PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Dilemma

dcracer
11-18-08, 05:34 PM
I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a HDTV to replace my current TV. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. I have decided on a 42 inch screen and 1080p, other than that I have no idea what to look for. I would love some input as to what brand, lcd, plasma, features etc. to look for, without totally breaking the bank in the process. It will mainly be used for sports(auto racing and hockey), movies and general TV viewing.

dando
11-18-08, 05:39 PM
LCD is the way to go, IMO. Checkout reviews on CNet as a starting point. Sammy has some good models, and the Vizio models I'm seen @ Sam's look pretty good as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=leftColumnArea.0

-Kevin

KLang
11-18-08, 05:51 PM
I think plasma has the better picture but the reflections off the screen are a deal-breaker for me.

I've got both Sony and Sharp LCD's and I'm happy with both.

Don Quixote
11-18-08, 05:54 PM
I have a 46 sony LCD, and I couldn't be happier. Try Costco, or wait a little for the Christmas deals to start, retailers are deperate this year.

G.
11-18-08, 06:03 PM
Get lots of input connections. Several HDMI (3), computer monitor, coax/antenna, component video, septic, optical, etc.

OK, I made the septic up, but you get the idea. Know WHAT you are going to hook up to it, now and in the future, and get that many correct inputs on the TV.

Some others could help with this.

Sharp 46" LCD works for me.

oddlycalm
11-18-08, 06:42 PM
Plasma - Pioneer and Panasonic have the best images in the business but you need a low light room and they radiate a serious amount of heat.

LCD - Brighter than plasma but the black levels aren't as deep (unless you spring for LED backlighting) and you can get a bit of motion artifact. Sony, Samsung and Sharp are all good.

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong. All of the LCD panels regardless of brand are made in the same two plants in China. Each company has three quality levels which are differentiated by features and backlighting. The biggest reason they look different in the store is that they all come with awful calibration. They crank the brightness and blues so they pop in the store. Most have a setting that is close to 6500 K, which is what the color temp should be.

There are some great deals to be had. We just added a Samsung set with LED backlighting when they were doing the old model blowout for the same money as a Vizio from Costco would have cost. We saw Sony XBR4's selling the same price. Shop around and find a seller that is hungry.

oc

Sean Malone
11-18-08, 09:10 PM
My worthless 2 cents;

Basically there are two types of consumers for HDTV's, the video/audiophile and those who aren't. If you aren't, get the TV that fits your budget, period. Forget about technology, ports etc, if the picture looks good to you and you like the price I'm sure you will love your new HD experience.