PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic

DaveL
05-24-03, 10:44 AM
Classic is running old Indy 500s today. Interesting that all of them are from the EVIL CART era when CART was ruining everything. My guess is that no IRL fan will watch. I mean, that was during the era of turbochargers, abundant sponsorship, rising ratings and attendence for the series, huge crowds on Pole Day, leased engines, furrin road racers, and cars getting bumped out of the field.

Y'know, all of those things that IRL fans disliked so much about the CART era?

RichK
05-24-03, 12:14 PM
My wife and I are watching it, I was just telling her about the huge Indy500 parties we used to have. These early-mid-80's Indy races really bring back the memories of watching my heroes on TV, then seeing them in person at a road race later on.

Sean O'Gorman
05-24-03, 12:40 PM
I had the tail end of the '90 race and the first 30 seconds of the '82 race on before I had to head to the bank...who drove the Schlitz car in 82? :laugh:

DaveL
05-24-03, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
who drove the Schlitz car in 82? :laugh:

Good ol' Josele.

Even though I know how it ends, the final 10 laps of the '82 race are still the greatest 10 laps I've ever seen and I still get emotional watching it.

JSR
05-24-03, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
My guess is that no IRL fan will watch.

I'm watching. :)

devilmaster
05-24-03, 01:56 PM
I would like to thank ESPN Classic, for showing CART races to remind all of us how good the real racing was back in those days. And to remind how far the race has fallen since 96. Thanks, idiotgrandson.

Steve

RichK
05-24-03, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

Even though I know how it ends, the final 10 laps of the '82 race are still the greatest 10 laps I've ever seen and I still get emotional watching it.

I'll agree with that.

Watching the spin&win year right now, I find myself rooting for Mario all over again. Maybe this time he will win!

Hink
05-24-03, 02:42 PM
I remember being really pissed since the local affilliate in central Wisc cut the finish off the 1982 race on the delay (they're that dumb).

Dind't get to see it except highlights I caught years later.

DaveL
05-24-03, 03:14 PM
The contrast in the strength of the sport is astounding. It's like watching something from 100 years ago. Nothing that concerns us today was evident back then...not the least of which being whether or not enough cars would fill the field.

Thanks for saving Indy Tony :flame:

Sean O'Gorman
05-24-03, 11:59 PM
I'm watching the '81 500 right now, and I can't belive what I just heard...ARUTE of all people, said this: "Now, some of the newer fans who are watching might not know this, but the Indy 500 was once a great event"...or something along those lines. The race is on again at 10 AM, maybe someone can get the exact quote, but who would've expected to hear that from Jack? :eek:

WickerBill
05-25-03, 12:10 AM
Yep. Something like "Bobby, tell the newer fans about how big Indy was back then."