PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on the 500

cart7
05-23-03, 02:42 PM
irl partner article (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/armstrong/030403.html)

DaveL
05-23-03, 02:46 PM
What's the over/under on how many posts the TenderloinForum meltdown will last before it finally gets locked?

Classic Apex
05-23-03, 02:50 PM
Niiiiiiice.

:cool:

KobySon
05-23-03, 03:03 PM
what about backing Tony's horse, espn???

Ziggy
05-23-03, 03:22 PM
That was an excellent article. Written honestly by a qualified "non fan." It was the "non fan" or as we like to call them, "place fan" that put Indy on the map. There is no doubt that the westside of Indianapolis has per capita very knowledgeable fans. Get 40 miles outside of Speedway Indiana however, and the luster has really been knocked off this event. I thought the comments "It is your father's 500" really rang home.

I sure hope he never runs into Defender, but something tells me Jim Armstrong wont be shopping for second rate T-shirts on 16th Street anytime soon. I also doubt that Mr. Armstrong could tell you what a credential is, so He wont mind not getting any. This is an article much like Robin Miller's the other day, one written by a man with passion for the sport, the other by a man who had a passing interest.

Had it not been for NASCAR at Indy, the IRL would have never gotten off the ground. The 500 will only be missed by the most loyal fans. I will go out on a limb with predictions that this woman golfer will be a bigger drawl on the television this weekend than any race, NASCAR included.

The sentiments of this article are 100% correct. The backyard barbecue's, the Memorial Day picnics where the radio is included in the festivities is a dying tradition. My parents are a perfect example, for they no longer car about the race. They can tell you who won up to about Villeneuve circa 1995....., but that's about it. Same could be said for all my siblings. We are not unique

Indy is dead, and like all things gone, they never come back

Ziggy

RaceChic
05-26-03, 07:21 PM
Which brings me to my ONLY Indy500 related purchase this weekend. That is, other than my excited grand invasion of the Speedgear booth for new CART/ChampCar gear...... I got a hat that simply says "Indianapolis 500, established 1911". Nothing else seemed to be worth saying. :shakehead