PDA

View Full Version : I am not liking Ike

Pages : [1] 2

Ankf00
09-09-08, 08:58 PM
need some weather to push that sumbitch to the Valley, sorry mexico.

plus it might **** up the Arky game

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_5day.gif

dando
09-09-08, 09:07 PM
Y'all need the rain, yo. :gomer: I'd better check on my Austin bud (not Teemu) who has a house on the Gulf near Galveston. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
09-09-08, 09:07 PM
No kidding. Hopefully I'm far enough up the coast but the east side is going to get us.

Heading to Academy to pick up some provisions just in case. Oh ya, and to Specs for more provisions. :thumbup:

Checkout the Gustav swell off of Surfside.

Sean Malone
09-09-08, 09:54 PM
I thought this was an Eisenhower bashing thread. I forgot about the hurricane. :gomer:

KLang
09-10-08, 06:47 AM
We could really use some rain out where I am. :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
09-10-08, 10:04 AM
You're going to get it Klang.

eiregosod
09-10-08, 10:40 AM
a grate day for golf

JLMannin
09-10-08, 11:13 AM
Wow! Thiss expected to be tropical storm strentgh over central Texas? That will make a mess.

KLang
09-10-08, 11:29 AM
You're going to get it Klang.

Maybe, this guy seems to be wobbling around a bit.

I thought we would get something out of Gustav but it swung to far north.

If Ike follows the path currently projected there is going be a bunch of soggy
Texans this weekend.

dando
09-10-08, 12:02 PM
We could really use some rain out where I am. :thumbup:

Careful what you ask for.... :\

-Kevin

KLang
09-10-08, 12:31 PM
Careful what you ask for.... :\

-Kevin

I know. Actually, feast or famine is the norm for rain around here.

Hopefully this time there won't be a Rita type panic.

Ankf00
09-10-08, 12:52 PM
so much for arky.

I'll have to settle for watching the fighting coolhand's pound the most overrated squad in the country into the ground. :)

dando
09-10-08, 12:54 PM
I'll have to settle for watching the fighting coolhand's pound the most overrated squad in the country into the ground. :)

:irked: :saywhat: :mad:

On the bright side, more time to play with your VY dolls. :laugh: :gomer:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
09-10-08, 12:55 PM
Maybe, this guy seems to be wobbling around a bit.

I thought we would get something out of Gustav but it swung to far north.

If Ike follows the path currently projected there is going be a bunch of soggy
Texans this weekend.

Ike is huge, we'll get wet with this one . . .

dando
09-10-08, 01:08 PM
Ike is huge, we'll get wet with this one . . .

Y'all and a few more states. I just hope it gets the heck through here and the east coast for my NYC/BOS trip next weekend.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-10-08, 02:03 PM
:irked: :saywhat: :mad:

On the bright side, more time to play with your VY dolls. :laugh: :gomer:

-Kevin

VY doll. Sears/ADT crystal football included.

Wheel-Nut
09-10-08, 02:18 PM
^^^ and chicken wings?

Ankf00
09-10-08, 03:06 PM
models shifting north. GFDL, supposedly the most accurate one w/in 48 hours, shows it coming right up galveston bay.

no bueno.

dando
09-10-08, 03:58 PM
models shifting north. GFDL, supposedly the most accurate one w/in 48 hours, shows it coming right up galveston bay.

no bueno.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_model.gif

:(

'Nut, Klang and T7 stay safe, yo.

-Kevin

KLang
09-10-08, 04:07 PM
Trying to look on the bright side.......

Maybe this means my sister in-law won't be flying in for a visit on Friday. :p

Wheel-Nut
09-10-08, 04:32 PM

:(

'Nut, Klang and T7 stay safe, yo.

-Kevin

That's one hell of a hook. :eek:

Time to get serious about preparations.

Ankf00
09-10-08, 05:20 PM
currently projected to be a Cat 2 over DKR on saturday.

do razorbacks fly?

dando
09-10-08, 05:28 PM
That's one hell of a hook. :eek:

Time to get serious about preparations.

Ummm, in golfspeak that's a slice, yo. ;)

-Kevin

dando
09-10-08, 05:34 PM
do razorbacks fly?

Not D. Mac and Felix left.... :gomer:

-Kevin

KLang
09-10-08, 05:38 PM
The track from the last few updates seems to have settled down some. Hopefully it stays on course to stay to the south of Houston.

