PDA

View Full Version : CART Fans May Enjoy ESPN Classic Today

Jag_Warrior
05-24-03, 10:17 AM
All day there are old Indy 500's on ESPN Classic. I realize this is pre-ChampCar World Series but this is a day for CART fans... for auto racing fans, who remember what it was like to sit and watch a race (THE race) that didn't have to be justified or rationalized.

There's not one race on that's post-split. All CART. All day! :thumbup:

devilmaster
05-24-03, 12:09 PM
But But But But....

According to the lemmings, we're supposed to hate this. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this brings back alot of memories. Thanks for the heads-up.

Perhaps I can enjoy these old races like I used to..... without tony's BS politics

Steve

p.s. I'm jumping into chat while I watch this.... c'mon in fellers, the water is fine.

devilmaster
05-24-03, 12:27 PM
Right now they're showing the 82 indy..... next up is supposed to be the spin and win 85 race. Then Rahals 86 win, after which is 92's closest finish.

Tonight, at 7 pm est, they will have Bobby Unser and Mario sit down and talk about the controversial 81 Indy.

Looks like a good day to watch CART. Thanks to ESPN classic for giving us this day to CART fans. :p

Steve

Chief
05-24-03, 08:55 PM
I can't wait for those precious IRL 497.5 races to be rebroadcast. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to air those as "classics". :p

DaveL
05-24-03, 11:38 PM
A lurking Lemming will consider this the highest form of heracy, but after watching the CART Indy races and going back to my Hungness books, Indy road the crest of the CART wave to new hights. It was not a matter of CART being propped up by Indy. The conventional wisdom is that a series needs a strong Indy to be successful. The events of the past 7 years have shown that Indy needs a strong series to be successful which is why Indy is in such a steep decline since 1996.

Jag_Warrior
05-25-03, 01:10 AM
I agree, DaveL. Yeah, I guess some IRL'ers would see it that way. But at this stage, Ray Charles could see what a mistake it was for George to not find a way to work out his problems with CART.. and for CART to find a way to work with him (yeah, working with an idiot is hard, but I've done it for seven years - I think CART could have managed it too).

Doesn't everyone agree that when Sam Posey, Jackie Stewart, McKay, Paul Page (and whoever else was on today) talked about Indy's greatness, they weren't crossing their fingers like now? Hearing these guys now is like hearing someone tell Rosie O. that she's not fat... just big-boned. Deep down inside, surely they can see what a mess George made.

But I'm glad I got them all on tape. And the sniz-fit between Unser and Mario was very entertaining.

cartmanoz
05-26-03, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Hearing these guys now is like hearing someone tell Rosie O. that she's not fat... just big-boned.

You're not big-boned, you're big-assed! Dinosaurs are big-boned! Put the fork down!

Sorry, just remembering some of my Denis Leary...:cool: