PDA

View Full Version : Soggy Pizza - What to do?

Insomniac
09-20-08, 04:11 PM
I figure there are some fans of food network here, so probably some cooks as well. So here's my situation.

I bought a "New York Style" pizza from a local place. It's soggy in the center, so if you pick it up, the front flops and all the stuff from the front falls off. I suspect the vegetable toppings contained too much water. While the pizza does seem to be thin, the edge/crust is thick so folding it is a bit tough. Just wondering if you could bake it at a low temp in an attempt to get rid of some of the moisture? I have to re-heat it no matter what because it was way more than I can eat. I generally do that around 400F on a metal tray until the cheese is bubbling/sizzling.

Any tips?

Audi_A4
09-20-08, 04:16 PM
put it in the toaster oven at low heat and keep checking it until its perfect

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 04:26 PM
Uh, how about eating it with a fork instead of picking it up? Seems like the easy way to solve the problem :)

Insomniac
09-20-08, 04:29 PM
put it in the toaster oven at low heat and keep checking it until its perfect

What is considered low heat? 200F?

Insomniac
09-20-08, 04:30 PM
Uh, how about eating it with a fork instead of picking it up? Seems like the easy way to solve the problem :)

That's what I did at the restaurant. I figured since it will be re-heated, maybe I can make it less soggy. That is my fall back plan. Front half with knife and fork, rest by hand.

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 04:49 PM
How about putting it on a stove top griddle, kinda like making a toasted cheese, that would dry the crust and the rest would heat up too.

Insomniac
09-20-08, 04:51 PM
How about putting it on a stove top griddle, kinda like making a toasted cheese, that would dry the crust and the rest would heat up too.

My only reservation there is the crust would start to burn before the cheese really was heated up. You get to flip a grilled cheese, and I don't want to clean up the mess after flipping a slice of pizza. ;)

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 05:49 PM
My only reservation there is the crust would start to burn before the cheese really was heated up. You get to flip a grilled cheese, and I don't want to clean up the mess after flipping a slice of pizza. ;)
Griddle till crust is dry, then nuke for 30 sec to melt cheese.....the hybrid approach.

Elmo T
09-20-08, 06:16 PM
We keep a baking stone on the bottom of the oven. Heat the baking stone to about 400f and add the slice. Reheat 6-7 minutes. This is how we reheat all of our slices.

rosawendel
09-20-08, 07:22 PM
if i recall from my jersey days, that's the way it's supposed to be. the "pizza booger" in the center was the best part. if you wanted it to congeal, just let it cool.

G.
09-20-08, 09:17 PM
I go high heat. 400 degrees will dry it out, I expect. High heat will dry, low heat will not.

But my experience is with Chicago-style pizza, which is about 1.5 - 2 " thick.

But in general, high heat = dry.

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 09:22 PM
High heat on the whole piece will overcook and ruin the crust at the outer edge. I think I've got the solution, use a heat gun to dry out the inner portion and then warm the whole piece in 200 degree oven for a few minutes.:thumbup::gomer:

oddlycalm
09-20-08, 09:29 PM
We keep a baking stone on the bottom of the oven. Heat the baking stone to about 400f and add the slice. Reheat 6-7 minutes. This is how we reheat all of our slices.

Exactly, a stone and moderately high heat. We have a stone for the grill as well.

oc

STD
09-20-08, 11:01 PM
Get a refund.

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 11:12 PM
Be thankful for your leftover pizza. Soggy pizza will be a fond memory next year. After the next round of bailouts, pizza will be a luxury the average family will enjoy once a year at most.:(

dando
09-20-08, 11:43 PM
Be thankful for your leftover pizza. Soggy pizza will be a fond memory next year. After the next round of bailouts, pizza will be a luxury the average family will enjoy once a year at most.:(

Make your own. :)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-20-08, 11:48 PM
Make your own. :)

-Kevin
I do! I'm all set for the apocolypse :D I can whip out a mean soda crust in no time.................................damn, it's a lot of work keeping this pizza troll going :eek:

JLMannin
09-21-08, 02:44 PM

Reheating pizza? If it's not good cold, it's not worth eating at all!

Insomniac
09-21-08, 04:21 PM
400F in the oven did it. Took away the excess moisture (no longer "wet dough"). It still needed to be folded and/or cut with a fork/knife, but it was better. Thanks for the tips!

Stu
09-22-08, 09:29 AM
should have tossed it on the grill.

Don Quixote
09-22-08, 09:35 AM
I tried the 300 degree oven and oven stone trick last night and it worked perfectly. Thanks Elmo T! Why didn't I think of that, I have been using the microwave/eat-it-with-a-fork method for years. Doh!

Elmo T
09-22-08, 10:57 AM
I tried the 300 degree oven and oven stone trick last night and it worked perfectly. Thanks Elmo T! Why didn't I think of that, I have been using the microwave/eat-it-with-a-fork method for years. Doh!

:thumbup:

Our baking stone NEVER leaves the oven. No cleaning either - cleaning is bad - though maybe a quick scrape now and then.

I bake my own pizza on it all the time. Most important thing is to preheat the stone prior to using it. I make my pizza on parchment paper and slide it onto the hot stone.

ChampcarShark
09-22-08, 12:26 PM
:thumbup:
I bake my own pizza on it all the time. Most important thing is to preheat the stone prior to using it. I make my pizza on parchment paper and slide it onto the hot stone.

My wife makes the best homemade pizza (from scratch), using a recipe for donuts as the crust, it is chewy and firm at the same time.

The only problem is that when she is done adding ingredients it always turns out to be a deep dish pizza and a little too heavy to hold with one hand.