PDA

View Full Version : Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

High Sided
09-23-08, 09:38 AM
i can't wait!!
lPegAxc6NPA

G.
09-23-08, 04:01 PM
Speedtv's website blows. Can't find ****, too busy autoplaying videos that I don't want to see. :thumdown:

When is the race televised in the US? Speed or network?

Gnam
09-23-08, 05:21 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/program/833323

Sept.28/Speed/7:30am EST

Gnam
09-23-08, 05:35 PM
Now they say Singapore may be a wet race. How many is that this year?

Is there a record for the most wet races in a season?

edit:
2008 Season Wet races:
1. Monaco
2. France
3. Silverstone
4. Spa
5. Monza
6. Singapore?

In the last thirty years, there have been 2 seasons with as many wet races.
In 1995 there were (5).
In 2000 there were (6).

source: http://www.f1-facts.com/results/season/2008

pchall
09-23-08, 07:39 PM
Bernie and Max will insist on sprinkler systems for every circuit in F1 soon to keep the show exciting. :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
09-23-08, 08:13 PM
Bernie and Max will insist on sprinkler systems for every circuit in F1 soon to keep the show exciting. :laugh: Delete your post so those idiots don't see it and implement it. :gomer:

High Sided
09-24-08, 04:48 AM
Speedtv's website blows. Can't find ****

best place to find anything racing on tv http://www.racefantv.com/USTV.htm

indyfan31
09-24-08, 09:41 AM
Someone spent some serious time and money on that little bit of animation.

Sean Malone
09-24-08, 10:09 AM
Speedtv's website blows. Can't find ****, too busy autoplaying videos that I don't want to see. :thumdown:

When is the race televised in the US? Speed or network?

SpeedTV has become probably one of the absolute worst websites I've ever seen. Absolutely horrible. I can't even think of a site is worse.

emjaya
09-24-08, 10:20 AM
Pop quiz: who has won the Singapore Grand Prix three times?

Answer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Grand_Prix#Multiple_winners_.28drivers.2 9)

And a short film of the first SGP.:)

4sVdEcGLgTk

ferrarigod
09-24-08, 06:29 PM
Ride onboard with Nico Rosberg on the Williams simulator on the Singapore track:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/09/24/onboard-lap-of-singapore-with-nico-rosberg-on-the-williams-f1-simulator-video/#more-9825

Luca Di Montezemolo was right, this fight for F1 to get more street circuits is insane and not helpful to F1. The tracks are terrible, no matter how many Tilke turns are placed(in fact usually they get worse). Either way, I will watch, but this is just as depressing as CART on the road to obscurity(of course F1 has a much longer path than AOW).
:D

pchall
09-24-08, 10:47 PM
F1 laps at Singapore are up at YouTube.

link to a lap by Marc Webber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPegAxc6NPA&feature=related)

Methanolandbrats
09-24-08, 10:56 PM
F1 laps at Singapore are up at YouTube.

link to a lap by Marc Webber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPegAxc6NPA&feature=related)
I think I've seen that before :D

ferrarigod
09-25-08, 12:05 AM
:tony: check out the my onboard :tony:

Robstar
09-25-08, 01:09 AM
Here's a better version...

http://www.redbullracing.com/4th-Sector/Webber-Singapore/

Indy
09-25-08, 01:23 AM
SpeedTV has become probably one of the absolute worst websites I've ever seen. Absolutely horrible. I can't even think of a site is worse.

Surely you jest, Mr. Short Memory. :champcar.ws:

grungex
09-25-08, 07:55 AM
^^^
I strongly disagree. It may have been a bit cluttered, but I never had a bit of trouble finding any information within one or two clicks. Unlike the Inheritor's Sham League site, where just trying to find lap times results in a session of needless frustration.

ilferrari
09-25-08, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't expect the event to look too much like the glitzy simulations. I drove around the course exactly a year ago in a road car. About a third of it(the pits and surrounding area) is built on nondescript reclaimed land. The rest of it kindof skirts the city. The best part of the city is down the road.

