PDA

View Full Version : Gore quits motor racing

SurfaceUnits
11-06-08, 01:03 PM
Mike Bruce

November 7th, 2008

GOLD Coast business giant Craig Gore has quit motor racing. Speaking from a family holiday at Byron Bay, Mr Gore said he had an epiphany when he underwent life-saving surgery in London last month, forcing him to rethink life's priorities.

"I was given a week to live before my operation, and that's really changed my view of things," he said.

"I would rather spend time with my kids than race cars."

While on business in Britain in early October, the flamboyant businessman suffered a perforated bowel which required emergency surgery and saw him almost ruled out as a spectator at Indy only two weeks ago.

"I am just seriously over motorsport -- been there and done that," said a philosophical Mr Gore.

"I have other things to do with my time."

Local businessman and V8 race team sponsor Terry Morris described it as a 'sad loss to motorsport'.

"He's been a great contributor, been very passionate and always given 100 per cent -- it's motor sport's loss," said Mr Morris.

It was uncertain how Team Australia driver Will Power would be affected by Mr Gore's decision.

Neither Power, who is currently in Las Vegas, nor US-based Mr Kalkhoven could be reached for comment.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/11/07/21135_gold-coast-top-story.html

Sean Malone
11-06-08, 01:16 PM
Kalkhovan swore off racing too. :)

audi quattro
11-06-08, 05:23 PM
Excellent news.
These guys who buy into racing are just not reliable to stay the long haul.
Rusport comes to mind.
Yet guys like Dale Coyne have been hanging in there for years.
No wonder open wheel is dying. There is no longevity.

Dirk Diggler
11-06-08, 05:50 PM
Kalkhovan swore off racing too. :)

:laugh:

opinionated ow
11-06-08, 06:57 PM
Gore is no loss.

emjaya
11-06-08, 08:38 PM
Excellent news.
These guys who buy into racing are just not reliable to stay the long haul.
Rusport comes to mind.
Yet guys like Dale Coyne have been hanging in there for years.
No wonder open wheel is dying. There is no longevity.

Gore always said that motor racing was just a way to advertise his business ie: WPS and Aussie Vineyards, plus he thought by throwing a few million at a race team, he would walk all over people who had been racing, and winning, for years.

I get the feeling he thought he could make money as well. :laugh: :rolleyes:

G.
11-06-08, 10:39 PM
Gore is no loss.

Will Power might be.

opinionated ow
11-07-08, 12:08 AM
Will Power might be.

Logic would dictate that Power is contracted to KV Racing Technologies and not Craig Gore.

pchall
11-07-08, 12:10 AM
Will Power might be.

There are much better things for Power to do in motorsports than run in the IRL.

emjaya
11-07-08, 09:24 AM
a "STATEMENT FROM CRAIG GORE" (http://www.teamaustraliamotorsport.com/latest_news.asp)

“I have not made any announcement regarding my retirement from motorsport,” said Gore.

“I did state that I was taking time this week in Byron Bay to reflect upon things and my future after a life threatening illness and that if it came down to having to make a choice, I would prefer to spend time with my kids rather than go racing. I made no comment of whether I discussed this with my family or close friends. I considered this conversation to be in confidence.

:\

trish
11-07-08, 09:32 AM
Well darn!