PDA

View Full Version : Awwww CRAP!

NismoZ
09-18-08, 11:27 AM
"Dallara will be the sole supplier of the chassis, which is currently on the drawing board." pchall called it! So, tell us, which NA big block will :tony: choose...Chrysler? (5 engine manufacturers still on board, 70% consensus, decision due in 3 mos.)

Corner5
09-18-08, 11:44 AM
5 engine manufacturers?
:laugh:

G.
09-18-08, 12:10 PM
since NismoZ appears to be allergic to posting links... (http://www.indycar.com/news/)

(it the front page, so it will get bumped when the next eggsiting newsflash snaps our sock tethers!)

dando
09-18-08, 12:35 PM
5 engine manufacturers?
:laugh:

Gots to include Briggs & Stratton..... :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Accipiter
09-18-08, 01:29 PM
That link about the Toronto race sure was useful! :thumbup:

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12577

70% consensus? I bet by the time the reach 100% they are back down to one manufacturer again.

Steve99
09-18-08, 01:43 PM

-Kevin

So using gomer math, that's two. Who are the other two?

SurfaceUnits
09-18-08, 01:56 PM
don't those guys who didn't come back for the second meeting know they are missing out on getting their brand featured in front of a dozen reindeer hunters on Versus?

rosawendel
09-18-08, 03:54 PM
My bet is the formerly abandoned MG.
Or maybe the Kia!
where are my socks, anyway?

oddlycalm
09-18-08, 04:19 PM

In addition to Honda we four other engine mfg's still on board with a 70% consensus...:tony:

http://www.innovativekarting.com/Briggs&stratton%20logo.jpg

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0006/2278/brand.gif

http://www.honkytonkoilfield.com/images/waukesha_logo.gif

http://alspowerequipment.com/images/KohlerLogo.gif

NismoZ
09-18-08, 06:19 PM
Interesting to note only automobile manufacturers represented this time, not Ilmor, Cosworth, AER etc. so all those other guys you mention are out:p...so far!

SurfaceUnits
09-18-08, 11:20 PM
not Ilmor, Cosworth, AER etc. so all those other guys you mention are out:p...so far!the engine builders might want to actually get paid for their services, that's why they aren't invited

opinionated ow
09-19-08, 12:10 AM
On the positive side, Dallara can actually make a good car. There Formula 3 cars look good, and can overtake.

cameraman
09-19-08, 01:14 AM
They have also done well with the GP2 cars.

The problem with the car lies with the fools in Indiana that spec it out.

SurfaceUnits
09-19-08, 01:44 AM
and the fact that it has to be designed to stay on the ground at your local ISC tri-oval

chop456
09-19-08, 03:19 AM

Pratt & Whitney.

Andrew Longman
09-19-08, 08:11 AM
So why would they not put the chassis out to bid, especially if is not even designed yet? And while the dollar is having some recovery, why additionally burden teams with dealing with unfavorable exchange rate?

NismoZ
09-19-08, 09:01 AM
Thus, the Awww crap. My argument is not with Dallara.

Don Quixote
09-19-08, 09:46 AM
Pratt & Whitney.

Sears & Roebuck

Sean Malone
09-19-08, 10:00 AM
I don't care if AJ Foyt himself bangs out a chassis with his qwuality tewls from a '63 Chevy as long as it's cool.

Accipiter
09-19-08, 10:30 AM
On the positive side, Dallara can actually make a good car. There Formula 3 cars look good, and can overtake.

I used to be on a private web board with a Honda F1 engine engineer who worked on the Athena program and early BAR days for their reintroduction to Grand Prix racing. Honda had contracted Dallara to build the test car for them and this engineer told us that the fit and finish of the chassis was so bad that they had to essentially rebuild the car from the ground up before they could use it. Perhaps they have improved in the past 10 or whatever years, but that's what I always think of when people talk about the quality of Dallara cars.

opinionated ow
09-19-08, 11:27 AM
I used to be on a private web board with a Honda F1 engine engineer who worked on the Athena program and early BAR days for their reintroduction to Grand Prix racing. Honda had contracted Dallara to build the test car for them and this engineer told us that the fit and finish of the chassis was so bad that they had to essentially rebuild the car from the ground up before they could use it. Perhaps they have improved in the past 10 or whatever years, but that's what I always think of when people talk about the quality of Dallara cars.

