PDA

View Full Version : Miller on the IRL Silly Season

pchall
11-13-08, 09:09 AM
INDYCAR: Free Agents Abound
Written by: Robin Miller
11/12/2008 - 06:03 PM
Indianapolis, Ind.

“You’re our guy, the team is behind you and we really want you back but....” Ryan Hunter-Reay, Will Power, Oriol Servia and Justin Wilson have all heard this same refrain during the past few months.

It’s the state of IndyCar racing in this economically challenging time that these four proven racers are all free agents. As it stands today, this quartet is experienced, proven, fast and all without a deal for 2009.

Indycar Free Agents Abound (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-free-agents-abound/indycar-free-agents-abound)

Miller talks to capable but as yet unemployed for 2009 drivers and brings up the lack of sponsorships behind the so far stagnant Silly Season. This, despite the IRL's shill, Terry Angstadt, sending out a press release saying that everything is looking up for 2009:

“We entered 2008 with the remarkable momentum of unification and that benefited all of our key metrics all season long,” said Terry Angstadt, president, commercial division for the Indy Racing League. “While we are very happy with the immediate results of unification, we will spend the off-season looking at ways to continue to build this momentum to grow the IndyCar Series.”

Key Metrics Show Immediate Results During Season Of Unification (http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7818&Itemid=219)

Anybody who has spent some time around a b school will detect the familiar odor.

Chaos
11-13-08, 10:36 AM
ratings are ****
attendance is inconsistent
the races are now going to be shown on a network that is lost in the jungle of 1000 channels.

IRL is now using the exact same playbook that Champcar used.

NismoZ
11-13-08, 10:54 AM
Yep. Plenty of bleak to go around these days including right here at my front door. Trying to remember...who was the Euro guy saying he has an Indy Car ride "all lined up" for next season with a top team? Rumor then was it was NHL so with Wilson shopping (what a shame!) that could be the team. Doornbos? Has to be somebody with money. King Carl always took the best available and PAID him. Guessing those days are gone and now it's take the best guy with money/sponsorship. I'm from a corn state and HAVE to use a mix fuel but I'm no farmer or scamming politician so the sooner Ethanol goes the better. I'd rather see booze as sponsors. Too bad of course for RHR. Hard to actually feel sorry though for a few race drivers and teams turning turtle when tens of thousands in the industry are likely to be sacked as well.:(

trish
11-13-08, 11:00 AM
They're way ahead of Champ Car in the obscurity department.

NismoZ
11-13-08, 11:10 AM
Yep, it was Miller back in early September saying Doornbos might be the guy as Robert was talking freely about such a deal. Dutch bank sponsorship but not Trust (I guess The Boss finally ate all that up!) but ING, & Muermans?

Methanolandbrats
11-13-08, 11:25 AM
What business is going to sponsor a car or driver in a racing series nobody watches on TV or in person?

Chaos
11-13-08, 11:45 AM
What business is going to sponsor a car or driver in a racing series nobody watches on TV or in person?

The same ones that have sponsored open wheel since this decade started.

JLMannin
11-13-08, 12:22 PM
As long as the 500 has 33 starters and the race is on network TV, all is well in the world of the IRL.

Insomniac
11-13-08, 01:15 PM

Maybe they can ask for a piece of the bailout pie. :D I imagine ROI analysis of advertising budgets would put the line for the IRL near the bottom. The only good thing they have going for them is that the costs are low with identical equipment for all. Just buying replacement parts.

Don Quixote
11-13-08, 01:37 PM
We all know that they are headed towards a 16 car field. The tv numbers and track attendence will continue to decline. 33 will just become a number, because king tony has no more reason to prop it up. The faithful will proclaim that this is the fault of the economy and not king tony. All hail the king!

Chaos
11-13-08, 01:47 PM
We all know that they are headed towards a 16 car field. The tv numbers and track attendence will continue to decline. 33 will just become a number, because king tony has no more reason to prop it up. The faithful will proclaim that this is the fault of the economy and not king tony. All hail the king!

I dont think it'll get that low. But I would not be surprised if the car count goes down.

Andrew Longman
11-13-08, 03:00 PM
I dont think it'll get that low. But I would not be surprised if the car count goes down.

Roth is already out, no? I don't see anyone new coming along. Even without the economy the likely players are headed to ALMS and GA.

With the decline in oil prices I think its possible Citgo may be rethinking their participation, but maybe Milka is immune.

ABC Supply has to be hurting and wondering what they are getting from their sponsorship.

KV has to be threatened with the Oz race gone

Cripe, I guess without Newman Mickydees is gone or Wilson would already be signed

PCM is always hanging on a thread. Unless Dominguez bringing money they aren't racing.

HVM? Not strength there either.

It could be a very short trip to 16 cars

Methanolandbrats
11-13-08, 03:04 PM
The economy is Tony's out if he wants to bail. Just blame the failure of the IRL on "market forces" and turn the Indy 500 into a vintage event. He could roll all the sleds out of the museum and have them lap, sell food and snacks, throw in a raffle and some s***** bands.........there ya go.

Chaos
11-13-08, 03:21 PM
Roth is already out, no? I don't see anyone new coming along. Even without the economy the likely players are headed to ALMS and GA.

With the decline in oil prices I think its possible Citgo may be rethinking their participation, but maybe Milka is immune.

ABC Supply has to be hurting and wondering what they are getting from their sponsorship.

KV has to be threatened with the Oz race gone

Cripe, I guess without Newman Mickydees is gone or Wilson would already be signed

PCM is always hanging on a thread. Unless Dominguez bringing money they aren't racing.

HVM? Not strength there either.

It could be a very short trip to 16 cars

You could be right. But at the very least, TG has shown he'll provide funding to get to 18 (hence Vision). Plus, I dont think a scenario where all of the above drop out. I can see some of the 2 car teams becoming 1. But not both gone. Again, Tony dollars may come into play.

He can use all that big Versus money along with the Title Sponsorship deal that's coming any day now.

Don Quixote
11-13-08, 03:57 PM
Andrew, it scares me that you know so much about the irl teams. Have you been anywhere near a fruit flavored sugar beverage lately? :saywhat: :p

Don Quixote
11-13-08, 03:59 PM
You could be right. But at the very least, TG has shown he'll provide funding to get to 18 (hence Vision). Plus, I dont think a scenario where all of the above drop out. I can see some of the 2 car teams becoming 1. But not both gone. Again, Tony dollars may come into play.

He can use all that big Versus money along with the Title Sponsorship deal that's coming any day now. He may prop up some teams, but why? He doesn't have any competion anymore. His faithful lemmings will show up in May, regardless. I have my doubts as to how much money he will continue to pour down the rathole.

trish
11-13-08, 04:10 PM
I've been wondering how the economy is affecting (effecting?) TG's wealth.

pchall
11-13-08, 04:48 PM
I've been wondering how the economy is affecting (effecting?) TG's wealth.

The Clabber Girl Clan are probably significantly smaller billionaires right now, and Tony's sisters are going to be worried about what their kids are going to get when all over.

Andrew Longman
11-13-08, 05:30 PM
Andrew, it scares me that you know so much about the irl teams. Have you been anywhere near a fruit flavored sugar beverage lately? :saywhat: :p

I don't know. Do recovering alcoholics ponder beer ads?

I've been passionate about the sport since i was 8. I watched with joy and sadness the CanAm DVD last night. What an awesome series right up to the end when the 917-30 convinced everyone it was pointless. 1500 hp twin turbo monster.

CART seemed to have figured it out. The IRL might someday figure it out but I think the unification probably came at least 8 years too late and now the spec/cost control nature of racing and the crashing economy has probably killed off any form of racing that will hold my interest.

ALMS has promise but Trev told me this afternoon that the BP P2 team is closing and a few months ago they had a new car and were talking about a second car

stroker
11-13-08, 05:56 PM
The economy is Tony's out if he wants to bail. Just blame the failure of the IRL on "market forces" and turn the Indy 500 into a vintage event. He could roll all the sleds out of the museum and have them lap, sell food and snacks, throw in a raffle and some s***** bands.........there ya go.

It would be a better race.

High Sided
11-13-08, 06:00 PM

from the article it sounds like graham rahal get's mcdonalds

Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing picked up the option on Graham Rahal, but not Wilson because it has only McDonald’s on board as a sponsor.

pchall
11-13-08, 08:41 PM
Cripe, I guess without Newman Mickydees is gone or Wilson would already be signed.

Haas has apparently inked Rahal Lite for 2009, suggesting McD money is still there. Justin Wilson is probably the collateral damage from PLN's death.

Boob Doorknob (aka Robert Doornbos) has been rumored to be taking ING and Red Bull money to Haas, but who knows if that will happen. The Dutch government is pouring billions into ING to keep them solvent these days.

devilmaster
11-13-08, 09:35 PM
The Dutch government is pouring billions into ING to keep them solvent these days.

Better get the dakota into an accident and grab the cash now while i can... ;)

Methanolandbrats
11-13-08, 11:23 PM
Better get the dakota into an accident and grab the cash now while i can... ;) You might get hurt, better to loosen the clamps on the fuel rail and let it idle at the end of the driveway. :D

pchall
11-14-08, 12:04 AM
You might get hurt, better to loosen the clamps on the fuel rail and let it idle at the end of the driveway. :D

:rofl:

audi quattro
11-14-08, 12:30 PM
ratings are ****
attendance is inconsistent
the races are now going to be shown on a network that is lost in the jungle of 1000 channels.

IRL is now using the exact same playbook that Champcar used.

It wasn't champcars playbook.
It is the playbook of a desperate series which champcar was and now the earl is.
These are the only options open to them and it is textbook.

Andrew Longman
11-14-08, 02:17 PM
It is the playbook of a desperate series which champcar was and now the earl is.

But Champcar was desperate because their biz model didn't include the I500, or so that's the story.

The shame is that the 500 is so diminished that the IRL, even with it, is nearly, if not more desperate. :rolleyes:

mueber
11-14-08, 05:30 PM
May 26, 2013: "The NASCAR 500 at Indy sponsored by Honda"

BTW: WGAF