PDA

View Full Version : Monza, Monza, Monza!

Gnam
09-12-08, 07:31 PM
More drama than a storm coverage preempted Days of our Lives episode: ;)
1. Massa v. Kimi
2. Massa v. Massa
3. Ferrari v. Hamilton
4. McLaren v. FIA
5. Seabass v. the future

Should be good racing, which means it will probably be a boring cake walk.

OW
09-12-08, 11:35 PM
Alarm set - even for Q1 Q2 and Q3

SurfaceUnits
09-13-08, 11:42 AM
Even though the Ferrari team failed miserably, Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel gave the Italian fans (tifosi) something to cheer about when he won the pole position in a wet qualifying session for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza. Vettel became the youngest driver in Formula One history to secure a pole position. Heikki Kovalainen was 2nd and Mark Webber 3rd. Sebastien Bourdais gave Toro Rosso two cars in the top-4 when he just missed out on 3rd in the waning minutes.

OW
09-13-08, 01:30 PM
I don't know...........
But it might be all about the Rear Wing set up....
Rosso has hard Rear Wing and that's better for Rain....
The ""Varsity""...prolly set up with less Rear Wing...

Cause you can't change between Q and the Race...

So..if it is clear skies for the race this WILL. BE. FUN.

OW

Sean Malone
09-13-08, 01:32 PM

OW

For a lap or two.

OW
09-13-08, 01:45 PM
Sean....
Did you say that cause the "varsity" will blow right through?

That's what I take from your comment

Sean Malone
09-13-08, 03:58 PM
Sean....
Did you say that cause the "varsity" will blow right through?

That's what I take from your comment

Yeppers.

Insomniac
09-13-08, 05:19 PM
Is the assumption that Heikki is on the most wet setup, then Massa and Kimi/Hamilton are on the driest? Or did they really mess up Q2 at the beginning? Massa was able to get into Q3 (barely), but by that point the SPEED crew had been going on and on about Hamilton going out on the intermediates for well over a lap.

OW
09-13-08, 06:13 PM
the assumption...

opinionated ow
09-13-08, 09:40 PM
I don't know...........
But it might be all about the Rear Wing set up....
Rosso has hard Rear Wing and that's better for Rain....
The ""Varsity""...prolly set up with less Rear Wing...

Cause you can't change between Q and the Race...

OW
I am pretty sure that they are allowed to make some adjustments between the release of cars from Parc Ferme. IIRC wings and tyres are allowed to be adjusted-even on the grid.

OW
09-13-08, 10:25 PM
I am pretty sure that they are allowed to make some adjustments between the release of cars from Parc Ferme. IIRC wings and tyres are allowed to be adjusted-even on the grid.

Not rear

cameraman
09-13-08, 11:37 PM
All the fast laps in Q2 were set while Hamilton and Kimi were in the pits changing tires. They went out, the inters sucked, they came back in all the while the rain increased. By the time they got back out with their full wets the conditions had deteriorated to the point where nobody was able to increase their times. It isn't the set up, they simply screwed the pooch in Q2.

nissan gtp
09-14-08, 09:42 AM
fantastic win by TR and Vettle. They got it perfect all weekend long.

will done :thumbup:

NismoZ
09-14-08, 09:44 AM
How about THAT!:D

OW
09-14-08, 10:06 AM
WonderFully..... Upside...Down

TedN
09-14-08, 10:36 AM
That was most excellent!!

Ted

:thumbup:

opinionated ow
09-14-08, 10:46 AM
Sebastian mania! Go Vettel. Vettel, Bourdais and Hohenthal-the three Sebastians will change the face of Formula One!

JT265
09-14-08, 02:31 PM
fantastic win by TR and Vettle. They got it perfect all weekend long.

will done :thumbup:

WIll done indeed! :thumbup::p

extramundane
09-14-08, 04:36 PM
Just got through watching it on DVR. Outf'nstanding run by Vettel & STR. No ifs ands or buts, no penalties, no gifts, nothing- Minardi just plain outclassed the rest ;)

Bob on the podium + no podiums for Jesus Hamilton & The Red Cars = a good day.

:thumbup:

Edit: Funny to hear the German anthem followed by the Italian and not see the Chopping Chin Bastard (TM) up there.

Lux Interior
09-14-08, 04:54 PM
Excellent to see Vettel, Heikki, and Kubica up there on the podium. Vettel drove steady and seemed to be in control all the way. Reminded me of seeing Schumi again.