My understanding of it was Dallara's can be a little rough around the edges, but Lolas are far worse. Apparently for build quality Mygale is the best of the Euro single seater manufacturers. Dallara's cars tend to have good quality aerodynamic packages though, their Formula 3 cars have proven to be very effective in what is, F1 aside, the only true open category left.

miatanut
09-19-08, 12:59 PM
And while the dollar is having some recovery, why additionally burden teams with dealing with unfavorable exchange rate?

Because that would be logical. Two top-level manufacturers in the US, and the all-American Indy Racing League would much rather do what it can to enlarge the trade imbalance because those two have connections to that former Satan of American open wheel, CCWS.

pchall
09-24-08, 04:43 PM
I'd also suggest that giving the no bid contract to Dallara for 2011 is a sop to keep them cranking out parts and repairing tubs for two more seasons of the current nonsense.

So why would they not put the chassis out to bid, especially if is not even designed yet? And while the dollar is having some recovery, why additionally burden teams with dealing with unfavorable exchange rate?

Mike Lawler
09-25-08, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Steve99

Cox Thimble Drome?

NismoZ
10-28-08, 05:47 PM
Ol' Robin sez Audi is in "for sure" with a turbo 4 in '011 and Porsche is leaning heavily in that direction. Reading where VW has just become the biggest co. on earth (market value) with Porsche so I guess they can afford it. Alfa returning to US market so I guess they could play. Mazda falling off the radar thanks to Ford. Honda profits off 41% so...back to the Lausitzring? One engine with Audi, Porsche and VW valve covers?:confused:

cameraman
10-28-08, 06:29 PM
Alfa returning to US market so I guess they could play.

Alfa just postponed any return to the US due to economic turmoil.

Robin is grasping at straws.

Methanolandbrats
10-28-08, 07:47 PM
Cool. I've got five VWs in the driveway..........is this the rebirth of SuperVee :D Honda pussies will turn tail and run if they have competition and blame it on the "economy" or their desire to save the Planet. Tools.

NismoZ
10-29-08, 10:08 PM
Huh, I just canceled a return to Italy for the same reason!:(

opinionated ow
10-29-08, 10:23 PM
Cool. I've got five VWs in the driveway..........is this the rebirth of SuperVee :D Honda pussies will turn tail and run if they have competition and blame it on the "economy" or their desire to save the Planet. Tools.

If Honda doesn't race, there is no Honda.

cameraman
10-29-08, 10:29 PM

Bull. Do you really think the average Accord/Tercel/CR-V/Element owner gives a damn about Honda's racing?

dando
10-29-08, 10:39 PM
Bull. Do you really think the average Accord/Civic/CR-V/Element owner gives a damn about Honda's racing?

Fixed. :) And no they don't, and I have no idea what clue an Element owner has. :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
10-29-08, 10:45 PM
Ooops

Methanolandbrats
10-29-08, 10:53 PM

El Wrongo...they pulled out of F1 in the early 90s to concentrate on building "fuel efficient cars", or so they said. In reality, Renault was kicking their ass and they quit.

opinionated ow
10-29-08, 11:20 PM
Bull. Do you really think the average Accord/Tercel/CR-V/Element owner gives a damn about Honda's racing?

El Wrongo...they pulled out of F1 in the early 90s to concentrate on building "fuel efficient cars", or so they said. In reality, Renault was kicking their ass and they quit.

A quote from Saoichiro Honda himself. He didn't specify where his company would race, just that they would. And in one form or another they have continued to race. The benefits of a private company, you can do as you please.

Methanolandbrats
10-29-08, 11:25 PM
A quote from Saoichiro Honda himself. He didn't specify where his company would race, just that they would. And in one form or another they have continued to race. The benefits of a private company, you can do as you please. He died in 1991 and that was the end of it.

NismoZ
10-30-08, 08:45 AM
Fine. Since Japan seems more interested in hybrid technology and Europe is pushing the Diesel angle just mandate a race series with bio-diesel-hybrid turbo 4s? Sounds logical anyway.

Methanolandbrats
10-30-08, 09:17 AM
Fine. Since Japan seems more interested in hybrid technology and Europe is pushing the Diesel angle just mandate a race series with bio-diesel-hybrid turbo 4s? Sounds logical anyway.Honda is political animal. For the last decade they pushed hybrids in the USA while pushing diesels in Europe. Now they will begin selling their outstanding diesel in the USA. As far as a race series goes, how about a 1000 hp turbo four running on race gas :thumbup: Racing should have nothing to do with "Green", "street car technology" or any such ********. Just build something loud, scary fast and hard to drive and drop the rag.:D