PDA

View Full Version : This interesting little note got buried

rabbit
05-24-03, 11:09 PM
http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/2/045508-8752-037.html
Clear down at the bottom of the page.

Although temperatures are expected to be in the mid-50s at race time, fans won't see a repeat of the 1992 race when cold tires caused a number of crashes. The IRL is allowing teams to use tire warmers for the first time.
Appearantly Brainfart is afraid he won't have 33 cars left at the end of the race. I thought these guys were the best in the biz. Maybe they should get Montoya to come back and show them how to drive on cold tires.

DaveL
05-24-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Maybe they should get Montoya to come back and show them how to drive on cold tires.

Or Jason Priestly...

devilmaster
05-24-03, 11:27 PM
Although temperatures are expected to be in the mid-50s at race time, fans won't see a repeat of the 1992 race when cold tires caused a number of crashes. The IRL is allowing teams to use tire warmers for the first time.

This is good news. Really it is.

That way, when they all crash anyways, no one can use the excuse that they were on cold tires. :p :D

Steve

sundaydriver
05-25-03, 12:14 AM
If Juan's not available, maybe his grandma could come out and show the guys how to drive on cold tires. :D

Eagle104
05-25-03, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by devilmaster
This is good news. Really it is.

That way, when they all crash anyways, no one can use the excuse that they were on cold tires. :p :D

Steve

True. But they'll still have the economy to fall back on.:gomer: :laugh:

Hink
05-25-03, 05:15 AM
That's ok.

You don't need tire warmers if you have the grandma setup on the car.

It just makes the rich teams spend more. A different kind of cost control.

That's what the IRL had to kill OW for, reduced costs, and still nobody's buying. (Must be the economy)

pchall
05-25-03, 07:47 AM
Will everybody have them, or will the weak operations not have the money or the personel to use tire warmers?

BTW, Sarah Fisher needs tire warmers that go up to 11.

;)

rabbit
05-25-03, 08:29 AM
This just in....

Al Speyer was interviewed on WIBC this morning and he said they will not be using tire warmers. He said any gains made by using them on green flag stops would be lost on yellow flag stops (which most stops are) because the tires would be cooled back down by the time it went green.

The way it sounded to me, Firestone hadn't been consulted before the decision was made.

pchall
05-25-03, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
This just in....

The way it sounded to me, Firestone hadn't been consulted before the decision was made.

I wonder if the little, underfunded teams also complained?

Ed_Severson
05-25-03, 09:18 AM
"I wonder if the little, underfunded teams also complained?"

Almost certainly not. If they had, I'm sure tire warmers would be the order of the day.

rabbit
05-25-03, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by pchall
I wonder if the little, underfunded teams also complained? Speyer did mention that the IRL was supplying the blankets.