The Speed TV team was saying they brought in a guy who was the engineer for Senna and a bunch of other greats. Looks like it worked out. :thumbup:

devilmaster
09-14-08, 06:39 PM
holy cow... :eek:

Forza Minardi (well what's left of it...) :thumbup:

oddlycalm
09-14-08, 07:02 PM
When Vettel replaced Kubica last year I remember thinking that we would be seeing him win races someday. I had no idea it would be so soon and that it would be in a Toro Rosso. Their recent form is no fluke, the car is fast the team is clicking and Vettel is a serious talent. Heartbreaker for Bourdais two weekdends in a row, but that's racing.

Hamiliton put on quite a wet driving display as well from 15th on the grid.

oc

opinionated ow
09-14-08, 08:00 PM
When Vettel replaced Kubica last year I remember thinking that we would be seeing him win races someday. I had no idea it would be so soon and that it would be in a Toro Rosso. Their recent form is no fluke, the car is fast the team is clicking and Vettel is a serious talent. Heartbreaker for Bourdais two weekdends in a row, but that's racing.

oc

Dirty Chopping Bastard. So many of those moves he pulled were dirty. Moving past them and chopping across their nose, pushing the other off the road. Using way more curb than should have been allowed. Even Martin Brundle said he was pushing his luck with the stewards.

ilferrari
09-15-08, 08:16 AM
Hamilton was mediocre for the first few laps when it was extremely wet, and at the end when they were all on inters. During the middle phase of the race when it started to dry and they were all on wets, he just found more grip than everyone else, made some great passes, it was impressive stuff and I thought he had a shot at winning until it got too dry.

Methanolandbrats
09-15-08, 08:27 AM
Dirty Chopping Bastard. So many of those moves he pulled were dirty. Moving past them and chopping across their nose, pushing the other off the road. Using way more curb than should have been allowed. Even Martin Brundle said he was pushing his luck with the stewards.:thumbup: Exactly, dirty round headed, chopping bastard.

Cam
09-15-08, 09:25 AM
Once again the red brigade rears its ugly head. :shakehead

Sean Malone
09-15-08, 09:58 AM

oc

and yet I still can't help but think of Monaco '96. I'm going to need to see a couple more dry races to fully get into Vettelmania.

opinionated ow
09-15-08, 10:34 AM

And I am neither Ferrari or Mclaren supporter...

Methanolandbrats
09-15-08, 10:48 AM
I wear a Bob Kubica Hat.............and I enjoy fishing for Brits :D

Insomniac
09-15-08, 02:17 PM
Dirty Chopping Bastard. So many of those moves he pulled were dirty. Moving past them and chopping across their nose, pushing the other off the road. Using way more curb than should have been allowed. Even Martin Brundle said he was pushing his luck with the stewards.

I disagree on the curbs, well most of it. Chopping across the front may be "dirty" but it's an advantage you have given the aero rules. He isn't clipping anyone. On the curbs, I think if you don't put all 4 wheels on the curb, knock yourself out.

Insomniac
09-15-08, 02:20 PM
That was a cool race. I felt bad for Bourdais though. It could've been a really, really good day for Toro Rosso. How much does Kimi have to suck in the rain before the SPEED crew stops saying he's a great wet weather driver? Hamilton has guts out there. He reminds me of PT, except you know, he doesn't drive to either win or nothing. :D

Boatdesigner
09-15-08, 03:01 PM
I disagree on the curbs, well most of it. Chopping across the front may be "dirty" but it's an advantage you have given the aero rules. He isn't clipping anyone. On the curbs, I think if you don't put all 4 wheels on the curb, knock yourself out.

I thought I saw him put all 4 on the curbs when he passed Kimi. I saw some others doing it as well, but it did make me wonder why they had curbs and chicanes if they were allowed to drive straight over them with all 4 wheels. Many moons ago, didn't they put a cone or pylon up at the chicanes to force them to go around, or am I just confusing Monza with an old CART race? It's tough getting old!:(

Accipiter
09-15-08, 04:06 PM
I think it's funny how Hamilton fans can fool themselves into thinking he isn't just as ruthless a driver as Michael Schmacher was despite the mountain of glaring evidence that he is.

Insomniac
09-15-08, 04:34 PM
I thought I saw him put all 4 on the curbs when he passed Kimi. I saw some others doing it as well, but it did make me wonder why they had curbs and chicanes if they were allowed to drive straight over them with all 4 wheels. Many moons ago, didn't they put a cone or pylon up at the chicanes to force them to go around, or am I just confusing Monza with an old CART race? It's tough getting old!:(

I wish I could help you out on your memory. I didn't really start watching F1 until 2002/2003 or so.

I didn't really notice he put 4 up. Just looked like some nice hard driving.

But I remember the Massa pass on Rosberg and thought he has to give that back. It looked like (when it happened) he put all 4 up on the curbs. They later showed a replay kind of from above and he had only put 2 up (and most of his car) to make that pass so I figured he was safe. Then a few laps later he was slowing up to let Rosberg back past him, so I guess not. I'd just like to see consistency. If someone else used as much curb to pass someone, I hope they asked them to give back the position. (Of course, how you determine if someone gained time despite not passing someone in those racing conditions is tough.)

oddlycalm
09-15-08, 05:06 PM
I think it's funny how Hamilton fans can fool themselves into thinking he isn't just as ruthless a driver as Michael Schmacher was despite the mountain of glaring evidence that he is.
No illusions on my part. Hamilton is the most aggressive driver since MS to drive in F1. I wish there had been a couple years of overlap. :D On the other hand, Hamiton's head is the proper shape....:gomer:

I'm not in favor of any driver getting a pass from the officials, but I am in favor or the rules being applied consistently. MS got dinged with some serious penalties over the years and a lot of people think he deserved a lot more. 10yrs from now we'll probably be arguing the same about Hamilton, but by then he'll have won a lot of races. Drivers like Massa can win if they manage to get to the front on the first lap, but we won't see Massa winning from a mid-grid start like MS did. Hamilton is the only current drive that has the stones to do that kind of overtaking IMO. Kimi used to, but it appears he's lent them out.

oc

STD
09-15-08, 05:38 PM
and yet I still can't help but think of Monaco '96. I'm going to need to see a couple more dry races to fully get into Vettelmania.

:eek: Not even close to Monaco 1996. :eek:
Vettel controlled the race from the start to finish. His straight line speed also showed he was running with lesser down force than most.
He has been coming on of late, as has Toro Rosso.

I think I'm going to be sorry to see him in Red Barf's A team next season.

Panis got the rare F1 gift wrap.
He had much better race drives that most never noticed.

Sean Malone
09-15-08, 10:02 PM
Vettel controlled the race from the start to finish. His straight line speed also showed he was running with lesser down force than most.

:D

Allow me to be the first at OC to dub him 'Jesus Vettel'. :gomer:

I got nuthin' against the kid other than he's goofy looking. I doubt he'll match up to Hamiltonmania though.

He's earned himself a top tier ride.

Rogue Leader
09-15-08, 10:58 PM

I agree, Panis won because he happened to be ahead of the only other two cars that were left running after everyone hit everything else but the lottery and their own yachts and helicopters.

This win as far different, and definitely Great!

Sean Malone
09-16-08, 09:49 AM
I agree, Panis won because he happened to be ahead of the only other two cars that were left running after everyone hit everything else but the lottery and their own yachts and helicopters.

This win as far different, and definitely Great!

Yep, because it wasn't Monaco. :gomer:

Gnam
09-16-08, 01:09 PM
Good race. :thumbup:

* I like that Vettel is not a robot during the interviews.
* I thought Hamilton could be penalized for avoidable contact when Weber tried to pass him in Turn 1.
* Bourdais...c'mon man! :shakehead

oddlycalm
09-16-08, 04:43 PM
:He's earned himself a top tier ride.
Ironically, it appears he may currently be in one of the top tier rides. Toro Rosso.... who knew...? :laugh: Red Bull is looking like step down to me.

oc

Michaelhatesfans
09-17-08, 01:41 AM
Hamilton is the most aggressive driver since MS to drive in F1. I wish there had been a couple years of overlap.

Don't get me started on that subject!:laugh:

The hours I've lost thinking of the fact that we were only two years away from having Gilles and Ayrton on the same track... :\

STD
09-19-08, 02:05 PM
:D

Allow me to be the first at OC to dub him 'Jesus Vettel'. :gomer:

:rofl: :gomer:

devilmaster
10-04-14, 01:53 PM
Flashback!

Actually, reading the news about Vettel splitting with Red Bull reminded me of his first win with the Toro Rosso team... Which made me wonder about the original race thread.

A bit of fun to read the comments knowing now what we know.

And, Miss ya Cam and OC