PDA

View Full Version : INDY is dead after this year's event, says Gold Coast MP

SurfaceUnits
10-08-08, 10:51 PM
October 8th, 2008
INDY is dead after this year's event, says Gold Coast MP Steve Ciobo.

The Federal Opposition MP for Moncrieff said a source close to the event had confirmed to him that the Indy Racing League had absolutely no intention of racing in Surfers Paradise beyond 2008.

Blaming the State Government for the death of Indy, Mr Ciobo accused Sports Minister Judy Spence of bungling negotiations in the US earlier this year with IRL bosses to retain the Surfers event beyond 2008, by failing to get agreement on a date change.

"The Government has completely dropped the ball on this, the biggest event to the Gold Coast," said Mr Ciobo.

"Her trip was a complete failure in securing the (Surfers Paradise) event for the future."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/10/08/17239_gold-coast-indy.html

cameraman
10-08-08, 11:38 PM
Has Steve Ciobo ever seen an IRL race or is he what the Aussies refer to as a drongo?

Cam
10-09-08, 12:06 AM
Has Steve Ciobo ever seen an IRL race or is he what the Aussies refer to as a drongo?

Need to ask a bananbender. Yo em!

TravelGal
10-09-08, 12:25 AM
As IF they would have gotten "agreement on a date change." Tohnee didn't want to go there so if they had agreed on a date change he would have asked for a huge fee and if they had agreed to that he would have asked for something else. cf. F1.

opinionated ow
10-09-08, 12:39 AM

Who is he? The only state poli from queensland that we hear about regularly is Anna Bligh (the premier) who is some sort of love child of Australia's chief smarmy git.

emjaya
10-09-08, 10:19 AM
October 8th, 2008
INDY is dead after this year's event, says Gold Coast MP Steve Ciobo.

The Federal Opposition MP for Moncrieff said a source close to the event had confirmed to him that the Indy Racing League had absolutely no intention of racing in Surfers Paradise beyond 2008.

Blaming the State Government for the death of Indy, Mr Ciobo accused Sports Minister Judy Spence of bungling negotiations in the US earlier this year with IRL bosses to retain the Surfers event beyond 2008, by failing to get agreement on a date change.

"The Government has completely dropped the ball on this, the biggest event to the Gold Coast," said Mr Ciobo.

"Her trip was a complete failure in securing the (Surfers Paradise) event for the future."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/10/08/17239_gold-coast-indy.html

Ok, thing to note is that this tool is the "Federal Opposition MP for Moncrieff", so he is not a state member. He is also a Liberal party member and that in Queensland the Labor party is in power at the moment, and in power federaly , so this is just one side of politics point scoring off the other. Pond scum, the lot of them. Ciobo is just getting his name in the paper, least everybody forgets who he is.

As for what he said, there was never a chance of Surfers going ahead next year, eveyone knew that. Nothing they did was going to change that.

The Labor government really wanted to keep it though, maybe the fact the head of the Indy corporation is a former Labor politician has something to do with it.

Audi_A4
10-09-08, 10:29 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71243Surfers Set for Long Term Future

SurfaceUnits
10-09-08, 10:29 AM
Ok, thing to note is that this tool is the "Federal Opposition MP for Moncrieff", so he is not a state member. He is also a Liberal party member and that in Queensland the Labor party is in power at the moment, and in power federaly , so this is just one side of politics point scoring off the other. Pond scum, the lot of them. Ciobo is just getting his name in the paper, least everybody forgets who he is.

As for what he said, there was never a chance of Surfers going ahead next year, eveyone knew that. Nothing they did was going to change that.

The Labor government really wanted to keep it though, maybe the fact the head of the Indy corporation is a former Labor politician has something to do with it.
well, maybe if you put on a good show this year and can keep your wimmin from PDB(public display of breasts) and hold the partying down until TOney leaves, there will be a chance

NismoZ
10-09-08, 10:30 AM
Exactly. My guess is the only major difference will be the ICS being replaced by a Beach Tractor Pull or something else to up the gate. Of course when :tony:adopts the new F-1 specs maybe they'll get back in the game.

SurfaceUnits
10-09-08, 10:31 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71243Surfers Set for Long Term Future

how many drugs do you have to take in order to be able to come up with a memorandum of understanding with mumbles?

Gnam
10-09-08, 12:41 PM
ALMS is headed to Japan and China in November. Any chance they could add Surfers?

Fio1
10-09-08, 01:32 PM
What ever. They show it on Versus at 3 a.m anyways. Who cares if it happens or not. IRL sucks.

SurfaceUnits
10-17-08, 11:00 AM
CHANNEL 7 may ultimately determine the fate of Indy on the Gold Coast.

Amid mounting speculation over the future of the Surfers Paradise race, one week out from this year's event a Channel 7 source has effectively said it has to be October or bust.

Seven's programming communications manager, Tony Stower, told The Bulletin the network could accommodate an Indy broadcast only on the two weekends of mid or late October, or February -- Queensland's most inhospitable month for weather and an unlikely option.

"February is a bit of a window, but really the (current) October date fits pretty well," he said.

V8 boss Tony Cochrane said he discussed the IRL's proposed alternative September and March dates with Indy chairman Terry Mackenroth earlier this year.

"The conversation was pretty short," said Mr Cochrane.

"They (IRL's dates) were unacceptable to us for a variety of reasons."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/10/16/17526_gold-coast-top-story.html

Kiwifan
10-17-08, 11:48 PM
I'm off. Sadly not looking forward to the event this year compared to others. :( :cry: :flame:

Rusty.

oddlycalm
10-20-08, 04:38 PM
How many times have we seen this same dance? The history of negotiations where TG doesn't want a race date are all the same. He makes sure that he arbitrarily insists on dates he knows are impossible going in. This is meant to give the appearance that someone other than him might be at fault.

No loss to Queensland IMO. The the dopey arrogance of the EARL staff combined with the way the cars being so slow in transition on a street course seem like an unbearable combination to me, and not one that translates well outside of the US flyover states. I don't see it being a fit for Long Beach either.

oc

dando
10-20-08, 05:12 PM
Pardon me for being lazy, but is this sucker even on TeeVee?

-Kevin

High Sided
10-21-08, 11:43 AM
10:30PM-12:30AM eastern

ESPN-CL

IRL IndyCar Series Nikon Indy 300, Surfers Paradise, Australia, Oct 26/08, L

shaggy_socal
10-22-08, 05:15 PM
Wouldn't it be a trip if after this year's race Tony falls in love with Surfers Paradise and wants to continue racing there, but the Aussie's have a change of heart after witnessing the spectacle that is the IRL.
:)

SteveH
10-22-08, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't it be a trip if after this year's race Tony falls off his balcony at the hotel.

Yes, yes it would. :D

Gnam
10-22-08, 06:27 PM
Somebody take him deep sea fishing for great whites. Tell him everyone hunts with a .22 underwater. :tony:

nissan gtp
10-22-08, 08:06 PM
maybe he'll pull an Earhart on the way home :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
10-22-08, 09:06 PM

or a Payne Stewart or a Steve Fossett. :thumbup:

emjaya
10-22-08, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't it be a trip if after this year's race Tony falls in love with Surfers Paradise and wants to continue racing there, but the Aussie's have a change of heart after witnessing the spectacle that is the IRL.

The QLD government are going all out to keep this thing going, report in yesterdays paper said a helicopter was available for the IRL executives if they wanted a scenic joyflight over the Gold Coast. :irked:

cameraman
10-22-08, 11:05 PM
Any opportunity for a crash...

Stu
10-23-08, 01:18 PM

or a Payne Stewart or a Steve Fossett. :thumbup:

Any opportunity for a crash...

wow you guys really are a$$h0les.

edit: lame typing merely due to filters.

G.
10-23-08, 01:29 PM
The QLD government are going all out to keep this thing going, report in yesterdays paper said a helicopter was available for the IRL executives if they wanted a scenic joyflight over the Gold Coast. :irked:Fans of Robin Miller?

(yes, Stu. You can add me to the list. ;))

Methanolandbrats
10-23-08, 02:21 PM
Fans of Robin Miller?

(yes, Stu. You can add me to the list. ;)) Me too!

Opposite Lock
10-23-08, 03:04 PM
wow you guys really are a$$h0les.

Technically I'm a Dick.:thumbup: But you taint far off. :D

NismoZ
10-23-08, 03:08 PM
For all those here hoping for failure in OZ there are many there working very hard to find a way for the "Indy" to remain Indy. Granted the V-8s are the main draw, in actuality the "feature" Sunday race but it's tough to see tradition (and maybe $$) go away. I still think :tony: worries the dang thing will become TOO popular and threaten his little kingdom but no way it will survive as a mere non-points race beyond this year. Penske has already spoken for the masses saying he won't be back in '09 if that's the case. Just put it in the spring next to Motegi and be done with it!

cameraman
10-23-08, 03:15 PM
Just put it in the spring next to Motegi and be done with it! That would be the fall and from what I understand a rather damp time of year on the Gold Coast.

NismoZ
10-23-08, 03:52 PM
True, but the best compromise out there that I can see. Any worse than RA in mid-late September? (See, you DO care...coming up with cons and more cons!:))

Andrew Longman
10-23-08, 04:06 PM
Just put it in the spring next to Motegi and be done with it!

Just keep it where it is and pay points. Its worked fine for years. Stop dicking with it.

If they want the season to end on US soil well than make that happen. If they are worried about going up against part of the NFL season, well, then they are screwed anyway because the don't have to beat the NFL but just create sufficient sponsor value for the teams and TV to make it work.

If they can't do that then the whole thing should just be rolled up and put out with the trash anyway.

What they are doing is breaking a successful event to fix a different problem with the IRL.

dando
10-23-08, 04:13 PM
Just put it in the spring next to Motegi and be done with it!

Can't do that. Too close to the Ozzie F1 race.

-Kevin

emjaya
10-23-08, 05:31 PM
It was Montegi that wouldn't move for Long Beach and now they want Surfers to move for them. A-holes. :irked:

O/T: Only three drivers mentioned by name on the six o'clock news,

Will Power, Toowoomba born, wants to win for Australia, blah, blah, blah,

Danica Patrick, the princess, the girl in the mans world blah, blah crap

and Helio, the Taxdodger, on bail for tax evasion.

:rofl:

Robstar
10-23-08, 09:16 PM
It was Montegi that wouldn't move for Long Beach and now they want Surfers to move for them. A-holes. :irked:

O/T: Only three drivers mentioned by name on the six o'clock news,

Will Power, Toowoomba born, wants to win for Australia, blah, blah, blah,

Danica Patrick, the princess, the girl in the mans world blah, blah crap

and Helio, the Taxdodger, on bail for tax evasion.

:rofl:

We only got "Will Power - Team Australia" down here this morning... :)

NismoZ
10-24-08, 11:43 AM
Big to do with sponsor, Bartercard. Sounds like it's over for '09 and nobody wants to say anything 'til after the race. Maybe the League can replace it with a 2nd major race in Iowa.:eek:

SurfaceUnits
10-24-08, 12:35 PM
The Aussies have been rescued from further defilement by the douche bags from mindy [effinEh]

Despite the attention the series is getting in the land down under, the prospects of returning remains dubious. The series has financial and scheduling concerns. While the promoter paid the frieght for a limited number of crew and other team members to come over, some IRL teams were forced to pay almost $100,000 for flight tickets alone to get the rest of their team members over. Other teams are making due with skeleton crews. There is also a scheduling problem. It makes no sense for the IRL to crown its champion at an off-hour on the other side of the globe, but moving the race up a month would conflict with soccer season, which is a much bigger deal in Australia than racing.

NismoZ
10-24-08, 05:01 PM
Gore rages in saying :tony: is getting bad advice from his underlings. Gee, ya think? Says he's out if the League jumps. One ICS team complains and says it cost them 100k alone for hotel only! Holy crap, which one was THAT!:eek:

SteveH
10-24-08, 05:04 PM
The young Anton is finding out that his dream of sitting on top of the sport also means he's got to deal with this. I couldn't be happier for him. ;)

pchall
10-24-08, 07:34 PM
That would be the fall and from what I understand a rather damp time of year on the Gold Coast.

All I've read says that the folks on the Gold Coast want the same time frame for the race. Moving it six months does nothing for their tourist season. March is late winter down there.

opinionated ow
10-24-08, 08:47 PM
All I've read says that the folks on the Gold Coast want the same time frame for the race. Moving it six months does nothing for their tourist season. March is late winter down there.

