend of 2009: Luxury will be cheaper. If there is something you always wanted to do but didn't, do it in 2009 because you may never see a price that low again. That is assuming, of course, that you have the dough to pay even the reduced price. :\

edit: If you have Marriott points, you could book the lowest category room in a low ball package and call the resort to see if you could use your points to upgrade to a better (confirmed!) room. It's what I advise my clients to do. Works most of the time. If it doesn't work, we change the reservation.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm thinking about going to Alaska next summer. Looks like it may be the right time to for a more luxurious cruise and maybe add a tour of Alaska as well.

(I ended up booking for SF/Napa, but I can cancel/change it.)

Gnam
12-10-08, 09:22 PM
Given the poor global economy, are there any destinations (warm weather) that are offering cheaper airfare for Christmas/New Years? I thought maybe places are trying to do all they can to get tourists by subsidizing air travel. Or maybe nice places that aren't heavily traveled (I have a whole lot or airline miles and hotel points).

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... ;)

Rundown of possible warm holiday destinations:
1. India = Beware hindu zionists packing Google Earth.
2. Thailand = Airport schedule iffy due to armed blockade.
3. Greece = Don't forget to pack your gas mask and "F*** the Police" t-shirt.

Methanolandbrats
12-10-08, 09:28 PM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... ;)

Rundown of possible warm holiday destinations:
1. India = Beware hindu zionists packing Google Earth.
2. Thailand = Airport schedule iffy due to armed blockade.
3. Greece = Don't forget to pack your gas mask and "F*** the Police" t-shirt. Don't leave out the nice people you meet at Florida rest stops. :gomer:

Cam
12-11-08, 07:54 AM
Past few weeks I thought we had become the Seattle of the southern hemi.

Current forecast looks a bit better tho. 28C and more this weekend and sunny. Not blazing hot but I will take it. :thumbup:

Elmo T
12-11-08, 09:51 AM
Travel related from Dumb Little Man:

10 Awesome Websites To Check Before You Travel This Holiday Season (http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/12/10-awesome-websites-to-check-before-you.html)

TravelGal
12-12-08, 02:01 AM
Travel related from Dumb Little Man:

10 Awesome Websites To Check Before You Travel This Holiday Season (http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/12/10-awesome-websites-to-check-before-you.html)

I had great hopes for the taxi site because I'm often looking for that information for clients. I was impressed after it nailed airport to CBD in Sydney but when it couldn't recognize either LAX or "airport" in Los Angeles or find the Staples Center even though it recognized the name, I gave up.

Elmo T
12-12-08, 07:16 AM
it couldn't recognize either LAX or "airport" in Los Angeles or find the Staples Center even though it recognized the name, I gave up.

I thought some of the comments on sleeping in airports were interesting. :saywhat:

I tried the taxi site and both LAX and Staples Center appeared in drop down boxes for LA and the fare was listed at $63.38.

TravelGal
12-14-08, 02:18 AM
I thought some of the comments on sleeping in airports were interesting. :saywhat:

I tried the taxi site and both LAX and Staples Center appeared in drop down boxes for LA and the fare was listed at $63.38.

Ya, the sleeping in airports site is hoot.

Weird that they had drop down menus where you could select but if you typed it in (even though it completed the entry for you), it didn't recognize it enough to give a price. BTW, I would think that LA ride would be about that price. Certainly not less. So they score again on accuracy.

Thinking of those sites, I know a lot of you guys like Seat Guru but there are some errors, particularly on the international aircraft. Always best to get a res agent that knows where the galleys really are and where those coveted 2 seats in a row of 3 are (at the back but SO much more room).