Wheel-Nut
09-10-08, 05:46 PM
Ummm, in golfspeak that's a slice, yo. ;)

-Kevin

but I'm a Southpaw. :D

Ankf00
09-10-08, 06:16 PM
The track from the last few updates seems to have settled down some. Hopefully it stays on course to stay to the south of Houston.

way, way south. or east of town. NEast side == dirty side. Carla did more than her fair share of damage and she landed near Matagorda

dando
09-10-08, 06:47 PM
way, way south. or east of town. NEast side == dirty side. Carla did more than her fair share of damage and she landed near Matagorda

Yup. Upper right quad is not where you want to be. :\

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-10-08, 09:09 PM
Do you Gulfers have generators? I'd kill myself in that climate if the AC was out for more than 12 hours. Other than that, beer, bread and smoked meat should be survival essentials. Good luck to all of you.

Indy
09-11-08, 03:00 AM
Cool, rain coming.

Was that insensitive? :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 09:23 AM
Cool, rain coming.

Was that insensitive? :gomer:

The short answer, YES.

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 09:33 AM
Do you Gulfers have generators? I'd kill myself in that climate if the AC was out for more than 12 hours. Other than that, beer, bread and smoked meat should be survival essentials. Good luck to all of you.

I don't but my parents 15K watt. I do have a small A/C window unit. I'll be re-locating to their house if it gets too bad.

Picking up beer and other essentials later today. Filling the extra propane bottle and hoping for the best.

KLang
09-11-08, 10:35 AM
Stocked up a bit last night. We normally have a plenty of stuff in the pantry anyway.

I have a small generator but it wouldn't drive any of the central AC units. We talked once about a whole house unit but didn't follow through. May have to revisit that. I can power a fridge and fans if needed.

At work waiting for management to decide what we are going to do. I'm leaving this afternoon regardless.

dando
09-11-08, 10:52 AM
Good news is that it hasn't strengthened as projected yet. Still @ 100 mph as of the 11am advisory.

The other good news is I get to watch more of this:

http://blog.jayperkins.com/mt/jayblog/archives/sa091204z05.jpg

:cool:

-Kevin

KLang
09-11-08, 10:58 AM
Weather Channel is in HD now. :D

Methanolandbrats
09-11-08, 10:59 AM
Good news is that it hasn't strengthened as projected yet. Still @ 100 mph as of the 11am advisory.

-Kevin It's going to move over warmer water, the pressure will drop. This looks like a major disaster in the making if it makes landfall to the west of Galveston :(

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 11:30 AM
View from the seawall off of G-town. The pier deck in the background is 15' above the waterline under normal conditions.

The 60 mile bouy off of Freeport is reporting 10.8' seas at 14 second intervals.

dando
09-11-08, 11:50 AM
Weather Channel is in HD now. :D

Not here. :cry:

-Kevin

dando
09-11-08, 11:55 AM
It's going to move over warmer water, the pressure will drop. This looks like a major disaster in the making if it makes landfall to the west of Galveston :(

It likely will intensify further, but they moved the forecast down to 105 knot max from 110 and 115 as previously forecast. Hopefully this means that it won't make it to a cat 4 storm as had been suggested last night. Of course forecasting hurricanes is a crap shoot. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-11-08, 12:38 PM
it's the storm surge hitting the coast and coming up the bays that's going to **** **** up if it stays as big as it is and keeps tracking closer to freeport and the west end. no me gusta :\

also, just regurgitating information from this morning here: pressure dropped drastically overnight but eyewall speeds didn't increase to match, instead outer winds picked up, something like 145 miles of hurricane winds. also from Jeff Masters' blog, apparently the storm's bringing metric f***tons of water with it

The amount of water Ike has put in motion is about 50% greater than what Katrina did, and thus we can expect Ike's storm surge damage will be similar to or greater than Katrina's. The way we can estimate this damage potential is to compute the total energy of Ike's surface winds (kinetic energy). To do this, we must look at how strong the winds are, and factor in the areal coverage of these winds. Thus, we compute the Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) by squaring the velocity of the wind and summing over all regions of the hurricane with tropical storm force winds or higher. This "Integrated Kinetic Energy" was recently proposed by Dr. Mark Powell of NOAA's Hurricane Research Division as a better measure of the destructive power of a hurricane's storm surge than the usual Category 1-5 Saffir-Simpson scale. For example, Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi as a strong Category 3 hurricane, yet its storm surge was more characteristic of a Category 5 storm. Dr. Powell came up with a new scale to rate potential storm surge damage based on IKE (not to be confused with Hurricane Ike!) The new scale ranges from 1-6. Katrina and Wilma at their peaks both earned a 5.1 on this scale (Figure 2). At 9:30am EDT this morning, Ike earned a 5.6 on this scale, the highest kinetic energy of any Atlantic storm in the past 40 years.

