PDA

View Full Version : Marty Roth Situation

TedN
10-18-08, 10:54 AM
Interesting Read (http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/419845)

Ted

G.
10-18-08, 11:05 AM
In 2005, to fill out the field at Long Beach, Champ Car talked one of its Formula Atlantic owners into running a guy nobody had ever heard of. A total nobody.

"I don't have a Champ Car," said the Atlantic owner. "We'll get you one," said Champ Car.

"I don't have that kind of money (to run a Champ Car)," the Atlantic owner said. "We'll reimburse you," said Champ Car.

So they got him a Champ Car all right – a show car that had been on display in Montreal. They also got him an engine from the manufacturer that happened to be owned by Champ Car.

The Atlantic owner ran the guy in the Long Beach Grand Prix, but he emptied his bank account in the process.

Champ Car had a field, so they were happy. Nobody has heard of the driver since. The Atlantic owner is still waiting for the money that was promised to him.

Who?

Back to Roth, I guess nothing that the bosses of racing (all racing) do surprises me.

devilmaster
10-18-08, 11:14 AM
not surprising...

he joins the list of teams that the irl conviently forgot about when the big teams started rolling in.

interesting to see he's still with his wife margaret....

not sure if everyone can see this, might only be canadians...
but anyways, hit up http://www.foodtv.ca/theheat/videos.aspx

Look through season 1 of 'the heat' and watch the videos of distillery wedding. ;)

dando
10-18-08, 11:14 AM
Who?

Back to Roth, I guess nothing that the bosses of racing (all racing) do surprises me.

My guess is Jensen w/del Monte.

On another side note, I can't believe the CCWS site is still up. :saywhat:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Results/SessionResults.asp?ID=1425

-Kevin

nrc
10-18-08, 01:29 PM
No more Tonybucks for Marty. Boo hoo. Who could have ever predicted it?

G.
10-18-08, 02:30 PM
Did anyone ever bring the head of Fabrizio Del Monte?

dando
10-18-08, 02:46 PM

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=97611&postcount=9

:D

:cry:

-Kevin

JT265
10-18-08, 04:55 PM

We tried, but he seemed to want to keep using it for a while. Go figure. :\

On topic, unless Party Hearty Marty has a ginormous family, he ain't gonna draw flies in Canada, being the hack that he is.

swift
10-18-08, 06:31 PM
No Marty in '09?
:cry: there...is...no...justice

:gomer:

redmist
10-18-08, 11:34 PM
Who?
In 2005, to fill out the field at Long Beach, Champ Car talked one of its Formula Atlantic owners into running a guy nobody had ever heard of. A total nobody.

"I don't have a Champ Car," said the Atlantic owner. "We'll get you one," said Champ Car.

"I don't have that kind of money (to run a Champ Car)," the Atlantic owner said. "We'll reimburse you," said Champ Car.

So they got him a Champ Car all right – a show car that had been on display in Montreal. They also got him an engine from the manufacturer that happened to be owned by Champ Car.

The Atlantic owner ran the guy in the Long Beach Grand Prix, but he emptied his bank account in the process.

Champ Car had a field, so they were happy. Nobody has heard of the driver since. The Atlantic owner

why would champcar be promising the guy money? tell him to call tony and pick up a check. cc was dead and buried at that point.

cameraman
10-19-08, 12:40 AM

Seems he is still using it. He was driving in the FIA GT2 championship this year for Kessel Racing. He drove the first 7 rounds and then probably ran out of money.

Check this operation out Kessel Racing brochure (pdf file) (http://www.kesselracing.ch/Kindness/LorisKessel/assets/BROCHURE_KESSEL_RACING.pdf) Wanna rent a Ferrari F430 in the FIA GT2 Championship? It'd be fun if a tad spendy:eek:

NismoZ
10-19-08, 09:11 AM
So, how did Marty's qualifying times compare to Milkers?

Rogue Leader
10-19-08, 01:28 PM
The best was the massive line of BS from Jensen about how this was just the beginning and they are gonna have something going on all season, and Fabrizio was a "hired gun", and all that crap. He talked and talked up until LB and then it ended...

Wally
10-19-08, 08:08 PM
WTF is Marty Roth and why should anyone care.......:confused:

Methanolandbrats
10-19-08, 08:12 PM
WTF is Marty Roth and why should anyone care.......:confused:
Who? If Milka was from Canada and had nuts she would be Marty. Why? nobody does.

pchall
10-19-08, 10:37 PM
I hear that after the sex change operation Fabrizette Del Monte has bigger tomatoes than Mike Duno.

Andrew Longman
10-20-08, 11:13 AM
The thing I'm most interested in is what is this about "letting" him drive?

Either he has a license or he doesn't.

Either he is eligible for the TEAM money or he is not. Presumably you have to run the full season to get the money and that money is necessary to run the season.

Obviously they are concerned about his competence and safety. Then make the call. They want his car but will compromise safety if he needs to be in the car for a few races to make it work financially? Sheeze

pchall
10-20-08, 12:20 PM
So, how did Marty's qualifying times compare to Milkers?

Most og the qualifying data may be found in the Foyt Futility Watch threads... I don't care enough to go do the abstracts myself. If memory serves, Milka and Marty were always way back with Marty one or two places in front of her.

TKGAngel
10-20-08, 12:32 PM
I know that the "your demographic is as an owner" line is a bunch of BS, but how much of a case would Roth have against the IRL if Jeemy (who's only a couple years younger than Marty) decided he wanted to hop in a car for a race or two?

pchall
10-20-08, 03:35 PM
I know that the "your demographic is as an owner" line is a bunch of BS, but how much of a case would Roth have against the IRL if Jeemy (who's only a couple years younger than Marty) decided he wanted to hop in a car for a race or two?

Has Marty ever won anything? Nope. What about Vasser? Yep.

"What the hell is an `owner demographic?' I'll tell you what it is, it's ageism. It's age discrimination. So I told Jim there was no way I was going to do that."

A case might be made that Mario drove a full champ car season at 54 and won a race at 53 ... nevermind.

Too bad Marty feels used and abused, but he did want to spend his money.

emjaya
10-20-08, 05:09 PM
Is Marty really that bad a driver? Does he take people out with stupid moves or is he just a mobile chicane that gets in the road occasionally?

Is it him or the car, or a bit of both?

Note: I have not seen more than a 10 second 6 o'clock news snip of an IRL race, and then mostly crashes :rolleyes:, since the 2005 Indy 500.

Wheel-Nut
10-20-08, 05:40 PM
Is Marty really that bad a driver? Does he take people out with stupid moves or is he just a mobile chicane that gets in the road occasionally?

Is it him or the car, or a bit of both?

Note: I have not seen more than a 10 second 6 o'clock news snip of an IRL race, and then mostly crashes :rolleyes:, since the 2005 Indy 500.

I don't think he is that bad of a driver but he is S L O W.

Rogue Leader
10-21-08, 07:57 AM
I don't think he is that bad of a driver but he is S L O W.

Yeah he generally keeps it off the wall, and if he does wreck its the same as anyone else would.

Milka and Danica are MUCH more detrimental to the health of the field than marty roth.

NismoZ
10-21-08, 10:12 AM
"...with Marty one or two places in front of her." Just as I suspected, a simple case of gender discrimination! Maybe she has more money?:D