PDA

View Full Version : Off to get my racing license.

FTG
10-16-08, 12:12 PM
And I know this will impress you: the same school where Danica Patrick got hers.:eek:

Any advice?

Methanolandbrats
10-16-08, 12:34 PM
Prepare yourself for the shock of how much it costs to race anything. :D

Sean Malone
10-16-08, 12:54 PM
Go fast and don't hit anything. Sounds like fun.

Does anyone know where I can get 'flush' earplugs like the pros use? I've been using those disposable foam plugs and they suck. I've looked everywhere but can't find anything that resembles what I see the pros use.

dando
10-16-08, 01:00 PM
Go fast and don't hit anything. Sounds like fun.

Does anyone know where I can get 'flush' earplugs like the pros use? I've been using those disposable foam plugs and they suck. I've looked everywhere but can't find anything that resembles what I see the pros use.

Like these?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Main+Gate/863/NNV20/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/photos/863NNV20.gif

-Kevin

Gnam
10-16-08, 01:11 PM
You can get custom ear plugs made for around $50. Try a local audiologist's office.

FTG
10-16-08, 02:23 PM
Prepare yourself for the shock of how much it costs to race anything. :D

That's why I want the license. So I can pull it out, look at it and say "I could if I wanted to.."

FTG
10-22-08, 11:29 AM
never assume that someone in a race car can't possibly be that stupid. Other than that, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

SteveH
10-22-08, 01:57 PM
never assume that someone in a race car can't possibly be that stupid. Other than that, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

needs more details :)

dando
10-22-08, 02:06 PM

I've watched way too much racing to know that stupid is never unpossible on the track. :( :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
10-22-08, 02:38 PM
I've watched way too much racing to know that stupid is expected on the track. :( :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Fixered that for you:D

FTG
10-22-08, 03:24 PM
I figured out the entrance to the straightaway. I don't mean I hit it a little bit faster than the other students. I mean I nailed it within a tenth or two of the instructor, getting the pedal to the floor about 40 or 50 feet sooner than I ever had before. The engine roared like I'd never heard before. It was the fastest I ever accelerated in my life. There was nothing between me and the very early breaking I knew needed to do except one guy who'd been told about 20 times that there was absolutely no blocking under any circumstances.

I was going 25 to 30 K an hour faster than him and overtook him at the kink where it is extremely difficult to lift. He'd been told about 20 times there was absolutely no blocking. You can guess the rest.

(Would made it it I had remembered that the left front in a formula car is just a little bit closer to the grass than it is in my everyday car.)

nissan gtp
10-22-08, 05:03 PM
I figured out the entrance to the straightaway. I don't mean I hit it a little bit faster than the other students. I mean I nailed it within a tenth or two of the instructor, getting the pedal to the floor about 40 or 50 feet sooner than I ever had before. The engine roared like I'd never heard before. It was the fastest I ever accelerated in my life. There was nothing between me and the very early breaking I knew needed to do except one guy who'd been told about 20 times that there was absolutely no blocking under any circumstances.

I was going 25 to 30 K an hour faster than him and overtook him at the kink where it is extremely difficult to lift. He'd been told about 20 times there was absolutely no blocking. You can guess the rest.

(Would made it it I had remembered that the left front in a formula car is just a little bit closer to the grass than it is in my everyday car.)

way to go, PT :D

SteveH
10-22-08, 05:41 PM
way to go, PT :D

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

FTG
10-22-08, 06:47 PM
There are two kinds of racers; those who have crashed and those who are going to. But not that many can say they've taken a wheel off without actually hitting anything. :eek:

oddlycalm
10-22-08, 07:13 PM
Good on you. About as much fun as you can have legally. Makes for great stories as well. :thumbup:

oc

Rogue Leader
10-22-08, 08:05 PM
Nice, got mine a few years ago. Wanted to go Grand Aming and Star Mazdaing... then the whole no sponsor thing put an end to that. Still after $10,000 worth of track days etc it was worth every penny!

FTG
10-23-08, 02:43 PM
makes for great stories as well. :thumbup:

oc

Yep. Lots of people have gone faster, not too many have gone faster backwards.:D

Think I'll do some arrive and drive karting plus lapping once or twice a year. Hope that scratches the itch because it's about all I can afford.

it was worth every penny!

And God bless every wife who doesn't ask about repair charges.

oddlycalm
10-23-08, 03:22 PM
Yep. Lots of people have gone faster, not too many have gone faster backwards.:D

Think I'll do some arrive and drive karting plus lapping once or twice a year. Hope that scratches the itch because it's about all I can afford.

People spend considerably more on flying and a lot of other things and you only live once.

oc

opinionated ow
10-23-08, 07:27 PM
People spend considerably more on flying and a lot of other things and you only live once.

oc

100k AUD so far for a frozen ATPL abd MECIR (yesterday!)

Rogue Leader
10-24-08, 12:41 AM

Oh I took out the suspension on a Skip Barber car coming into the back straight at Limerock, I had an unfortunate meeting with the hill (I blame it on the rain!). $6,000 worth of damage, lucky they don't charge you for it during the 3 day license school. They definitely lost money on me!

FTG
10-24-08, 10:32 AM
Oh I took out the suspension on a Skip Barber car coming into the back straight at Limerock, I had an unfortunate meeting with the hill (I blame it on the rain!). $6,000 worth of damage, lucky they don't charge you for it during the 3 day license school. They definitely lost money on me!

Unfortunately, my school had charges on day three. I just got the damages in the mail. I did double the maximum, so I look at that as a two-for-one sale. :D They threw in a couple of free lapping sessions next year because of the idiot who blocked me.

I was a little disappointed to find out my crash didn't make the all-time top 10; apparently to be really memorable you need to flip upside down.