:\

Methanolandbrats
09-11-08, 01:02 PM
Wow, that blog stuff was interesting.

dando
09-11-08, 01:12 PM
it's the storm surge hitting the coast and coming up the bays that's going to **** **** up if it stays as big as it is and keeps tracking closer to freeport and the west end. no me gusta :\

also, just regurgitating information from this morning here: pressure dropped drastically overnight but eyewall speeds didn't increase to match, instead outer winds picked up, something like 145 miles of hurricane winds. also from Jeff Masters' blog, apparently the storm's bringing metric f***tons of water with it

:\

115 miles based on the 10am CT report. 275 miles out for TS winds. That is one huge storm. :( TWC was also talking about the water piling into NOLA and Mississippi as Ike passes. Something 14' surges. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-11-08, 01:25 PM
View from the seawall off of G-town. The pier deck in the background is 15' above the waterline under normal conditions.

The 60 mile bouy off of Freeport is reporting 10.8' seas at 14 second intervals.

read another buoy this morning reporting 29' :\

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 01:30 PM
Bouy 42001 - 180 nautical miles south of Southwest Pass, La.

30' seas 54 knot gust.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42001

Methanolandbrats
09-11-08, 01:31 PM
read another buoy this morning reporting 29' :\
Is that in open ocean? That means MUCH higher once they climb the seafloor slope near shore. Angle of slope determines peak height and when they break.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 01:35 PM
Hope you boys like paying more for gas b/c this bitch has shut down the western gulf and will affect refining ops for at least a few days on a wide scale

dando
09-11-08, 02:08 PM
Same speed as of 1pm CT update. Pressure up slightly.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
09-11-08, 02:45 PM
Hope you boys like paying more for gas b/c this bitch has shut down the western gulf and will affect refining ops for at least a few days on a wide scale

True, but kind of minor compared to the hit that those in it's path are gonna take. :(

oc

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 03:14 PM
I've read wholesale gas prices have risen $1 today.

http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/wholesale_gasoline_prices_shoo.html

KLang
09-11-08, 03:17 PM
Shortages reported all over too. I went to our local station about 9:00 last night to fill up my generator supply. Place was swamped and all they had left was V-Power.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 03:22 PM
Read 3x the usual amount of fuel is being distributed in the area...

good news, moving east. bad news, current track is worst possible scenario for Houston

Gnam
09-11-08, 03:42 PM
also, just regurgitating information from this morning here:
pressure dropped drastically overnight but eyewall speeds didn't increase to match, instead outer winds picked up, something like 145 miles of hurricane winds. also from Jeff Masters' blog, apparently the storm's bringing metric f***tons of water with it :\
For those not familiar with SI units,
(1) f***ton is equal to a s***load in english units.

Florida - Fay
NOLA - Gustav
Mississippi - Gustav
Texas - Ike
Carolinas - Hanna

Who did Alabama pay off? ;)

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 03:56 PM
If anyone is interested here are some links to personal weather stations in the area.

Freeport Area -

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXFREEP2

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXFREEP3

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MBZRT2

dando
09-11-08, 04:01 PM
Who did Alabama pay off? ;)

Dude, even hurricanes got taste, yo. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-11-08, 04:08 PM
I don't liek this storm surge model based on west end landfall. CL == 19' :eek:

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/stormsurgewestendgalv.jpg

G.
09-11-08, 05:17 PM
That's going to remove Galveston!

Stay safe, Texans.

Stay safe.

Be sure to blog it here, as well.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 06:00 PM
Galveston NWS advisory

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.

you don't really see "certain death" in weather advisories often enough these days...