High Sided
09-25-08, 11:58 AM
I think I've seen that before :D

does look familiar;)

here is a good clip on the track construction.
d6k_uvYcxu4

ferrarigod
09-25-08, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't expect the event to look too much like the glitzy simulations. I drove around the course exactly a year ago in a road car. About a third of it(the pits and surrounding area) is built on nondescript reclaimed land. The rest of it kindof skirts the city. The best part of the city is down the road.

at night things will probably glisten. but the track still blows. and this direction for F1 is beyond stupid. They have enough power to make governments build real tracks. No need for this stupidity.

pchall
09-25-08, 06:49 PM
^^^
I strongly disagree. It may have been a bit cluttered, but I never had a bit of trouble finding any information within one or two clicks. Unlike the Inheritor's Sham League site, where just trying to find lap times results in a session of needless frustration.

Champ Car's T&S was great and made following practice and qualifying from work easy. IRL T&S sucks donkey dix and I wind up waiting for the timing and results .pdfs just to have a bit of fun with the Foyt Futility Watch.

Gnam
09-25-08, 07:16 PM
It'd be nice if Seabass could put his past experience with night races and street circuits to good use. What happened to all his good luck?

High Sided
09-25-08, 07:46 PM
What happened to all his good luck?

go figure:\

Sean Malone
09-26-08, 09:16 AM
Champ Car's T&S was great and made following practice and qualifying from work easy. IRL T&S sucks donkey dix and I wind up waiting for the timing and results .pdfs just to have a bit of fun with the Foyt Futility Watch.

The IRL would suck the fun out of a new year's eve party at the Playboy mansion.

Methanolandbrats
09-26-08, 09:45 AM
Total POS track. Night racing is a stupid gimmick to raise cash. Take the World's quickest cars and turn em loose on a greasy, badly lit urban car flume. :shakehead Might be the first F1 race in decades that I will not waste my time watching.

racermike
09-26-08, 10:59 AM
http://mikesf1.890m.com/simulcastPlayer_02.swf

There is my link again for all F1 sessions

Gnam
09-26-08, 01:02 PM
The overpasses remind me of Vancouver. Although that bridge is mighty narrow. I don't think the track is a joke, but it does look like a video game.

Sean Malone
09-26-08, 01:15 PM
F1, being the self proclaimed and generally acknowledged pinnacle of motor sport, should compete on circuits that are built to properly accommodate the machines i.e. permanent road courses with the appropriate safety features.
Monaco being the one tip of the hat throw back 'historic' event. I agree with meth, it's pure gimmick. What's next, a little half mile oval in Nashville TN?

Methanolandbrats
09-26-08, 02:26 PM
F1, being the self proclaimed and generally acknowledged pinnacle of motor sport, should compete on circuits that are built to properly accommodate the machines i.e. permanent road courses with the appropriate safety features.
Monaco being the one tip of the hat throw back 'historic' event. I agree with meth, it's pure gimmick. What's next, a little half mile oval in Nashville TN? The few minutes of practice I watched this morning did remind me of Richmond under the lights. :gomer: No way you can drive those things 10/10ths under artificial lighting. The shadows, depth perception and everything else is totally ****ed up.

Accipiter
09-26-08, 05:36 PM
Track sucks and the pit entrance and exits are downright dangerous, but the cars look pretty under the lights. Sparkly!

Cam
09-26-08, 08:21 PM
http://mikesf1.890m.com/simulcastPlayer_02.swf

There is my link again for all F1 sessions

Bernies goons must have found your link. :gomer:

OW
09-26-08, 11:22 PM
Brilliant
I love it..
My 6am alarm is always set for Sat Morning and Sunday Morning (Saint F1 Church)

Only now ...I'll watch instead of Europe 2PM I'll watch Asian Nite

Think they did it for SpeedTV? of course not but it works out.....

But it beats watching from - I think - was midnite to 2 in the morning

OW

racermike
09-27-08, 01:12 PM
Bernies goons must have found your link. :gomer:

Not just mine, the site that the Flash file was going through as well.

Another one will pop up soon and I will host it again somewhere else

trish
09-28-08, 08:38 AM
What is wrong with these guys? How stupid.

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:17 AM
Is anyone up and chatting?

trish
09-28-08, 09:24 AM
This is getting good now that the race is winding down.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-08, 09:29 AM
Is anyone up and chatting? Sitting up, trying to stay awake watching this crap. Would'nt it be easier to just put all the drivers in a brightly lit room and draw straws to see who wins?:yuck:

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:34 AM
Sitting up, trying to stay awake watching this crap. Would'nt it be easier to just put all the drivers in a brightly lit room and draw straws to see who wins?:yuck:

So that's a no then is it?;):D

trish
09-28-08, 09:40 AM
Safety Car!

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:40 AM
Bloody hell...it's all happening now!

trish
09-28-08, 09:46 AM
This can't end well.

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:48 AM
Alonso checking out again...

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:55 AM
Kimi Stuffs it...again....

trish
09-28-08, 09:55 AM
Well there you have it. Will there be another?

Methanolandbrats
09-28-08, 09:56 AM
Kimi Stuffs it...again....
The Kimster was thinking about happy hour four laps too early. Focus till you switch it off son.

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 09:58 AM
Williams in position to have both cars in the points....blimey!

Methanolandbrats
09-28-08, 10:01 AM
Hamilton did a fine job. Ferrari sucks top to bottom.

TrueBrit
09-28-08, 10:01 AM
Wow! What a race! Team FIA scores ZERO points....Karma's a bitch right?:D

trish
09-28-08, 10:06 AM
No points, but a 12th place finish for Bourdais. I do wonder where he will be next year.

trish
09-28-08, 10:10 AM
Massa finishes another race.

OW
09-28-08, 10:33 AM
The BEST!!!! Is that Speed kept the program running well beyond 30 Minutes into Nascrap

now That's what I'm Talkin' about :thumbup:

OW

trish
09-28-08, 10:34 AM
Wish I had set the recorder an extra 30 minutes over.

Audi_A4
09-28-08, 10:39 AM
finally formula one put on a great show!

Cam
09-28-08, 12:22 PM

Finally? Did you sleep thru Spa? Post race robbery aside. :saywhat:

Insomniac
09-28-08, 02:09 PM
Well, the no refueling rule backfired horribly. It put Rosberg in the front.

And once again, teams stacking pit stops didn't think to change tires on car #2 early so that they can run the preferred tire to the end. The car is going to get stuck waiting regardless, why not switch to the crappy tire for one lap?

I think the race would've been more interesting if the SC never came out.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-08, 02:32 PM

Awful expensive way to hold an autocross.:yuck:

NismoZ
09-28-08, 02:44 PM
Sure, just leave it to the good judgement of the professional drivers when racing past that guy with the push broom and a death wish cleaning up the track for them.:rolleyes: But, you are right, that WOULD have made it more "interesting."

Insomniac
09-28-08, 03:38 PM
Sure, just leave it to the good judgement of the professional drivers when racing past that guy with the push broom and a death wish cleaning up the track for them.:rolleyes: But, you are right, that WOULD have made it more "interesting."

I assume you were talking to me. First, I was talking about the first one. Second, I wasn't saying it should not come out. Finally, I thought that the race would've been better if there wasn't one at all.

oddlycalm
09-28-08, 05:59 PM
So I'm thinking Ferrari's automated driver pit signal is a sucking chest wound at this point. Two races ruined for them and McLaren takes the lead in the constructor's standings as a result. :shakehead

Singapore wasn't bad for a street race circuit, but that's about all I can say. Impressive from a distance visually but more like arena football up close. It's clear the old men running the sport and the sponsors are more concerned about great hotels, fine dining and posh bathrooms for their frequent visits than great racing courses like Spa and Silverstone.

