View Full Version : 9 years on

RHR_Fan
10-31-08, 08:12 AM
:(

Time goes by so slow yet so fast.

See you at the front...

Sean Malone
10-31-08, 11:04 AM
I have a very creepy picture that I took of my daughter and sister carving pumpkins while I watched the CART race. In the background on the TV you can see Greg's car starting to spin.

RIP Greg. We miss you.

Don Quixote
10-31-08, 11:43 AM
:(

dando
10-31-08, 12:03 PM
:cry: :(

RIP, #99.

-Kevin

JohnHKart
10-31-08, 01:11 PM
I never forget on this day.

John

Wheel-Nut
10-31-08, 01:13 PM
9 years . . . . I remember like it was yesterday. :(

JLMannin
10-31-08, 03:58 PM
I was standing in my living room, towards the right side, near the stairs to my basement. The TV was ahead of me and slightly to the left, at about a 30 degree angle. My washer was draining, and I could hear the floor drain gurgle - meant I had tree roots in my sewer again.

At that moment, he spun. I do not need to describe what happened after that, but the image is playing in my mind right now . . . . .

You can get the picture that I remember this very well, down to the last minute detail.

I called my friend and told him not to bother watching the race - I knew he was on the road and was recording the race. I knew before the car came to a rest that Greg was gone.

I am stunned that nine years has past since this day.

pchall
10-31-08, 04:07 PM
That one really hurt. :(

Chiphead_Dave
10-31-08, 04:54 PM
I was watching the race on my TIVO having just come home from the hospital where my wife was recovering from a C-section and my newborn son was in neo-natal intensive care.

It was a very up, down, up, down week.

anait
10-31-08, 06:13 PM
9 years.... :(

See you at the front, Greg.

IlliniRacer
10-31-08, 06:30 PM
The weather was much like today. Unseasonable warm.

After the crash happened, I turned off the TV and took my then 2 yr old son outside to play. We had a great day together.

http://www.speedcenter.com/Gallery/gallery99/best_of_1999/desert_visions480.jpg

devilmaster
10-31-08, 07:12 PM
about a week or so ago, I was cleaning the house because i had an inspection due....

I happened to be sifting through a bookcase of old newsprint and stuff, and found the canadian autosport weekly that I apparently saved from the week after.

Stopped what I was doing and took a half hour or so and read it front to back.

Brought back alot of memories. I don't remember what I had did that day, but I stopped at our navy bar with my buddy mike and turned on the tv to catch the rest of the race. I had missed the crash itself, and turned it on to see a permanent ticker underneath the race announcing that Greg had died.

I still remember the feelings and confusion I had as the ticker didn't explain how it had happened.

I don't know why, but I sometimes think, at least for me, that was where the whole thing started to go downhill.

TravelGal
10-31-08, 07:32 PM
I don't know why, but I sometimes think, at least for me, that was where the whole thing started to go downhill.

You might very well be right about that. I don't think I had thought of it in that way but it certainly never was the same. There were glimmers of hope afterward but it never worked right again. I have to admit I'm so thankful that I didn't go that year. It was the first Fontana I had missed in a long time but I just didn't feel the need to go. I'm glad I didn't. Watching it on TV was quite bad enough. :cry: :cry:

meadors
10-31-08, 08:43 PM
I was watching when it happened, and also knew right then Greg was gone. He was so talented. I couldn't help thinking at the time if he had just let it spin he be alive today. But he tried so hard to keep it off the wall.....:cry:

twas the saddest:cry: two months in CART history that i can remember.
On September 11th Gonzalo Rodrigues was killed at Laguna Seca. That afternoon I was resting and went online after a nap to find that He had been killed. I was sick. Then to lose Greg Moore right away was really hard.

doppelganger
10-31-08, 09:36 PM
:( This is an ache that will never disappear. Such talent, such promise.

Al Czervik
10-31-08, 10:46 PM
See you at the front...

Don't want to think about what could have been.

Winston Wolfe
11-01-08, 01:11 AM
I was there that day. Like many others who post here or used to at 7G.
I recall walking out to the parking lot late in the afternoon, after seeing Pupo get fitted for a seat, in the event that Greg couldnt drive.
I guess Greg thought his wrist was OK for him to drive.
A racer always wants to race.... he was destined for better things.
I have a picture of me and Greg in the paddock at LBGP earlier that year. He had the flu, but still stopped for a photo with me and a friend.
RIP Greg....:thumbup:

Indy
11-01-08, 01:55 AM
I remember Paul Page's reaction the most. I had that sinking feeling we have had too many times. But there have been many other crashes that looked so bad and turned out well, so for a few minutes we held out some hope. Damn, that was spirit crushing.

He's with us now, and if he could talk to us, he would tell us to live well and race for the front. Here is to a life well lived. :thumbup:

dando
11-01-08, 12:31 PM

I've always felt Greg's demise was the beginning of the end. Z, JPM, #99, PT...damn was that fun to watch them race.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
11-01-08, 04:38 PM
No doubt about it, it was never the same afterward. I'm not aware of another racing series where the drivers, crews and even the broadcast team were so tight knit. It was like a traveling family and that spirit and joy infected everything about the series. Greg's loss took a big part of that away. None of the folks close to him could ever look at one another again and not feel the pain, and I suspect that it made it a lot easier to go separate ways.

oc