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/ike_now_targeti.html

Ike still has 100 mph winds, but its central pressure has begun falling again so further intensification is anticipated tonight or tomorrow.

As a result I see one of the following scenarios as the most likely to play out during the next two days. One is good for the nation's fourth largest city. The other ... is not.

1. Hurricane Alicia-redux, with a stronger surge. This scenario is most likely if the official forecast of a 120-mph hurricane hitting Galveston Island holds up.

Here's some background on Alicia:

After forming just south of Louisiana on the 15th, the storm drifted westward and intensified quickly into a Category 3 hurricane before making landfall on the west end of Galveston Island in the early morning hours of the 18th The highest winds recorded on land were 96 mph sustained, and gusts were up to 127 mph.

On the gulf side of Galveston Island, tides were 7.5', and on the bay they were 8'. Baytown, on the north shore of Galveston Bay, recorded a 10.7' tide which put water on the rooftops in the Brownwood subdivision. Severe freshwater flooding was minimized by Alicia's fast movement inland, and most damage was the result of wind and storm surge or a combination of the two.

The biggest difference between Alicia and Ike is that the latter storm is larger, and has been over the Gulf of Mexico longer, and therefore has the potential to deliver a much greater surge. How much? Potentially as much as 20 feet in some locations, but more likely 12 to 15 feet along Galveston Island.

The following image shows where Alicia and Carla re-located the Jamaica Beach shoreline to after their landfalls. For the purposes of Ike, under this scenario, a Carla-like surge is definitely possible.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/finalcarlaalicia.jpg

Haiyan Yang

As Jeff Masters has pointed out, despite its relatively low wind speeds, Ike has been moving a lot of water in the Gulf of Mexico. This means the storm is unlikely to have a surge characteristic of a category 2 or smallish- category 3 hurricane. Size matters, and Ike's big.

The second scenario is much more favorable to Houston.

2. Near-miss to the east. This is the realistic best-case scenario for Houston. Here's why it's possible.

For the last 36 hours or so the models have trended eastward, which is reflected by the official track moving from Matagorda Bay to Galveston Island. Persistence, the notion that trends are more likely to continue than not, and climatology suggest this may continue.

If it does track eastward, a landfall around High Island is probably far enough east to spare most of Houston's city limits from hurricane-force winds.

As I showed earlier this week, the landfall location of Ike is critical for determining where the maximum surge occurs. And a landfall around High Island would substantially reduce the surge on Galveston Island, possibly even to below six feet.

Unfortunately such a scenario is by far the worst one for residents of the Beaumont-Port Arthur area, who would face Ike's strongest winds and a potentially devastating storm surge.

Of course there are myriad possibilities with Ike. The storm could still intensify during the next 24 hours and come ashore between Freeport and Galveston stronger than Alicia, in which case the situation for Houston and Galveston would be catastrophic.

At this time I don't foresee Ike coming in far enough to the west (i.e. over west Matagorda Bay) to spare Houston. No offense to the good people who live near Matagorda Bay, of course.

go east mother ****er, go east. sorry golden triangle.

bet the surf kayaking would be ridiculous though

http://localpaddler.com/gallery/BW0000155.jpg

KLang
09-11-08, 06:38 PM
If anyone is interested here are some links to personal weather stations in the area.

I didn't know that was available there. :)

I set up my weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXFULSH2

Now I have to figure out how to automate the uploads.

dando
09-11-08, 08:11 PM
High tide is ~5am Sat, so tides will be on the way up and not down if the expected landfall is ~12am Sat. :(

TWC just reported a new high peak gust of 139mph measured by a hurricane hunter. :eek:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
09-11-08, 08:22 PM
Nice 'hood KLang. Can you ski in that oxbow lake?

Here is the station close to my house I use for weather.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXDRYCR1

dando
09-11-08, 08:54 PM
OK, now this is eerie. I did some research on the 1900 Galveston hurricane, and check out how similar the track is b/w the 1900 storm and Ike's projected track. :eek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/1900_Galveston_hurricane_track.png/800px-1900_Galveston_hurricane_track.png

-Kevin

KLang
09-11-08, 10:03 PM
Nice 'hood KLang. Can you ski in that oxbow lake?

Here is the station close to my house I use for weather.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXDRYCR1

Not legally. ;)

Manual and electric is all that is allowed. Couldn't pay me to get in that water. :yuck: People do fish it.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 10:09 PM
just fyi, buddy at a wholesaler & buddy at dresser-rand saying gas is almost out throughout the state. stock up now if you have the time & the need. tankers lined up to get filled right now but there's a lack of terminals

dando
09-11-08, 11:10 PM
Forecast changed, strengthening downgraded to 95 knots (~110mph). :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-12-08, 12:20 AM
The official forecast has shifted very moderately eastward, now bringing Ike into land across the east end of Galveston Island. However the inland track is adjusted slightly to the west, bringing the storm's center near downtown Houston.

At this location even a few miles matter. If Ike were to track another 20 or 30 miles eastward up the coast, it's probable that much of Houston would be spared hurricane-force winds, and Galveston Island would see a significantly smaller surge than the 15 feet, or more, presently forecast.

If Ike doesn't move up the coast Galveston and areas along Galveston Bay face a potentially catastrophic storm surge, which the local National Weather Service office has described in the strongest possible terms.

keep heading east mother ****er.

Ankf00
09-12-08, 02:20 AM
new NWS technology, live streaming of hurricane audio

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2008/09/the_sound_of_ike.php

The Sound of Ike
Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 08:24:43 PM

Scientists at the National Hurricane Center are testing out some new technologies that enable us to actually hear hurricanes approaching, even while they are far at sea.

If you’ve ever wondered what a rapidly intensifying, increasingly bad-ass hurricane sounds like when nobody is around

the sound quality is amazing, super neat-o.

cart7
09-12-08, 07:51 AM
As of 5:50am, 30kt sustained wind speed and 15 ft seas 22NM east of Galveston.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42035

Wheel-Nut
09-12-08, 09:22 AM
On a brighter note - it looks like we have a cool front pushing through after landfall. Daytime highs in the mid 80's. Nightime lows in the mid 60's. :thumbup: Sleeping might be bearable.

racermike
09-12-08, 10:00 AM

Thought it woulda sounded more like Ike Turner than Zep

Ike has dismissed any wrong doing by the way

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/pics/93mupdate3.jpg

I didn't touch Texas! I wasn't even there! Everybody's always trying to blame Ike! Ike never did nothing!

G.
09-12-08, 11:27 AM

When The Levee Breaks might be more appropriate.

(Booooo!)
:shakehead

dando
09-12-08, 11:48 AM
On a brighter note - it looks like we have a cool front pushing through after landfall. Daytime highs in the mid 80's. Nightime lows in the mid 60's. :thumbup: Sleeping might be bearable.

That'll work out well for ya while yer waiting for the power to come back on. :gomer: ;)

I'm watching TWC and I'm amazed by the fools out on the sea wall in Galveston. It's already coming up and over the wall and onto the road and it's 12 hours + away. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 11:49 AM

4-AanPHMbC4

:gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-12-08, 11:52 AM

(Booooo!)

no levees in h-town

Ankf00
09-12-08, 11:59 AM
jamaica beach and surfside are underwater. waves breaking atop the seawall. downtown's flooding. water coming up through Kemah's drainage system

landfall's still 12 hours away :saywhat:

cart7
09-12-08, 12:50 PM
22NM east of Galveston. 30knt sustained wind speed, wave height to 20feet. :eek:

Galveston is about to become part of the Gulf of Mexico.

dando
09-12-08, 01:11 PM
KHOU coverage:

http://www.khou.com/video/?nvid=178826&live=yes&noad=yes

20' waves 25 nm offshore. :eek:

Wx guy on KHOU is calling the surge cat 4 or cat 5 size @ 15-20'. IMO, what may be the most devastating part is how long the surge occurs. If we're 12 hours out now and it's as bad as it is already.... :eek:

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 01:17 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/US/weather/09/12/hurricane.ike.texas/t1home.guy.wave.ap.jpg

:eek: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 01:50 PM
no levees in h-town

Texas City does have levees according to KHOU. 20' high, so they might be in trouble with the tide coming in around landfall. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
09-12-08, 02:00 PM
A 20' surge and a 20' levee and they are not evacuating?

Do these idiots realize that surge measurements do not include the wave tops?

G.
09-12-08, 02:04 PM
I thought parts of Hou WERE being evacuated. In-laws left already and my sis is helping evac for people with special medical needs.

