PDA

View Full Version : Green Prix USA

NismoZ
10-19-08, 09:04 AM
www.GreenPrixUSA.com :)

opinionated ow
10-19-08, 10:04 AM
Do you get free marijuana with your tickets?

devilmaster
10-19-08, 11:36 AM
here's hopin johnston is a cajillionaire and is willing to waste alot of money. :\

pchall
10-19-08, 11:59 AM
Do you get free marijuana with your tickets?

Wouldn't free doobies and boxes of brownie mix be more entertaining that free corn licker?

Methanolandbrats
10-19-08, 01:07 PM
:yuck:

G.
10-19-08, 02:12 PM
So what shall we call this new savior of AOWR?

One Amigo doesn't sound right.

Loan Wolf?

Broke-Buck Mogul?

Please don't let him kill Atlantics.

Insomniac
10-19-08, 02:34 PM
This will be an opportunity to see if anyone wants to invest in "green".

dando
10-19-08, 03:59 PM
@ last! A Savior has come! :gomer: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

STD
10-19-08, 05:25 PM
Loan Wolf?

I like this one the best... :laugh: :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
10-19-08, 06:12 PM
Green and racing should never be mentioned together. The point of racing is lap as quickly as possible. BFD if the car splits your eardrums and emits a toxic cloud while doing it. There is no better smell than a blend of leaded racing fuel, brake pad dust, tire smoke and scorched oil from a motor explosion. One of my fondest memories was Richard Petty's motor letting go right in front of me at Martinsville. The deep base boom of the bottom dropping out, the scorched glistening pool of oil, the brakes locked and cars piling into each other in a yellow cloud of tire smoke. It was a glorious moment and there was nothing green about it. :mad: Using unleaded fuel is green enough. :thumbup:

pchall
10-19-08, 07:30 PM
link (http://www.openwheelworld.net/us/news/6438/Atlantics_look_forward_to_2009_and_beyond/)

Johnston, whose [sic :shakehead ] been known to get behind the wheel himself, first came into the spotlight earlier this year when he purchased a number of Champ Car chassis during the bankruptcy liquidation sale following the dissolution of Champ Car. At the time of the purchase, he told the associated press he was looking to start a "green" racing series that would run environmentally-friendly motors, promoting eco-friendly, alternate solutions.

Already in possession of 17 Reynard chassis, he plans to combine his collection into a two-class series (DP01 class & Reynard/Lola class) reportedly to be called 'Green Prix' which he is planning to kick off in 2009 with 2 or 3 events in conjunction with the Atlantics, beginning with a new event in Savannah, Georgia.

While many are getting ahead of themselves as to the scale, scope and nature of the series, speculating that he is looking to create the "new Champ Car", Johnston told Autosport: "I intend to create an arrive-and-drive type schedule where I own and prepare all the cars. The plan is to tune the engines in the Panoz down to 650bhp and the Reynards down to 500bhp."

Whether this is the seedling for major new open wheel series or the beginning of a showcase for gentlemen racers & hobbyists, it will be nice to see those machines back on track and out of moth balls.

nissan gtp
10-19-08, 07:48 PM
sounds amazingly stupid :rolleyes:

if you want to race for real, get in an existing series

it you want to play rich-guy with fast cars, do HSRC or SVRA

STD
10-19-08, 10:03 PM
Well stated.

mapguy
10-20-08, 05:24 AM
Green and racing should never be mentioned together. The point of racing is lap as quickly as possible. BFD if the car splits your eardrums and emits a toxic cloud while doing it. There is no better smell than a blend of leaded racing fuel, brake pad dust, tire smoke and scorched oil from a motor explosion. One of my fondest memories was Richard Petty's motor letting go right in front of me at Martinsville. The deep base boom of the bottom dropping out, the scorched glistening pool of oil, the brakes locked and cars piling into each other in a yellow cloud of tire smoke. It was a glorious moment and there was nothing green about it. :mad: Using unleaded fuel is green enough. :thumbup:

Post of the month. :thumbup:

emjaya
10-20-08, 07:44 AM

:thumbup::thumbup:

Insomniac
10-20-08, 08:35 AM

I get your ooint, but aren't these days over for OWR? The focus hasn't been faster and faster, but slower and safer. A wall has been hit and now the focus is shifted into hitting that performance wall as efficiently as possible.

extramundane
10-20-08, 10:04 AM
I'm going to stand by my original statement and suggest that these cars will never turn wheel #1, thus making it the greenest race series ever.

Has anyone registered GreenPrixFanatics.com yet?

opinionated ow
10-20-08, 11:07 AM
I'm going to stand by my original statement and suggest that these cars will never turn wheel #1, thus making it the greenest race series ever.

Has anyone registered GreenPrixFanatics.com yet?

I'm thinking of registering chickencrapwagon.com or manurewagon.com

doesn't get much greener than chicken s&%^

Mike Lawler
10-20-08, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=extramundane;244208]I'm going to stand by my original statement and suggest that these cars will never turn wheel #1, thus making it the greenest race series ever.

So checking my MAPQUEST what racetrack is located in SAVANNAH? The closest I find is in Bloomingdale ( West of Savannah) named "Roebling Rd. Raceway" a NON-SPECTATOR TRACK ( from their web site) with running water, mens/ womens bathrooms.
Say its not so.....

dando
10-20-08, 02:28 PM
So checking my MAPQUEST what racetrack is located in SAVANNAH? The closest I find is in Bloomingdale ( West of Savannah) named "Roebling Rd. Raceway" a NON-SPECTATOR TRACK ( from their web site) with running water, mens/ womens bathrooms.
Say its not so.....

IIRC, it's on an island just off Savannah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchinson_Island,_Georgia

Totaling approximately 2,000 acres (8.1 km2), Hutchinson Island was targeted as the site for a public-private partnership to build a convention center and hotel.[4] Chatham County voters approved spending $63 million in public special-purpose local-option sales tax money for the trade center and $10 million for the road system on the island. The Savannah International Trade and Convention Center and the Westin Savannah Harbor Resort were built.[5][6] In addition, the state of Georgia provided $18 million, and former land owner CSX railroad donated 25 acres for the public trade center.[7]

Public monies also helped build a sanctioned Champ Car-style road race track, and sanctioned Indy Lights races were organized.[8] The track has since closed, but there is ongoing interest in reopening it and attracting sanctioned races.[9]

While much of Hutchinson Island has been trade convention and resort-oriented in the past, the island's first residential community is under way, The Reserve at Savannah Harbor, and plans are being drawn to develop the riverfront into a mixed-use, urban extension of Savannah.[10]

The Georgia Ports Authority and International Paper still own undeveloped tracts of land on the far west end of Hutchinson Island.[7]

Lots of development going on in Savannah now.

-Kevin

extramundane
10-20-08, 02:32 PM
Say its not so.....

The Hutchinson Island course (of 1997 Indy Lights fame) was revived for historic racing this fall (there's an event in 2 weeks, I bleev), so I would assume this is the course in question.

I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

Tim
10-20-08, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a waste of money to me. Turning the HP down to GP2 levels turns me off right there.

pchall
10-20-08, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a waste of money to me. Turning the HP down to GP2 levels turns me off right there.

Two classes of single-seaters running at on one time does seem rather silly these days, especially when both chassis at one time were top level cars now only differentiated by boost level.

Gnam
10-20-08, 03:18 PM
Carbon Offsets with every ticket!

As long as he keeps Atlantics a competitive and diverse driver's series, he can do WTF he wants with those old cars.

Elmo T
10-20-08, 03:39 PM
While many are getting ahead of themselves as to the scale, scope and nature of the series, speculating that he is looking to create the "new Champ Car"...

I wonder why.... from their website:

GreenPrix USA's ultimate goal is to bring back premiere open wheel racing at all levels that reflects the purest racing values that the fans and drivers love.

:rolleyes:

Mike Lawler
10-20-08, 08:40 PM
I wonder why.... from their website:

:rolleyes:

Given the current financial environment where even the glorious redneck parade can't assure that they'll have complete sponsorship and may be unable to field a full collection of 43 starters for all their events, I'd say the folks who are planning to operate the Green Prix are day-dreaming. Not much chance of this ever getting off the ground.