PDA

View Full Version : The OC Talent Spotter Thread

Michaelhatesfans
11-16-08, 04:15 AM
(well hell, we have to do something with the off season)

Which up and coming talent did you notice during a support race and think, "That guy's got some serious talent..." Which ones did you get right? Which ones did you get wrong? And I'm not looking for your judgement to come from watching Ayrton at Monaco in '84, I'm thinking more like you get bonus points if you raved about Gilles after you saw him in a snowmobile race.:cool::thumbup:

For me it was watching Moore in a Lights race at Portland when he seemed to be about 12 years old a car sponsored by Viper. A couple of his crew members had run up to sit behind us just as the race started. Watching this kid drive to an impressive podium spot was one thing, listening to the genuine affection and enthusiasm that his crew had for him was quite another. With that raw speed and the ability to get a team behind him, I decided to follow his progress through the ranks.

I got it wrong (kind of) with Luyendyke. When he was driving for Simon, I saw him running pretty well, and then when he damn near won at Portland in the Provimi car, I really thought that all he needed was a solid race engineer. Then he spent a season with Mo Nunn, and I realized that maybe the set up problems were actually Arie's...:gomer: I mean, I still liked to see him do well, but I realized he was always going to be inconsistent.

opinionated ow
11-16-08, 06:22 AM
I can't quite play by those rules on account of not being around long enough. But I'm going to be bold and say if any of these drivers can get some decent funding behind them, they will be stars....

*Samantha Reid (Australia)
*Ben Clucas (UK)
*Tim Macrow (Australia)
*Natacha Gachnang (Switzerland)

I think it is safe to say Frankie Muniz won't make it.

And I can say I was behind Sebastien Vettel and Scott Speed-both of whom are showing significant class where they are.

miatanut
11-16-08, 04:17 PM
My experiences at Portland (and Vancouver) have brought to my attention a lot of drivers who should have gone far, but something happened along the way.

AJ Allmendinger was absolutely dominant in Barber Dodge and Atlantic and I figured he would be a star, then he was a big nothing for 3 1/2 years. Then for half a season, we saw who I thought he was going to be, then...

Satanica showed well in Barber Dodge in Vancouver and then the next year in Atlantic I saw her start Atlantic race II from pole, get punted in the Festival Curves, rejoin at the back and then spend the remainder of the race picking off most of the field ON THE TRACK. Then, well...

Jovy Marcelo was dominant in Atlantic at Portland. Seeing him flick through the old 7/8 (now 9/10) was breath taking. Then in his rookie attempt at Indy, we lost him.

Brian Herta was another who showed more confidence and speed than his competition in turns 7/8/9 and was completely dominant in Indy Lights. Got to CART, and he was total commitment, but not much results.

I watched local (relatively) boy Parker Johnstone stomp the field in the Comptch Acura Camel Lights a couple years running and looked forward to them both moving up to CART, where their results showed occasional light, but were mostly mid-field.

I'm lousy at remembering names and not committed enough to write them down to where I can say I saw an inspired drive in Star Mazda, FF2000 or Spec. Miata and knew somebody was going to be a great driver from way back then.

pchall
11-16-08, 05:23 PM
I watched local (relatively) boy Parker Johnstone stomp the field in the Comptch Acura Camel Lights a couple years running and looked forward to them both moving up to CART, where their results showed occasional light, but were mostly mid-field.

Parker J. was very good. But I don't blame his for quitting after that piece of A-arm penetrated his helmet at MIS.

NismoZ
11-16-08, 07:30 PM
Neat thread. At 1st I thought you meant now, or recently and I immediately thought of guys like Matos, Summerton, JR Hildebrand, Glock and Montagny. The 1st time I saw each of those guys then followed up on their exploits I figured the only thing that could stop them was lack of money. Happens all the time but sometimes talent wins out. Further back, seeing Little Al at RA in the "new" Can Am at age 19 was VERY eye opening. Not the result but just watching him drive and handle that track. Dead lock on future success. Wonderful to see. Same with Brian Till and Jimmy Vasser at RA. Didn't really know them at all but what a huge impression they made on me when they first raced champcars there. I still wish Till had somehow gotten a better ride because I really think he could have done what Jimmy did. Could be wrong, but...? I suppose most of you will hate this but seeing Michael Andretti and Roberto Moreno in the F-Mondial (Atlantic) race at RA was jaw dropping. They were just so much better than the others you KNEW they were going places, especially Michael because he was so much younger, an absolute "can't miss." (I was hopeful at first, but I don't have that same feeling at all for Marco.) SO many guys I wish had been able to find a place in CART/ChampCar but really didn't or couldn't, like Glock and Montagny and Doornbos, names we'd make fun of at 1st but who have done very well since. Always more drivers with a lot of talent than there are teams good enough to take them where they probably should be. Too many really fine Atlantic drivers over the years to ignor like Bobby Rahal, Sullivan, Keke Rosberg (scared the H out of me!..he was one of those guys about whom my dad would say "If he lives he'll be a great one!") And WAY back I saw Bobby Marshman and couldn't imagine him NOT winning Indy someday. Oh well. Thanx for the flashbacks!

nrc
11-16-08, 08:19 PM
Scott Pruett in TransAm and GTO. I still think that he could have done better without the Truesports experiment and his big accident.

Later, Robby Gordon in TransAm. I saw he had big talent but also figured that he had a good chance of squandering it with is big fat empty head.

Almendinger - saw him in Barber Dodge and thought he could be the next Michael Andretti. I'm don't agree with mn on "big nothing," I think he showed all the potential and you could see exactly what he needed, which was a stable , competitive team that could figure out his car setups. Unfortunately, he did turn out to be the next Michael Andretti, but not in a good way. :irked:

I was way wrong on Towsend Bell. I thought Memo and Alex Barron would have shown better.

swift
11-16-08, 10:11 PM
Franck Perera at Mt. Tremblant '07. That kid knows what fast is. :thumbup:

I didn't really see how he got the win in Toronto (I went inside when it started pouring). The next time I saw him was at Long Beach '08, where he ran most of the race in 3rd place, outpacing a squad of more-experienced drivers.

I'd like to see if he lives up to my expectations 2-3 years down the road in open-wheel racing.

meadors
11-16-08, 11:29 PM
Parker J. was very good. But I don't blame his for quitting after that piece of A-arm penetrated his helmet at MIS.

I thought of Parker as one of the smartest guys out there. One of the nicest too. I'm glad he made it through that one scare, you could tell he was pretty shook up.

cameraman
11-17-08, 01:19 AM
Oh well. Thanx for the flashbacks!

You seem to have repressed the name Ho Pin Tung:p

chop456
11-17-08, 02:31 AM
Juan Pablo Montoya and Kenny Brack in Barber Saab.

Michaelhatesfans
11-17-08, 03:11 AM
Scott Pruett in TransAm and GTO.

I always pegged Dallenbach, Jr. for bigger and better things, as well. Not that he had a bad career, I just thought he had a few more wins and championships in him than he ended up with.

Mike Lawler
11-17-08, 11:24 AM
How could we ever forget Willie T Ribbs dancing on the rooftop of his Trans-am car?
Dunlop Star of Tomorrow Champion, Europe, 1977; named International Driver of the Year, Europe, 1977; Trans-Am Rookie of the Year, 1983; Interamerican Western Hemisphere Driving Champion, 1984; Motorsports Press Association All American Drivers Award, 1984-85; SCCA Trans-Am All Time Money Earner; twice named Norelco GTO Driver of the Year.

opinionated ow
11-17-08, 11:45 AM
And continuing in my vain...
*Brendon Hartley (New Zealand)
*Jaime Alguersuari (Spain)
*Nick Tandy (UK)
*Sergio Perez (Mexico).

I think they will all be pretty good...

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-08, 02:10 PM
How could we ever forget Willie T Ribbs dancing on the rooftop of his Trans-am car?
Dunlop Star of Tomorrow Champion, Europe, 1977; named International Driver of the Year, Europe, 1977; Trans-Am Rookie of the Year, 1983; Interamerican Western Hemisphere Driving Champion, 1984; Motorsports Press Association All American Drivers Award, 1984-85; SCCA Trans-Am All Time Money Earner; twice named Norelco GTO Driver of the Year.

You forgot a few other ways to describe Willy...:laugh:
The nausea begins at around 3:50. Safe for work, but not for lunch.:yuck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANR2uccxczs

eiregosod
11-18-08, 02:25 PM
I knew that Tomas Sheckter and Takuma Sato were destined for grateness at the Leinster trophy (won by Ayrton Senna DaSilva in 1982) at Mondello park in 1999.

:tony:

mapguy
11-18-08, 04:59 PM
Saw PT wipe up the Can-Am field as a 17 year old at Mosport.

Saw the late Greg Moore win an F1600 race at Mosport as a 16 year old.

Saw Claude Bourbonnais destroy a tough Atlantic field in 1993 that comprised of guys like Villeneuve, Carpentier, Empringham.

I thought all were destined for greatness. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Whatever happened to Bourbonnais anyway?

Chaos
11-18-08, 05:18 PM

If I remember correctly, there was a 3 driver shootout for the Players seat vacated by Greg Moore: Tagliani, Empringham, and Bourbonnais.

Tagliani got the seat, the other two disappeared into obscurity. They probably would have remained in lights had Players not pulled the plug in their junior teams.

Both Empringham and Bourbonnais were talented. For whatever reason (read: financial), they were not able to get to the big series.

cameraman
11-18-08, 07:43 PM

http://www.claude-bourbonnais.com/racer_en.html

Driver and Private Racing Instructor. Indy Car & Formula Atlantic Racing Coach. North American Ferrari Challenge Series Coach.

2004-2006
Atlantic driver coach, Formula BMW driver coach.