What gives?

dando
09-12-08, 02:05 PM

No ****. The KHOU wx reporter used a GPS to measure the levee. :eek: Keep in mind the estimate is 15-20', but considering the tide will be coming in 20' should be the standard.

Morons still seen on the sea wall in Galveston.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/US/weather/09/12/hurricane.ike.texas/t1home.ike.family.ap.jpg

:shakehead :saywhat:

The CG has already rescued 16 peeps who waited too long, and KHOU interviewed a couple in Crystal Beach that waited too long and are stuck in their house with water already under the house. :( :shakehead

No Stephanie Abrams in HD for me. :( ;)

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 02:08 PM
I thought parts of Hou WERE being evacuated. In-laws left already and my sis is helping evac for people with special medical needs.

What gives?

They are, but Texas City has a levee to protect them, so no mandatory evac according to KHOU. Might be too late now. Per KHOU dtown Galveston is under water now. Several feet already. :(

-Kevin

KLang
09-12-08, 02:17 PM

What gives?

Mandatory evacuations were ordered for areas subject to storm surge. Some people are just too stupid to leave.

cameraman
09-12-08, 02:22 PM
It looks like Darwin is going to have quite the harvest:shakehead

Wheel-Nut
09-12-08, 02:24 PM
Here is a first hand report from someone riding it out in G-Town.

It's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. Minor street flooding downtown from water backing up from the storm drains. Seawall is covered with driftwood and trash. Waves are hitting the seawall and splashing up, putting on a good show. The backwash from the waves hitting the next ones coming in is something to see too. The city cut the water to the west end of town. My part of town still has city utilities. In one of the pictures you can see the Flagship fishing pier. If you have a boat out of the water at Payco Marina, it will probably be floating. Got word from one friend that said the boats on the feeder road at 61st St. exit are floating on their trailers. I am really partial to that party barge. The steps to the gift shops and Hooters are washed away.

dando
09-12-08, 02:24 PM
It looks like Darwin is going to have quite the harvest:shakehead

I don't mind seeing the Darwins being selected, but leave the young Darwins behind. :saywhat: :irked: :mad:

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 02:27 PM

I'm sure it's being hyped, but for good reason considering y'all are ~12 hours away from landfall. Now the areas south of G-Town.... :eek:

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 02:30 PM
So now KHOU is interviewing a lady with 3 kids, two of which look to be ~5 year-old twin girls out by the sea wall who refused to leave because she was afraid to come back and find her house gone. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
09-12-08, 02:34 PM
Link to the drill platform Auger. 90+ knot winds

Auger is 164 NM @ 126 degrees from Galveston.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42361

cameraman
09-12-08, 02:41 PM
So now KHOU is interviewing a lady with 3 kids, two of which look to be ~5 year-old twin girls out by the sea wall who refused to leave because she was afraid to come back and find her house gone. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Did the reporter point out that if the house is gone her children will be dead if she stays?:flame:

dando
09-12-08, 02:42 PM
Did the reporter point out that if the house is gone her children will be dead if she stays?:flame:

No, but the talking head in the 'newsroom' did. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-12-08, 02:54 PM

mandatory evac for zones A & B went into effect yesterday.

Ankf00
09-12-08, 02:57 PM

What gives?

only elderly or hospital patients evaced yesterday and the day before. houston proper, most ppl are just riding it out since hte storm surge won't affect the far majority of the metro area. the flooded bayous and inland flooding will get some folks though

Ankf00
09-12-08, 03:00 PM
what up :laugh:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/apgertz/226031003013_0_0.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/apgertz/226031041669_0_0.jpg

Ankf00
09-12-08, 03:29 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2vlvg1v.jpg

:laugh:

Don Quixote
09-12-08, 03:34 PM
It's all funny until somebody gets their eye put out.

cameraman
09-12-08, 04:01 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2vlvg1v.jpg

:laugh:

You watch As the World Turns a lot?

ChampcarShark
09-12-08, 04:04 PM

The steps to the gift shops and Hooters are washed away.[/I]

No we can start panicking. No Hooters no tourism...

dando
09-12-08, 04:38 PM
You watch As the World Turns a lot?

You beat me to it. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
09-12-08, 04:45 PM
KHOU is reporting Galveston Bay will experience a surge of 15-22' now. If that holds, Texas City is screwed. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin