PDA

View Full Version : "Hearn has heard enough"

rabbit
05-24-03, 11:02 PM
http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/2/045508-8752-037.html

Richie Hearn has grown weary of talk that Paul Tracy should have won last year's race. That's the breaks, Hearn said of his fellow Las Vegas resident.

"That same yellow light cost me about $20,000, and you didn't hear me causing a big stink in the papers," he said.

Hearn was passing Cheever for fifth place when the controversial yellow light came on. League officials denied the pass.
:shakehead
Hey, Richie. Maybe it's because nobody gives a flyin' flip who finishes fifth. :rolleyes:

devilmaster
05-24-03, 11:31 PM
I guess they needed some sort of sound bite from Richie. Nobody wanted to talk about his ride this year, I guess. :p :D

Steve

Railbird
05-24-03, 11:34 PM
Well hell, no wonder he's pissed about losing twenty grand.

Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/045144-2847-135.html)

RaceChic
05-26-03, 07:07 PM
"When driver Richie Hearn is finished with Sunday's 87th Indianapolis 500, he plans to keep on driving . . . all the way home to Las Vegas to work on a road construction crew.

If he's not racing cars, he's making a living dodging them.

"I'm out there and everybody is trying to kill me. Who the hell wants to do that for a career?" said Hearn"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I think that being robbed of a legitimate Indy500 win is a sh**load worse and different than a $20,000 fine. Dumb a**!!! :shakehead

mapguy
05-26-03, 10:20 PM
If I called myself a race car driver and I couldn't pass Under-a I'd be pissed too.

fourrunner
05-27-03, 12:31 AM
Must Piss Hearn Off Plenty to watch Paul Tracy pass him standing on the road in Vegas with one on his Many, Many Vehicles on his way to His Danzi on the Lake. ;)

Dr. Corkski
05-27-03, 01:17 AM
Considering how Hearn got screwed out of CART, can you blame him for being bitter when he got screwed out of $20k that he could have used? Give him a break.

Tracy got screwed but at least everyone knows it, and Player's ain't paying him to do construction work either.

racer2c
05-27-03, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Considering how Hearn got screwed out of CART, can you blame him for being bitter when he got screwed out of $20k that he could have used? Give him a break.

Tracy got screwed but at least everyone knows it, and Player's ain't paying him to do construction work either.

Give him a break for getting screwed out of CART? Givew me a break! I'll give him a break for being a wanker. That's about it.

Dr. Corkski
05-27-03, 10:38 AM
Hearn does not deserve the wanker label at all. He won the Toyota Atlantic championship in 95. How silly of me to actually think that geniune pace and wins from CART sanctioned ladder series was actually supposed to mean anything? ;)

His CART numbers were crap because most of the cars he drove were crap (Lola in 97, Swift in 98, Toyota in 99). Rahal sure thought highly enough of him to want him ahead of Papis when searching for a successor. It was only for Hearn's loyality/stupidity, tha he stuck with Della Penna only to see himself get dropped when Noberto Fontana came in with the empty check book. But hey, real CART fans should not apperciate loyalty, right?

Come to think of it it's rather ignorant to call him a wanker, considering that despite his less than stellar CART numbers, he still had a far better resume than quite a few of the "drivers" in CART this year.

JoeBob
05-27-03, 10:42 AM

As you pointed out. Hearn screwed himself out of CART. Why he stayed with Della Penna when he could have gone to Rahal is beyond me. (Especially with Della Penna seeming to go out of his way to have the worst chassis/engine available.)

racer2c
05-27-03, 11:23 AM
Hearn does not deserve the wanker label at all. He won the Toyota Atlantic championship in 95. How silly of me to actually think that geniune pace and wins from CART sanctioned ladder series was actually supposed to mean anything? ;)

His CART numbers were crap because most of the cars he drove were crap (Lola in 97, Swift in 98, Toyota in 99). Rahal sure thought highly enough of him to want him ahead of Papis when searching for a successor. It was only for Hearn's loyality/stupidity, tha he stuck with Della Penna only to see himself get dropped when Noberto Fontana came in with the empty check book. But hey, real CART fans should not apperciate loyalty, right?

Come to think of it it's rather ignorant to call him a wanker, considering that despite his less than stellar CART numbers, he still had a far better resume than quite a few of the "drivers" in CART this year.

It's ok Richie, I mean Dr., construction is a noble trade.

Hink
05-27-03, 11:31 AM
#1 Hearn screwed himself out of CART. It's too bad but that's what happened.

#2 For his commments to make any sense, $20K and te difference between an IRL 500 win vs second must have near equal value. They don't.

chop456
05-27-03, 11:37 AM
The only reason DellaPenna stuck w/Toyota was because they were free, no? I think he and most everyone else would have preferred a Honda. Turns out free wasn't that great a deal in the long run for him, PPI and Gurney.

JoeBob
05-27-03, 11:46 AM
Don't forget the Lolas and Swifts as well. Della Penna ran those when they hit bottom as well. (And, IIRC those might have been free too - at least the Swift.)

Hink
05-27-03, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by chop456
The only reason DellaPenna stuck w/Toyota was because they were free, no? I think he and most everyone else would have preferred a Honda. Turns out free wasn't that great a deal in the long run for him, PPI and Gurney.

Yes and JD complained to no end that he couldn't get an engine when in fact he coudn't get an engine _for free_.

JoeBob
05-27-03, 02:36 PM
Della Penna (along with PPI) had sued CART after Toyota dumped them, claiming that CART didn't enforce its minimum supply rules. Whatever happened to that?

Kate
05-27-03, 04:16 PM
As I recall, Richie Hearn had smashed up at Fontana just a few laps before Greg Moore was killed in the very same spot, and he was giving an interview when Moore's death occurred.

He ought to quit bawling and drop to his knees in thankfulness that he is still alive to do anything at all.

Lizzerd
05-27-03, 06:08 PM
You recall correctly, Kate. Nearly identical spins and skids through the grass.

RaceChic
05-27-03, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Kate
As I recall, Richie Hearn had smashed up at Fontana just a few laps before Greg Moore was killed in the very same spot, and he was giving an interview when Moore's death occurred.

He ought to quit bawling and drop to his knees in thankfulness that he is still alive to do anything at all.

Doesn't sound like he has the class in him. Saying that crap about PT losing his win. If he had ever been in that position, I'd bet he'd have a completely different view on this.......:shakehead

Dr. Corkski
05-27-03, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Doesn't sound like he has the class in him. Saying that crap about PT losing his win. If he had ever been in that position, I'd bet he'd have a completely different view on this.......:shakehead Of course, if Hearn was given half the chances that Tracy was given he would have probably won a championship by now.

Besides, Tracy's comments pretty much indicates he didn't really think much of that supposed "great" race anyway. Time to move on.

racer2c
05-27-03, 07:23 PM
Hearn compared to PT, now I've heard everthing! "If only he had been ""given"" the same chances." LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had a dollar for everytime some backmarker fan said that, I'd have enough to be a backmarker myself.

Now then, if Mark Smith had only been given a Penske shot we wouldn't have to endure any of these fence climbin' Amazonians...

Dr. Corkski
05-27-03, 07:25 PM
How many wins would PT have had he stayed at Coyne his entire career?

fourrunner
05-27-03, 07:27 PM
Can't Blame Richie Hearn for "Kissing Tony's But" in the Press regarding last years finish.

However, if he thinks about it, if he and a few others who may have lost positions ,other than Green, had balked a bit about the situation, he might have that $20,000 he lost if they had negated that yellow! I mean if Barry Green prevails, Hearn is in a win win situation.

Besides, I haven't heard Tracy complain that much lately, seems it's more his supporters doing the complaining for him. I'm glad he didn't give TG the satisfaction of a return visit. A "Grudge Match" would be number one on Jenkins & Goodyears "Things to Watch" list!

racer2c
05-27-03, 07:33 PM
How many wins would PT have had he stayed at Coyne his entire career?

