PDA

View Full Version : FIA drops Canadian GP from F1 calendar

SurfaceUnits
10-07-08, 10:06 AM
PARIS: The Canadian Grand Prix has been dropped from the 2009 calendar, leaving North America without a Formula One race.

Governing body FIA ratified its calendar for the coming season on Tuesday and left the Canadian GP off the list for the first time since 1987.

The inaugural Abu Dhabi GP replaces the Canadian race.

The Canadian GP had been held at the Montreal track annually since 1978.

The United States GP was dropped from the F1 schedule last season.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/07/sports/CAR-F1-Canadian-GP-Dropped.php

dando
10-07-08, 10:08 AM
Follow the $$$....

:shakehead

-Kevin

Sean Malone
10-07-08, 10:17 AM
crap wagons to the rescue!!:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
10-07-08, 10:22 AM
Maybe Montreal refused to light the course. :gomer: **** you Bernie.:mad:

JLMannin
10-07-08, 10:49 AM
So, I guess this dimishes the chances that F1 is returning to the speedway in 2010.

opinionated ow
10-07-08, 10:51 AM
What the **** is wrong with the morons that run this sport? Why go host a grand prix that will be attended by 6 men and a camel in the middle of nowhere? GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Malone
10-07-08, 10:59 AM
What the **** is wrong with the morons that run this sport? Why go host a grand prix that will be attended by 6 men and a camel in the middle of nowhere? GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A rhetorical question right?

ilferrari
10-07-08, 11:32 AM

Nothing Eccletard does surprises me anymore. He would forsake all of F1's most popular and traditional venues if some Asian tycoon showed him the money. I wish he and Mosley would retire themselves, but they both still do it for personal reasons. Eccletard still takes 50% of F1's revenues for himself.

Insomniac
10-07-08, 11:37 AM
Thank goodness Montreal has the Busch Series!

cameraman
10-07-08, 11:42 AM
Well ****.

opinionated ow
10-07-08, 11:55 AM

And just to be clear that wasn't some sort of racist jibe. There literally are heaps of camels in that part of the world, and there are probably only 6 blokes interested...

Andrew Longman
10-07-08, 11:56 AM
DIE!!!

Elmo T
10-07-08, 12:30 PM
Nothing Eccletard does surprises me anymore..

Didn't he make a comment a few years back that he doesn't care if the stands are empty and no one actually attends the race - TV is #1???

Trevor Longman
10-07-08, 12:47 PM
For years now my interest in F1 and open-wheel in general has slowly declined but this just killed my interest completely. I hate all the FIA bastards who ruined the tradition, speed, and glory of Formula one.

My friend and I were talking about how outrageously long the champcar name was from 2003-2007, so I decided to come up with a long name for F1. My result:

"30 million dollars presents Bernie Ecclestone's FIA Formula 1 world championship powered by middle eastern oil money and benefiting asian city-states and nazi hookers everywhere"

Unfortunatly this is the mildly exaggerated state of F1. :shakehead

BTW, I'm in study hall so don't worry dad... ;)

Wheel-Nut
10-07-08, 01:04 PM
Bolt on body kits would make F1 a hit in North America.

oddlycalm
10-07-08, 01:11 PM
Probably 100% a money issue but I don't expect it helped that they couldn't seem to come to grips with the pavement issues.

oc

G.
10-07-08, 01:28 PM
Trevor,

So quit typing naughty words on the internet and GET TO STUDYING!!

(got your back Andrew. Just practicing for when the g.'s get to the teens)

;)

OnT, I know, that as fans, no matter WHO is in charge, and no matter HOW well they run things, many are going to bitch and complain. I get that.

But wtf is WRONG with these guys?

After you reach a certain number of billions, isn't it time to think about your legacy? Isn't it time to do the RIGHT thing?!? Maybe GROW the sport? Give those to follow something healthy to lead?

Dumbasses.

How long does Bernie and MadMax, Beyond the ThunderBone expect to be around?

Fio1
10-07-08, 01:44 PM
Makes no sense what-so-ever! I've been to 15 Grand Prix's in 10 different locations and I've never been to a city that did so much for the Grand Prix. Reminds me of Long Beach, but imagine Long Beach being the size of Montreal (more then double!). The whole town was into it; shows in down town, street parties, etc. Great event outside of the track. And, great event at the track as well. Better then Spa, Magny Cours, & Hockenheim who are still on the schedule. :shakehead

I feel bad for the city of Montreal and it's people. The Grand-Prix was the marquee event. :thumdown:

NismoZ
10-07-08, 01:59 PM
Ask Flavio for his opinion. While everyone was falling all over themselves with praise for Singapore didn't he bitch about the hotels or something? He's likely overjoyed at this news. "It's not about the fans OR the racing, it's about my own personal comfort and enjoyment!":gomer: We're just that dirty stuff between their toes.

Methanolandbrats
10-07-08, 02:24 PM
For years now my interest in F1 and open-wheel in general has slowly declined but this just killed my interest completely. I hate all the FIA bastards who ruined the tradition, speed, and glory of Formula one.

My friend and I were talking about how outrageously long the champcar name was from 2003-2007, so I decided to come up with a long name for F1. My result:

"30 million dollars presents Bernie Ecclestone's FIA Formula 1 world championship powered by middle eastern oil money and benefiting asian city-states and nazi hookers everywhere"

:rofl:

Don Quixote
10-07-08, 03:40 PM
:rofl: Good one Trevor.

mueber
10-07-08, 04:49 PM
So I finally spend a buzillion dollars to go to the Canadian GP, have a great time and vow to go next year, and what happens?

I'm getting disenchanted with this sport.

emjaya
10-07-08, 04:54 PM

:laugh:, but $30 million won't get a F1 race. Try about $60 million.

Accipiter
10-07-08, 06:44 PM
Bastards.

Gnam
10-07-08, 07:02 PM
Payback's a bitch.

“We have to consider very seriously whether we want to remain part of an organisation that condones this kind of thing,” said Robert Darbelnet, president of the American Automobile Association (AAA), the biggest club within the organisation. “We don’t need the FIA,” he added.

The FIA has a complex form of internal democracy in which the size of a club’s membership does not correspond with the weight of its voting power, something Mr Mosley – a skilled political operator – used to great effect. Mr Mosley’s detractors were pointing out last night that the 103 votes cast in his favour were from clubs that, taken together, represent only 5 per cent of the ordinary membership. The AAA and the Canadian Automobile Club represent 60 per cent of the membership but had only two votes between them.
link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article4061911.ece)

Those two were among 24 leading clubs who had previously called on Mosley to resign, alongside federations from Japan, Australia, Canada, India and the Netherlands, which itself criticized smaller clubs for letting monetary issues influence their vote.
link (http://www.aol.co.nz/news/story/Max-Mosley-wins-vote-to-remain-president-but-will-he-really-be-able-to-lead-a-fragmented-FIA/334411/index.html)

Gnam
10-07-08, 07:15 PM
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them...

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Let's see if the North American associations have the guts to take on the FIA.

Indy
10-07-08, 10:45 PM
F1 is dead.

I would love to see North America form their own version of the FIA and write off the Eurowanks. Who cares now, anyway, and at least the fight would give us something to talk about.

mueber
10-09-08, 08:01 AM
For what it is worth, the manufacturers are not too pleased:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71237

NismoZ
10-09-08, 10:39 AM
Heck, yeah...they don't want to get waxed by Force India!

Fio1
10-09-08, 01:28 PM
F1 is turning into the Asian GP2 series. Come on, how many races can there be within an hour flight from each other outside of Europe? We now have Malaysia, Singapore, China and Japan. And, Bahrain, Turkey and now Abu Dhabi. Ridiculous! The fact is all these new races will be successful the first 2 or 3 years then it will fade away. And, if you saturate the market with races located right next to each other you'll lower the attendance figure dramatically. A fan from Bahrain won't need to go to Abu Dhabi and so forth. Lame. New year we'll get the Korean GP and Saudi round as well. :shakehead

The sad part is, the Canadian GP gets so many out of country visiters for this race. I doubt too many out of country visiters come in for the Bahrain, Malaysia, Chinese, Singapore or Japanese GP. :shakehead

The races should be held where the manufactures want them to be, not where that criminal Bernie wants them to be. Shouldn't that guy be in jail for the great train robbery anyways?

oddlycalm
10-09-08, 04:55 PM
The teams should walk, and do it now. They have the sponsors, cars, drivers and resources. The only thing Max and Bernie have is paper and hot air. My guess is that the world will have plenty more important issues in the coming months than protecting Bernie's entitlement and Max's paper throne. There are plenty of venues that would love an F1 race if it didn't come with a $60 million price tag. Offer to let the promoters keep Bernie's half and see how loyal they are....:laugh:

oc

Insomniac
10-09-08, 05:41 PM
Except for that pesky Concorde Agreement. :)

oddlycalm
10-10-08, 03:50 PM
Except for that pesky Concorde Agreement. :)

Agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on if multiple parties decide to ignore them. The current economic meltdown would be a perfect time for the teams to abrogate the agreement citing extraordinary conditions. The other thing they could do would be to withdraw from F1 one by one and then set up a separate series outside the FIA purview.

oc

ilferrari
10-11-08, 05:33 AM
Ecclestone gave a typically evasive, dishonest answer to explain it:

"America works in a different way," the F1 Chief Executive is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Certain world events, like Formula One in some countries or the Olympic Games, are financed by the state.

"In America they are organised by private entities, who want to make a profit even before the race has been held. It's a bit too much."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081010135240.shtml

TedN
10-11-08, 09:23 AM
This site was mentioned on the SPEED TV coverage this morning ....

Save The Canadian GP (http://www.manipef1.com/petition/)

Ted

Don Quixote
10-11-08, 10:41 AM
"In America they are organised by private entities, who want to make a profit even before the race has been held. It's a bit too much." Bernie bashing people who want to make a profit. Now I've seen everything.

Insomniac
10-11-08, 11:55 AM
Agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on if multiple parties decide to ignore them. The current economic meltdown would be a perfect time for the teams to abrogate the agreement citing extraordinary conditions. The other thing they could do would be to withdraw from F1 one by one and then set up a separate series outside the FIA purview.

oc

Bernie would absolutely litigate it long enough to block them from doing anything. Fact is, there is an agreement, and maybe they can get out of it, but it won't be easy.

miatanut
10-11-08, 07:50 PM

oc

Exactly!

miatanut
10-11-08, 07:53 PM
Bernie would absolutely litigate it long enough to block them from doing anything. Fact is, there is an agreement, and maybe they can get out of it, but it won't be easy.

I didn't see OC say anywhere that it would be easy.

Happened to J-M B. It can happen to Bernie and Max, and I hope it does.

G.
10-11-08, 08:39 PM
The sad part is, the Canadian GP gets so many out of country visiters for this race. I doubt too many out of country visiters come in for the Bahrain, Malaysia, Chinese, Singapore or Japanese GP. :shakehead

I'll try to hit either the Maylay or Singapore race next year, so Bernie's got that going for him.

Insomniac
10-11-08, 10:05 PM
I didn't see OC say anywhere that it would be easy.

Happened to J-M B. It can happen to Bernie and Max, and I hope it does.

OK, I'll be clearer. They aren't going to even try to get out of it. BE can litigate it long enough that none of the manufacturers, or even all them collectively, would find it remotely worth the battle. BE would be able to get an injunction to block anything until it is sorted out in courts. The best they will ever do is form the Grand Prix World Championship again.

miatanut
10-12-08, 01:38 AM
OK, I'll be clearer. They aren't going to even try to get out of it. BE can litigate it long enough that none of the manufacturers, or even all them collectively, would find it remotely worth the battle. BE would be able to get an injunction to block anything until it is sorted out in courts. The best they will ever do is form the Grand Prix World Championship again.