Trans Am, Trois-Rivieres, Rocket Sports, Jaguar XKR

Grand Am, Trois-Rivieres, Lola-Ford Bk2000

Grand Am, Watkins Glen, Ferrari 333

-Indianapolis 500

1996 - Indy Lights
- Nazareth: Qualified on pole, leading race when rocker arm broke
- Michigan: Qualified 2nd, leading race when rocker arm broke
- Detroit: Qualified 4th, finished 3rd
- Cleveland: Qualified 6th, finished 2nd
- Toronto: Qualified 6th, finished 2nd
- Vancouver: Qualified 7th, finished 1st
- Laguna Seca: Qualified 2nd, Finished 3rd
- Won the Wheelspin News Award as "Canada's Most Promising Road Racing Talent"

1995 - Indy Lights - partial season
- Phoenix Indy Lights spring training open test: fastest lap & lap record
- Phoenix: Qualified on pole with new track record, throttle broke while leading race
- Nazareth: fastest in practice, suffered neck injury in qualifying and was out for 4 months
- Loudon: 1st race after 4 months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. Qualified 7th, finished 2nd
- CART Indycar test at Phoenix (Firebird): Fastest laps 1994
- CART PPG Indycar Series - (limited effort in year-old car)
- Competed in 5 CART PPG Indycar races.

1993 - Players/Toyota Formula Atlantic Series
- Phoenix: Qualified 4th, finished 1st
- Long Beach: Qualified 4th, finished 1st.
- Milwaukee: Qualified 9th, finished 1st
- Montreal: Qualified on pole with new track record, DNS (CV joint broke on start line)
- Mosport: Qualified on pole with new track record, finished 1st
- Toronto: Qualified on pole with new track record, finished 1st
- Mid Ohio: Qualified 2nd, finished 2nd
- Loudon: Qualified 4th, finished 1st
- Vancouver: Qualified 2nd, finished 1st
- Nazareth: Qualified on pole with new track record, finished 1st
- Laguna Seca 1: Qualified 3rd, finished 2nd - Laguna Seca 2: Qualified 2nd, DNF (blown engine) Amongst the other competitors in the series was teammate Jacques Villeneuve. In the 7 races where both finished, Bourbonnais finished ahead of Villeneuve 5 times, Villeneuve finished ahead of Boubonnais twice.

opinionated ow
11-18-08, 08:06 PM
Trans Am, Trois-Rivieres, Rocket Sports, Jaguar XKR

No wonder he faded into obscurity.

TrueBrit
11-18-08, 09:16 PM
Stefan Johansson in F3 in the UK..same with Nelson Piquet...and Gil De Ferran...Thought Stevie Johnson would do better..wanted him to be the next Ronnie Peterson in the worst way...

Nelson Piquet triggered the biggest wreck I can remember in F-3 at the British GP support race back in 1978. The field had something like 30+ cars and they lined up staggered 3-wide..as they headed towards Paddock Hill Bend, Nelson tried to make it 4-wide....Not so much...cars somersaulting and flying all over the place...after the dust had settled Nelson sort of shrugged it off and trudged back to the pits to get in his spare...of course the rest of the field weren't as flush and the restart went more smoothly simply because they were fewer cars!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFbGmopMwY

JT265
11-18-08, 10:49 PM
If I remember correctly, there was a 3 driver shootout for the Players seat vacated by Greg Moore: Tagliani, Empringham, and Bourbonnais.

Tagliani got the seat, the other two disappeared into obscurity. They probably would have remained in lights had Players not pulled the plug in their junior teams.

Both Empringham and Bourbonnais were talented. For whatever reason (read: financial), they were not able to get to the big series.

Close. It was Tag, Emp, and Lee Bentham ( who ended up fastest in the Sebring test by a tenth or so), but Players wanted a French driver so Tag got the call. Empringham had done everything he needed to do in Atlantic and Lights and he was basically out of a driving job when the 'test' came up and Lee got screwed. And so it goes.

Oh, and having raced and watched Gilles on snow, I can say honestly that I knew he was crazy fast in anything, including old Econoline vans. :)

Michaelhatesfans
11-19-08, 02:05 AM
And so it goes.

Oh, and having raced and watched Gilles on snow, I can say honestly that I knew he was crazy fast in anything, including old Econoline vans. :)

Well done, sir! And a Vonnegut reference to boot!:thumbup:

Chaos
11-19-08, 10:29 AM
Close. It was Tag, Emp, and Lee Bentham ( who ended up fastest in the Sebring test by a tenth or so), but Players wanted a French driver so Tag got the call. Empringham had done everything he needed to do in Atlantic and Lights and he was basically out of a driving job when the 'test' came up and Lee got screwed. And so it goes.

Damn... I forgot about Bentham. I knew Bourbonnais didn't sound quite right.

I remember they wanting a french driver at the time, but the fact that Carpentier was already there made the Tagliani selection a bit mystifying.

That all said, that Players program groomed a lot of talent: CART, Lights, Atlantics, and even an F1 championship. That was the golden time in Canadian motorsports not likely to be equaled for some time.

Tony George
11-20-08, 01:29 AM
I always figured this guy would amount to something someday! :gomer::tony:

http://www.stevehardin.com/jpg/DH25.JPG

Michaelhatesfans
11-20-08, 03:26 AM
Pocket pool.