PDA

View Full Version : Atlantics to Lime Rock

Trevor Longman
10-29-08, 03:23 PM
Not sure where to post this but anyway. It was not announced by atlantics on their website but I found this on the Lime Rock site. They say that they will be one of the support races for ALMS on the July 17-18 weekend next year. I was planning on going anyway with my dad and brother but this is just an added bonus. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the atlantics are being run in conjunction with Green Prix USA next year so it could be possible that they will also be there. Just a heads up to anyone trying to plan out (and budget) their racing calenders for next year. Speaking from my experience this year, it should be a lot of fun and I highly suggest making this a must.

More info here:
http://www.limerock.com/news/read/atlantic-championship-comes-to-lime-rock-park-in-09

Gnam
10-29-08, 03:42 PM
Good news, Trevor. :thumbup:

So that's three confrimations: Miller, 3 Rivers, & Lime Rock.
Here's a list of potential races:

01. Mar 14 - Savannah
02. Mar 20 - Sebring..........(ALMS)
03. May 17 - Miller..............(ALMS)
04. Jun 07 - Portland
05. Jun 21 - Mid-Ohio.........(Grand Am)
06. July 04 - Mt. Tremblant
07. July 18 - Lime Rock......(ALMS)
08. Aug 02 - Road America
09. Aug 16 - 3 Rivers.........(Star Mazda)
10. Aug 29 - Mosport..........(ALMS)
11. Sep 26 - Road Atlanta...(ALMS)
12. Oct 11 - Laguna Seca....(ALMS)

Possible:
April 25 - Virginia Int'l Raceway (Grand-Am) *Star Mazda will be there
May 17 - Laguna Seca...(Grand Am) *same as this year
Jun 06 - Watkins Glen...(Grand Am) *help fill out weekend
Jun 14 - New Jersey......(Star Mazda) *do they want to go back?
Sep 19 - Utah...............(Grand Am) *only if they run Laguna in May instead of October.

Gnam
10-29-08, 08:09 PM
Laguna Seca just sent out their newsletter with details for next year's events. Here's the one for the ALMS event in October.

The Monterey Sports Car Championships

The Monterey Sports Car Championships featuring the American Le Mans Series race into the darkness will be on October 9-11. This race weekend concludes the 2009 season in dramatic
fashion with the high-tech, high-speed Le Mans prototypes and GT machines of the American Le Mans Series staging a Saturday afternoon-into-evening four-hour race. Sunday's action features
the season finale of both the SPEED World Challenge Touring and GT series, the IMSA Challenge and Star Mazda Raceway Atlantic Series powered by Mazda.
A little unclear if they mean Star Mazda or Atlantics or both.

But if they do run Laguna in October with ALMS, then maybe they'll also run with ALMS at Utah.
That would be two more events we could pencil in. :thumbup:

Tim
10-29-08, 09:32 PM
I hope they skip Three Rivers and go to RA.

mapguy
10-30-08, 05:39 AM
Lime Rock? I am there. :thumbup:

Rus'L
10-30-08, 11:29 AM
Good news, Trevor. :thumbup:

So that's two confrimations, 3 Rivers in August and Lime Rock in July.
Here's a list of potential races:

03. May 17 - Utah..............(ALMS)

This is now confirmed based on a news release from the Miller Motorsports Park site announcing the track's 2009 schedule.

Gnam
10-30-08, 11:44 AM
Nice. :)

May 15-17
Larry H. Miller Dealerships Utah Grand Prix
Presented by The Grand and Little America Hotels
Feature Race: American Le Mans Series
Support Races: Atlantic Championship, Formula BMW, Star Mazda, IMSA Challenge, IMSA Lites

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/release.php?p_id=159

cameraman
10-30-08, 12:20 PM
That's too bad that they switched the weekends actually. The ALMS is now running the outer course at MMP which is nowhere near as good for spectator viewing as the full course is. The Grand Am weekend uses the full course.

Rus'L
10-30-08, 03:56 PM
That's too bad that they switched the weekends actually. The ALMS is now running the outer course at MMP which is nowhere near as good for spectator viewing as the full course is. The Grand Am weekend uses the full course.

Didn't the ALMS run the outer course last year? I don't know what it is like to watch at Miller in person, but on TV, the full course looks lousy and boring.

cameraman
10-30-08, 04:42 PM
Yeah, the ALMS ran the outer track this year. The full course is very twisty and that is bad for the Audis.

Gnam
10-30-08, 06:53 PM
Would they ever run both courses during a weekend?

cameraman
10-30-08, 06:56 PM
It would probably cost too much to set up two sets of TV camera locations.

