PDA

View Full Version : Atlantics and NJ Motorsport Park.

Andrew Longman
09-15-08, 09:21 AM
Trev and I motored to South Jersey yesterday to check out our new home track and except for worrying that we would spontaneously combust in the heat, we had a good day.

We got there in time for 8:30 Atlantics qualifying and were hanging on the fence taking pictures when a group came over to us and asked if we were orphaned Champcar fans. One of the them had a Crapwagon shirt that I complimented and he said he and his wife are the founders of Crapwagon. Nice folks. We talked about what you would expect. They knew me from here and 7G. Later they got a nice reception from the Altantics tech people and got some free swag from them.

Anyway, garage areas are very nice. The track a nice combination of speed and technical. We share a picnic table with a Star Mazda team and driver who said they really liked the track and it is now one of their favorites.

However,the second track in the complex, while shorter, looks more interesting to drive. We wandered over to watch Porsche club GT3s turn. It also has much better sight lines for viewing. At the main track they really need to build some viewing mounds to see over the guardrails.

Mike Lawler
09-15-08, 01:25 PM
Trev and I motored to South Jersey yesterday..

So from the photos, what is that large ugly crooked "beach ball on a stick" they are constructing outside the track? Looks like a water tower.

Mike

Andrew Longman
09-15-08, 01:37 PM
Trev and I motored to South Jersey yesterday..

So from the photos, what is that large ugly crooked "beach ball on a stick" they are constructing outside the track? Looks like a water tower.

Mike

Yes that would be a water tower. Looks to be about 90% constructed and has a crane on top for moving pieces into place. I actually studied it a bit because I never thought about the difficulties of constructing a water tower. Its one of those things that until you have all the pieces in place seems prone to fall apart.

Fio1
09-18-08, 12:43 AM
When the track is finished, it will be great! The other track looks like a lot of fun; that long banked 180 looks like a great corner. Also, the club house is cool.

Was it dusty as heck? Especially in the car park area? Overall I liked the track. Millville is a neat little town with a lot of history. The little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant on the way to the track was actually decent. If they are able to get rid of crack-city-USA on second street (everyday I saw a guy on a bike dealing crack) the town will be even better. Hopefully this track brings some industry down there and turns the town around.

Andrew Longman
09-18-08, 08:51 AM
Not dusty. We had a good rain the night before. The 180 is very cool. We sat and watch Porsche GT3s fly through it. Reminds me of the old turn at Monza.

The Clubhouse is nice and they have a first class restaurant there if you choose. I stuck with the cheeseburger and fries from the track which was actually quite large and good on a fine hard roll.

The town is trying for a turn around. Apparently there is a economic development group trying to make a tourist triangle our of AC, Cape May and Millville with the track and airport being a big part of it. Tough nut though. Millville hasn't really had any reason for being in a long time.

Corner5
09-18-08, 11:43 AM
Here are the photos-

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/Event/Photos.asp?EventID=280&GalleryDay=9/13/2008

I guess the track is a work in progress.

Andrew Longman
09-18-08, 10:06 PM
http://www.champcaratlantic.com/content/photos/2008/By800/20080913P_0008.jpg

This was a sweet looking car and Franky's extended family was all there (he's from Jersey) to support him.

He actually ran a pretty good race and looked pretty good.

swift
09-18-08, 11:42 PM
http://www.champcaratlantic.com/content/photos/2008/By800/20080915P_0013.jpg

why do I hear the voice of Waylon Jennings in my head when I see this pic?