PDA

View Full Version : FOTA pondering change to race weekend

Elmo T
09-30-08, 03:37 PM
Teams considering GP weekend shake-up (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71034)

...and one proposal being floated is for the current extended practice sessions being replaced with a special, shootout-like, timed session for a cash prize....

let's cut it down to 45 minutes only, maybe you give a completely different specification of tyres, a really hard tyre, and you create a mini competition where everyone tries to set the fastest time and you give a million dollars to the winning driver

:rolleyes:

indyfan31
09-30-08, 04:03 PM
If the teams don't want waste their time doing "testing" why would they want to risk their cars and drivers on a "shootout"?

What a bizarre idea.

Methanolandbrats
09-30-08, 04:03 PM
How about Monster Trucks in the infield and a freak show behind the paddock. That will add even more to the show! What f'n idiots.

Insomniac
09-30-08, 04:09 PM
What in the world? I seriously doubt any team that could win that shootout cares about some cash. Strip down the aero and develop engines/mechanical grip!

cameraman
09-30-08, 04:41 PM
:saywhat:

Do they have any idea why people watch F1?

:irked:

STD
09-30-08, 05:08 PM
Whitmarsh earns a Briatore. :laugh:

opinionated ow
09-30-08, 09:36 PM
What a ****ing stupid idea!:flame:

The only way this would make sense is a Race of Champions event like they used to run at Brands Hatch...

Mr. Vengeance
09-30-08, 09:43 PM
How about Monster Trucks in the infield and a freak show behind the paddock. That will add even more to the show! What f'n idiots.

Nah, make 'em drift!

Methanolandbrats
09-30-08, 10:01 PM
Nah, make 'em drift!:thumbup: **** man, I like it, you should apply for an FIA job :thumbup:

Gnam
10-01-08, 01:11 AM
:saywhat:

Do they have any idea why people watch F1?

:irked:
Obviously, they think it's too popular and are determined to remedy the situation.

Sometimes I think they picked up the Three Amigos playbook at the Champ Car auction. :shakehead
* option tires
* dowtown street races
* night races
* spec engines, ECUs, Tires,
* emphasis on "atmosphere" instead of racing

madness

Rogue Leader
10-01-08, 07:46 AM
Obviously, they think it's too popular and are determined to remedy the situation.

Sometimes I think they picked up the Three Amigos playbook at the Champ Car auction. :shakehead
* option tires
* dowtown street races
* night races
* spec engines, ECUs, Tires,
* emphasis on "atmosphere" instead of racing

madness

The best part is that if they did have that playbook they should OBVIOUSLY see it doesn't work! I guess they missed that chapter....

eiregosod
10-01-08, 08:31 AM
MAXCAR

ilferrari
10-01-08, 08:32 AM
It's obvious that Eccletard and the team leaders (except Montezemelo) regard F1 as showbiz first and foremost, and as serious sport a distant second. Instead of looking after the most important elements of the sport such as driver skill, they are turning it into a circus.

JLMannin
10-01-08, 11:19 AM
I was not aware that F1 needed to be revitalized.

Methanolandbrats
10-01-08, 11:47 AM
I was not aware that F1 needed to be revitalized.
The last few seasons seemed pretty good to me. I guess Bernie is still trying to find ways to make more money even if it sacrifices racing purity.:mad:

Accipiter
10-01-08, 11:48 AM
They should name the shooutout, Who Wants to be More of a Millionaire. :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
10-01-08, 06:01 PM
Cover Bernie, his banker partners and Max in meat gravy and toss them into a big acrylic see-thru tub full of hungry rats one at a time on successive race weekends. There could be betting who would win, the big rats or the little rats. That would give the media the blood they want and it would spare the racing from being destroyed.

oc

cameraman
10-01-08, 07:21 PM
Peta would never stand for feeding those rats to Bernie.

dando
10-01-08, 07:32 PM
Peta would never stand for feeding Bernie to those rats.

Fixed dat post for ya. :)

-Kevin

robot9000
10-02-08, 10:07 AM
On Million dollars is, what? One 400th of Ferrari's annual budget? They spend more than that on Coffee Creamer :shakehead

No team is gonna let their driver go out on track, balls out, with little practice, for some prize money (wait a sec, don't they do that on Sundays anyway? I think it's called "The Race" ? :saywhat: )

Elmo T
10-02-08, 02:51 PM
From Kimi: "The fastest race laps aren't worth anything, if you don't combine them with the situation when they really count." (http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081002165245.shtml)

Maybe he means when they are worth $1,000,000.00 ;)