Rus'L
10-31-08, 09:26 AM
It would probably cost too much to set up two sets of TV camera locations.

They do it at Watkins Glen during the NASCAR weekend when the Daytona Prototypes run the long course (though some years, they all run the short course).

Mike Lawler
11-02-08, 11:03 AM
01. Mar 14 - Savannah
02. Mar 20 - Sebring..........(ALMS)
03. May 17 - Miller..............(ALMS)
04. Jun 07 - Portland
05. Jun 21 - Mid-Ohio.........(Grand Am)
06. July 04 - Mt. Tremblant
07. July 18 - Lime Rock......(ALMS)
08. Aug 02 - Road America
09. Aug 16 - 3 Rivers.........(Star Mazda)
10. Aug 29 - Mosport..........(ALMS)
11. Sep 26 - Road Atlanta...(ALMS)
12. Oct 11 - Laguna Seca....(ALMS)

With the completed sale of Atlantics on Holloween ( trick or treat, see the Atlantics web site) to Ben Johnson, we can almost count Savannah as number 4.
[ Quote] "The first race of the 2009 season for the GreenPrix USA Cars and the Atlantic Series will be March 13-15 in Savannah, Georgia on St. Patrick's Day weekend."
Lets hope for the best.

pchall
11-02-08, 12:58 PM

Knock off the special pleading, XRnut. ;)

Trois-Rivieres is an important venue in Atlantic history and it was big mistake for the ownership to ever leave. Now that they are back they should stay.

patski
11-03-08, 05:17 PM

I agree!

Gnam
11-04-08, 05:08 PM
Laguna Seca updated their events page for 2009. Atlantics are not mentioned as part of the ALMS weekend and they don't appear in the schedule of events. I guess they could always be added later...

http://www.laguna-seca.com/pages/2008_MontereySports_Car_Championships

*edit:

courtesy: Monterey Herald

Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca ,said Tuesday the Atlantic series would be on the card with the American Le Mans Series when it holds its season-ender again at Laguna Seca Oct. 9-11.

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_10904756

Excellent. :thumbsup:

mueber
11-06-08, 09:04 AM
Atlantics may have been saved. Might go see them iwth the ALMS at Road America this summer: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/atlantic-championship-set-for-2009/

JT265
11-06-08, 11:17 AM
Knock off the special pleading, XRnut. ;)

Trois-Rivieres is an important venue in Atlantic history and it was big mistake for the ownership to ever leave. Now that they are back they should stay.

agreed.

Trevor Longman
11-06-08, 02:41 PM
Schedule Announced!

http://champcaratlantic.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5458

2009 Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda Schedule

Date Venue/Location With
March 15 Hutchinson Island - Savannah, Ga.* Green Prix USA
March 20 Sebring International Raceway - Sebring, Fla. ALMS
May 17 Miller Motorsports Park - Tooele, Utah ALMS
June 14 New Jersey Motorsports Park - Millville, N.J.** Feature
July 18 Lime Rock Park - Lakeville, Conn. ALMS
July 25 Autobahn Country Club - Joliet, Ill.* Feature
August 8 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Lexington, Ohio ALMS
August 16 Grand Prix de Trois-Rivieres - Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada Feature
August 30 Mosport International Raceway - Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada ALMS
September 27 Road Atlanta - Braselton, Ga. ALMS
October 11 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Monterey, Calif. ALMS

Schedule subject to change
* - Circuit subject to homologation
** - Possible doubleheader race weekend

I love this schedule. They go to so many of the greatest tracks in North America. Sebring, Salt Lake City, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, Trois-Rivieres, Mosport, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca. These are all fantastic tracks and the amount of races they run with ALMS makes it easier to get a tv deal in place. All of the races on the schedule except Mid-Ohio and Savannah have SPEED cameras and tv crews already there for either ALMS or Star Mazda. I think this is a huge step forward for the series.

Gnam
11-06-08, 03:19 PM
Huzzah! :thumbup:
Thanks be to Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.

pchall
11-07-08, 12:25 AM
I wonder if Green Prix USA will wind up running at NJ and Joliet as well? Johnston wants to run 3 Green Prix events in 2009 to prepare for a longer schedule in 2010.

tllips
11-07-08, 10:35 AM
I wonder if Green Prix USA will wind up running at NJ and Joliet as well? Johnston wants to run 3 Green Prix events in 2009 to prepare for a longer schedule in 2010.

I'd certainly be willing to drive the 30min or so to Joliet to see the Atlantics, DP01's and Reynards. :thumbup: