PDA

View Full Version : WGAF amPliFIed!

G.
09-05-08, 02:12 PM
I just read over at Cam's place that the season-ending, Champion-determining race is this weekend. I honestly didn't know that.

I live about an hour from the track.

Nothing. No radio, no TV, Tribune has nada.

For the Championship. :shakehead

I'm actually shocked at the lack of attention the race is getting.

Don Quixote
09-05-08, 02:24 PM
The first rule of aow racing: if it ain't in May, it don't matter.

dando
09-05-08, 02:53 PM
I just read over at Cam's place that the season-ending, Champion-determining race is this weekend. I honestly didn't know that.

Look on the bright side...@ least you won't hafta deal with any traffic going to the race. :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

grungex
09-05-08, 02:56 PM

Ditto. I have been hearing numerous radio ads for some taxicab race, however.

cameraman
09-05-08, 03:00 PM
Look on the bright side...@ least you won't hafta deal with any traffic going to the race. :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

It is kind of like a Grand Am race, you can park right next to the gate no matter what time you show up.

miatanut
09-05-08, 03:04 PM

Certainly where we're headed, if we aren't already there.

SteveH
09-05-08, 03:36 PM

It's sad, isn't G? I live in NW Indiana and haven't seen/heard anything about it, either. If it weren't for the forums, I wouldn't have know, and there's very little on them about it.

It would take me about 1.5 hours to get to the track for me, its an easy drive. Another time, I would have been so pumped for this race. But now, not so much.

Probably couldn't get tickets anyway, could I? ;)

pchall
09-05-08, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Don Quixote

Certainly where we're headed, if we aren't already there.

Status quo ante CART.

miatanut
09-05-08, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Don Quixote

Status quo ante CART.

True, but ante CART, we had multiple chassis, multiple engines, and two tires.

We've now got the bad things about the USAC days without the good things.

miatanut
09-05-08, 06:59 PM
Probably couldn't get tickets anyway, could I? ;)

:rofl:

RusH
09-05-08, 10:29 PM
It is kind of like a Grand Am race, you can park right next to the gate no matter what time you show up.

Even at the 24....showed up at 7:45 AM......parked in front of a fence in 2005 to see PT. No overnight stay required.

:D

pchall
09-06-08, 07:51 AM
True, but ante CART, we had multiple chassis, multiple engines, and two tires.

We've now got the bad things about the USAC days without the good things.

The bad things about IMS/USAC kept the good things from actually becoming great. The disparities between the haves and the have nots was permanent and immutable. Sure, Eldon Rasmussen could build his own car and start 32nd a couple of times between DNQs at Indy but there was no chance for him to do better the way IMS/USAC ran the place treating the teams and drivers like serfs.

miatanut
09-06-08, 02:36 PM
The bad things about IMS/USAC kept the good things from actually becoming great. The disparities between the haves and the have nots was permanent and immutable. Sure, Eldon Rasmussen could build his own car and start 32nd a couple of times between DNQs at Indy but there was no chance for him to do better the way IMS/USAC ran the place treating the teams and drivers like serfs.

I was only half way through high school when the White Paper became public, and I didn't know the details on the politics in the system. I just knew that USAC was IMS's puppet and it always annoyed me the way Indy maintained a separate formula incompatible with the rest of the season, evidently to allow the guy working in his own garage a competitive advantage.

Still, the whole system was reasonably healthy, even if living under IMS's shadow. Now it's living under IMS's shadow and it's unhealthy. Tony Hulman wanted to be top dog, but I'm positive he would never have allowed things to go this way. Not a chance.

SurfaceUnits
09-06-08, 09:23 PM
Mr. 'Unification's assessment of his wish come true:

"I know the reality and it's pretty damn bleak right now."

robin miller

good thing he's an insider or we never would've guessed that :shakehead

SurfaceUnits
09-08-08, 11:20 AM
:gomer:s are reporting DirecTV has seen enough and won't be knocking on TOney's door again. :laugh:

pchall
09-08-08, 01:36 PM
:gomer:s are reporting DirecTV has seen enough and won't be knocking on TOney's door again. :laugh:

The Versus deal will cost the IRL a lot more before a Dallara turns a wheel again at Homestead.

SteveH
09-08-08, 03:29 PM
The Versus deal will cost the IRL a lot more before a Dallara turns a wheel again at Homestead.

I wonder how many viewers it will cost them, considering that the final race has an overnight of .8, they can't lose too many.

Accipiter
09-08-08, 04:42 PM

That might have something to do with Vs. being owned by Comcast cable.

SurfaceUnits
09-08-08, 11:09 PM
it might have something to do with no appreciable ROI

Methanolandbrats
09-08-08, 11:29 PM
It might be because nobody GAF.