PDA

View Full Version : iTunes question

JLMannin
11-08-08, 11:16 AM
I have an iTunes question. I want to wipe the disk on my computer and install XP Pro SP2 (I purchased a copy this summer) The current OS is XP Home, SP3. I know that I need to back up the iTunes library to a DVD - I figured out that part :gomer:. What is comfusing me the the certify/decertify this computer stuff. Do I need to do that before backing up the library?

I don't want to end up with a sutuation where I go to restore my backup and I can't use it because I did not tick one check box before I wiped my hard disk. As far as the software is concerned, would I be moving my iTunes library from one PC to another?

As you can tell, I'm :confused:

Thanks,

John

rosawendel
11-08-08, 02:53 PM
Itunes lets you "authorize" up to 5 computers for access. You need to authorize if you are using the iTunes store or have anything that you've downloaded from it.

Before you delete your old OS you should deauthorize it. then, once you establish the new set-up, then you can authorize it again.
once you've replaced your library, you can path to it pretty easily (use the edit pulldown, select preferences, then click the advanced tab).

i don't know what your options are if you destroyed a computer interface without deauthorizing it. I would imagine you could get it taken care of via customer service, but I don't really know.

JLMannin
11-08-08, 08:34 PM
Itunes lets you "authorize" up to 5 computers for access. You need to authorize if you are using the iTunes store or have anything that you've downloaded from it.

Before you delete your old OS you should deauthorize it. then, once you establish the new set-up, then you can authorize it again.
once you've replaced your library, you can path to it pretty easily (use the edit pulldown, select preferences, then click the advanced tab).

i don't know what your options are if you destroyed a computer interface without deauthorizing it. I would imagine you could get it taken care of via customer service, but I don't really know.

Thanks.

So, the steps I should take are:

Back-up library
deauthorize the computer
Wipe the disk, load new OS
download i-tunes software, reauthorize computer
restore backup

Do I have the basic steps in the correct order?

Elmo T
11-08-08, 09:33 PM
Another option is to transfer library to external hard drive.

Stu
11-09-08, 10:24 AM
seems like the best option is to stop using itunes.

Sean Malone
11-09-08, 10:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, why the desire to go through all of this just to have Pro? What aspects of Pro are you planning on utilizing that you don't have with Home or couldn't install on an as needed basis?

JLMannin
11-09-08, 10:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, why the desire to go through all of this just to have Pro? What aspects of Pro are you planning on utilizing that you don't have with Home or couldn't install on an as needed basis?

My system is running slower and slower. I think it is four or five years on since it was new, and I have never performed the OS flush. A few programs have just stopped running, such as Movie Maker and my son's AR DS. So it is not so much a desire to have Pro as it is to have a fresh install of the OS.

Sean Malone
11-10-08, 11:22 AM
My system is running slower and slower. I think it is four or five years on since it was new, and I have never performed the OS flush. A few programs have just stopped running, such as Movie Maker and my son's AR DS. So it is not so much a desire to have Pro as it is to have a fresh install of the OS.

Ok. Please proceed. :D

Chaos
11-10-08, 11:54 AM

wow.. 4-5 years. That's a long time. My refresh cycle usually goes between 1-2 years.

Also, I cannot stress enough the benefits of an external harddrive (or 2 if you are really concerned about backups). Throw all your data there. No need to copy everything to do a refresh. All you'd need to do is reinstall your software.

JLMannin
12-10-08, 10:51 PM
OK, I have another i-tunes question from the i-pod users in my family. Appearantly, when the center button is pressed and held too long, an "on-the-go playlist" is spawned. I know how to delete them, but I would like to disable their creation in the first place. Is this possible?

Robstar
12-10-08, 11:27 PM
seems like the best option is to stop using itunes.

That's not helping... but I concur...

Itunes by default stores all your music in My Music>iTunes>itunes Library or similar... When you rip your CD's to iTunes it saves them as M4A & should have them all in their respective albums/folders... Just burn all that to a couple of DVD's (data)

Reinstall OS etc etc

Install iTunes again & File>Add folder to library & just choose the folder where you've put all the M4A's...

Robstar
12-10-08, 11:31 PM
OK, I have another i-tunes question from the i-pod users in my family. Appearantly, when the center button is pressed and held too long, an "on-the-go playlist" is spawned. I know how to delete them, but I would like to disable their creation in the first place. Is this possible?

Do that in iTunes... Just delete that annoying playlist... then when you sync, it shouldn't be there...

cameraman
12-11-08, 02:36 AM
On the iPod
Scroll up to "Music" on your iPod menu.
Click on "Playlists".
Click on "On-The-Go".
Scroll down to "Clear Playlist" and click on it.
Select "Clear Playlist" (as opposed to "Cancel").

