PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disc/Sciatic Nerve

KaBoom21
11-17-08, 04:00 PM
I screwed up.

Took a second part-time job installing flat-screen TVs on a short-term basis. Figured I'd earn a little extra dough. Didn't know this included removing the large tube TVs as well (this was at a hotel). All was going well until day 4 and I lifted one of the TVs wrong and immediately knew something was wrong.

Saw the doctor and he was only able to do an xray (can't afford the MRI right now) but based on the symptoms, he figures it's a herniated disc that is pinching the sciatic nerve.

It's four weeks later and the pain has gone away but the numbness in my leg is really bothering me. I used to run 4-6 miles a day and right now I can't even imaging running 10 yards without falling on my face. Same with going down stairs. The leg just doesn't want to move like it used to.

I've been doing all the exercises for two weeks now and everything I read mentions how this should alleviate the pain. I don't have any pain, I just want the numbness to go away.

Anyone have any experience w/ this? Did the numbess go away w/out surgery

meadors
11-17-08, 04:11 PM
Saw the doctor and he was only able to do an xray (can't afford the MRI right now)

Who you working for? Sounds like it should be workers comp. Unless you are working for yourself. Never assume that no help is available. Hate to sound like a contingency lawyer, but you gotta get on your feet and that stuff hurts!

Enough of the liberal legal stuff.

I have had minor low back problems including sciatica. Seems to be caused by compression of the discs more than anything. For me pinning it on my employer is iffy, too many other factors.

In my experience it may get better. My lower back pain is nil currently, but I have lingering numbness in my right foot that has never gone away. We are talking 15 -20 years. It's not bad, but I actually have times when my foot is almost completely numb. Mostly it is just a small part of my foot, nut it affects my gait a little.

I say exercise as much as possible. Build up your abs, use the hot tub as much as you can to relax the entire low back. I had times when I could not stand up straight, I thought my spine would break if I stood up. It was excruciating. But I have gotten over the worst through a lot of excercise and self therapy (hot tub).

Chiropractic can help but try to get a good one and make sure he can see any films you have. They have done me some good.

oddlycalm
11-17-08, 04:41 PM
Financial reality can trump need but not fixing a serious back problem could cause a life long issues. I realize not all employment is formal, but do what you can to not become a victim. You need an MRI and corrective treatment.

oc

Elmo T
11-17-08, 04:48 PM
Anyone have any experience w/ this? Did the numbess go away w/out surgery

In early 1990's, I had some back pain and discovered I blew L4/L5 and L5/S1. I had the MRI's and EEG's. I went for PT and I felt progressively better up to a point where I seemed to stop. I consulted with a surgeon who was ready to cut me open. :irked: He told me he didn't have a crystal ball and couldn't give me any idea on the postive gains. The downside was, of course, killing me on the operating table. He actually said this.

I went for a second opinion. New doc says most back surgery is elective. If it affects the lifestyle you want to lead, then you should consider surgery.

I made some positive changes in my life (dumped a few bad relationships gained the great one I am in now) and I have been generally symptom free since. I get the occasional ache or pain, but nothing limiting.

For me, it did go away on its own.

Doc said a bad back is like a heart condition - you need to treat it everyday. Exercise the abs. I don't do it nearly as much as I should, but it helps.

I am the last person to buy into alternative medicine, but at the time, my Dad gave me Dr. Sarno's book on back pain. It may be all witchcraft, but for me, I do think much of the back pain was in my head. Give it a look.

KaBoom21
11-17-08, 04:53 PM
Who you working for? Sounds like it should be workers comp. Unless you are working for yourself. Never assume that no help is available. Hate to sound like a contingency lawyer, but you gotta get on your feet and that stuff hurts!

Well, I really wasn't an employee - guy was just paying me cash money everyday.

In my experience it may get better. My lower back pain is nil currently, but I have lingering numbness in my right foot that has never gone away. We are talking 15 -20 years. It's not bad, but I actually have times when my foot is almost completely numb. Mostly it is just a small part of my foot, nut it affects my gait a little.

I say exercise as much as possible. Build up your abs, use the hot tub as much as you can to relax the entire low back. I had times when I could not stand up straight, I thought my spine would break if I stood up. It was excruciating. But I have gotten over the worst through a lot of excercise and self therapy (hot tub).

Chiropractic can help but try to get a good one and make sure he can see any films you have. They have done me some good.

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I love to run and the thought of not being able to do that has me crushed. Nothing else gives me that runners high.

Plus, I play the drums and my foot speed was getting good. So much for being John Bonham, it's back to Phil Rudd for me.

I've been using the eliptical machine and the weight machines at the gym for the last two weeks w/ zero problems. We'll see.