Alonso drove well all weekend and his bad luck in quals was erased by his good fortune in the race. It's not often you see that kind of symmetry in life...:gomer:

oc

Insomniac
09-28-08, 08:13 PM
So I'm thinking Ferrari's automated driver pit signal is a sucking chest wound at this point. Two races ruined for them and McLaren takes the lead in the constructor's standings as a result. :shakehead

Getting fancy for no good reason. I just never saw how that was really any better than a person with a lollipop. It's like Williams and their air jack in the front. It doesn't really do anything better than a manual jack. They use a manual jack in the back. It's not any faster, but it's more likely to fail.

NismoZ
09-28-08, 09:39 PM
Agreed, Insom. No, I was just cracking wise at the idea F-1 might not need to use Safety Cars because it is the pinnacle. A less than race-wise relative watching with me this AM suggested F-1 was "just like NASCAR" when the SC came out "to just bunch up the field." True, that happened but certainly not to enhance our TV viewing pleasure. But put me down as one who was glad to see this type of track on the schedule. Diversity of venues was my favorite aspect of the CART days. I gained new respect for the guy today who handled Singapore's challenges the best and came away a winner, even if I can't be counted as one of his "fans."

shaggy_socal
09-28-08, 09:44 PM
Getting fancy for no good reason. I just never saw how that was really any better than a person with a lollipop. It's like Williams and their air jack in the front. It doesn't really do anything better than a manual jack. They use a manual jack in the back. It's not any faster, but it's more likely to fail.

To quote Scotty, "The more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

As for the track design...
Too many turns and chicanery. You need two to three straights that end in sharp corners to give the drivers several passing opportunities during the lap.
Think Surfers Paradise.

ilferrari
09-28-08, 11:17 PM
I wish they would find a more sporting way to use the safety car. It's like shuffling the pieces in the middle of a chess game. They should ban refuelling and find a way to release the cars with the same time gaps they had before they safety car came out.

Insomniac
09-29-08, 12:21 AM
I wish they would find a more sporting way to use the safety car. It's like shuffling the pieces in the middle of a chess game. They should ban refuelling and find a way to release the cars with the same time gaps they had before they safety car came out.

CC had it right. Allow for only a splash, no other work on the car until pits are open.

opinionated ow
09-29-08, 12:26 AM

They just have to get rid of the stupid safety car rules that came in a year or two ago.

Rogue Leader
09-29-08, 12:55 AM

After getting burned a couple times I always add 30 minutes to every F1 recording i set on my DVR.

indyfan31
09-29-08, 09:33 AM
Total POS track. Night racing is a stupid gimmick to raise cash. Take the World's quickest cars and turn em loose on a greasy, badly lit urban car flume. :shakehead Might be the first F1 race in decades that I will not waste my time watching.

The few minutes of practice I watched this morning did remind me of Richmond under the lights. No way you can drive those things 10/10ths under artificial lighting. The shadows, depth perception and everything else is totally ****ed up.

Sitting up, trying to stay awake watching this crap. Would'nt it be easier to just put all the drivers in a brightly lit room and draw straws to see who wins?
You gotta like a guy that really sticks to his convictions. :shakehead

JLMannin
09-29-08, 10:44 AM

oc

Exactly what I was thinking. The "electronic lollipop" may very well cost them both the drivers and constructors championships. It was nice to Alonso be genuinely excited to win a race.

Methanolandbrats
09-29-08, 12:09 PM
You gotta like a guy that really sticks to his convictions. :shakehead
Well excuse me, street racing sucks. The only reason it exists is because it's easy to find five star restaurants and hotels for the pampered F1 crowd and it's easy to fill the stands with people who are too lazy to drive to a proper racing circuit.

stroker
09-29-08, 02:26 PM
Well excuse me, street racing sucks. The only reason it exists is because it's easy to find five star restaurants and hotels for the pampered F1 crowd and it's easy to fill the stands with people who are too lazy to drive to a proper racing circuit.

What was more dismaying to me was watching Varsha and Matchett waxing poetic about the virtues on the Speed Report. Oh, goody! Bernie and Max have seen the .1RL presentation and it is GOOD! Put those cars under the lights on a small track! Take that promoters fee (well, Bernie does, FTG doesn't, obviously)!

Sean Malone
09-29-08, 02:47 PM
And thus begins a new era in F1, the street party festival. Singapore was a visual smorgasbord but lacked something. I definitely felt like I was watching the future of F1 but found myself missing CART.
I'm always curious how drivers who benefit from a fortunate turn of events and are in a winning position somehow find speed that wasn't there before.

Insomniac
09-29-08, 02:50 PM
What was more dismaying to me was watching Varsha and Matchett waxing poetic about the virtues on the Speed Report. Oh, goody! Bernie and Max have seen the .1RL presentation and it is GOOD! Put those cars under the lights on a small track! Take that promoters fee (well, Bernie does, FTG doesn't, obviously)!

Everyone in the paddock was enamored by it as well.

Sean Malone
09-29-08, 02:54 PM
What's the beach volleyball equivalent for Eurotrash?:D

NismoZ
09-29-08, 04:08 PM
So, how many "proper" F-1 circuits remain? Seems to me there must be an entertainment and business aspect to F-1 just as there is/was to Moto GP, CART/IndyCar, NASCRAP or SCORE. Pardon me if I believe a wider variety of venues may equalize the competition somewhat better than rulesmakers. I have no doubt Alonso knew on Friday he had a better chance this past weekend than at any time this season based on his confidence in his own abilities not the sudden (re)emergence of his car and team. That 2nd practice session on TV Friday made that clear to me, something one doesn't normally sense unless in actual attendence. Any venue has it's flaws, any event can be improved upon and I hope Singapore can be tweaked to the satisfaction of most, including the bean counters.

Sean Malone
09-29-08, 04:22 PM
Pardon me if I believe a wider variety of venues may equalize the competition somewhat better than rulesmakers. .

Ferrari equalizes themselves. :)

Andrew Longman
09-29-08, 05:56 PM
Sorry, but I liked it. I like bumps. I like changing surfaces. I like a circuit with very little margin for error. I like the physical challenge to the driver. And yes it made me miss CART.

I did not like the Safety Car rules. It doesn't do what it is intended to do so just open the damn pits.

I did not like the T10 combo but that is fixable. I did not like the pit in and out, but that is fixable too. In general a helluvalot better than Valencia visually and race wise.

And the lights were cool. The cars and city looked fabulous and the sparks were flying. I just want to be able to see the brake rotors.

These should not replace proper historic tracks like Spa, Silverstone, Monza and the like, but then I'll take this over Bahrain, China and Malaysia. And come to think of it, my favorite tracks have always been near the cities: Melbourne, Canada, Brazil (not Indy).

JohnHKart
09-29-08, 06:06 PM

Here's my policy. After I lost the last laps of the 2007 Euro GP--which featured that fantastic Alonso pass for the lead for the win...I now set all F1 to three hours. This broadcast went the full three hours. It really sucks to lose the endings so I hear ya.

John

oddlycalm
09-29-08, 06:08 PM
What's the beach volleyball equivalent for Eurotrash?:D

Beach vollyball. :D

oc

Methanolandbrats
09-29-08, 10:53 PM
You gotta like a guy that really sticks to his convictions. :shakehead Oh ya, your boy Kimi did a fine ****ing job of bringing home the points :laugh:

indyfan31
09-30-08, 01:09 AM
Oh ya, your boy Kimi did a fine ****ing job of bringing home the points :laugh:

... which means you watched it right to the end, and then screamed at the TV when your DVR cut off the interviews. POSER. :laugh:

Sean Malone
09-30-08, 09:50 AM
I was cheering for more fuel rig eggcitment.

ilferrari
09-30-08, 10:16 AM
I'm always curious how drivers who benefit from a fortunate turn of events and are in a winning position somehow find speed that wasn't there before.

Alonso's speed was there all weekend:
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2008/801/6568/fastest_laps.html

NismoZ
09-30-08, 04:43 PM
The track.