On the Computer
Connect your iPod to your computer.
Open iTunes and wait for your iPod to appear in the left-hand column.
Click the small arrow by the iPod to display its contents including playlists.
Find the "On-The-Go" playlist you wish to delete.
Highlight it and click either delete or backspace. It may ask you if you are sure. Make sure you want to do this.
Know that you can also rename your playlist here instead of keeping the name "On-The-Go 1".

indyfan31
12-11-08, 12:12 PM
I don't think that's what JLMannin is asking, it sounds like he wants to stop the middle button from creating the on-the-go lists in the first place.
I'm not positive, but I don't see a way to disable that feature.

Can I ask why that's a problem, and why just taking your finger off the middle button isn't a solution?

JLMannin
12-11-08, 12:58 PM
I don't think that's what JLMannin is asking, it sounds like he wants to stop the middle button from creating the on-the-go lists in the first place.
I'm not positive, but I don't see a way to disable that feature.

Can I ask why that's a problem, and why just taking your finger off the middle button isn't a solution?

Sometimes, the middle button is pressed and held without user intervention, turning on the i-pod and spawning an on-the-go list when the device is in kid's pocket, a backpack, or wife's purse. Sometimes, through user error, the middle button is pressed and held instead of (or in addition to) the pause button to turn the thing off, spawning an on-the-go list. They are not doing it on purpose. An i-pod touch has no center button, so I don't know what the kids are doing to accidently spawn the on-the-go list.

How does a company make billions off a product so poorly designed that it has no dedicated on/off switch and can be inadvertantly turned on?

You know, my wife and kids would likely appreciate having that fellow in the suit ask "You requested the spawning of an on-the-go list - did you really intend to do this?" :cool:

TKGAngel
12-11-08, 01:09 PM
Sometimes, the middle button is pressed and held without user intervention, turning on the i-pod and spawning an on-the-go list when the device is in kid's pocket, a backpack, or wife's purse. Sometimes, through user error, the middle button is pressed and held instead of (or in addition to) the pause button to turn the thing off, spawning an on-the-go list. They are not doing it on purpose. An i-pod touch has no center button, so I don't know what the kids are doing to accidently spawn the on-the-go list.

How does a company make billions off a product so poorly designed that it has no dedicated on/off switch and can be inadvertantly turned on?

I don't know if this exists on the newer iPods, but my Mini has a lock switch at the top. When that switch is activated, no amount of button pushing will do anything. The device remains where I left it...on, off, shuffle, etc. Turn the switch off, and I can operate the buttons again.

cameraman
12-11-08, 09:58 PM
How does a company make billions off a product so poorly designed that it has no dedicated on/off switch and can be inadvertently turned on?

What kind of iPod does not have a hold switch?

Robstar
12-12-08, 08:12 AM
Yeah, even those little shuffles that you clip on your pocket have that hold switch... little orange dot when it's on hold...

nrc
12-12-08, 10:17 AM

Because it's hawt. Insert my rant about iPods and their lack of proper power buttons: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=217565

Now I have a Sanza Fuze. 8 Gigs of tiny, plays OGGs, and has a power switch just as gawd intended.

Napoleon
01-24-09, 05:38 PM
What kind of iPod does not have a hold switch?

Mine has a hold switch. That is how you keep it turned off.

racermike
01-25-09, 01:06 AM
My big gripe with iTunes, is even on fast systems, its slow and a memory hog.

I do love it though, as I am able to download all my podcasts daily without thinking about it.

Insomniac
01-25-09, 01:36 PM

Or on. ;)

racermike
01-25-09, 11:03 PM

Mine has a hold switch as well. When I power it down by holding the play button down for a few seconds, I then move the switch on top to hold. No accidental pushing of anything will turn it on.

I use the hold switch all the time when playing podcasts/music, so I dont accidentally do things while listening.

Napoleon
09-21-09, 10:08 AM
A coda to this thread. I ran into this weird issue with my i-tunes where I noticed that 3 albums that i-tunes considered to be compilations, and I had no other "non-compilation" albums on i-tunes for the artist involved, failed to list the artist on the i-pod when I sorted by artist, so unless I sorted by album I could not access it on the i-pod.

Anyways I spent hours and hours over the last 2 weekends trying to solve it and while bumping around on the i-tunes site noticed they have discussion boards. It took just a few minutes on it finding a thread where someone raised the same problem and a solution was given, so anyone with issues should look there first.