March is the beginning of Autumn...but still as hot as summer.

pchall
10-24-08, 11:19 PM
March is the beginning of Autumn...but still as hot as summer.

TY for correcting the OZ seasons for me. Next time I'll stand on my head and try to get it right. :)

TravelGal
10-25-08, 01:00 AM
That would be the fall and from what I understand a rather damp time of year on the Gold Coast.

Like it's dry now? Or the year stoopid Mario won? Or *most* years?

The young Anton is finding out that his dream of sitting on top of the sport also means he's got to deal with this. I couldn't be happier for him. ;)

And I couldn't agree more. ;) x 2

SurfaceUnits
10-25-08, 12:08 PM
mackenroth confirmed today that no one in Australia gives a rats ass about the IRl

cameraman
10-25-08, 05:32 PM
So who the heck is Mackenroth:confused:

TravelGal
10-25-08, 08:18 PM
mackenroth confirmed today that no one in Australia gives a rats ass about the IRl

Which only confirms my appreciation for the Aussies (no matter WHO Mackenroth is!).

In honor of what I hope will be the last time these tubs defile Surfer's I found a couple of bottles of Au (the Aussie Vineyards swill) on close out at Smart and Final today so I'll be hoisting a toast to the folks down in Oz in just a few short hours.

SurfaceUnits
10-25-08, 08:30 PM
So who the heck is Mackenroth:confused:

TERRY Mackenroth has a question for Australian motor sport fans: Who won this year's Indy Racing League championship? Does anyone know?

Anyone who answered Scott Dixon can move to the head of the class – but Gold Coast Indy boss Mackenroth is betting the queue would be pretty short.

emjaya
10-25-08, 09:56 PM
Terry Mackenroth-wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Mackenroth)

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/historical/documents/memberBio/memberImage/MackenrothTerence.jpg

Known as the Fox. ;)

opinionated ow
10-26-08, 03:05 AM
Tony Cochrane has achieved his goal of making surfers his own...V8 Supercrap has committed to Surfers for another 5 years.

Cam
10-26-08, 07:50 AM
All the pilotes and execs that I heard speak today praised the evenft and want it to continue.The only one that doesnt is :tony:,

opinionated ow
10-26-08, 08:14 AM
All the pilotes and execs that I heard speak today praised the evenft and want it to continue.The only one that doesnt is :tony:,

I tried to get into it. But I couldn't. The cars are as ugly as sin and sound awful. The surfers track is god awful. It was Penske, Ganassi, Andretti, Green etc. that I used to watch as a kid. It was Power, Dixon and Briscoe who I have been watching and following for close to 10 years. But I couldn't get the fact that they were hopelessly slow, they sounded awful and that they were the IRL out of my head...

emjaya
10-26-08, 08:33 AM
I tried to get into it. But I couldn't. The cars are as ugly as sin and sound awful. The surfers track is god awful. It was Penske, Ganassi, Andretti, Green etc. that I used to watch as a kid. It was Power, Dixon and Briscoe who I have been watching and following for close to 10 years. But I couldn't get the fact that they were hopelessly slow, they sounded awful and that they were the IRL out of my head...

They did sound horrible and the way they were lurching around over the bumps. :yuck:

Methanolandbrats
10-26-08, 08:49 AM
There is nothing like enjoying Indy Cars up close and live :D

opinionated ow
10-26-08, 08:49 AM
They did sound horrible and the way they were lurching around over the bumps. :yuck:

They were jiggling like a bugger. Twas awful.

SurfaceUnits
10-26-08, 10:05 AM
but brian riscoe said indycars were better and didn't sound no different and toney was grate.
Aussies just don't appreciate what all TOney has done for you.
accourse it could all be in your head :gomer:

stroker
10-26-08, 10:44 AM
Does Bob Jenkins have any functional application at all any more? Could he be any more useless in any activity related to motorsports?

STD
10-26-08, 12:55 PM
Was there a functional application of motorsports this weekend?

Cam
10-26-08, 05:41 PM
Was there a functional application of motorsports this weekend?

The V8's. ;)

Wally
10-26-08, 06:12 PM
I suffered through it. Besides the blasphemy of crapwagons in Surfers the high quality cell phone camera broadcast was amazing.......:shakehead

The princess lived up to her talent level again though......:laugh:

opinionated ow
10-26-08, 08:32 PM
The V8's. ;)

That's a thin red line too...The Formula 3 was.

emjaya
10-26-08, 10:44 PM
1 88 Team Vodafone Jamie Whincup Ford Falcon BF 5000 15 15 1:49.1828

1 27 Beef Eater BBQ/Yellow Tail John Martin (QLD) Dallara 2000 8 14:35.1836 8 1:47.9630R

:gomer:

Cam
10-27-08, 08:41 AM
I suffered through it. Besides the blasphemy of crapwagons in Surfers the high quality cell phone camera broadcast was amazing.......:shakehead

The princess lived up to her talent level again though......:laugh:

She hit everything but the lottery. :tony:

oddlycalm
10-27-08, 08:26 PM
the high quality cell phone camera broadcast was amazing.......:shakehead:

HIghDeFf MouseVisSIOn dewd...:tony: Which do you like better, the crawl in the middle of the screen, the stick and ball crawl or the side bars that say ESPN2 High Def while reducing the picture to 4:3....? :rofl:

oc

pchall
10-28-08, 12:04 PM
:gomer:

F3 may be the last real single-seater racing left on the planet.

opinionated ow
10-29-08, 06:30 AM
F3 may be the last real single-seater racing left on the planet.

the worst part is there are people trying to push for common chassis and engine regulations. AS a development category having to make up for your chassis/engine shortfalls, that has to be a major benefit!

G.
11-10-08, 05:37 PM
Game over, man. Game over!

faster cars to the Indy (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/gold-coast-indy-reaches-finish-line/2008/11/11/1226318596205.html)

The Gold Coast Indy 300 has been canned in favour of a new carnival featuring faster cars, Premier Anna Bligh has announced.

The new carnival will be held on the Gold Coast every October and still feature the off-track entertainment and events that lured thousands to Indy every year, she said.

Ms Bligh said the new series would feature the faster A1GP cars instead of Indy cars as well as V8 supercars.

"I am sure the A1GP will be a terrific attraction for both 'revheads' and new fans to the world of motorsport," Ms Bligh said.

"It will give a new lease of life to our event on-track with all the fun and excitement off-track also set to continue."

NismoZ
11-10-08, 06:33 PM
Not unexpected... but "faster"? The new A-1s must be quite a bit faster than before since Atlantics bested them previously with 300hp. (Monterrey) So, now they can whip up on 650s?

Gnam
11-10-08, 06:57 PM
Surfers' is Not mindy? Good. :thumbup:

poor Danica, she has to go back to those mean streets. :gomer::laugh:

opinionated ow
11-10-08, 07:09 PM
A1GP is the only spec series I can stand. But I won't be going.

Kiwifan
11-10-08, 08:37 PM
Nor I. :cry:

Rusty.

Robstar
11-10-08, 08:46 PM
Nor I...

F1 only for me for now...

pchall
11-10-08, 09:30 PM
Does Bob Jenkins have any functional application at all any more? Could he be any more useless in any activity related to motorsports?

All most a decade ago I knew Boob was increasingly irrelevant as a motorsports broadcaster. :p

Last I read about him he was supposed to become the communications director for some new sprint/midget racing association that seems to have already failed.

oddlycalm
11-11-08, 05:05 PM
Game over, man. Game over!
Predictable, but sad to see 16yrs of race history get flushed away by :tony:

oc

mueber
11-11-08, 05:55 PM
A1GP is the only spec series I can stand. But I won't be going.

If I had the money, I'd go just because Toney won't be there.

TravelGal
11-11-08, 11:08 PM
If I had the money, I'd go just because Toney won't be there.

Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. How great would it be to swarm the events he leaves to show him . ...... blah, nothing will show him.....

chop456
11-12-08, 02:45 AM
Sounds like Little Lord Idiotgrandson did his best Bernie impersonation and got a well-deserved kick in the goolies. Couldn't happen to a nicer moron.

The trick is to have a product people actually want before trying that. :tony:

patski
11-12-08, 11:41 AM
Sounds like Little Lord Idiotgrandson did his best Bernie impersonation and got a well-deserved kick in the goolies. Couldn't happen to a nicer moron.

The trick is to have a product people actually want before trying that. :tony:

How would Tony know? He has NEVER had a product fans wanted to watch.