Name an active open wheel driver who has been driving for more than five years who is still with the same team. There are much less ignorant ways to waste time than defending Richie "the wanker" Hearn.

:gomer:

Zhivago was a chick flick.

fourrunner
05-27-03, 07:34 PM
The facts are that some Drivers are in the right place at the right time, some show their flashes of brilliance when the stars are in perfect alignment, some just make the right decisions, some are just that good!

and then there's drivers like Richie Hearn! ;)

RaceChic
05-27-03, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by racer2c

Hey...... What's wrong with Chics? ;)
I'm very proud..... :D

pchall
05-27-03, 07:46 PM

Julie Christie made it a guy flick if your polarities were properly adjusted. ;)

racer2c
05-27-03, 08:11 PM
Ugh, I must confess....:( Zhivago is on my top five list of all time great flicks.

Lara! Lara!

pchall
05-27-03, 08:57 PM

Lara! Lara!

Another life lesson from film: the chick may be hot, but she's not worth a coronary.

chop456
05-27-03, 09:26 PM
Name an active open wheel driver who has been driving for more than five years who is still with the same team.

Coulthard.

Go figure.

cartmanoz
05-28-03, 04:52 AM
Coulthard is a wanker as well.

And he goes in the same category as Hearn anyway!:D

mapguy
05-28-03, 06:22 AM
Of course, if Hearn was given half the chances that Tracy was given he would have probably won a championship by now.

Tracy only had one chance to make it. He rented a Coyne car for one race. Long Beach '91. Drove an old Lola-DFS. Stuck it 15th on the grid. Was battling Mears for 5th when the water line broke. When he got back to the Coyne trailer there was a note for him to see Mr Penske.

It's not what equipment you have, it's what you do with it. Tracy took a crappy old Coyne car and stuck it where it had no right being.

Hearn had as many chances as PT did to make an impression. He didn't. Tough spit for him.

As a side note on that LB race. A certain B. Lazier, driving the same car combo as PT, really showed his stuff and put the car in last place in quals. Right behind a D. Vitolo and G. Dacco.

Kate
05-28-03, 07:21 AM
If only they could ramrod a Quota System forcing people to hire American drivers ... if only there was some way to get a drive that didn't involve having to be a better driver than the next guy, or having more money than he has ...

If only Richie Hearn could get a drive by whining ... :cry:

Dr. Corkski
05-28-03, 07:29 AM
If only they could ramrod a Quota System forcing people to hire American drivers ... if only there was some way to get a drive that didn't involve having to be a better driver than the next guy, or having more money than he has ...

If only Richie Hearn could get a drive by whining ... :cry: If his name was Ricardo Hernandez, you would be saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sad that this thread turned out to be another excuse for you to spew your anti-American crap.

Kate
05-28-03, 07:41 AM
I'm not Anti-American, she said mildly. And if Ricardo Hernandez were whining that he deserved somebody else's ride although the other guy was way more talented than he was, I'd tell him to go away and get a life too. I was just thinking of ways Hearn could get a top-level drive without actually having to meet any of the criteria that other drivers have to meet. A quota is one option he might pursue.

RaceChic
05-28-03, 08:55 AM
I would love to see more Americans in CART and Canucks for
that matter, believe you me. :)

But... I won't fall into that as my "vision" in order to justify a crap series with crap drivers. I personally like to give my support to tallent and those that display qualities I can respect. Much like people commented in the thread about Mikey living up to the hype or not......... he posessed a certain amount of abilities that they respected but just couldn't take him as a person anymore. Also the thread about Gil de Ferran being a deserving Indy500 winner..... even thought he drives in the "dark side" now.... he left a respectful imprssion of himself and a driver behind.

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion that just
cannot bring about anything positive for anyone.
Keep on racin' :D

Dr. Corkski
05-28-03, 03:36 PM
I'm not Anti-American, she said mildly. And if Ricardo Hernandez were whining that he deserved somebody else's ride although the other guy was way more talented than he was, I'd tell him to go away and get a life too. I was just thinking of ways Hearn could get a top-level drive without actually having to meet any of the criteria that other drivers have to meet. A quota is one option he might pursue. Hate to break it to you, but this thread had nothing to do with whether Hearn or any other American driver is more deserving of a seat nowdays than some of those exotic non-Americans wankers that you seem to love. Hearn is well past his use by date, so that discussion is moot. Nowhere was a "quota" was even suggested til you had to chime in with your anti-American crap. Funny that a Prost fan of all people would have a problem with whining.

RaceGrrl
05-28-03, 03:49 PM
"Kettle, I'm not black," said Pot.

mapguy
05-28-03, 05:14 PM
I'm still waiting for a reason why Hearn should be in C^RT. Emp deserves a ride more than Hearn does.

Dr Z. My above post states that in order to get noticed (without sponsor money) you gotta take a POS and put it where it doesn't belong. That is what PT did. Hearn took a POS and drove it like a POS. Please explain why he deserves a ride. Over better drivers like Emp, Bourbonais, Bentham, Rice, Hand...

Ziggy
05-28-03, 05:30 PM
What speaks volumes about this thread is the lack of any credibility of CART's ladder system. No one in the world has a worse ladder system than CART. It should be used to nurture not only the talent, but the sponsorship as well. I watched Hearn win an Atlantic's title. I watched Barron, both seemed ready to progress into bigger, faster cars. Somewhere along the line, they ran out of money. Its just fate, or luck, or good planning that a guy like Jimmy Vasser had a patron in the form of Jim Hayhoe to bring him up until his talent could show through. Hindsight being 20/20, it seems DellaPenna didn't have as deep of pockets as he thought. This is not a knock on JDP, for CART has let a lot of staunch supporters die on the vine, ala Carl Hogan. These guys were spending their own money, and they spent way to much.

PS -Karts are not going to cut it, its a start, but that's it. You dont go from a Kart to a Champcar, what is the plan for the transition? I have not heard of one. What about as long as your funding every two bit tacobender this season, that you build up some sort of fund to ensure the winner of the Atlantic Crown gets some sort of legitimate chance to compete in CART next season?

This running a racing series should not be this hard folks, Our sport has changed, and the boobs calling the shots keep getting caught with their eyes on now instead of tomorrow. Its a money thing, always has been.

Ziggy

Hink
05-28-03, 07:19 PM
Didn't Dellapenna get his money through his wife? Once that went bad, that was it.

Treeface
05-28-03, 09:43 PM
Yeah, her name was Toyota. IMO Gidley was Della Penna's best driver.

Peter Venkman
05-29-03, 07:44 PM
"Coulthard is a wanker as well."

Check his points from the years he's been competing.

He's better than most think, and one of the few that is not afraid to take Schumaker on.

chop456
05-29-03, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Venkman
"Coulthard is a wanker as well."

Check his points from the years he's been competing.

He's better than most think, and one of the few that is not afraid to take Schumaker on. [/QUOTE

I agree. I think most of the criticism lies in the fact that his teammates have won the WDC 3(?) times. He was still w/Williams when Hill won, right?

Hink
05-30-03, 05:00 AM
Coulthard has gotten significantly better about things like not sticking it hard into the chicane entering the pits and such, but it has taken way too long to see the lack of mistakes.

Sure he's good for a couple of wins, but I'd bet he retires with no WDCs. His young teammate already has a clear edge once he gets off the line.

WickerBill
05-30-03, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by chop456
He was still w/Williams when Hill won, right?

Hill won in 1996 with a rookie Villeneuve as teammate, I believe.

lone_groover
05-30-03, 06:37 AM
Maybe Buhl's or Mugheehee's rich daddies could give Hearn a J-O-B. It's never too late to get that GED!