PDA

View Full Version : Montreal?

Andrew Longman
11-18-08, 11:42 AM
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=967472

"So we'll answer the phone if you call..."

What reeks through is a total disregard and strategic vision for the series. So long as we have 33 cars in May we don't really care what happens to the teams the rest of the year.

Is this a market you want to be in or not? Do you want three races in Canada or not? What creates the most value for your teams and sponsors? Don't teach too much Business at Indiana State I guess.

Is this thing dead or what?

Sean Malone
11-18-08, 12:04 PM
The IRL was stillborn. I doubt they'll make it through the next 2 years in this economy.

Vision 5.2 - State Fair National Tour 2010.

pchall
11-18-08, 01:08 PM

I doubt that the IRL could compete with the Figure 8 school bus racing and the Demolition Derby.

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-08, 01:20 PM
Montreal would be better off doing a 12 hour ALMS race.

73B
11-18-08, 08:54 PM
Is this a market you want to be in or not? Do you want three races in Canada or not? What creates the most value for your teams and sponsors?

Andrew, you are right. It sure would be a great market for the IRL. Big city at last! Would fit nicely between Texas Motor Speedway and Iowa in June.

Not being in America is not ideal, but then they'll pick up the licensing fee from Montreal, they'll pick up the broadcast revenue from Versus and maybe a Canadian Television network. Some cars may be able to pick up local sponsorship for the race, some cars may have international brands that would benefit from the international exposure. Really it is a no lose situation for the IRL.

Now the bad news... Quebec is very environmentally conscious (Win ALMS), They love... LOVE Ferrari (Win ALMS), they are very knowledgeable race fans and follow both F1 and sports cars (win ALMS) and they are passionate about all things French...as in the Greatest Motor Race on Earth...LeMans (Win ALMS).

June would be tight though for ALMS. Might have to wait til July, after LeMans... when Jacque could bring the trophy home in his Peugeot. ;-)

The IRL better stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and start working to get a date before ALMS snags it.

TravelGal
11-18-08, 09:02 PM
The IRL was stillborn. I doubt they'll make it through the next 2 years in this economy.

Spot on as usual SM.

Gnam
11-19-08, 02:28 PM
Montreal would be better off doing a 12 hour ALMS race.
Oh hells yeah! :thumbup: