PDA

View Full Version : Eccletard wants medals instead of points

ilferrari
11-18-08, 11:21 AM
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone wants the championship to be won by the driver who gets the most gold medals during the season.

"The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done," Ecclestone told The Times newspaper.

"Everybody is happy with the idea, they are all very supportive," he told Reuters. "I'm absolutely 100 percent sure it's the right way to go, it'll get them (the drivers) overtaking."

Can F1's leaders get any worse? :shakehead

Easy
11-18-08, 11:40 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/racing/02/19/indycar.resolution/george_story.jpg

Methanolandbrats
11-18-08, 12:25 PM
I know if I was an F1 driver I'd try a lot harder if I could win a medal :saywhat:

Sean Malone
11-18-08, 12:32 PM
They should make it a triathlon; All drivers start in a pool and swim to the shore, then they jump on unicycles and race to their cars. Each race would have different events.
:gomer:

pchall
11-18-08, 01:02 PM
"Everybody is happy with the idea, they are all very supportive," he told Reuters. "I'm absolutely 100 percent sure it's the right way to go, it'll get them (the drivers) overtaking."

F1 becomes kindergarten and everyone gets a gold star on his lap chart for an on track pass.:tony:

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-08, 01:25 PM
But what about the Cage Match? I didn't see anything about the Cage Match. Lousy editing.

I weep for motor racing.

extramundane
11-18-08, 01:40 PM
Hey Bernie, the mock-up of the gold medal is ready. Can you try it on real quick?

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1724/noosehc4.jpg

Insomniac
11-18-08, 02:05 PM

You have to combine that with engine development. Kablamo.

Insomniac
11-18-08, 02:06 PM
Of course he ignores that everyone will be doing drive through penalties since there's no such thing as a racing incident in F1.

Methanolandbrats
11-18-08, 02:26 PM
Since money is tight, would'nt it be easier to just give the title to the guy with the most wins instead of bothering with producing all those medals?

All this ******** is surreal. Following two great seasons they are going to screw up the cars, screw up more tracks, introduce an expensive "green" technology and possibly screw up the points system all in the name of "overtaking". **** overtaking. It's supposed to be very hard to overtake. I remember F1 passes from 10 to 20 years ago because they were amazing. If I want to watch endless overtaking I'll watch the cabs have a plate race.

Al Czervik
11-18-08, 02:28 PM

I fear the answer is 'yes', and I shudder to think what's next!

dando
11-18-08, 02:33 PM
You just can't make this stuff up. :shakehead :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Chaos
11-18-08, 03:23 PM
I don't think it is as asinine as it sounds.

1. They already give out trophies at races. I see nothing wrong with giving medals.

2. The winner of the championship is decided on who wins the most races. I see nothing wrong with that either.

Sean Malone
11-18-08, 03:40 PM
I don't think it is as asinine as it sounds.

1. They already give out trophies at races. I see nothing wrong with giving medals.

2. The winner of the championship is decided on who wins the most races. I see nothing wrong with that either.

I vote for ribbons. :)

dando
11-18-08, 03:42 PM

http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/blue-ribbon.gif

:D

-Kevin

Chaos
11-18-08, 05:13 PM

Hey, if they pay me the way they pay F1 drivers, I'll take ribbons too.

FCYTravis
11-18-08, 05:47 PM
So, instead of rewarding a balanced mixture of consistency and audacity, as points-championship racing has since the beginning of motorsports... everyone's going to crash in Turn 1 on the first lap because, in the immortal words of Ricky Bobby, "If you're not first, you're last!"

This is the most asinine idea I have ever heard.

Insomniac
11-18-08, 06:05 PM
It's the equivalent of the following points system (for a 17 race season):

1st = 307 points
2nd = 18 points
3rd = 1 point

NismoZ
11-18-08, 06:12 PM
So Hamilton can win the 1st 3 races then blow up or wreck 15 times and he's the champ... if nobody else wins more than 2... Even if they finish 2nd the next 16 times? Helluva system. Obviously a bunch could end up with the same number of medals so silvers and bronze would have to be taken into account for final placings. My guess is a lot more guys will tie for last! Dang, those top 4s ain't gonna mean nuthin' no more!

Insomniac
11-18-08, 11:15 PM
So Hamilton can win the 1st 3 races then blow up or wreck 15 times and he's the champ... if nobody else wins more than 2... Even if they finish 2nd the next 16 times? Helluva system. Obviously a bunch could end up with the same number of medals so silvers and bronze would have to be taken into account for final placings. My guess is a lot more guys will tie for last! Dang, those top 4s ain't gonna mean nuthin' no more!

Also, theoretically, the championship could be over after 9 races.

Don Quixote
11-18-08, 11:58 PM
Also, theoretically, the championship could be over after 9 races. Which would make it easier to swing to the red cars with fewer races to fix.

Methanolandbrats
11-18-08, 11:59 PM
Ribbons and gift certificates for Nazi hookers :thumbup:

chop456
11-19-08, 04:18 AM
http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/original/blue-ribbon.gif

:D

-Kevin

There's one for Force India, Red Bull, Honda, Williams and Toyota, too.

http://trophycaseinc.com/client/Stock_Ribbons/PARTICIPANT1.jpg

pchall
11-19-08, 08:45 AM
There's one for Force India, Red Bull, Honda, Williams and Toyota, too.

Ouch! :rofl:

devilmaster
11-19-08, 09:37 AM
Ouch! :rofl:

probably from choppy's own personal collection...

;)

chop456
11-19-08, 09:48 AM
probably from choppy's own personal collection...

;)

Coincidentally, it's the same one the Lions will get this year. :p

pchall
11-19-08, 10:12 AM
Coindidentally, it's the same one the Lions will get this year. :p

I'd like to see the Lions square off against the Bengals on New Year's Day in the ABC Supply Futility Bowl. :)

ilferrari
11-26-08, 07:00 AM
Ecclestone: Medal system next year (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72254)

"It's going to happen," said Ecclestone. "All the teams are happy. The whole reason for this was that I was fed up with people talking about no overtaking. The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake.

Why not just tweak the existing points system to 10-7-6..., or 12-8-6... ?

opinionated ow
11-26-08, 07:11 AM
Ecclestone: Medal system next year (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72254)

Bernie is an absolute genital sucking ****ing ****. Why just not use the internationally used Formula 3 points system-20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1?

oddlycalm
11-26-08, 03:20 PM
Just tweaking the point system would make too much sense and rob Bernie a chance to trot out his cranky old man act yet again...:shakehead

oc

Gnam
11-26-08, 04:14 PM
BE probably owns a controlling interest in a ribbon factory.

Also, don't the points determine how they spilt up the money at the end of the season?

Insomniac
11-26-08, 06:23 PM

I can see the merits of both systems. Personally, I liked 10-6-4-3-2-1. They changed it because Schumacher was still wrapping up the championship before the last couple of races. Reactionary changes usually don't help much. There should be an emphasis on winning/getting points, but when a guy gets lucky once during the season and ends up 6th in the championship, that's a bit much.

trish
11-27-08, 04:09 PM
I think Bernie might be mentally ill. :\

Methanolandbrats
11-27-08, 06:00 PM
I think Bernie might be mentally ill. :\ Well then, it's a damn good thing Max is of sound mind :gomer:

RHR_Fan
11-27-08, 07:29 PM
I think Bernie might be mentally ill. :\

I think it's been officially confirmed.

miatanut
11-28-08, 04:41 PM
Since money is tight, would'nt it be easier to just give the title to the guy with the most wins instead of bothering with producing all those medals?

All this ******** is surreal. Following two great seasons they are going to screw up the cars, screw up more tracks, introduce an expensive "green" technology and possibly screw up the points system all in the name of "overtaking". **** overtaking. It's supposed to be very hard to overtake. I remember F1 passes from 10 to 20 years ago because they were amazing. If I want to watch endless overtaking I'll watch the cabs have a plate race.

I thought last season was the best in a couple decades or more, but I don't see how reducing the disadvantage of the following car and bringing a new technology into F1 can hurt. We are likely to see some dominant teams struggling for a while and maybe some underdogs showing well.

As for Bernie's proposal, :thumdown:

mueber
11-28-08, 05:36 PM
I think it's a good idea. Points championships encourage cruising, and that gyps the fans. If you prefer points to medals, award one point for first.