PDA

View Full Version : One less mouse in the world

cameraman
11-15-08, 06:31 PM
I'm cleaning up the firewood pile in the backyard and I turn around just as a sharp-shinned hawk drops out of the sky like a stone and grabs a mouse about six feet in front of me. Startled the hell out of me. Much worse for the mouse though...

trish
11-15-08, 06:47 PM
Too bad you didn't have a camera handy.

cameraman
11-15-08, 07:36 PM
No hope for a picture. Didn't see or hear him coming, just a gray flash right in front of me, he nailed the mouse and was gone almost as fast as he arrived. He is a local bird, he spends the winter time picking off sparrows, finches and starlings at the bird feeders (kind of redefines the concept of a bird feeder) and also grabs any mice that stick their heads up.

What we really need around here is an eagle to clean out all the stray cats:irked:

trish
11-15-08, 07:43 PM
Is it legal to hunt cats?

devilmaster
11-15-08, 08:22 PM
damn. and here i was hopin for a story about mickey, vicodin, and a bottle of everclear.... ;)

Methanolandbrats
11-15-08, 09:11 PM
No, and it's illegal to hunt rednecks too :(

anait
11-15-08, 09:56 PM
Yep, hawks have scared the crap out of me 100 ft away, the sound they make when they drop is amazing.

Although I'm a bit jumpy anyway...the first time a hummingbird buzzed me I dropped to the ground, it sounded like a gargantuan bumblebee. :D

cameraman
11-15-08, 10:47 PM

Only if you are a golden eagle.

Andrew Longman
11-15-08, 10:58 PM
Last Spring I walked past my bird feeder to get the mail just as a Coopers Hawk picked a Goldfinch off the feeder. It was over fast but startled the crappis out out me.

G.
11-15-08, 11:12 PM
Birds of prey know they're cool.

:cool: