PDA

View Full Version : Honda to Grand Am

NismoZ
11-20-08, 10:26 AM
Hearing Honda power has been Ok'd for DPs. Paving the way for an IRL exodus? Can AGR be far behind? Ahhh, the sight of Danica and Milkers going four abreast on the high banks at Daytona. Pure awesomeness!:gomer:

Don Quixote
11-20-08, 11:06 AM
When Milkers is going 4 wide at Daytona, it is because three cars are passing her at the same time. :D

extramundane
11-20-08, 11:27 AM
I'm fairly certain this is not in any way factory related. It's simply a couple of dudes acting on their own.

Andrew Longman
11-20-08, 11:29 AM
What sort of factory support/involvement is typical in GA?

My impression is that it is minimal.

Honda is stepping up large in ALMS so I don't see this as much more than a way got them to sell/lease more HPD engines to teams. No?

Could be wrong though. AGR didn't show up that well in ALMS and didn't earn Honda's favor to move up. Maybe they think they'll do better with less competition in GA

NismoZ
11-20-08, 12:11 PM
Now, be careful. My guess is it's less expensive in DPs but the teams would be footing more of the total bill. I'd be hesitant to say "less competition." A whole different level OF perhaps, but...whatever. Maybe Toyota will want to get involved as well? I think they'd like a shot at winning the R24 AND the 500? Just change out the Lexus names on the covers and drop some more $$. I don't know what Ford and Pontiac spend or offer there but my suspicion is it'll be a lot less soon.

Methanolandbrats
11-20-08, 12:17 PM
Hearing Honda power has been Ok'd for DPs. Paving the way for an IRL exodus? Can AGR be far behind? Ahhh, the sight of Danica and Milkers going four abreast on the high banks at Daytona. Pure awesomeness!:gomer: -------> colorful smudges on the wall requiring a lot of paintwork by track maintence guys. This is a big ruh oh for Tony since Honda has dominated that series for a couple years and they are clearly looking for another World Class Racing Challenge to dominate :gomer:

extramundane
11-20-08, 12:35 PM
What sort of factory support/involvement is typical in GA?

My impression is that it is minimal.

GM & Porsche both offered some degree of support to some teams, especially in terms of loaning out factory drivers.

Honda is stepping up large in ALMS so I don't see this as much more than a way got them to sell/lease more HPD engines to teams. No?

I don't believe HPD is involved in this at all. I can't find the article I read last night, but it seems to be one team owner working with Comptech to get this engine approved, not Honda. I think anyone expecting this to impact either their IRL or ALMS activity is reaching just a bit.

High Sided
11-20-08, 03:17 PM
I don't believe HPD is involved in this at all. I can't find the article I read last night, but it seems to be one team owner working with Comptech to get this engine approved, not Honda.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=314574

Chaos
11-20-08, 03:18 PM
I'm fairly certain this is not in any way factory related. It's simply a couple of dudes acting on their own.

:thumbup:

G.
11-20-08, 04:08 PM
Danica and Milkers going two and a half abreast on the high banks at Daytona.

Fixxered.

NismoZ
11-20-08, 04:09 PM
Sure, and Jim Hall was working on HIS own down at Rattlesnake.;) Where there's smoke...?

oddlycalm
11-20-08, 04:30 PM
Honda must be looking to trickle down some of their winning F1 technology...:gomer:

oc