You don't need to be any more clear. It's just a difference of opinion. I saw this whole thing happen in 80/81. I see no reason why it can't happen again. It just needs enough teams to be enough pissed-off about the direction of the sport to go to war about it. Currently, much of the traditional fanbase is pretty pissed-off, but I don't see a critical mass among the teams. If we keep getting ridiculous proposals like a spec engine for everybody, we will see that critical mass of teams, Bernie and Max will be out on their ear, and F1 will move on in a new direction. Right now, I'm not seeing a lot of difference between Bernie and Max now, and J-M B then. I can definitely see change coming.

TrueBrit
10-12-08, 01:58 AM
Abu Dhabai..Turkey...Singapore..China...

Gimme a ****ing break...I was pretty brassed off watching CART being screwed into the ground by bad decisions and bad moves, but what Max the Nazi Hooker Perv and his poisoned dwarf have done to what used to be the purest form of motor sport just makes me furious..

JMB was a Grade-A tool, but I'd welcome him back with open arms right now...

This, the never-ending pursuit of $$$ over tradition and the blatant favouritism to the red cars has me ready to walk away from this...

It's as relevant and authentic as the WWE...

Max and Bernie need to shown the door...and soon.

ilferrari
10-12-08, 02:50 AM
Maybe Japan deserves two races. They have two excellent venues (Suzuka and Fuji), and a great fanbase for F1. I'm dreaming of course that Bernie Ecclestone even cares about good tracks, fans and tradition, rather than following the money trail wherever it leads.

Cam
10-12-08, 08:29 AM
Maybe Japan deserves two races. They have two excellent venues (Suzuka and Fuji), and a great fanbase for F1. I'm dreaming of course that Bernie Ecclestone even cares about good tracks, fans and tradition, rather than following the money trail wherever it leads.

There were grandstands at Fuji today that looked like an IRL attendance. :thumdown:

Insomniac
10-12-08, 12:46 PM
Abu Dhabai..Turkey...Singapore..China...

Gimme a ****ing break...I was pretty brassed off watching CART being screwed into the ground by bad decisions and bad moves, but what Max the Nazi Hooker Perv and his poisoned dwarf have done to what used to be the purest form of motor sport just makes me furious..

JMB was a Grade-A tool, but I'd welcome him back with open arms right now...

This, the never-ending pursuit of $$$ over tradition and the blatant favouritism to the red cars has me ready to walk away from this...

It's as relevant and authentic as the WWE...

Max and Bernie need to shown the door...and soon.

One thing to be said for them is that with them securing agreements with the manufacturers for multiple years, they have very much neutered the possibility of runaway power by them. Unfortunately, the manufacturers have let BE chase every penny for short term gain and Max make up rules that don't make sense. They have a limited amount of ability to protest any of it.

ilferrari
10-20-08, 06:41 AM
"It is true that we have a commercial disagreement regarding our monetary obligations, but only for 2008. This is the result of an historical difference within the contractual understanding between the two parties.

"We were working hard to resolve the matter in order to meet our 2008 obligations when Mr. Ecclestone, without notice, surprised everyone by unilaterally dropping the Canadian Grand Prix from the 2009 FIA schedule on October 7.

et voila.link (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71622)

ilferrari
11-15-08, 02:38 PM
Now China is tired of lining Bernie's pockets:

China is considering ditching its loss-making Formula One Grand Prix, according to a senior race official.

The event has been lucrative for F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone, who is believed to charge China some of the highest fees to host a race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7728866.stm

TedN
11-16-08, 07:31 PM
Calling Formula One's demands "unreasonable," Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay confirmed Sunday that the government had played its last card and that unless there's a change of heart on the part of F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone, there would be no Canadian Grand Prix race in Montreal in 2009.

Source (http://tinyurl.com/5b3nej)

Ted

Napoleon
11-26-08, 03:36 PM
NOOOooooooooooo

I never went to the USGP at Indy because I refuse to give TG one penny of my money and my plan was to go to the Canadian GP in the next few years as my first F-1 race.