PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question - can't delete a folder!

Warlock!
09-10-08, 07:24 AM
Ok... so I downloaded a .rar file - which may or may not have been pr0n related - just as I've done several times before from a particular forum. File name was B.B Boring.rar. I extract it as per usual and it puts it in a folder on my desktop, just like always, named B.B _Boring. I open the folder and double-click the file therein, aptly named B.B _Boring.avi and watch a pretty boring movie clip. After 30 or so seconds I become... well... bored. I close the player and delete the file. Then I close the folder in which it resided and attempt to delete the folder as well.

*Error chime*

Cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source file or disk.

WTF? The folder is empty... why won't it delete?

Then I look at the folder's name - B.B _Boring - and realize there's a period in the name... something I didn't think Windows would allow me to do if I were naming it myself. I try changing the name of the folder.

*Error chime*

Cannot rename file. Cannot read from the source file or disk.

I can't rename, can't delete... what can I do? I can't rename, can't delete... what can I do? Goodie-two, Goodie-two, Goodie, Goodie Two shoes...

(ahem... sorry)

Anyways... is there a way I can get this folder out of my life so I can continue to download files without fear of clogging my desktop with unwanted folders? Whassup???

Insomniac
09-10-08, 09:02 AM
A period is a valid character in a folder name. Try rebooting and then deleting the folder. If that doesn't work, take a look at the file permissions. It's possible something has a file/folder lock on it and it was never released.

Stu
09-10-08, 09:17 AM
Ok... so I downloaded a .rar file - which may or may not have been pr0n related.....

After 30 or so seconds I become... well... bored.

thats all it took? :saywhat:

Warlock!
09-10-08, 10:57 AM
A period is a valid character in a folder name. Try rebooting and then deleting the folder. If that doesn't work, take a look at the file permissions. It's possible something has a file/folder lock on it and it was never released.

I've rebooted a couple times but I get the same error message. How do I check the file permissions? I've tried right-clicking the folder and have gone into the properties but nothing seems out of line. If I try to change any of the attributes (like trying to change it to read only, hidden, etc.) an error message comes up and it says it can't find the specified file. I've checked it w/ every virus program I have and it always comes up clean.

Goofy.

thats all it took?
Hey... I haven't got time for storylines or sub-plots. :D

datachicane
09-10-08, 11:29 AM
Try opening a command prompt, navigating to your desktop (type 'cd' then paste the path from your explorer window, enter), and type 'dir B*ring /x' (no quotes). This will show the short directory name, probably something like BFA9D~1.B_B. Type 'del BFA9D~1.B_B' (no quotes), enter, and you'll be good for the files, 'rd BFA9D~1.B_B' for the directory.

redmist
09-10-08, 04:55 PM
try this.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

rocket
09-10-08, 11:05 PM
Just change your desktop color to black and put a piece of electrical tape over the folder.:p

Warlock!
09-11-08, 07:44 AM
try this.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

I'll give this a go, as I ran thru datachicane's tutorial with no success. :(

Methanolandbrats
09-11-08, 07:49 AM
Just change your desktop color to black and put a piece of electrical tape over the folder.:p
If that does'nt work, format the hard drive. :gomer:

Warlock!
09-11-08, 08:08 AM
Thanks Redmist, worked like a charm. :thumbup: